Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Please put all bad text in bold and all good text in italics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

We don't hold democrats accountable in primaries.

Because they're only accountable to their wealthiest constituents.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

greatn posted:

Fixed that for you.

In other news, any Trump supporter that works at a University or College is a self-defeating moron!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/17/us/is-it-safe-foreign-students-consider-college-in-donald-trumps-us.html

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

BarbarianElephant posted:

You can have influence on the Democratic party by turning up at local meetings and doing the work. Politics is run by those who turn up.
Yes I know that's true to an extent and I will be doing that once I'm back in the country.

In the meantime we need effective leadership now, and it looks like other than getting Keith Ellison as chair of the DNC, Bernie Sanders will not be doing much else than being chief PR bullshitter for Chuck Schumer. And Warren is great but she has no will to power so frankly she's not going to be effective either.

I mean Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer are the apparent leaders of the party after this, the 2016 elections where Donald Trump was elected President.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

greatn posted:

I just don't see what's wrong about saying "Hey, my voters are good people." It'd be political suicide to say otherwise, unless I'm misinterpting.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

comingafteryouall posted:

Fixed that for you.

In other news, any Trump supporter that works at a University or College is a self-defeating moron!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/17/us/is-it-safe-foreign-students-consider-college-in-donald-trumps-us.html

Behind a pay wall, would you kindly post the juicy bits

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Actually it's run by donors and fundraising.

Clinton raised and spent infinity more money than Trump. And lost.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Like it's starting to appear these fuckers actually think that now that "their base" sees what happens when they don't vote, they can just carry on with business as usual and expect the turnout that is their birthright in 2018. Literally as they're clucking about the hubris of Clinton they're playing the same drat game.

We are so hosed.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Behind a pay wall, would you kindly post the juicy bits

quote:

Aman Kumar, 18, who is looking at universities in California, said, “In his campaign, he’s discriminating against Muslim and other brown and black people,” adding, “I’m thinking of applying to Canada.”

This year, the number of international students in United States colleges surpassed one million for the first time, bringing more than $32 billion a year into the economy and infusions of money to financially struggling colleges.

Canadian universities have already detected a postelection surge in interest from overseas.

“We have seen an increase in applications from the U.S. and from international students in the last week,” Jocelyne Younan, the director of global undergraduate recruitment at McGill University in Montreal, wrote in an email. “We’ve also seen an increase in students inquiring about McGill on social media.”

Traffic on a University of Toronto website for international applicants surged the day after the election, officials there said — and most of it came from Americans.

More recently, international education experts who have been on the ground in China and India — the two biggest feeder countries to United States colleges — also say they are seeing postelection jitters.

Andrew Chen, the chief development officer at WholeRen, an international education consulting company in Pittsburgh, returned to the United States this week from China, where he said colleges in other countries were trying to capitalize on fears over Mr. Trump.

“Many organizations and programs are starting to use this to promote education in the U.K., Australia and Singapore,” Mr. Chen said. “These competitors paint the U.S. as not safe. Now, with Trump, they’re saying it’s going to be unfriendly.”

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
They want to help Trump build toll roads all over the place. Toll roads. They want to help build and take credit (blame) for toll roads.

Except what will happen is the Republicans will get credit for the new jobs and people will shake their fist at the Democrats every time they pay the toll.

We are turbo-hosed.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Clinton raised and spent infinity more money than Trump. And lost.

That was my loving point :rolleye:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kilroy posted:

Like it's starting to appear these fuckers actually think that now that "their base" sees what happens when they don't vote, they can just carry on with business as usual and expect the turnout that is their birthright in 2018. Literally as they're clucking about the hubris of Clinton they're playing the same drat game.

We are so hosed.

Welp, maybe they'll learn their lesson when the Republicans get a super majority and make a new amendment that makes all democrats terroists and has them all executed.
/
In all seriousness, it's only 6 days after the election. How did the Republicans respond only 6 or so days after Obama's first election?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Because they're only accountable to their wealthiest constituents.

That's only because democrats don't vote in primaries the way republicans do.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Kilroy posted:

They want to help Trump build toll roads all over the place. Toll roads. They want to help build and take credit (blame) for toll roads.

Except what will happen is the Republicans will get credit for the new jobs and people will shake their fist at the Democrats every time they pay the toll.

We are turbo-hosed.

If they're anything like the toll roads here in Texas they're going to be built and then the rights to the tolls will be sold to a third party for a lump sum up front.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

That was my loving point :rolleye:

You said "Actually it's run by donors and fundraising." which is what Democrats used to think...and probably don't now. Clinton raised oodles of cash but doing so annoyed the voters because it seemed like you couldn't get the time of day from her without a $10,000 check. Meanwhile Trump raised little, spent little, and spent the time personally engaging with voters via his batshit crazy Twitter feed (free.)

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

You said "Actually it's run by donors and fundraising." which is what Democrats used to think...and probably don't now. Clinton raised oodles of cash but doing so annoyed the voters because it seemed like you couldn't get the time of day from her without a $10,000 check. Meanwhile Trump raised little, spent little, and spent the time personally engaging with voters via his batshit crazy Twitter feed (free.)

Yes mate, I'm aware of this

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

That's only because democrats don't vote in primaries the way republicans do.

I wonder why

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Trump is going to take office with mid 30s approval ratings and Schumer is apparently going to do everything he can to improve that lol.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Yes mate, I'm aware of this

You kinda said the opposite. Remember sarcastic tone doesn't travel via the intertubes.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

mcmagic posted:

Trump is going to take office with mid 30s approval ratings and Schumer is apparently going to do everything he can to improve that lol.

nobody can accuse him of not being a born team player

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Covok posted:

Welp, maybe they'll learn their lesson when the Republicans get a super majority and make a new amendment that makes all democrats terroists and has them all executed.
/
In all seriousness, it's only 6 days after the election. How did the Republicans respond only 6 or so days after Obama's first election?
They immediately started strategizing on how to ruin him. You also had the formation of the Tea Party movement.

God this language from the Dems is depressing. Are they seriously ready to roll over already? Goddamn.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

You kinda said the opposite. Remember sarcastic tone doesn't travel via the intertubes.

Yes, it's called "ironic humor" :grin:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kilroy posted:

In the meantime we need effective leadership now, and it looks like other than getting Keith Ellison as chair of the DNC, Bernie Sanders will not be doing much else than being chief PR bullshitter for Chuck Schumer. And Warren is great but she has no will to power so frankly she's not going to be effective either.

I'm actually genuinely worried that their positions are nothing but lip service and we haven't really gotten anywhere.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

FlamingLiberal posted:

They immediately started strategizing on how to ruin him. You also had the formation of the Tea Party movement.

God this language from the Dems is depressing. Are they seriously ready to roll over already? Goddamn.

Remember when we thought that Hillary was gonna fight for us

Covok
May 27, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh, I see.

So, we're hosed then?

No surprise.

Looks like we should just get used to having to go into old age with the shame that we couldn't stop the mass genocide of 12 million Muslims then.

---Democrats right now

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

FlamingLiberal posted:

The tea party got its start as an astroturf movement. I'm not sure that the Dems have it in them for that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just think it's hilarious how bad the Trumpstaffel are at not looking and sounding like fascists.
It's to their advantage. America wants fascism. Lock them up!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/11/collaborating-with-donald-trump-is-doomed-to-fail.html

This is so obvious that even centrist hacks like Jon Chait get it. Collaboration is a suicide pact.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just think it's hilarious how bad the Trumpstaffel are at not looking and sounding like fascists.

I wonder how much of that is people going "nawh they don't really mean it..."

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

I'm actually genuinely worried that their positions are nothing but lip service and we haven't really gotten anywhere.

these guys have been collaborating with whoever was in power and paying lip service to you their entire lives, been lavishly rewarded for it every step of the way, and you thought one bad election year would see their Damascene conversion to populist radicals? You're going to need to get them out of office if you want change.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Republican Super Majority:

Objective 1) Constitutional Amendment Banning Gay Marriage and Abortion

Objective 2) Constitutional Amendment Outlawing All Religions Except Christianity

Objective 3) Constitutional Amendment Outlawing All Social Welfare

Objective 4) Constitutional Amendment Linking Human Rights To Personal Wealth: Make Less Than 300K/year And You're Not A Human Under The Law

Objective 5) Constitutional Amendment Outlawing the Income Tax And Allowing Republicans To Seize America's Assets When It Goes Bankrupt

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Covok posted:

/
He was in a literal bunker with other congressional Republicans devising a plan to bring down the Democratic party, which they then went out and executed on.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

iospace posted:

I see three senators potentially going nuclear on anything batshit Trump does:
1. Graham
2. Rand Paul
3. Jeff Flake

Assuming all 48 democrats are assumed nay, that's 51 nays right there.

This is from pages back, but Jeff Flake reconciled on twitter, so he's bent the knee to the Trump presidency.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kilroy posted:

He was in a literal bunker with other congressional Republicans devising a plan to bring down the Democratic party, which they then went out and executed on.

I can't think of a worse leader than Schumer.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

US Director of National Intelligence James Clapper has resigned.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Covok posted:

Republican Super Majority:

Objective 1) Constitutional Amendment Banning Gay Marriage and Abortion

Objective 2) Constitutional Amendment Outlawing All Religions Except Christianity

Objective 3) Constitutional Amendment Outlawing All Social Welfare

Objective 4) Constitutional Amendment Linking Human Rights To Personal Wealth: Make Less Than 300K/year And You're Not A Human Under The Law

Objective 5) Constitutional Amendment Outlawing the Income Tax And Allowing Republicans To Seize America's Assets When It Goes Bankrupt

This assumes a 38 fully Republican-run states as well, and while we're close to that, it's not guaranteed after 2018. There are some retiring or term-limited Republican incumbents up for reelection in winnable states, like Maine and Nevada, and most of the Democratic incumbents are in states like New York and Hawaii where they're not going anywhere. Other Republicans are up for reelection in states that Clinton won decisively, like Vermont, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Illinois. Obviously Democrats actually doing something in an off-year isn't something we've seen recently, but I'd chalk that up to the DNC's total neglect of anything other than national politics, and it sounds like both Keith Ellison and Howard Dean know better.

Congress can't pass amendments on its own, even with a Republican supermajority.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 17, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

these guys have been collaborating with whoever was in power and paying lip service to you their entire lives, been lavishly rewarded for it every step of the way, and you thought one bad election year would see their Damascene conversion to populist radicals? You're going to need to get them out of office if you want change.

This is the truth. Salvation was never going to come from above.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

citybeatnik posted:

The tea party got its start as an astroturf movement. I'm not sure that the Dems have it in them for that.
I mean the closest thing similar to that as far as outsiders within the Democratic Party trying to cause reform would be Sanders and that didn't lead to much yet.

The fact that there was no leadership battle whatsoever in the Senate is not a good sign.

Dems are not even learning from 2014 let alone this election. Just look at those Dem Senators from red states talking about working with Trump on some issues. A bunch of Dems tried the same crap in 2014 with running away from the President and guess what happened? They lost. Why are GOP voters going to vote for a Democrat who is campaigning like a Republican? It never works and they never learn this.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Call Schumer and tell him we will not accept collaboration.

(212) 486-4430

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

mcmagic posted:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/11/collaborating-with-donald-trump-is-doomed-to-fail.html

This is so obvious that even centrist hacks like Jon Chait get it. Collaboration is a suicide pact.
To be fair, if the Democratic party was planning on doing this, what we'd be seeing now is pretty much what we're seeing now. Of course to actually think they're actually going to do that you have to ignore everything else you know about the Democratic party, and welp.

• Locked thread