Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

White Coke posted:

Alexey, at 1:18 you refer to "well" as "the parasite word". I've never heard any word referred to as such. What did you mean by that? You shouldn't beat yourself up about getting english wrong though, no one can speak it properly. And you're by far the most articulate chinchilla I've ever heard.

Without ever having heard the phrase "parasite word" just from context I could tell he meant words like, "like," "um," "uh." Empty words your mouth uses to make noise while your brain is thinking. Doing a google search for "parasite words" gives a result of the Wiki page for "filler words" which makes more sense than "parasite words" and that Wiki article specifically references President Reagan starting many sentences with "Well...".

And yeah, English is a language full of hateful rules. Good/food. Ph = f. Gh being silent, but still being needed for some reason. And then there's all the words from OTHER languages that English has stolen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Perhaps the rename occurred late after they realized that the Summoner has way too many differences from the original Archvile.

Good catch on the out of alphabetalical order thing.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

White Coke posted:

Alexey, at 1:18 you refer to "well" as "the parasite word". I've never heard any word referred to as such. What did you mean by that? You shouldn't beat yourself up about getting english wrong though, no one can speak it properly. And you're by far the most articulate chinchilla I've ever heard.

Wa11y posted:

Without ever having heard the phrase "parasite word" just from context I could tell he meant words like, "like," "um," "uh." Empty words your mouth uses to make noise while your brain is thinking. Doing a google search for "parasite words" gives a result of the Wiki page for "filler words" which makes more sense than "parasite words" and that Wiki article specifically references President Reagan starting many sentences with "Well...".

And yeah, English is a language full of hateful rules. Good/food. Ph = f. Gh being silent, but still being needed for some reason. And then there's all the words from OTHER languages that English has stolen.

Yes, I meant filler words. And I'm not beating myself up over it, I've embraced it and am having fun with it. I can talk properly when I focus, I just don't do it for LPs :v:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

Yes, I meant filler words. And I'm not beating myself up over it, I've embraced it and am having fun with it. I can talk properly when I focus, I just don't do it for LPs :v:

So your lp curse is to be incoherent instead of sucking terribly when the game is recording. Seems you won the lp lottery.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Wa11y posted:

Good/food.

??????????????

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Aumanor posted:

??????????????

At a guess, I'm assuming the point that, despite "good" and "food" only having all but one letter in common, they're pronounced very differently. Which is weird. Google "English pronunciation poem" for more examples.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Apep727 posted:

At a guess, I'm assuming the point that, despite "good" and "food" only having all but one letter in common, they're pronounced very differently. Which is weird. Google "English pronunciation poem" for more examples.

Ehh, the difference isn't that stark to me. If you want a good example of a single drat letter making a huge difference, try chair/choir. The moment I heard the latter pronounced I literally facepalmed and gave up trying to make any sense out of English pronunciation for good.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Good / Food / Blood / Flood.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I'm in a mood for some good blood in the flood of food in the hood

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Doctor Cockburn took a look at my cock burn and fixed my plumbing problem with a plume. (A sad story, how I ended up there.)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Though on the bough I thought I felt a draught

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Suck it!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Okay, it's official, Russian is easier than English

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

But there's no such thing as a fish.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Then where would we get fish heads to take to the movies?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

And Gallagher's take on the issue.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

I'm pretty sure that bit was exactly where I got most of my hate for the English language. I remember seeing that bit way back in the day when I was a youngster, and that "gud fud/goood foood" bit has been my go to example forever.

Edit: And my 6 year old daughter is going through first grade, and watching her learn to spell is completely different than how I learned it. For me, back in the 80s, it was all by rote, with spelling bees and vocabulary tests, as far back as I can remember. You spelled it right, or you got a red check mark. She's learning with "sight words" that are short words they're teaching by rote, but then every other non-sight word she's learning to spell phonetically, then they correct them later. Reading through her writing, I often have to say the word she's written to figure it out what word it is. My favorite is "wodr". As in, "I was thirsty so I had a drink of 'wodr'." It wasn't until I tried to sound it out that I figured it out it was "water". Context can sometimes help.

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 17, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Bascule posted:

Woak up. Got dresd. Had brekfast. Spoke wif Ergates thi ant who sed itz juss been wurk wurk wurk 4 u lately master Bascule, Y dont u ½ a holiday? & I agreed & that woz how we decided we otter go 2 c Mr Zoliparia in thi I-ball ov thi gargoyle Rosbrith.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Wa11y posted:

I'm pretty sure that bit was exactly where I got most of my hate for the English language. I remember seeing that bit way back in the day when I was a youngster, and that "gud fud/goood foood" bit has been my go to example forever.

My hatred came from growing up in America with an English father so I was "bilingual". Kept getting marked off on spelling tests for putting u in armour and such.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Don't worry, Alexey, it took Psychedelic Eyeball years to pronounce some English words correctly with his thick Quebecois twang. His voice is part of what makes his LPs so distinct and lovable. Embrace your second-language English.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 17, 2016

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Wa11y posted:

Edit: And my 6 year old daughter is going through first grade, and watching her learn to spell is completely different than how I learned it. For me, back in the 80s, it was all by rote, with spelling bees and vocabulary tests, as far back as I can remember. You spelled it right, or you got a red check mark. She's learning with "sight words" that are short words they're teaching by rote, but then every other non-sight word she's learning to spell phonetically, then they correct them later. Reading through her writing, I often have to say the word she's written to figure it out what word it is. My favorite is "wodr". As in, "I was thirsty so I had a drink of 'wodr'." It wasn't until I tried to sound it out that I figured it out it was "water". Context can sometimes help.

Middle school teacher here, I've actually heard a fair bit of bitching from other teachers that spelling has gone down the drain since schools started moving away from teaching how to recognize and read words based on phonetics. Part of phonetics also involves learning rules for pronunciation and kids aren't getting those rules drilled now. So for example, you would read the word "water", learn how to pronounce it as "WAH-ter", then also be taught to remember "that's how you spell the wet stuff we drink from the faucet". Now schools are just leaving the second part off and teaching it separately with the obvious problem.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

get that OUT of my face posted:

Don't worry, Alexey, it took Psychedelic Eyeball years to pronounce some English words correctly with his thick Quebecois twang. His voice is part of what makes his LPs so distinct and lovable. Embrace your second-language English.

I for one don't know if I could stand to watch any of your videos if you used proper english, Alexey.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Dude with the native language that follows the rule "Write as you speak and read as it is written."

*laughs*

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Dude with the native language that follows the rule "Write as you speak and read as it is written."

*laughs*

Out of the languages that I have studied, and I've studied a lot, the ones closest to following this rule are Turkish and Spanish.* Russian is technically there, too, but even though the rules are generally consistent, they are so extensive and convoluted that it's almost as bad as English

*the one spoken in Spain

Embrace your second-language English.

I've done it long ago, I went from being conscious about it to "this is my gimmick" very fast :v:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought you were just from like... Brooklyn or something? They speak funny on the East coast.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I thought you were just from like... Brooklyn or something? They speak funny on the East coast.

They may be commies on the coasts but not that much.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Turtlicious posted:

This might just equal the guy who thought Psych. Eyeball was from India.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

White Coke posted:

So your lp curse is to be incoherent instead of sucking terribly when the game is recording. Seems you won the lp lottery.

Some people are entirely coherent, and mostly competent, and knowledgeable and all that good stuff. And then their computers keep catching fire and their hard drives need to be exorcised every full moon.

Keep speaking incorrect English. It's entirely fine to do so, and the alternatives are definitely worse.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
its not incorrect english, as long as you're understandable

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That's the thing I love about language. You don't need to be 100% correct to be understood.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Turtlicious posted:

No offence dude, but I'm from Malaysia and I pegged Alexey as Russian from the get-go. Mind you, as far as I'm concerned American accents only comprise Southern Yeehawdi, NOO YAWK, Boston Hahbah and Generic Hollywood, so I'm not exactly one to talk :v:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CommissarMega posted:

No offence dude, but I'm from Malaysia and I pegged Alexey as Russian from the get-go. Mind you, as far as I'm concerned American accents only comprise Southern Yeehawdi, NOO YAWK, Boston Hahbah and Generic Hollywood, so I'm not exactly one to talk :v:
You forgot Midwestern Ohjeez.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

I'm flattered and surprised
I know my accent doesn't scream
Russia, because eastern Slavic accents that aren't thick are rare, but still :V

TheDarkFlame posted:

Some people are entirely coherent, and mostly competent, and knowledgeable and all that good stuff. And then their computers keep catching fire and their hard drives need to be exorcised every full moon.

Keep speaking incorrect English. It's entirely fine to do so, and the alternatives are definitely worse.

Oh, I will!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

I know my accent doesn't scream
Russia, because eastern Slavic accents that aren't thick are rare, but still :V

You don't change nearly enough of your V's into W's to be Russian.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Greek is a mostly well-behaved written language, but there are still some silly things to remember. It works best for reading, not so much for transcribing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I thought you were just from like... Brooklyn or something?
That's actually not a bad guess! There are a lot of Russians and Russian-speakers in South Brooklyn, to the point where one neighborhood (Sheepshead Bay) has a bunch of glass condos being built so that rich Russians can use them to embezzle money in real estate in a place where they don't have to learn English. Brighton Beach also has a very large Russian population, as do formerly Italian-as-hell Bensonhurst and Gravesend (which also has people from other parts of the former USSR to boot). Then you've got a fair number of Russian-speaking Hasidic and Orthodox Jews in Borough Park, Midwood, and a stretch of parkway that goes down to Coney Island and starts not far from where I live.

I'm a nerd over my own city, can you tell?

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 18, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That's actually not a bad guess! There are a lot of Russians and Russian-speakers in South Brooklyn, to the point where one neighborhood (Sheepshead Bay) has a bunch of glass condos being built so that rich Russians can use them to embezzle money in real estate in a place where they don't have to learn English. Brighton Beach also has a very large Russian population, as do formerly Italian-as-hell Bensonhurst and Gravesend (which also has people from other parts of the former USSR to boot). Then you've got a fair number of Russian-speaking Hasidic and Orthodox Jews in Borough Park, Midwood, and a stretch of parkway that goes down to Coney Island and starts not far from where I live.

I'm a nerd over my own city, can you tell?

I'm likewise a nerd over NYC, and Brighton Beach is awesome for anyone with an interest in Eastern European culture. It's like Chinatown in that half the signs are bilingual or completely written in a foreign script, except this time it's Cyrillic instead of Chinese.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This level is why I think that there must have been two very different level designers/design teams working on the game. Right after a level with arbitrary impediments to backtracking, you get a level that allows you to backtrack nearly all the way through right up to the end. (And then the next level... oh god. :cripes: ) I also liked that there were parts of the level you never need to go to but are just there to explore and fight more things. Both this level and the prior Mars surface level are the best in the game imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
As an aside, this game is about 60% off on steam. Massacring demons has never been so tempting.

• Locked thread