Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
The Celestials aren't really aliens in the same sense that the Kree, etc, or even Asgardians, are. The closest analogy is Galactus- they're forces of nature from outer space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I didn't know there's a Fullmetal Alchemist movie in the works. Here's the teaser trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcUVtC-f8RY

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If its anything like the Attack on Titan movie it'll be pure dreck.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vintersorg posted:

If its anything like the Attack on Titan movie it'll be pure dreck.

At least they haven't changed the setting to post-apocalyptic Tokyo

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Renoistic posted:

I can't say I'm surprised but those scenes doesn't do anything to make the movie less lovely, most of them do the opposite, even.

Yeah. Many of them are just longer versions of the same scene in the movie. A couple of them like the "What will you be having" scene at the bar were in the trailers. None of this actually improves the movie. That Joker/Harley on the bike scene might actually make it worse.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gyges posted:

Celestials made Eternals, Deviants, Humans, and Humans with the nascent mutant gene. Later on the Kree stopped by, spliced some Eternals DNA into random humans and got Inhumans.

So it is a less cool version of the Guyver?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Renoistic posted:

I can't say I'm surprised but those scenes doesn't do anything to make the movie less lovely, most of them do the opposite, even.

"All we needed was the Ayer cut guys, then we will get the brilliant Suicide Squad film that was only hinted at!" ...whoops.

Turns out Ayer did a poo poo job on this film and it is beyond saving.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

I said come in! posted:

"All we needed was the Ayer cut guys, then we will get the brilliant Suicide Squad film that was only hinted at!" ...whoops.

Except nobody ever said this. What happened was David Ayer said, "This is the director's cut," then there was an announcement of 10 more minutes of footage, and folks suddenly got collective amnesia over every other extended cut of a film that was ever released and concluded Ayer was bullshitting.

It turns out that Ayer was honest and correct. The extra footage was superfluous.

I will say this - the Harley vexing scene is not only good, but features some of the best urban photography in the film. It's obviously too slowly paced and not erratic enough for what Ayer ultimately went for, but it flexes Margot Robbie's role very well, and reminds you that the film is supposed to largely be from her/the Joker's perspective.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

K. Waste posted:

Except nobody ever said this.

There were like three pages of people saying this a while ago.

That same Harley scene is only good in comparison to the rest of the movie, which is poo poo, which makes that scene inoffensively amateur at best. I'll give that photography, though.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Drifter posted:

There were like three pages of people saying this a while ago.

That same Harley scene is only good in comparison to the rest of the movie, which is poo poo, which makes that scene inoffensively amateur at best. I'll give that photography, though.

The people saying the "directors cut" would probably be better are people who already mostly enjoyed the movie and just thought certain things (like the music video intros and the weird redundant scenes) made it messy. People who didn't like the movie looking at individual scenes and saying "see they are still bad even with extra footage!" has nothing to do with the former group. Obviously nobody who hated the Joker portrayal was simultaneously thinking that more of that was going to fix the movie somehow.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

If its anything like pretty much every Japanese live action adaptation of a manga/anime it'll be pure dreck.

(though to be fair I'm sure this is true for every western live action adaptation of a manga/anime too unless gits lives up to the awesome fan edit teagone just made in the trailers thread https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SdLcm6_fmvU )
I did hear the I Am a Hero movie was good to okay I guess

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 16, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Punkin Spunkin posted:

(though to be fair I'm sure this is true for every western live action adaptation of a manga/anime too unless gits lives up to the awesome fan edit teagone just made in the trailers thread https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SdLcm6_fmvU )
I did hear the I Am a Hero movie was good to okay I guess
Speed Racer will continue to be the gold standard for quite a while
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eDKNxcbTf0

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speed Racer was so fun. One of the first Blu-Rays I owned.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Speed Racer is the only Blu-Ray I ever purchased and is this last physical movie I ever bought. I will buy it again in 4K no questions asked.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Speed Racer will continue to be the gold standard for quite a while
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eDKNxcbTf0

I have high expectations for the Adam Wingard adaptation of Death Note, because Death Note's quality is an extremely low bar to clear and Adam Wingard is awesome.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blair Witch was not awesome.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Wachowskis should adapt more 70s anime, like Mazinger Z.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Wachowskis should adapt more 70s anime, like Mazinger Z.

A Wachowski directed Getter Robo would be loving wild, since you have poo poo like a martial artist punching a velociraptor so hard its head explodes and catching a sword with his pecs, but also a lot of weird philosophical poo poo with Getter rays and their whole deal

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I almost forget another non-Marvel non-DC movie announcement recently. Jessica Chastain just attached herself to a new adaptation of Painkiller Jane. Previously there was a TV series, I think it was on Syfy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

The MSJ posted:

I almost forget another non-Marvel non-DC movie announcement recently. Jessica Chastain just attached herself to a new adaptation of Painkiller Jane. Previously there was a TV series, I think it was on Syfy.

A PG 13 adaptation of Painkiller Jane will suck.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Nice to get a little bit more of Croc, but yeah these don't really add much to the story. Except to confirm that Joker finds Harley as exasperating as everyone else does. What did Waller say, she's the more dangerous or stronger of the two?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

I remember Syfy did a TV movie of it, then turned it into a TV show, only the TV show had nothing to do with the movie. I think I watched one or two episodes because it was on before BSG. The only thing I remember was Kristanna Loken being in it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hollismason posted:

A PG 13 adaptation of Painkiller Jane will suck.

It's not a DC or Marvel adaptation, so chances of it being R is probably good.

Speaking R-rated comic book movies, Logan continues to show more images.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

He doesn't really have that great a track record with Wolverine movies, but this one seems like it might be okay.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Black Bones posted:

Nice to get a little bit more of Croc, but yeah these don't really add much to the story. Except to confirm that Joker finds Harley as exasperating as everyone else does. What did Waller say, she's the more dangerous or stronger of the two?

It's actually a little more nuanced than that. A persistent theme running throughout these deleted scenes is Harley "tapping into the head" of her co-stars. This includes the Joker, who effectively says to her, basically, "I don't even know who I am anymore because of you." Even the bar scene is now even more deeply laced with this idea of Harley clandestinely "poisoning" or coercing the team into one, final, irrational act of self-redemption.

In the theatrical cut, this stuff is mostly nixed in favor of just the image of Enchantress also tapping into Waller's head.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The MSJ posted:

So did they release stills of The Exorcist and Tetsuo with these shots to assure us this will be a serious real movie like they did with The Wolverine? :haw:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The MSJ posted:

Is that Iron Man?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The character interactions in the extended cut of Suicide Squad make the movie a bit more palatable for me. The excessive use of pop songs still annoys the poo poo out of me though. But really, no idea why so much character building was cut out of the theatrical version. Makes no goddamn sense.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

I finally got around to watching 'Captain America: Civil War' last night and I am absolutely baffled at the praise that has been heaped on that film. It was, to borrow a phrase, "A tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.". I found it to be a utterly hollow experience, a filler episode without meaning or consequence. And all the dull political exposition lacked even the loosest attachment to anything resembling reality. I couldn't even enjoy the action because it was all so poorly choreographed, shot and edited it just irritated, and in the case of the airport fight, bored me. I think that's the most damning criticism I can levy at it, it's not even bad or stupid enough to be entertaining like 'The Avengers' it's just interminable dull.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I finally caught X-Men Apocalypse and wow was it just overwhelming and cheesy. Granted I went in with low hopes, it was hard to get into it and I think I'm burnt out on establishing Magneto's struggles yet again.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Is that Iron Man?

I think Logan will have the Reavers among the bad guys, mercenary cyborgs who do with mutants what everybody else does with mutants: hunt them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Black Bones posted:

She's more dangerous and crazier, iirc.
Amanda Waller: That was just the beginning. She's even crazier than him and more fearless. - imdb quotes

The MSJ posted:

I want the actual movie to be black and white.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

K. Waste posted:

It's actually a little more nuanced than that. A persistent theme running throughout these deleted scenes is Harley "tapping into the head" of her co-stars. This includes the Joker, who effectively says to her, basically, "I don't even know who I am anymore because of you." Even the bar scene is now even more deeply laced with this idea of Harley clandestinely "poisoning" or coercing the team into one, final, irrational act of self-redemption.

In the theatrical cut, this stuff is mostly nixed in favor of just the image of Enchantress also tapping into Waller's head.

Her transparently going after her team members during the walk was wince inducing. It's just so badly done, hitting you over the head with it. "I want to rip thier minds open and spit in it?!"

Still glad I didn't pay to see this movie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shageletic posted:

Her transparently going after her team members during the walk was wince inducing. It's just so badly done, hitting you over the head with it. "I want to rip their minds open and spit in it?!"

I do not disagree with this. But at least we get to hear Katana say something other than Japanese rants about her sword

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I will always love suicide squad for creating THIS IS KATANAAAAAAa but maybe the hero of that moment is Joel Kinnaman

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Her transparently going after her team members during the walk was wince inducing. It's just so badly done, hitting you over the head with it. "I want to rip thier minds open and spit in it?!"

It's a tough line to sell, and Margot Robbie just isn't up to the job. Some more time with the squad is a nice idea, but I can see why they cut it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It'd probably be less transparent if it was in context, rather than a clip with the title "HARLEY VEXING THE SQUAD".

What does Will Smith say in the clip? Something about a stripper?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's a tough line to sell, and Margot Robbie just isn't up to the job. Some more time with the squad is a nice idea, but I can see why they cut it.

I place this on the script and direction, not the actors.

Also, watching those youtube clips made me remember how poor I thought Croc's voice was modulated.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Drifter posted:

I place this on the script and direction, not the actors.

I can't speak to whether the performance was driven by Robbie's choices or Ayer's or whoever, and it's part of the problem that it's a tough line to sell, but I don't believe that particular performance was the best way to deliver that line. She's just duplicating the content of what she's saying, not informing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Spider-Man Homecoming trailer is going to debut at Midnight on December 16th attached to Star Wars: Rogue One.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Trailer is scheduled to drop in December as well.

• Locked thread