Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Funnily enough DotA 2 actually does have a reason for everyone to fight everyone else, being able to respawn and why the creeps exist. The Ancients are massive magical intelligences from the dawn of time that were told by the other massive magical intelligences to stop their pissing contest, didn't do so and were sealed inside a moon together for all eternity.

The moon shatters and parts of them fall down to the planet as huge crystals which bring weak lesser minds under their thrall, which is where the creeps/minions come from. Heroes are also under their thrall but due to personal strength don't get completely taken over, but are still compelled to destroy the shard of the opposing ancient.

:weed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

braum punching a mountain to death is dumb, i said it

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
All lore in a fighting man game is dumb

Guys I really need to know why LeBron James dunks so hard, what is his backstory and motivation when he's taking it to the rack

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Teikanmi posted:

All lore in a fighting man game is dumb

Guys I really need to know why LeBron James dunks so hard, what is his backstory and motivation when he's taking it to the rack

spoken like a person who doesn't begin to know or understand barkley shut up and jam

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

braum:
- punches mountains to death
- has a mustache
- smells like bacon
- wears ironic mustache shirts
- loves reddit

Orv
May 4, 2011
The one piece of lore I remember is that someone was basically a rogue nazi weapons scientist or something? Singed maybe? Just gassin' Zaun or whatever for shits and giggles.

Oh and that the League has like, seventeen serial killers in it.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I figured dumping the Summoner lore was a prelude to dimestore fantasy novels or an MMO or a phone game or something, but instead we got nothing :greencube:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What about the yordle robot game, that's a thing

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

why is the new client so small

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One day, Tryndamere's parents were killed by mysterious cloaked strangers, he is now the Barbarian King, The End.

One day, a wizard drowned in a swamp, he is now Karthus, The End.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One day, Tryndamere's parents were killed by mysterious cloaked strangers, he is now the Barbarian King, The End.

One day, a wizard drowned in a swamp, he is now Karthus, The End.

But what would happen if they kiss?

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Philip Rivers posted:

why is the new client so small

more importantly why is there no way to lower the volume of champ select quotes.

also there is a window size option in the settings

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.
I thought this sudden interest in lore was just Riot trying to backtrack and establish a story and worldbuilding so they could pump out other titles under the same name?

I stopped playing some time before the end of season out of boredom and I have only messed about in customs to test out champs in the jungle. Can't say I really want to play right now, especially with Kha'Zix being insanely good and Rengar being even more feast/famine than he has been in previous iterations. Nice to see that Nidalee got inadvertently curb-stomped by the jungle changes though.

Has anyone got opinions on the jungle plants from actually playing? They seem pretty poo poo to be honest. Anyone tried out new LeBlanc?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

anti-magic posted:

Has anyone got opinions on the jungle plants from actually playing? They seem pretty poo poo to be honest.

For how little they truly affect anything, they might as well not be there.

Only real uses I've ever gotten out of them was moving 0.5 seconds faster to the next jungle camp, checking dragon/baron pit and getting some health back if the health fruit spawns on my side of the river.

The jungle camp buffs had a lot bigger impact on the game, especially the wolf ghost and the raptor buff. The fruits are just kinda there and maybe there is occasionally some situation where they might have an impact but probably not.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Taitale posted:

more importantly why is there no way to lower the volume of champ select quotes.

also there is a window size option in the settings

i looked at the faq to see if i wanted to install the client and it specifically said that adjusting settings was coming in a later update. thats not a big deal tho, that's a feature most people don't expect from software.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
so the last flex ranked placement games I got two afks, 1 afks, and 1 feeder. If I completely did poo poo on my placements, do I get stuck at bronze 5 or what when pre-season ends or what?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

welcome to elo hell b*tch

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

so the last flex ranked placement games I got two afks, 1 afks, and 1 feeder. If I completely did poo poo on my placements, do I get stuck at bronze 5 or what when pre-season ends or what?

The start of the 2017 season comes with yet another reset and yet another set of placement matches, so don't sweat it.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Magmar posted:

Funnily enough DotA 2 actually does have a reason for everyone to fight everyone else, being able to respawn and why the creeps exist. The Ancients are massive magical intelligences from the dawn of time that were told by the other massive magical intelligences to stop their pissing contest, didn't do so and were sealed inside a moon together for all eternity.

The moon shatters and parts of them fall down to the planet as huge crystals which bring weak lesser minds under their thrall, which is where the creeps/minions come from. Heroes are also under their thrall but due to personal strength don't get completely taken over, but are still compelled to destroy the shard of the opposing ancient.

This is not a bad idea but I think the League itself was a really interesting idea that could've included interesting stories. Also Braum totally would've joined the League to help the Freljord gain resources or keep it safe from other nations trying to invade. The existence of the League in of itself gives people a reason to want to join, as it was essentially a world-wide sanctioned blood sport that replaced wars because if they continued to fight over lands as they did previously the continent would be destroyed by magical fallout. The only recent characters who wouldn't really work as joining the League are Bard, Kindred and Aurelion Sol. Two of which can just have mysterious reasons and Sol can be forced into it by the Targonians.

Also being in the league is very personally rewarding- the league was totally willing to bribe people with their resources, either straight up payouts (Sivir) or lending their massive magical research staff (Ahri) or even magical power/alliance (Morgana and Kayle). IP used to be an in-lore currency that was basically worth more than money because you could use it tp get things you couldn't normally buy- old Twitch references wanting to use his winnings to research how he came to be to make more rats like him. Aside from that, people joined for nationalist reasons (Garen, Talon, Swain, J4, etc), wanting a challenge (Jax, Wukong), fame (Draven), because magic forced them (Ezreal), or because the league straight up captured them (Fiddlesticks, Nocturne, Brand, Xerath). Also popular was "no one knows why!!! Mystery agenda!!!" such as Hecarim. Since the league was the most powerful entity in the setting and was willing to pay whatever to recruit people, it was super easy to justify anyone joining.

The "why are you here" lore only fell apart with Elise, who's entire lore was about tricking people into going to the Shadow Isles with her so she could feed them to Vilemaw for eternal life and youth. This required hiding she was a horrible spiderlady, so joining an organisation that put her spider powers on display would be... unwise. If Riot had bothered to explain it though it would have been an easy justification- the league would have helped her research Vilemaw, and probably would even just provide her sacrifices, they were a little dickish sometimes.

The reason they fake as being why they deleted it was the legit problem of no one's story can advance (Graves always is failing to get revenge, etc) and everyone has to awkwardly be around simultaneously. Given that league is already summoning some fake rear end undying version of people there's literally no reason they couldn't be just summoning dead people from the past or whatever, so that's not the real reason. The real reason is Riot was annoyed that they had to end all their crappy lore bits with "and then they joined the league" because actually writing their character into their setting was too much work when they could just vomit up random OCs they made up when they were twelve.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

i looked at the faq to see if i wanted to install the client and it specifically said that adjusting settings was coming in a later update. thats not a big deal tho, that's a feature most people don't expect from software.

The thing that gets me is there are settings that cover all the other sound/music in the client, just not the quotes. There isn't even a toggle for them.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yeah but they made it so TF was a good guy all along and that was lame.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Plants are fine I guess. There have been times I've used the explosion plant to juke someone and escape with my life over a wall, or knocked them back to create enough distance. The vision plant is fine, it sees stuff and getting the ones in the enemy jungle definitely helps with a bit of vision control. The health one I never see anyone ever use unless they just won a fight and don't want to back. Overall though, they are a lot less fun and strategic than smite bonuses and can honestly just be ignored about 95% of the time except the vision one.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the only bit of lore that's ever stuck with me is when it's heavily implied rammus utterly demolished a temple while sleepspinning

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

This is the only bit of lore I know or particularly care about.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Plants are fine I guess. There have been times I've used the explosion plant to juke someone and escape with my life over a wall, or knocked them back to create enough distance. The vision plant is fine, it sees stuff and getting the ones in the enemy jungle definitely helps with a bit of vision control. The health one I never see anyone ever use unless they just won a fight and don't want to back. Overall though, they are a lot less fun and strategic than smite bonuses and can honestly just be ignored about 95% of the time except the vision one.

I think the blue ones are a solid replacement for the raptor buff since it reveals all wards for 10 seconds. Let's you know if it's worth ganking for your teammates that refuse to buy control wards.

Red is whatever, I might get one good use out of them every other game. The healing fruit seems superfluous although one time I got a kill because someone stepped on a fruit and I caught up to them thanks to the slow.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
I use the bomb plants to get to my camps faster over walls, I don't take the health, and the vision plant's animation goes off on the map to the entire enemy team so it completely ruins your chances of ganking for thirty seconds or so. So that's funny.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The plants feel pretty pointless, like they're in that zone where something can only be grossly overpowered and annoying or not even there.

I'm still not keen on them activating from autoattacks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Plants are just frigging dumb. They're not interesting in any way except maybe the bombs allowing for unusual ganks and that's random enough it feels like luck rather than a player being smart.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Mostly I've been kicking the plants over on purpose so they can't dick my team over later instead of using them how they should be used.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The vision plant is dumb because it tells the entire enemy team where you are. If I see some idiot hit it and tell everyone he's at top golems I'm going to go murder his bot lane and take dragon.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
you shouldn't really touch it unless you're at a disadvantage and you're trying to check baron/dragon pit - although the other team has probably already smacked it to take it away from you

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I played a game last night in which my mid and bot lanes (tristana support!) when 5-41. Then my top laner went 2-16 in the next game.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Methanar posted:

The vision plant is dumb because it tells the entire enemy team where you are. If I see some idiot hit it and tell everyone he's at top golems I'm going to go murder his bot lane and take dragon.

Yeah I've avoided a bunch of ganks for people using them for no reason, it's like they haven't caught on to the rest of the map being able to see the pulse.

The blast plants have felt kind of cool so far, I've used them in a couple combat situations. The heal plants have come up once or twice before a baron figth, I dunno so far the plants seem mostly okay to me. As a supp I think blast plants in particular are a good safety net to play around when warding more dangerous areas.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

stump collector posted:

you shouldn't really touch it unless you're at a disadvantage and you're trying to check baron/dragon pit - although the other team has probably already smacked it to take it away from you

The few times I've played, I've been the only one using it on either team, both as jungle or support. Does it reveal who uses it or just that it gets used?

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

thelazyblank posted:

The few times I've played, I've been the only one using it on either team, both as jungle or support. Does it reveal who uses it or just that it gets used?

It just shows an air gust effect on the mini-map. It's pretty noticeable though.

I still think they're a decent budget sweeper, especially once teams have begun grouping. It lets you clear wards around objectives safely and prevents the bush surprise garbage a lot of people try to pull when theyre ahead.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Plants are fun and don't really have much effect on the game so I say why not

stump collector
May 28, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK3-muV34UM

plants gave us this and they belong in the game

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I think the river regen plants actually have a pretty big effect, the rest of them are kind of w/e

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like heal plants are going to be a pain in the rear end toplane once people get a better handle on spawns because they can shove up and then run off to river to get an unreasonable amount of health and mana back. For now though I feel like they're so unlikely to actually be there that no one bothers. Bounce fruit I like even if it's dumb. Vision plant is whatever, the sweep is nice for when you already control an area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

that top lane thing doesnt bother me, lane control is a thing that matters and thats just a part of that

• Locked thread