Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I once had a gadgeteer who could disintegrate entire groups of Stormtroopers in one round. He had 10 soak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Its also super important to point out that non-force users are probably able to max out their Signature Abilities at the same time a force user can max out a force power. By the time anyones at that level people are making massive game changing actions on a round to round basis.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzz posted:

You could but the amount of exp you'd need to do it is insane, plus the pilots might be able to still out pilot your move attempt and compensate. You need ridiculous dice pools to do stuff like that.

For reference, the game suggests Knight-level to be at +150xp. Even if we consider Master to be triple that, that's 450xp to be the same 'rank' as Windu, Kenobi, Qui-Gon, Dooku, Plo Koon, Yoda... Obviously it's not as clear-cut as that, but like wiegieman said, when you have that much xp, it seems like it would be pretty moot.

Although, a session of a bunch of Master-level characters kicking rear end could be fun. Don't think a campaign of that would be a good idea though.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah, any character with Jury Rigged can start dealing death absurdly easy. From what I remember, the "change any single effect by one" means you can change Autofire to 1 Advantage and you're now dealing crazy death with a Heavy Blaster Rifle or above. Jedi powers scaling unevenly isn't nearly as bad as some of the combos you can pull with other character. I'm not sure if it still holds up, but a Doctor Punchface character used to be some of the best damage you could get if you stacked talents right.

In most campaigns, pulling out the crazy Jedi moves is also probably going to pull an absurd amount of notice as well so it's somewhat self-balancing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Also its important to point out the only force power that spikes insanely hard is Move, all the others (in the core books anyway) are fine relatively speaking. And yeah as stated many times, the most terrifying thing a force user can deal with is a maxed out Bounty Hunter.

Serperoth posted:

For reference, the game suggests Knight-level to be at +150xp. Even if we consider Master to be triple that, that's 450xp to be the same 'rank' as Windu, Kenobi, Qui-Gon, Dooku, Plo Koon, Yoda... Obviously it's not as clear-cut as that, but like wiegieman said, when you have that much xp, it seems like it would be pretty moot.

Although, a session of a bunch of Master-level characters kicking rear end could be fun. Don't think a campaign of that would be a good idea though.

Yeah don't really think about this. 150xp is not movie jedi knight in the slightest and is usually just enough to have you finished your first tree. Its a early start kind of game mode. I've gotten a group to 450xp and its not as insane as it sounds, surprisingly things level out a lot in terms of power scaling due to everyone wanting to get a bunch of odd talents/abilities. The most dangerous thing in our group was actually our Soldier/Commando + Hired Gun/Mercenary combo mostly due to True Aim being ridiculous and our Colonist/Doctor + Hired Gun/Marauder due to Pressure Points again being so broken. We ended up giving a minor nerf to True Aim to bring it in line with the rest of the game and got rid of the 'ignore soak' part of Pressure points so the wookie doctor wasn't just clobbering people for 20 damage ignoring soak. Other than that the game works pretty well, stormtrooper squads of 6 were what the group was considering a weak enemy but its not like its difficult to up the power level of things.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 17, 2016

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, 150 is more of an apprentice level. At that point you probably have some decent talents, a second force die and a couple of force powers with some upgrades. It's enough to be barely competent at being Jedi-ish. To have good odds of pulling off the stuff that you see the knights doing, you'd probably need to be more around 250.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Oh huh, I'd have figured Knight would have been "proper Jedi" rather than "Padawan graduate". Good to know though, I'll have that in mind.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I'm in a campaign still running from when Edge of the Empire launched, we are at 1100exp.

To make certain skill checks difficult the GM has to throw 5 red dice and 4 black at our core skills, but your non-triangle focused abilities are a lot less wacky, we've been trying to branch out into different areas and spread ourselves a little as it becomes a trifle ludicrous.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

HidaO-Win posted:

I'm in a campaign still running from when Edge of the Empire launched, we are at 1100exp.

To make certain skill checks difficult the GM has to throw 5 red dice and 4 black at our core skills, but your non-triangle focused abilities are a lot less wacky, we've been trying to branch out into different areas and spread ourselves a little as it becomes a trifle ludicrous.

Yeah, this game benefits from players making real people and not RPG characters, but most RPG players don't actually understand what that phrase means.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

HidaO-Win posted:

What things are your characters even doing at this point? Y'all got so much XP you could run up to Darth Vader and dunk him in the trash can before giving the Emperor a wedgiee.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Covok posted:

What things are your characters even doing at this point? Y'all got so much XP you could run up to Darth Vader and dunk him in the trash can before giving the Emperor a wedgiee.

For all we know, they did.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I'm unclear on using jury rigged crits to kill off groups - can you just trigger a bunch of crits with one adv each like I think, each killing a minion?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

wiegieman posted:

I'm unclear on using jury rigged crits to kill off groups - can you just trigger a bunch of crits with one adv each like I think, each killing a minion?

As far as I know you can only ever get one crit, you just happen to be also able to spend multiple crits to increase the bonus on the crit roll (which doesnt nothing to minions).

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
But if you have a way to make multiple attacks, light autofire or dual wielding, you can score crits on each.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
How good are the various supplements? I love Stay on Target, because of how much it opens up for Rogue Squadron style adventures, but how is Forged in Battle and Desperate Allies? And how are the Force and Destiny supplements? I honestly don't see how well they would work, given how comparatively tight the careers are in FaD.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So new to this, playing a human diplomat quartermaster, in a game set sort of in the middle of the clone wars, so basically a clone trooper.

The DM gave some good advice about characteristics and such, but I'm curious if there's not a better way to do it? Or a class that does the kind of military squad leader thing better.

The other clone trooper and I got a set of laminate armour and a heavy blaster rifle (with a sling) each, so I'd like to be not terrible at those.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 19, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I heard these houserules on the Order 66 podcast. They seem cool to me. What do y'all think of them?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Cassa posted:

The DM gave some good advice about characteristics and such, but I'm curious if there's not a better way to do it? Or a class that does the kind of military squad leader thing better.

Quartermaster ain't bad (there aren't that many genuinely bad specs in this game), but Diplomat/Analyst, Commander/Instructor or Commander/Strategist might be better if you want to be the shout-orders tactical leader-type guy

Or Commander/Tactician, if your GM doesn't have/want to use supplements.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How good are the various supplements? I love Stay on Target, because of how much it opens up for Rogue Squadron style adventures, but how is Forged in Battle and Desperate Allies? And how are the Force and Destiny supplements? I honestly don't see how well they would work, given how comparatively tight the careers are in FaD.

The Edge of the Empire ones are the best followed by the Age of Rebellion imo. Force and Destiny is very focused on force stuff obviously and are more about 'how are force users developing in THIS environment or mindset and how do they use the force differently as an <Insert Class>'. Definitely not as broad and exciting to me as the other two but they are mostly solid. Also most likely to have equipment power creep though.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 19, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Seems fine, adds a bunch of extra rules for not a huge amount of variance but it looks like it would work fine. Beware it looks like it really fucks over characters with high wounds ands low strain characters.

Honestly the duel rules in Fly Casual work fine in my experience, especially if you want to just find replace skills with whatever is appropriate for the type of duel you are running.

Covok
May 27, 2013

kingcom posted:

Seems fine, adds a bunch of extra rules for not a huge amount of variance but it looks like it would work fine. Beware it looks like it really fucks over characters with high wounds ands low strain characters.

Honestly the duel rules in Fly Casual work fine in my experience, especially if you want to just find replace skills with whatever is appropriate for the type of duel you are running.

Oh, I didn't know there were official duel rules.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

How would you handle a character needing to perform music in tense situations?

My players might be headed to an old Gree outpost and I kinda want to play around with the Gree use of sound as a control mechanism. One of the player-characters has a bit of a musician background and might like to interact with things that way.

I'm comfortable with "if it's not on the character-sheet, let the characters just succeed at whatever everyday-life things their background says they're good at" as a general rule-of-thumb for GMing, but I would like to introduce some peril and potential for failure.

I guess I could use social skills, corresponding to whatever genre of music he was trying to play

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Either Cool or whatever the "keep your cool is named", or charm, plus a couple of blue dices because the PC knows how to play?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I was thinking Charm if he wants to play a love ballad, Coercion if he wants to unleash a sweet riff, etc

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
And a setback to indicate stress.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Maybe one of the Knowledge skills if trying to do culturally appropriate chord combinations based on alien physiology or something. Like those episodes of Star Trek where the 3 eyed, 3 fingered species does everything in Base 3 instead of Base 10.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What's the best way to play this online? Tried using hangouts with embedded roll20 so I could use a free dice roller. Use a synchtube to handle all the music and my Star Wars opening crawls.

It's messy, some people can't access all the stuff at times, and it can be glitchy.

Should I just put down the 10/month and use roll20 and synchtube for everything?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Accidentally closed the thread hitting reply.

In the OP i lay out Roll20 options, but its basically the best option and $10 a month is not much. The in game roller that integrates with the sheet is excellent.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Covok posted:

What's the best way to play this online? Tried using hangouts with embedded roll20 so I could use a free dice roller. Use a synchtube to handle all the music and my Star Wars opening crawls.

It's messy, some people can't access all the stuff at times, and it can be glitchy.

Should I just put down the 10/month and use roll20 and synchtube for everything?

I plan on doing my own campaign over Discord, with the dice bot I made cause of the thread.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

I shelled out for a Fantasy Grounds license and it's been pretty perfect. There's a free fan-made Star Wars rules module for it with a dice roller, weapon/armor stats, NPC stats, pretty much everything I've needed. I paid the $120 for the DM license that let the players use the free demo version to connect to me, though right now it's on a black Friday sale for $112. You can also pay $10 monthly like roll20, but I preferred a one-time cost over paying forever.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Covok posted:

Yeah I finally caved and went for the 10/month and its absolutely a godsend to use. If you can spare the cost then yeah I would definitely grab that for the best experience.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Serperoth posted:

I plan on doing my own campaign over Discord, with the dice bot I made cause of the thread.

This is what my next game will be, probably after XMas.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzz posted:

This is what my next game will be, probably after XMas.

Nice, feel free to drop me some feedback on the bot when it comes to actual use.
I'm pretty sure that your suggestion for verbose results is in the GitHub file, but if it's not I can update it later today. And probably make the "short" one the default, if it's not already, adding 4+ lines to every roll could get grating as a default from a few jokes I threw in my own server

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm thinking of picking one of these up, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to throw down 180 on a full set of the three core games. Especially not right away. Which of the three would you guys say is the best overall package?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Edge of the Empire, in my opinion. Obligation is a mechanic that I find works better for good roleplaying than Duty or Morality.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The Bee posted:

I'm thinking of picking one of these up, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to throw down 180 on a full set of the three core games. Especially not right away. Which of the three would you guys say is the best overall package?

Edge of the Empire is the best intro in my experience even though its got a couple of rules holes they patch in other books its pretty solid and lets you play a pretty wide variety of characters. You can make your soldier rebel characters, your smugglers, and your jedi types all from this book. Also you really dont need the others unless you want more classes or a bunch of jedi classes. The force stuff in Edge of the Empire does fine. Think of the other core books as just more source books for whatever you buy first.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 30, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

https://discord.gg/WPM43VV

Hey guys, so I decided to make a permanent SA FFG Star Wars Discord channel for all of us to use. We're our own small little community on SA at this point, and a lot of us cross paths so often that it's worth it to just have one.

Regular posters and gurus of the system (Mustache Ride, jivjov, etc) can hit me up on there for Admin access, and if anyone wants a specific channel added for their game or whatever, just let us know. Hopefully Serperoth can get his bot connected to the #rollem channel full-time and then we always have a place to do dice rolls and crap.

If you want to run a game:
1- Post in here so one of the Admins can give you a Moff title and you can setup your channels and such.
2- MAKE A THREAD ON THE TG GAMES THREAD. You know the one.
3- Don't be an rear end in a top hat to your players.

Discord can be found via that site, or if you're on Android/iOS it has apps for both that are fully featured and even allow for voicechat (though I'm not sure if the iOS one has full support).

The logic to this vs a Hangout or whatever is that we have a centralized place to discuss the game in real time that anyone can access, plus you can easily connect to voice channels, do your dice rolls in a separate channel, and even play from your phone at any time of day from anywhere without much overhead and the whole hassle of having to post on here a la a PbP. GM access also has full control over who can speak or send messages in their channels, so this also allows people that AREN'T actually playing to still sit in and spectate on games, even the real-time (or semi real time) ones to either learn the system, get ideas, or just have something to read logs of while they're taking a poo poo.

I figure this is worth a try and could end up getting some games that actually go the distance online in this system, plus it could help strengthen your PnP game (confused on a topic at your PnP session? Ask in the channel and see if someone knows!). Discord is free and you can idle forever and no one will care, and they keep logs on their end so why the hell not.

Game on!

EDIT: Oh and if someone wants to make FFG dice icons as Emojis for Discord, that would be a sweet idea... maybe Serperoth's script could be edited up so that it actually displays results as emojis, which could basically bridge the gap and make it an all-inclusive alternative to Orokos, which hates phones/tablets.

Also if you have any other fun SW or SA emoticons you want added in, say so.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 30, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well that's drat clever and now I'm gonna run an online game in the near future

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

This is a .png of star wars dice symbols that a guy made for his font:

As far as I know any discord admin can add those as emojis, it takes 32x32 or 128x128 images.

\/Sure, it's here:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38611358/EotE_Symbol-Regular_v1.otf

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

wiegieman posted:

This is a .png of star wars dice symbols that a guy made for his font:

As far as I know any discord admin can add those as emojis, it takes 32x32 or 128x128 images.

Can you also link where the typeface file is? I could use that while writing up adventures.