Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

I don't think it'd pop up uncompletable objectives, it's just that those objectives were consistently completable in the time limit so you wanted them to be in the pool of missions to up your chances of success. By the way, this adventure dropped the best in slot weapon for tank stalkers but only if you gold medalled it. And then they "fixed" medals to reduce LFG friction.

I definitely would pop up uncompletable objectives at one point, but now that you mention it I think they fixed that after a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Deki posted:

It was irritating as gently caress to have the dota dungeon go from something where you could clear in 10 minutes, to a run where you basically sat for 15+ minutes on your hands.

Yeah golding require you not kill too fast was stupid as gently caress. Post F2P people just didn't bother with adventures because they were pointless and BIS pre raid gear either came from crafted poo poo, the dailies board or world bosses.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
http://imgur.com/a/kCHef

Rip wildstar

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

To be honest Guild Wars is super bad as well.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Makes sense; GW2 kinda has no end game by design. Or at least, didn't when I played it. It had a huge spike for the expansion, then people did the content in it, and stopped playing.

Which is a shame because I really enjoyed GW2's combat.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Makes sense; GW2 kinda has no end game by design. Or at least, didn't when I played it. It had a huge spike for the expansion, then people did the content in it, and stopped playing.

Which is a shame because I really enjoyed GW2's combat.

NCsoft had some pretty high expectations for GW2s expansion and it failed spectacularly. The boost from sales from the expansion was middling and then it started to make even less money than before quarter over quarter.

As for Wildstar, I think this is in millions of won so its like 1 million dollar over the course of 3 months. There is absolutely no way they are making money with this. Even a 10 man staff would burn through that in a single month, when you take into consideration office space, utilities and payroll tax. And I think carbine is like 30 man strong still? How can they persist?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Cao Ni Ma posted:

As for Wildstar, I think this is in millions of won so its like 1 million dollar over the course of 3 months. There is absolutely no way they are making money with this. Even a 10 man staff would burn through that in a single month, when you take into consideration office space, utilities and payroll tax. And I think carbine is like 30 man strong still? How can they persist?

1,097,000,000 (1.097 billion) Korean won (KRW) = ~$941,357.64 USD as of todays exchange rate. That's an average of ~$313,785.88 a month over 3 months.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
idk what you guys are talking about, including taxes, benefits, rent, and lights, that's enough to pay up to 2.5 software engineers, if you underpay them!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If I remember correctly, GW2 was suposed to have regular expansion packs like the original, as opposed to the...one they've had in the past four years since launch.

I'm curious as to what caused the small spike in Wildstar numbers. I'd say the new raid, but who hears "New Raid in Wildstar!" and thinks "Oh poo poo I gotta get in on that!"

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

I'm curious as to what caused the small spike in Wildstar numbers. I'd say the new raid, but who hears "New Raid in Wildstar!" and thinks "Oh poo poo I gotta get in on that!"

F2P/steam release I assume.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If I remember correctly, GW2 was suposed to have regular expansion packs like the original, as opposed to the...one they've had in the past four years since launch.

Well, I think their "living story" stuff is kind of like mini-expansion packs. Not on the level of GW1 though.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I strongly remember it being the exact opposite; it was promised there would not be paid expansion packs.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

GW2 is so bizarre since so much of it was done really well, but then it just isn't fun to play. I admit haven't played it since before the expansion, but near launch like half or more of the classes were intolerable and tedious to level because they were balanced for endgame PVP and crippled in leveling PVE. And then the open world leveling stuff got repetitive super quick, appearance customization was crippled into confusing uselessness and cash shop purchases (though they've improved it since, I know), and a bunch of little annoyances I forgot, and it... just wound up frustrating since it was so close to being fun and unique but didn't quite make it. It felt a bit like Wildstar that way, but more so.

Considering there was a lot of stuff crippled late in beta by NCSoft to be easier to monetize, I wonder how much they're the common element of failure between GW2 and Wildstar...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not saying anet is perfect, though I quite enjoyed gw2 when I played. But I'm pretty sure wildstar is 100% on carbine and not ncsoft.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm enjoying GW2 still, but I am the lord of the scrubs. Lead-up to and release of the expansion was pretty awful, but they did some course-correction a couple of months in and things have been a lot better since.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The thing I didn't like about GW2 was how they give you 5 skills on your bar (iirc, it has been awhile), and only 1 or 2 of them would actually deal good damage. Most of the combat wasn't actually very hard, so you'd just sort of kill time with your tricksy skills while waiting for the ones that actually dealt damage to come off cooldown. It was a lot more satisfying when the game was hard enough to force you to use your entire toolkit, but the whole system seemed designed for PvP at the expense of making PvE tedious.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno what class you played, but as an elementalist, there's always something useful off cooldown. That said, eles also get 20 weapon skills, compared to other classes' 10.

On the other hand, when I returned after not playing for a while, the pve build for ele was standing somewhere with a staff and spamming fire 2 repeatedly and literally nothing else.

The balance between fun and efficiency seems to swing a lot in that game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The auto attack is almost always the best sustained DPS and all the skills are how you manipulate/react to the battlefield.
A lot of people seems to think that the auto attack is just garbage filler to wait for your cooldown.
I get that is how other games do it but not GW2. If you use your skills at the right time, instead of whenever you can, you can solo a lot of top-tier poo poo.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
It looks like wildstar will still exist in 2017 and that's just amazing well done everyone

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Wild stars action bar system was actually really good if your class got a good designer. changing your abilities between fights to put together the right combo of dps and utility, figuring out what you needed for a boss and could do without to make room, changing your damage build entirely to glyph into a slow or something based on who was in your party was really really good.

Shame about everyone who wasn't a spell slinger though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'd almost say GW2 is the opposite problem of Wildstar, where it lacks chellenging content that keep players occupied. It's not as bad as "raid or die, greetings from 2007", but GW2 doesn't really have a gear grind with elevating item quality (nor level cap increase to keep players chasing that goal) so you're left with pretty princess and grinds. I dunno, maybe the PvP is compelling, but it never grabbed me.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

I'd almost say GW2 is the opposite problem of Wildstar, where it lacks chellenging content that keep players occupied. It's not as bad as "raid or die, greetings from 2007", but GW2 doesn't really have a gear grind with elevating item quality (nor level cap increase to keep players chasing that goal) so you're left with pretty princess and grinds. I dunno, maybe the PvP is compelling, but it never grabbed me.

Wasn't GW2 "endgame" mostly pretty princess dressup? I seem to remember running some dungeon over and over to get tokens or something to buy a neat looking outfit. I like dressup in video games, so it kept me interested for a while.

I quit before the expansion, I think, though I remember something about ?fractal? dungeons that were supposed to get progressively more difficult. I didn't try them because it seemed like you needed a guild or permanent group to do them. If I remember correctly, the idea for endgame in GW2 was supposed to be some e-sports pvp thing, right?

I wish more games would have dressup / dyeing options, honestly. Every character looking the same with some "BiS equip" is dull.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

GW2's endgame was only dress-up. That was it. There was no challenging content or raids or gear or anything. You farmed dungeons for cosmetic appearances. Or you did the PvP for, again, cosmetic items.

I remember hearing about fractals but they were after I had already just gone back to WoW so I don't know a lot about them.

That and a lot of the polices were really stupid. They basically went the exact opposite of Wildstar and tried to be as casual as possible. Even going as far as having no mechanic to inspect other people so you can't see anyone's gear and not allowing addons so you can't see DPS.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

GW2's endgame was only dress-up. That was it. There was no challenging content or raids or gear or anything. You farmed dungeons for cosmetic appearances. Or you did the PvP for, again, cosmetic items.

Man, I really feel like the GW2 team dropped the ball on dress-up, too. While transmogging/dying gear in something like WoW or Diablo 3 is as easy as a button click and a little gold, in GW2 everything was so over-complicated and generally required in-shop purchases. I liked the game well enough, but if I can't play dress-up then I'm taking my poo poo and going home :colbert:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I lived for fractals in GW2, that was until they completely screwed it up by putting a leaderboard on it. SO unless you were some super scrub with the right class/gear (lol gear, there was one attribute i cant remember everyone went...) you'd join a fractal and then get kicked.

But before that fractals were pretty fun (the best, or the worst... was the lava one. If you failed multiple times there would ALWAYS be 1 person blaming everyone else for doing this, or not doing that... then they would leave the party in frustration and you'd get a new person and lo and behold, clear it on the first try....)

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Man, I really feel like the GW2 team dropped the ball on dress-up, too. While transmogging/dying gear in something like WoW or Diablo 3 is as easy as a button click and a little gold, in GW2 everything was so over-complicated and generally required in-shop purchases. I liked the game well enough, but if I can't play dress-up then I'm taking my poo poo and going home :colbert:

When was the last time you played?

The wardrobe got a revamp (it saves every new skin you unlock, no need to keep extra gear), changing equipment skins and dying can be done on-the-fly, and they got rid of Transmutation Stones and replaced them with a simpler currency called Transmutation Charges, which the game basically drowns you in as you play. It's more a pretty princess dress up game than ever before.

They also got rid of town clothes and replaced them with "outfits," which alter your entire appearance, are stored in their own wardrobe (no "tonics" or items clogging your inventory), and can be changed and displayed freely without Transmutation Charges or anything like that. It's literally clicking a button and you're in your new outfit. Pretty princessing for beginners.

I still enjoy GW2 and it's way better than it was at HoT launch. After player feedback from HoT was less-than-stellar they took serious steps to improve the game and I think it paid off. They owned and then corrected their mistakes instead of just crossing their arms and telling players that the game "wasn't for them" until it was too late.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

GW2 did dyes way better though, you got a bunch of dye colors just leveling up or buying them from the AH for pennies and only a handful were terribly expensive (i.e. pure black/white). In my time playing I never felt super incentivised to buy dye packs on the market. Being able to change dye color at any time for free gave a lot of life to even the mundane armor. If you don't especially care how you look as you level up you could hoard a whole shitpile of transmog stones as well - keeping in mind that at least at launch if you had the GW1 heritage armor/hall of champions stuff you could transmog that and have a decent to good looking armor set without using transmogs.

Truga posted:

I dunno what class you played, but as an elementalist, there's always something useful off cooldown. That said, eles also get 20 weapon skills, compared to other classes' 10.

On the other hand, when I returned after not playing for a while, the pve build for ele was standing somewhere with a staff and spamming fire 2 repeatedly and literally nothing else.

The balance between fun and efficiency seems to swing a lot in that game.

I leveled elementalist at launch and the problem I had with them was that yes, you had 20 weapon skills at any time, but you only had enough trait points to make like 2 worth using and even so all the elements felt anemic. Staff had good AoE but did kind of poo poo damage single target. Dagger had shockingly great damage, but you had to be in hug range and you had a glass chin even in full tanking gear and it's defensive options were kind of poo poo compared to the other melee caster builds (dagger necros had a lot of life steal on top of a shitload of baseline HP, Mesmers had the invulnerability attack and other defensive options depending on offhand) . the scepter was a hurky jurky middle man that kind of sucked at everything.

Granted this was at launch mind, I haven't followed the game since fractals and things probably have gotten better by then. I just remember leveling elementalist to cap, getting fed up with it, and swapping to Engineer, which had the same sort of swapping primary bar and having access to a ton of skills at any given time schtick, but they had more hp/armor baseline and had at the time flat out amazing condition artillery builds with grenades (which wound up getting nerfed pretty badly)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I found that for a very long time, dagger elementalist had the best staying power of all the classes. You could just spam and spam poo poo, and every cycle you'd go into water and restore a third of hp just by hitting f2 and dodge rolling, and the signet would do the rest. Daggers eventually got nerfed by proxy by nerfing some traits (due to ~e sports~), but it was a ton of fun just playing the goddamn piano with that while it lasted, at least in pve. It wasn't top dps by any means, but still very decent in any element due to a bunch of boon traits in water and arcana IIRC, and I could absolutely solo some things that weren't supposed to be by a long shot. Also constantly have 9-15 stacks of might on yourself and your group just by being there, heal people a ton while doing your damage rotation/dodge rolls and be invincible once per minute while picking up downed baddies. Also boon juggling is fun yo.

It was definitely very squishy until you had the correct traits though. And absolutely useless in WvW.

When I came back some time after launch though, as I said, the best elementalist pve build was fire staff. You'd sit there and spam 2 on the ground while autoattacking. This was the highest dps ele could bring, and you were also very safe doing this, only going closer to stack a couple mights with your friends and then sit at max range spamming 2 again. Very efficient and easy to play, but also stupid and boring. Dunno if it got changed, but probably the best dps thing got nerfed and nothing else fixed and welp.

I never liked the "let's nerf everything" approach to balance. It makes playing games unfun.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Truga posted:

When I came back some time after launch though, as I said, the best elementalist pve build was fire staff. You'd sit there and spam 2 on the ground while autoattacking. This was the highest dps ele could bring, and you were also very safe doing this, only going closer to stack a couple mights with your friends and then sit at max range spamming 2 again. Very efficient and easy to play, but also stupid and boring. Dunno if it got changed, but probably the best dps thing got nerfed and nothing else fixed and welp.

I never liked the "let's nerf everything" approach to balance. It makes playing games unfun.

I'm not sure how long ago that was, but it kinda sounds like GW2's Raids would be right up your ally. Right now Elementalists have three different viable Raid builds and all three are generally considered to be top of DPS "charts." Two of them use staff and different elements, one of them is dagger/warhorn, and all three require a constant stream of pushing buttons. They're also good at healing the raid and have fantastic mobility skills that get them out of the red stuff faster. I guess I can't say emperically because I don't play one, but our Raid Elementalists are never just spamming one button!

Couldn't say much about WvW or regular world roaming, though. I can't imagine you'd change out of your Raid build just for PvE...

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 17, 2016

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Meskhenet posted:

I lived for fractals in GW2, that was until they completely screwed it up by putting a leaderboard on it. SO unless you were some super scrub with the right class/gear (lol gear, there was one attribute i cant remember everyone went...) you'd join a fractal and then get kicked.

Huht? Fractal leaderboards never happened. They mentioned they were coming back in 2013, but nope. Then they were announced as a feature of Heart of Thorns, but never materialized there either. Earlier this year, they confirmed in a Reddit AMA that fractal leaderboards were indeed canceled and there are no plans to implement them ever.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

Wild stars action bar system was actually really good if your class got a good designer. changing your abilities between fights to put together the right combo of dps and utility, figuring out what you needed for a boss and could do without to make room, changing your damage build entirely to glyph into a slow or something based on who was in your party was really really good.

Shame about everyone who wasn't a spell slinger though.

Huh? There were a lot of other classes doing this as well. Once you got to around ilvl 100+ gear most medics doing dungeon runs would swap to this pseudo dps/healing build and engie tanks literally would swap entire powersets depending on fight. For raids there was generally no reason to swap my LAS at all as a SS unless a fight called for a ton of interrupts.

I did like the LAS though. Going from wildstar where I really had to manage seven abilities and my success as a player was more about rotation within that set and positioning to playing the loving piano for FFXIV has really made me miss the LAS.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

GI_Clutch posted:

Huht? Fractal leaderboards never happened. They mentioned they were coming back in 2013, but nope. Then they were announced as a feature of Heart of Thorns, but never materialized there either. Earlier this year, they confirmed in a Reddit AMA that fractal leaderboards were indeed canceled and there are no plans to implement them ever.

you sure? so why did they all become elitist arseholes after that update (i havent played in about 2-3 years)
There was definetly something that tracked how you did fractals ?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

I'll second all of that. I played it a bunch (almost leveled a dude to 80 doing little more than PvP) and saw a ton of potential but apparently anet had no interest in delivering on that, beyond the merest "ESPORTS PVP WOW GUYS!" instead of actual update, content, balance... eh gently caress it this gif summarizes the debaucle

Really, it felt like it had a -lot- of potential there.
+Being able to PvP from level 1 on a class was great. Get wrecked by something that seemed totally OP? You can just roll with that and try it and see what makes it good and bad.
+Good variety of maps and some decent designs
+Lots of room for both technical skill (making a build, deciding when to use cooldowns, deciding which objective to fight over or defend) and mechanical skill (juking interrupts, landing pseudo-skill shots)
+The combo system was very fun and prevalent in PvP. If an Ally was generating a lot of fields you could take good advantage of it, or vice versa.

But the problems were glaring
-Like any game with player builds the Meta dominates everything. Every class has like, hundreds of options available between weapons used and actual abilities and then talent choices and gearing... but then as soon as someone finds the right combination it would generally be the only viable build for the class. And then when the nerfs came, the class as a whole would be in the dumpster until some random ability got buffed and then became The New Meta. There's not really a good solution to this since even Blizzard hasn't perfected balancing a system like that after 12 years in the business so I don't really blame a.net for loving it up.
- There was no combat log when I played. You couldn't tell -what- was loving you up. Maybe this changed eventually but it added an impossibly high learning curve when I started.
- The downed system adding nothing of value to the game except making kills feel unrewarding and tedious, and finally getting some guy only to have an ally come and save him just felt totally sucky.
- There were like... no updates ever. I think they added one map since release, and in fact even removed one from the game (a failed experiment in having a map with underwater combat)

Aside from that, the PvE felt really pointless without a true endgame, maybe raids fixed that. The initial experience was great, and experimenting with weapons and abilities and talents could easily entertain you all the way to level cap on your first character, before you kinda realize there's nothing really interesting to do with all those abilities beyond more generic events or level scaled content.

WvW is something I've never understood in games that have it and GW2's was totally awful the few times I tried it. I don't understand the fun of being in a gigantic zerg of 100 people moving from point to point and then avoiding combat (because if one zerg encounters the other, a bunch of fps drops and lag occurs and one side completely trashes the other in 5 seconds of uninteresting AoE). Even the small scale stuff was better done in the actual PvP content.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You know how we generally laughed and said doom & gloom things when every single "this time they'll save Wildstar" thing failed? How the player numbers would get a very brief surge before dropping again?

Well the latest (and possibly final?) expansion for Trion Worlds' Rift dropped today. Behold the steam charts http://steamcharts.com/app/39120

Yes that's correct. Didn't even temporarily reverse the downward trend on launch day. Even Wildstar managed that which is um... something.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
That's such a shame. When Rift launched it was a pretty good game and Trion promised a different, more customer friendly approach to MMO development. They did pretty well at first too but clearly something went horribly wrong. Now days Rift has possibly the worst cash shop in a western MMO, Trion brought the western world the dumpster fire that is ArchAge, and actually promising titles like Defiance were left to wither on the vine and die. Did they have some kind of drastic shakeup in management while I wasnt paying attention or something?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Apparently Wildstar just blanket banned a bunch of countries from playing at all.

That'll certainly help the population somehow.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
State Department sanctions? That is certainly weird. Still, I doubt banning the DPRK and Syria will do much to player population.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Yes that's correct. Didn't even temporarily reverse the downward trend on launch day. Even Wildstar managed that which is um... something.

Eh, just you can see the massive spike when it went F2P and it held on the gains for much longer than Rift. Rift is a loving fossil right now with a development studio that never got to capitalize on its early success.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Meskhenet posted:

you sure? so why did they all become elitist arseholes after that update (i havent played in about 2-3 years)
There was definetly something that tracked how you did fractals ?

If they ever did, I never noticed.

There's a thread on their forums from two years ago where people are asking why the Fractal Leaderboards were never implemented, so...

Maybe you just found some rear end in a top hat players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CoffeeBooze posted:

That's such a shame. When Rift launched it was a pretty good game and Trion promised a different, more customer friendly approach to MMO development. They did pretty well at first too but clearly something went horribly wrong. Now days Rift has possibly the worst cash shop in a western MMO, Trion brought the western world the dumpster fire that is ArchAge, and actually promising titles like Defiance were left to wither on the vine and die. Did they have some kind of drastic shakeup in management while I wasnt paying attention or something?

Trion had some good ideas, but even RIFT was a constellation of smouldering fires at launch in retrospect. Their overall business plan was, apparently, to rig up a reusable MMO framework and squeeze out a completely new game every year or two, preferably one that tied into existing or developing media. Like Defiance.

• Locked thread