Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Everyday Goast posted:

So if anyone has any pro tips for giving a bird meds with a syringe let me know. we tried the treats/nice food in the syringe trick but i think she may have already learnt from the vet that syringe = meds = yuck.

the disgust face she makes is pretty cute though.

When we've had to give Ritz Baytril I just put him on my chest while sitting up, cover him with my left hand and use my left index/thumb to hold his beak still and slightly open, then inject the meds into the corner of his beak so he can't push them out with his tongue. What I found helps, is before I syringe up the meds I syringe up .2cc or whatever of fruit juice from a spoon so that the meds go in first, then the fruit juice, which makes it a little bit easier on the birdo. We've been training him to drink certain things from a spoon, he especially loves coconut water in this manner, and we're hoping that in the future if he needs meds maybe he'll just drink it mixed with coconut water.. who knows though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
So apparently Bonny likes to dance and sing to cartoons when I am not around. My wife recorded this. You have to crank up the volume to hear what she is dancing to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hFVCs8AJe4

1500 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 16, 2016

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

1500 posted:

So apparently Bonny likes to dance and sing to cartoons when I am not around. My wife recorded this.

:kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: oh my goodness :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

GoldStandardConure posted:

they are probably likely to chuck a wobbly

This is now entering my vocabulary.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500 posted:

So apparently Bonny likes to dance and sing to cartoons when I am not around. My wife recorded this. You have to crank up the volume to hear what she is dancing to.

The singing and dancing is what I miss most about having a macaw

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Tsaedje posted:

The singing and dancing is what I miss most about having a macaw

Cricket doesn't dance :(

She doesn't seem to have a preference for music...she doesn't seem to care what is playing as long as something is on and going...be it us talking, music playing, a video game being played, or the TV playing. She is just meh.

However, she does "sing" with me when I sing her her birdie songs, so I guess that's something. Maybe she just doesn't know how to dance? Not sure if it is an innate thing with conures or not, tbh.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

thats a really good picture

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

where the red fern gropes posted:

thats a really good picture

thank you

rant incoming:

i'm really loving angry that taco is sick. goast & i have taken so much care and put so much effort into keeping taco as happy and clean and healthy as possible, because keeping a bird and balancing my health (immunosuppressed due to a lung transplant a year ago) is not a loving easy thing to do. My doctors weren't happy when I told them we had a pet bird when it was coming close to me having my transplant, but I explained all the things we do as far as cleaning the cage regularly (goast has to clean the cage, I can't help due to risk of catching anything that uses bird poop as a vector and she does this because she is a loving champ), keeping an eye on her health, keeping her clean through constant showers etc (the vet we took her to a few weeks before holiday for a check up said she had very clean and very bright feathers, and generally had a lot of praise for us in keeping such a happy and healthy bird, which was really nice to hear as we are both constantly super paranoid if we are doing the right thing). My doctors were happy with what we were doing, and when I got out of hospital after the op, I couldn't interact with Taco for a few weeks while my drug regime etc was balanced and everything sort of settled down, which was poo poo for both me and Taco.

Now she has gone and caught something of someone elses bird when we put her in boarding (or from the bird boarding place itself? who knows), we kept her healthy for 3 years and she goes into boarding once and this loving happens. I am going to have to ask my doctors for a blood test tomorrow to make sure I haven't contracted it (that's going to be a fun conversation), I can't handle taco for possibly 6 loving weeks. I was talking to her through the cage today when I got home, and she was trying to talk back but her voice is still croaky.

I mean its probably not the fault of whoever elses birds were in the boarding place (all in seperate cages, it wasn't one big ol' giant communal cage, but still close enough for transmission of disease via sneezing birds or whatever), or even the boarding place maybe, i don't know how well they clean everything and monitor birds etc, but it feels like both Goast & I have done all this work and someone else has hosed it all up for us.

aaargj i am just angry that we got our poor little bird sick. AND I CAN'T EVEN GIVE HER A HUG!

blarg!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
and i just went and spent a hundred loving dollarydoos on new perches and a new play stand etc so we can throw the old ones out just in case they are harboring any bacteria

gently caress

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This pretty much mirrors my thoughts on my daughter's school and nits. She has mermaid hair, her brother is disabled. Nits = nightmare that people with able bodied children can not comprehend. Check your birds/children before they come into contact with others people! It's going to suck if you find something is wrong but we wouldn't want to inconvenience you by having to cancel the holiday/spending £10 on full marks solution would we now?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

how do wild birds stay healthy?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

They don't. You just don't see the sick ones because they get sick and die. Anyone in this thread knows just how fragile birds are, even when they're cared for as well as the birds in this thread. In the wild, their lifespan is much shorter than in captivity. Simple as that.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

They don't really, wild bird strategy is to breed and hope. Chlamydia is a huge problem in Australia right now, and it's devastating the koala population, and as it's transmitted by urine the bird people are hoping like hell the koala people can get it under control.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

learnincurve posted:

They don't really, wild bird strategy is to breed and hope. Chlamydia is a huge problem in Australia right now, and it's devastating the koala population, and as it's transmitted by urine the bird people are hoping like hell the koala people can get it under control.

I'm going to keep a close eye on Boop, then.

Nov 3, 2015

Man that sucks. I would be ranting and raving at the boarding place.

You didn't need to throw them out. Just hit them with bleach. Bleach can be safely used for bird stuff as long as it do it away from them, let it air dry, then rinse thoroughly.

1500 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 17, 2016

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

There's a reason birds tend to have so many babies

edit: I would be livid about that if I were you GSC. I know birds are good at hiding sickness but you expect the people who take care of them for a living to be a little more on the ball

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 17, 2016

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Teeka contracted avian bornavirus at a boarding place when he was like three. It was the first or second time we boarded him. We got lucky because it kills most birds within a few months and our little hellion is still with us at 19 years old, albeit with damage to his balance and tremors.

Makes it hard to board him though as everyone always (rightfully) asks for several hundred dollars worth of blood tests. Easier just to hire a sitter.

Most notable thing we've learned is to board at a shelter if possible as they actually give a poo poo about their birds.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

We never saw the tests or results, but when ours were last boarded, they included testing the poo for parasites in the price. I wonder how broad a range of tests you'd need to have though, to reasonably cover the illnesses that they might catch from other beasties, and whether something like chlamydia would be covered under that. Though apparently it is a big issue atm so maybe it should be at least asked about.

Nov 3, 2015

I have avoided boarding for many of the reasons listed. I end up paying (bring back a cool travel gift) my friends to check in on my guys ever other day or so.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I spend the extra money on a sitter because I worry about this.

Well... that and I thought about the logistics of dealing with three birds on the subway and just laughed.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Shark Sandwich posted:

I spend the extra money on a sitter because I worry about this.

Well... that and I thought about the logistics of dealing with three birds on the subway and just laughed.

We have to hire a whole moving van and sit up front with the three in their containment pods, it looks pretty dumb when we arrive and open the back of the van. Then the vet is on the second floor of a building with no elevator

Boarding is the only real option for us unfortunately

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Hello bird thread. I'd like you to meet my friend Pneuma.

He just turned 7 months old this week and we have been together for 3 of them. I bought him from a breeder who hand tamed him. His favorite thing to do is chow down.

For a while he wouldn't touch pellets but I got him to swap recently. Except for fruit he picks up all of his food with his hands and eats it one piece at a time.

His favorite places to hang out are on me of course as well as on top of my computer monitors.

Sometimes he'll take over my chair and start preening.

He's awesome and I love every minute I spend with him.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
More recruits for conure squad :3: What a cutie.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Tendai posted:

More recruits for conure squad :3: What a cutie.

Agreed, Pneuma looks like a sweet baby :kimchi:

Battle Pigeon posted:

We never saw the tests or results, but when ours were last boarded, they included testing the poo for parasites in the price. I wonder how broad a range of tests you'd need to have though, to reasonably cover the illnesses that they might catch from other beasties, and whether something like chlamydia would be covered under that. Though apparently it is a big issue atm so maybe it should be at least asked about.

I'm kind of grateful now that the place I boarded at was super strict. They had to have up to date health records from under a year and the stool sample test you mentioned. Still was crazy expensive though, ugh

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Battle Pigeon posted:

We have to hire a whole moving van and sit up front with the three in their containment pods, it looks pretty dumb when we arrive and open the back of the van. Then the vet is on the second floor of a building with no elevator

Boarding is the only real option for us unfortunately

Haha well it's also just me which doesn't help.

But yeah finding a good sitter is tough. I lucked out that this guy was recommended to me by the vet and the bird store.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This really is a conure supremacy thread

Also :ducksiren: holy poo poo cute bird

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Potato Salad posted:

This really is a conure supremacy thread

Also :ducksiren: holy poo poo cute bird

As a dual member of the Cockatiel Crew and Poicephalus Pals I am troubled by this turn of events.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Pneuma is so cute. :kimchi:
How can I get Mochi to stop eating his playstand? We have several different toys in rotation on the hooks but he shows no interest (and in toys in general, which is making me concerned for the several weeks he and Bradbury will be alone during the day while I'm out of the country). I expect a normal amount of chewing but he appears to actually be eating the wood (bird you have a full food dish RIGHT THERE) and that's a little concerning.

Nov 3, 2015

Well if we are going to have one bird to rule them all (conures) at least is a crazy adorable one. I am very jealous out how good the photos you guys post are. mine always turn out to be out of focus, poor lighting, or just too far away.

I still can't get over how Bonny has turned into the mush mac I always wanted, she hated getting scratches and now...

I can't get her off my lap.

Sorry for all the posts, it has been a lot of work and for a while I didn't think it would ever happen.

1500 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 17, 2016

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

A. Her coloration is outrageous

B. That is a happy bird

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

1500 posted:

Well if we are going to have one bird to rule them all (conures) at least is a crazy adorable one. I am very jealous out how good the photos you guys post are. mine always turn out to be out of focus, poor lighting, or just too far away.

I still can't get over how Bonny has turned into the mush mac I always wanted, she hated getting scratches and now...

Sorry for all the posts, it has been a lot of work and for a while I didn't think it would ever happen.

I want all the photos and videos you ever take of her. All of them. You could spam this thread forever and I think everyone would be ok with that as long as it was Bonny.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
All these conures. :3:

Alas, I only have doves, a quail, and some zebra finches. Speaking of doves...

They're getting bigger every day! The babbie I got pictures of seems to have some tan feathers growing in so maybe they'll be piebald like dad? The other one has white feathers growing in thus far.

They're gonna be so fab when they grow up.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Shark Sandwich posted:

As a dual member of the Cockatiel Crew and Poicephalus Pals I am troubled by this turn of events.

I have a conure and a cockatiel and I'm definitely voting 100% cockatiel as bird supreme.

Conure: 50/50 love/rage
Cockatiel: 50/50 love/dumb

Seems pretty straightforward to me??? :derptiel:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Pip pip pip posted:

I have a conure and a cockatiel and I'm definitely voting 100% cockatiel as bird supreme.

Conure: 50/50 love/rage
Cockatiel: 50/50 love/dumb

Seems pretty straightforward to me??? :derptiel:

I'm not sure what the ratios are, but cockatoos have got to be some combination of love/mischievousness/insanity.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I'm not sure what the ratios are, but cockatoos have got to be some combination of love/mischievousness/insanity.

I think because they are loud, they bring to your attention when they are doing something. What that something is could lead to finding them yelling into a cup like that one video

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Probably 25/25/50 average for 'toos

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Evil Eagle posted:

Hello bird thread. I'd like you to meet my friend Pneuma.

He just turned 7 months old this week and we have been together for 3 of them. I bought him from a breeder who hand tamed him. His favorite thing to do is chow down.

For a while he wouldn't touch pellets but I got him to swap recently. Except for fruit he picks up all of his food with his hands and eats it one piece at a time.

His favorite places to hang out are on me of course as well as on top of my computer monitors.

Sometimes he'll take over my chair and start preening.

He's awesome and I love every minute I spend with him.

yessss baby conures :kimchi:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

1500 posted:

i love bonny so much :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

GoldStandardConure posted:

i love bonny so much :3:

My boyfriend is emphatically Not a bird person. But he never says no to a Bonny video :3: