Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Cojawfee posted:

I can't believe that Game & Watch games are going to be 60 dollars now.

*checks ebay*

now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Snap had a surprising amount of depth considering not even half of the Gen 1 Pokemon were included in the game. There were a lot of ways to get hidden photo bonuses if you cared to take the time for it. gently caress trying to get Balloon Pikachu though. He was so hard to hit with a Pester Ball.

I'd enjoy seeing a new Snap now that 6 more generations of pokemon have gone by. It's not like they have to make new models either since the ones in Sun/Moon are apparently stupidly high resolution models that have been sized down for 3DS. I don't think we'll get it though; Game Freak seems to have no willingness to make the game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Sometimes I still call my 3ds a Gameboy and I will certainly refer to my Switch as a Nintendo most of the time.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

For real, they need to make a new Puzzle League, ever since they shut down the DS's online I've had no way to crush worthy opponents with my mighty 12-chains

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Arcland posted:

For some reason Game Freak has been rather against Snap. If I remember correctly, they said such a thing wouldn't be successful in todays landscape when people asked for it to come on the wii u.

Even if a game is commercially successful and has demand, it can be difficult for there to be a follow-up if the developer's leadership and staff aren't interested in it. Pokemon Snap wasn't even a Pokemon game when it began development at HAL.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Not a Children posted:

For real, they need to make a new Puzzle League, ever since they shut down the DS's online I've had no way to crush worthy opponents with my mighty 12-chains

To this day I will play Tetris Attack just on a whim. It's the greatest puzzle game ever made and I need a new Puzzle League like you wouldn't believe.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Suspicious Cook posted:

To this day I will play Tetris Attack just on a whim. It's the greatest puzzle game ever made and I need a new Puzzle League like you wouldn't believe.

Isn't a version of this in Animal Crossing now?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The best Tetris game ever made is The New Tetris for the N64, both for the extremely cool music and the ability to turn 8x8 block combinations into bronze or silver cubes that garner you extra points. Easily my favorite puzzle game ever.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really loved DS Tetris.

Wasn't there since crazy Tetris vs Dr Mario game where you could rain viruses into the Tetris screen to gently caress with them and tetronimos into the Dr Mario screen?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
You'd think with all the different gaming companies getting in on that eSports train The Tetris Company would wanna do something as well.

But there will never be a version of Tetris that doesn't have the hold mechanic or infinite rotation again.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Pokémon Snap featured some cool setpiece tourism that Nintendo's done pretty well in Luigi's Mansion as well. Then again those are also two fairly short games released a decade apart.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ubisoft has the Tetris license and can't even properly get a game of loving Tetris to work on PS4 without needing day one patches or without having massive bugs and performance issues.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

You'd think with all the different gaming companies getting in on that eSports train The Tetris Company would wanna do something as well.

But there will never be a version of Tetris that doesn't have the hold mechanic or infinite rotation again.

Tetris the grandmaster and its sequels are pretty hardcore but they will never get released outside of Japan

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Tender Bender posted:

Pokémon Snap featured some cool setpiece tourism that Nintendo's done pretty well in Luigi's Mansion as well. Then again those are also two fairly short games released a decade apart.

Wasn't Luigi's Mansion like 2001 and Snap like 1998? They were released in DIFFERENT decades I guess.

But 12 years later they did make a new Luigi's mansion. They successfully updated the formula, made the game bigger in scope with multiple mansions, added new mechanics, and made it mission based, and it was GREAT! God drat I love Dark Moon so much.

And it made me realize the ultimate Nintendo secret about Mario and Luigi, which I really don't want to spoil.

So they just need to give Pokemon Snap to Next Level Games is what I'm saying.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

when can I preorder this thing cause dang i want it

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dr. VooDoo posted:

when can I preorder this thing cause dang i want it

Probably Jan 12.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

greatn posted:

I really loved DS Tetris.

Wasn't there since crazy Tetris vs Dr Mario game where you could rain viruses into the Tetris screen to gently caress with them and tetronimos into the Dr Mario screen?

Japan only Tetris X Puyo Puyo

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Phone posted:

Japan only Tetris X Puyo Puyo

This is the best Tetris and is also super adorable.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Do not buy just the Switch. Buy the Switch with the games you want.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

greatn posted:

Wasn't Luigi's Mansion like 2001 and Snap like 1998? They were released in DIFFERENT decades I guess.

But 12 years later they did make a new Luigi's mansion. They successfully updated the formula, made the game bigger in scope with multiple mansions, added new mechanics, and made it mission based, and it was GREAT! God drat I love Dark Moon so much.

And it made me realize the ultimate Nintendo secret about Mario and Luigi, which I really don't want to spoil.

Yeah I meant Luigi's Mansion is two games a decade apart :v: I actually never played the original but I quite like Dark Moon! I'd like it a lot more if it didn't kick me out of the level every time I reach a goal though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

greatn posted:

I really wanted to like Dark Moon but the split apart mansions and mission-based nature of it really killed it for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah I meant Luigi's Mansion is two games a decade apart :v: I actually never played the original but I quite like Dark Moon! I'd like it a lot more if it didn't kick me out of the level every time I reach a goal though.

You should play the original then since it's doesn't do that and it's just one big area to explore.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Phantasium posted:

Ubisoft has the Tetris license and can't even properly get a game of loving Tetris to work on PS4 without needing day one patches or without having massive bugs and performance issues.

The quality differences among Ubisoft products really is jarring. One week their Tetris sequel can't run right on a current gen console, the next week they put out Rayman Legends. Their marquee Assassins Creed release runs like Quake on a 486, but hey here's Valiant Hearts! They revitalize Assassin's Creed by actually going somewhere new gameplay-wise with Black Flag, but then they spend the next three years pretending it never happened.

That place must be all kinds of chaos on the inside.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

original luigi's mansion is so good, except the ice room ghost who is extremely hard to gold frame

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

greatn posted:

I thought they ruined Dark Moon with Egad never shutting the gently caress up and constantly bugging you on Fi levels, adding cutscenes and segmenting the game into missions. One of the few Nintendo games I never bothered to finish with the others being Yoshi's New Island and Star Fox Zero, both trash titles.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I love Egad personally, I guess my personality was not in tube with Luigi's, where at the end of the level in not like "Oh just let me go a little farther!" I'm more like "Thank gently caress get me the hell out of here you crazy old man! This place is filled with loving GHOSTS!"

It really lends itself well to a portable game you play for about a half hour at a time.

Also I'm pretty sure you can skip any cutscene or Egad call you want with the start button by pressing it twice, even ones you haven't seen yet.

Finally, and I've alluded to this before but now I'm going to flat out say it, I have come to the firm belief that Professor E. Gadd is at the very least Luigi's biological father, and very likely Mario's as well.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Spoilers: E. Gadd is Old Mario

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

greatn posted:

I've always loved Luigi's Mansion and I bought Dark Moon for my 3ds like last month. It's so good and it makes me feel like I'm 14 again.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Not a Children posted:

Pokemon Snap with gyro controls

Do I dare to dream

The first and final good use for gyro controls

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

greatn posted:

I love Egad personally, I guess my personality was not in tube with Luigi's, where at the end of the level in not like "Oh just let me go a little farther!" I'm more like "Thank gently caress get me the hell out of here you crazy old man! This place is filled with loving GHOSTS!"

It really lends itself well to a portable game you play for about a half hour at a time.

The thing that I hate is that multiple times I've gotten a key item or something and had to listen to Egad tell me I got the key, then teleport me out of the mission, then show me my score screen, then talk to me about the key I just got, then teleport me back to the mansion entrance, and then I walk back to where I got the key.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

dark moon would be so much better if it wasn't divided into missions. also if the boss battles were good, at all

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i still liked it though because its very cute otherwise

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Finns strike again! :finland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvmM6ihpnbw

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

sharrrk posted:

dark moon would be so much better if it wasn't divided into missions. also if the boss battles were good, at all

The first boss battle was great. Shame the rest kinda sucked.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

greatn posted:

It's going to be Pokémon Classy diamond and elegant pearl

but diamond and pearl were bad, trust me, i played red silver and pearl i should know

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

The quality differences among Ubisoft products really is jarring. One week their Tetris sequel can't run right on a current gen console, the next week they put out Rayman Legends. Their marquee Assassins Creed release runs like Quake on a 486, but hey here's Valiant Hearts! They revitalize Assassin's Creed by actually going somewhere new gameplay-wise with Black Flag, but then they spend the next three years pretending it never happened.

That place must be all kinds of chaos on the inside.

please name another ubiart game as an example of "Half or more of the time they can make a functioning engine!"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag: An Ubiart game

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

zolthorg posted:

please name another ubiart game as an example of "Half or more of the time they can make a functioning engine!"

Far Cry _____

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The augmented reality Pokemon game for Android could have been AR Pokemon Snap, instead we got a Pokemon game with no gameplay. In the Switch game, you'll look for Pokemon in the wild and then have to just watch them watch TV or something instead of being able to photograph them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Rocket Puzzle League.
Meteos?

• Locked thread