Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It is important to consider the empathy of the giant space robots who grafted a human onto a batarian to serve as a gun-arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What is this obsession with having aliens that look nothing like humans, who cares? This is a Star Trek style universe, everything is bipedal, why does it matter?

The only issue I'm seeing is that the Tekk look almost exactly like the Protheans, to the point that I'm pretty sure it will be revealed that they're the same species.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
This is dumb because Bioware already made us feel for a walking salamander and a faceless robit.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

precision posted:

What is this obsession with having aliens that look nothing like humans, who cares? This is a Star Trek style universe, everything is bipedal, why does it matter?

An infinite universe and for some reason every female is fuckable
or
Elcor and Hanar do exist as non-humanoids, but Bioware is too lazy to rig new models
or
Aliens that don't look like humans are far more interesting than pansexual squidhead ladies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Thor-Stryker posted:

Aliens that don't look like humans are far more interesting than pansexual squidhead ladies.

I'm not saying I disagree, at all, I'm saying who the flip cares as long as the game and story are good.

And Hanar and Elcor? They're in the games so rarely I literally didn't think of them. There's all of one Hanar in the whole trilogy you ever see in person, you never actually interact with them and their main purpose for existing is for a really terrible joke told very slowly. Elcor I'll grant you look different from humans, but not that much - they still have two arms and two legs (or four legs, two of which look more like arms, whatever).

I'm just saying, some posting is starting to sound like the kind of people who bought Monster Manual 2 and unironically thought Modrons were awesome.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Making sure players have empathy for the aliens is code for making sure the players want to put their penises into the aliens making sure it's generic enough that the design will work for a broader audience

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Nobody should overestimate the minimum amount of anthropomorphism something needs for the internet to want to gently caress it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zzulu posted:

Making sure players have empathy for the aliens is code for making sure the players want to put their penises into the aliens making sure it's generic enough that the design will work for a broader audience

I'm not saying that isn't true, I'm just saying who cares as long as it ends up good and that having weirdo races does literally nothing to increase or decrease the odds of the game being good. The ME series and Bioware in general are things that are expected to have a massive fan base. They stopped playing 2 hour long drunken sets in bars over a decade ago.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At this point I feel most of Mass Effect's appeal comes from the fact that there isn't another mass audience space opera RPG contending with it. I found it so hard to go back to Skyrim after Witcher 3 offered an alternative, but there isn't anything on the same size as Mass Effect that is competing with it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

precision posted:

I'm not saying I disagree, at all, I'm saying who the flip cares as long as the game and story are good.

And Hanar and Elcor? They're in the games so rarely I literally didn't think of them. There's all of one Hanar in the whole trilogy you ever see in person, you never actually interact with them and their main purpose for existing is for a really terrible joke told very slowly. Elcor I'll grant you look different from humans, but not that much - they still have two arms and two legs (or four legs, two of which look more like arms, whatever).

I'm just saying, some posting is starting to sound like the kind of people who bought Monster Manual 2 and unironically thought Modrons were awesome.

There's at least two or three. I remember at least one in 1 and two in 3. There were probably more in 1 that I'm forgetting, I always only remember the one with the stupid preaching sidequest that I hate because I usually don't have enough Paragon/Renegade points to complete it the ~best way~ on my first trip to the Citadel.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
In ME3 there's one in the citadel and one in Omega who's looking for a couch.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

precision posted:

If everything looks like humans it's hard to even tolerate them because the standard misanthropy we all feel applies

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Star Trek aliens were all bipedal humanoids because it was low budget and only humans could play the aliens irl

This is a loving video game in tyool 2016+

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
1966: Star Trek alien guy puts a prosthetic rear end on a black dude's forehead and calls it a day
2016: Mass Effect alien guy puts a rock model on the black dude model's forehead and calls it a day

I mean that's p much the same thing

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Shepard totally proved that humanity is the pinnacle of evolution in the milky way galaxy so it stands to reason that other galaxies would be evolving into a similar form if they want a top dog like Shep.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Infinity Gaia posted:

There's at least two or three. I remember at least one in 1 and two in 3. There were probably more in 1 that I'm forgetting, I always only remember the one with the stupid preaching sidequest that I hate because I usually don't have enough Paragon/Renegade points to complete it the ~best way~ on my first trip to the Citadel.

My gaming OCD hates that quest so loving much. It was hard to make myself specifically remember not to talk to him until I had a few missions done.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

precision posted:

I'm not saying that isn't true, I'm just saying who cares as long as it ends up good and that having weirdo races does literally nothing to increase or decrease the odds of the game being good. The ME series and Bioware in general are things that are expected to have a massive fan base. They stopped playing 2 hour long drunken sets in bars over a decade ago.

I think that GameInformer article stumbles by:
1. Saying "here's the new alien race in Andromeda!" and implying there aren't a half dozen other weird new aliens
2. Showing off a bunch of crazy designs and then saying, "Oh, but actually it is Rock Head Man."

Just do neither of those, show off the final version of the alien, and leave the rest for the art book. Maybe show off those flying bug aliens from the trailer or something.

Two hours into ME1, you could meet elcor, volus, hanar, asari, salarians, turians, quarians, maybe krogan? Oh, and the Keepers. If ME:A has the same depth, it'll be fine, but they keep talking about how you're a human on the human ship going to human world, and also there's a spunky asari sidekick. If it's an exploration game about the unknown, sell people on all the mysterious new stuff they'll find, not on the old stuff from three games ago.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

denimgorilla posted:

Shepard totally proved that humanity is the pinnacle of evolution in the milky way galaxy so it stands to reason that other galaxies would be evolving into a similar form if they want a top dog like Shep.

Ryder will have to fight Rock People Shepard trying to save the Andromeda galaxy from the alien menace.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I think that GameInformer article stumbles by:
1. Saying "here's the new alien race in Andromeda!" and implying there aren't a half dozen other weird new aliens
2. Showing off a bunch of crazy designs and then saying, "Oh, but actually it is Rock Head Man."

Just do neither of those, show off the final version of the alien, and leave the rest for the art book. Maybe show off those flying bug aliens from the trailer or something.

Two hours into ME1, you could meet elcor, volus, hanar, asari, salarians, turians, quarians, maybe krogan? Oh, and the Keepers. If ME:A has the same depth, it'll be fine, but they keep talking about how you're a human on the human ship going to human world, and also there's a spunky asari sidekick. If it's an exploration game about the unknown, sell people on all the mysterious new stuff they'll find, not on the old stuff from three games ago.

Problem is, I think ME:A is like The Force Awakens where a significant fraction of it is basically quelling the terrors of a fanbase who got burnt hard by the previous entry in the series.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Trast posted:

I'm not sure exactly why Bioware is so hung up on everything attracting empathy. They even tried to make the Reapers empathize with their "saving the galaxy through culling" story. In a video game I'm not really concerned with why I should empathize with the giant space horror is trying to eat my family. No I don't care that there has been layoffs at his job he's a giant space horror trying to eat my family. There is no need for the game to shove some sort of emotional conflict into that situation. Here's the monster, here is your assault rifle, go to down dude.

Do you know what "empathy" means?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

At this point I feel most of Mass Effect's appeal comes from the fact that there isn't another mass audience space opera RPG contending with it. I found it so hard to go back to Skyrim after Witcher 3 offered an alternative, but there isn't anything on the same size as Mass Effect that is competing with it.

Sounds like someone hasn't played a little game called Technomancer.

Ok I didn't play it either.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

marktheando posted:

Sounds like someone hasn't played a little game called Technomancer.

Ok I didn't play it either.

I am currently stuck somewhere in the middle of it. As I was with Mars: War Logs. As I was with Bound By Flame.
I don't know exactly what it is that these games are doing wrong. On paper they are more or less exactly like you would imagine a B-movie version of a the Bioware formula. But somehow they're a lot less engaging.
While I could write tirades about how the characters in Bioware games are getting more and more simplistic, formulaic and pandering over releases they're still more interesting than everything Spiders try to conjure.
I guess every iteration of their combat system being terrible doesn't help.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

precision posted:

There's at least three hanar you interact with in me1 I can think of. There's street preacher hanar, there's outreach hanar elsewhere in the citadel, and there's shady smuggler hanar on noveria.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Hedrigall posted:

Nobody should overestimate the minimum amount of anthropomorphism something needs for the internet to want to gently caress it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope that at some point Ryder can bring up the Milky Way galaxy on screen and it keeps flickering between being red, blue, and green.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

precision posted:

I'm not saying that isn't true, I'm just saying who cares as long as it ends up good and that having weirdo races does literally nothing to increase or decrease the odds of the game being good.

Interesting and varied alien designs does increase the odds of it being good. It allows developers to create contrast in combat as everything isn't a generic bipedal humanoid that takes cover and throws grenades.

That's not saying Bioware won't add more non-humanoid species, it's just alarming when the developer talks about empathy/rigging to disguise the lack of effort.

It's why CoD and Battlefield SP feel boring, you're basically on a treadmill shooting 1,000s of lookalikes which are literally the same 1-3 models reused over and over again.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Controversial opinion: new aliens look fine. Can't wait to shoot them in the face with my gun. And then hang out with my one alien friend that proves I'm not racist.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Mymla posted:

Controversial opinion: new aliens look fine. Can't wait to shoot them in the face with my gun. And then hang out with my one alien friend that proves I'm not racist.

:same:

Edit:

"I know those are bone, my Kett best friend said it's alright to say Rock People."

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 17, 2016

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Mymla posted:

Nice.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

People aren't (necessarily) complaining that the Kett look bad, just uninspired. Bioware had a chance to do something really interesting here and, in typical Bioware fashion, hosed it up.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am amazed that there are people who care this much how alien the aliens are in an action sci-fi game. Not, like, mocking-amazed, just vanilla amazed. Aliens in all but the hardest first-contact-type sci-fi are just bad guys to murder or placeholders for 2D stereotypes of a human Other. The moral and ethical decisions that are central to Bioware's game designs would be much closer to meaningless in a world of alien-aliens who share no traits with us. Like, if all the Rachni queen did was gurgle and spit ink, it's not nearly as difficult a decision whether to free her or kill her.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

homullus posted:

I am amazed that there are people who care this much how alien the aliens are in an action sci-fi game. Not, like, mocking-amazed, just vanilla amazed. Aliens in all but the hardest first-contact-type sci-fi are just bad guys to murder or placeholders for 2D stereotypes of a human Other. The moral and ethical decisions that are central to Bioware's game designs would be much closer to meaningless in a world of alien-aliens who share no traits with us. Like, if all the Rachni queen did was gurgle and spit ink, it's not nearly as difficult a decision whether to free her or kill her.

yes but these dudes are extremely uninspired and the video/advertisement brought to you by gameinformer spent a ton of time hyping up how unique and interesting these things would be before backtracking immediately. as someone said why spend a ton of time hyping up their otherworldiness when the final product is by far the most generic poo poo shown in the entire video?

the kett are poo poo jerry

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

homullus posted:

many posters in this thread just can't get off if their aliens aren't incomprehensible and depraved looking as possible.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
more like that video is "watereddownsafechoices.mp4"

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Jeza posted:

many posters in this thread just can't get off if their aliens aren't incomprehensible and depraved looking as possible.

I demand my aliens be horrifying bullet magnets. Unless it is one of the good ones then I want to add it to the crew of SSV Sexual Harassment Bingo Card.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
hottest moment in me series? probably that bit where your secretary girl gets melted into goo. melting into genetic gruel - everything about it

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SgtSteel91 posted:

:same:

Edit:

"I know those are bone, my Kett best friend said it's alright to say Rock People."
The entire kickoff to war in Andromeda is caused by an argument over cultural appropriation because those human-designed Bone Hats are wicked loving awesome and it's like, "what?! you don't own culture".

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 17, 2016

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Jeza posted:

hottest moment in me series? probably that bit where your secretary girl gets melted into goo. melting into genetic gruel - everything about it

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/hot-pot-death-yellowstone-national-park

quote:

A Portland, Oregon man who was hoping to bathe in a hot pool in Yellowstone National Park died and was dissolved when he fell into the park's boiling, acidic Norris Geyser Basin, park officials have disclosed.

No word on whether it gave his sister a snail trail.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm really kind of upset that Mass Effect doesn't include a playable character in a wheelchair. It would add tactical options in combat, like if you wanted to move, you couldn't shoot because you'd be pushing the wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Jeza posted:

nah