Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

kastein posted:

I know right?

To avoid derailing AISS, yeah we got eloped a little over a month ago, and then didn't really tell anyone for a few weeks :v:

Congrats dude :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

CommieGIR posted:

They are also soldering the drive to the board in the new Macbook Pro.

:stonk:

I'd hope that would make a lot of Mac users question their life choices, but then again, most probably won't even notice.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

QuarkMartial posted:

For about three years I did parts delivery for Advance. I also worked the counters, too, but what I really enjoyed about it was delivering parts. At the worst, it was take the ticket from the printer, get everything, double check with the commercial parts pro / manager that the shop wanted the parts right then, grab stuff for other shops nearby, then go. Drove a company vehicle and everything. Got out, unloaded, they signed, maybe took back some returns, and that was it. Ran into very little poo poo, too, unless a shop was pissy about something.

Frankly, knowing a little about cars and how to work the computer to bill people out paid off in the times when there were no deliveries and kept my hours up. I'm considering going back to it in the summer when I'm not teaching for some extra cash.

This is a temp to hire job that's strictly driving/delivery. There was a hint it would be auto parts, and they confirmed it would be a company-provided vehicle that didn't require a CDL. They didn't ask about box truck experience, so I'm assuming it's either a pickup or a very small box truck.

They said it was right on the border of the city I'm in and the next city, off of <x road>... basically described exactly where I live, I can see that road from my porch and I'm walking distance from the next city. A quick google check shows the only parts stores nearby are O'Reilly's and Advance, but I thought they hired internally? There's a body shop down the road as well that was a pain in the rear end to deal with when I tried to get my car fixed this summer, makes me wonder if it's related. I don't know of any junkyards nearby, and the body shop isn't right on the border.

I haven't been officially offered the delivery job yet; they wanted me to redo my resume a bit and put a lot more emphasis on my shipping/receiving and delivery experience, plus list my experience with pallet jacks and forklifts, but thought they'd be able to get me into it. They also wanted me to put my warehouse experience on, but I reminded them that my one actual warehouse job (UPS) was seasonal and didn't think it would be a good idea to list a 2 month job, they agreed. My experience with forklifts (walk behind) and pallet jacks (electric) is actually from Whole Foods and Walmart. But I'm officially a (W2) employee of the employment agency, at least. I'm just waiting to be offered an assignment at this point.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 17, 2016

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Everything is soldered to the board. There is 0 upgrade ability. A co-worker and I were talking about this today and the purpose of a "pro" system is that it is customizable to what the end user wants to do. With everything soldered to the W shaped motherboard, it defeats the very definition of the word pro.

Edit:

here's the ifixit teardown: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Touch+Bar+Teardown/73480

keykey fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 17, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On the Apple book: If they can convince morons to pay that much for a book of products, why the gently caress not?

On the un-upgradeable MBP: I'm sure they figured out that the people they care about most - the ones who buy the laptops new - don't often upgrade them. Sucks, but really no surprise that the last vestige of Woz have been driven out of the company.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

keykey posted:

Everything is soldered to the board. There is 0 upgrade ability. A co-worker and I were talking about this today and the purpose of a "pro" system is that it is customizable to what the end user wants to do. With everything soldered to the W shaped motherboard, it defeats the very definition of the word pro.

Edit:

here's the ifixit teardown: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Touch+Bar+Teardown/73480

That's your definition of a pro computer. This new one is selling like hot cakes so apparently people like it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

This is a temp to hire job that's strictly driving/delivery. There was a hint it would be auto parts, and they confirmed it would be a company-provided vehicle that didn't require a CDL. They didn't ask about box truck experience, so I'm assuming it's either a pickup or a very small box truck.

They said it was right on the border of the city I'm in and the next city, off of <x road>... basically described exactly where I live, I can see that road from my porch and I'm walking distance from the next city. A quick google check shows the only parts stores nearby are O'Reilly's and Advance, but I thought they hired internally? There's a body shop down the road as well that was a pain in the rear end to deal with when I tried to get my car fixed this summer, makes me wonder if it's related. I don't know of any junkyards nearby, and the body shop isn't right on the border.

I haven't been officially offered the delivery job yet; they wanted me to redo my resume a bit and put a lot more emphasis on my shipping/receiving and delivery experience, plus list my experience with pallet jacks and forklifts, but thought they'd be able to get me into it. They also wanted me to put my warehouse experience on, but I reminded them that my one actual warehouse job (UPS) was seasonal and didn't think it would be a good idea to list a 2 month job, they agreed. My experience with forklifts (walk behind) and pallet jacks (electric) is actually from Whole Foods and Walmart. But I'm officially a (W2) employee of the employment agency, at least. I'm just waiting to be offered an assignment at this point.

Generally, yes, from what I've seen, oreillys does their own hiring. And given that being a delivery driver for oreillys requires a piss test at an approved facility, background check and driving record check (that is constantly updated for any changes that would make you uneligible), I don't think they are going to do temp workers in that position. Are there any new car dealerships with dedicated parts departments in the area? Many do deliveries to shops and parts stores as well in my area. Usually with a much wider radius than a regular parts store.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 17, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

:drat: Great stuff on Facebook this morning, Terrist!

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Good news: Project Binky update.

https://twitter.com/badobsessionmsp/status/799012983972052993

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

slurry_curry posted:

Have you ever done any tile work? If the answer is no, I would not attempt it. I have never done it by myself, but helped do a bunch of showers back when I did construction. It is not easy or fun and really easy to gently caress up. I was working with Journeyman tile guys, and even then we had to rip out and start over a couple times cause something went wrong.

We did a tile backsplash in the kitchen, and that's the most complicated I'd ever want to get. Was kind of a pain in the rear end. Didn't help that we had to tile over 2 layers of old glue/thinset, (previous owners put formica over old tile thinset in the 70's) it was super uneven so I had to put up new drywall first.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Got Dishonored 2. Bye life.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Biodome posted:

That's your definition of a pro computer. This new one is selling like hot cakes so apparently people like it.

I imagine it's selling as quickly as a vanity project of a book about how great their products are for $300.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

I imagine it's selling as quickly as a vanity project of a book about how great their products are for $300.

To be fair: I imagine some people will buy the book, especially Graphic Designers and the like, because many do view Apple's products as 'Works of Art'. In the same way that those horrible wrenches in the Horrible Mechanical Failure thread are 'Art'

Disgusting to be sure.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

To be fair: I imagine some people will buy the book, especially Graphic Designers and the like, because many do view Apple's products as 'Works of Art'. In the same way that those horrible wrenches in the Horrible Mechanical Failure thread are 'Art'

Disgusting to be sure.

you really should see a doctor about that aching butt

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

This stupid cartoon is loving trash and ppl post it all the time with smug loving faces it does my nut in

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

fridge corn posted:

This stupid cartoon is loving trash and ppl post it all the time with smug loving faces it does my nut in

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/582/861/e26.jpg

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

.....what the gently caress dude.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Apple's macOS is the best OS and if I have to deal with some garbo hardware for a cycle or two in order to experience the majesty of the ultimate operating system then that's fine by me

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"Hey guys don't buy the new BMW they started welding the heads to the block!"

"LOL commoner trash who can't appreciate Artistic Engineering git mad lol rekt skrub"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Enourmo posted:

"Hey guys don't buy the new BMW they started welding the heads to the block!"

"LOL commoner trash who can't appreciate Artistic Engineering git mad lol rekt skrub"

Hmm yes a $70,000 luxury car is very similar in comparison to a $1299 fancy computer

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Apple's macOS is the best OS and if I have to deal with some garbo hardware for a cycle or two in order to experience the majesty of the ultimate operating system then that's fine by me

:shrug: Whatever. Dell Precision is 10x better and you can just use Ubuntu/Red Hat and get the same results as OSX. But whatever floats your boat. I hate disposable products. And soldering the SSD, CPU, and RAM to the board makes it disposable. Which really kinda irks me. This is kind of like when you guys give me poo poo for not liking V8s which can make power cheaper and are more readily available.

I thought we were talking about a $300 book of Apple Products, not the laptop.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 17, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The $300 book is the equivalent to an overpriced Las Vegas hooker giving a bad blow job but you still have to brag to your friends that you had the best beej when you were in Vegas to mentally justify spending that much money on something that would normally cost way less

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Hmm yes a $70,000 luxury car is very similar in comparison to a $1299 fancy computer

Actually yes it's very relevant now because in the vast majority of cases there are equal products (if you can deal without Mac OS) at similar or lower price points and they're both largely coasting on reputation despite being incredibly expensive/impossible to fix. The cheapest Mac Pro worth a poo poo is ~2k so lol there.

Apple has realized that everything is consumer poo poo until it's not but they're still charging like all of their stuff is SCSI when everyone else is rocking IDE. Mac's display driver stack is poo poo and they apparently don't do consistent battery life in the new things. There is nothing wrong with the 2014's form factor but hey it's gotta be thinner. Instead of going "we shaved a mm off and shoved an awesome battery in there" there is a now totally pointless quest for thinness because reasons?!? Also BUY ACCESSORIES YOU SLUTS.

Apple has been making GBS threads on the pro/prosumer crowd for ~5+ years now and I think nothing would make them happier to only make iOS products so they can be an almost entirely vertical company.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The SSDs have always been soldered onto the mobo and if you take it to the Apple Store they're very easy for the geniuses to fix and also very cheap

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The SSDs have always been soldered onto the mobo and if you take it to the Apple Store they're very easy for the geniuses to fix and also very cheap

That's not true. Previous revision of Macbook Pro used AirPort mSATA. Only the Air had a soldered SSD. Nope, I lied. Air has a removable AirPort Slot mSATA SSD as well.

And seriously, also not true, because it was easy to replace because it was NOT soldered to the board. If it was soldered to the board, it would necessitate replacing the ENTIRE logic board. Multiple screws and a lot of dissassembly versus removing a panel and removing a single screw to slip the SSD out.

What you are saying is: You want a laptop that is not upgrade-able. At all. So if a single component fails (RAM, CPU, Hard Disk) that's the end, unless you keep renewing your Apple warrenty, you're hosed if it fails, and have zero recourse. Thats like buying a car that has everything welded together and hoping that it'll never break anything at all.

Also: New logic board can be $400-$1000. A New AirPort mSATA SSD of your choosing is less than $100. Fun story: A couple years back, the mainboard for my Precision failed. Dell sold me a brand new OEM one for $150. Because you re-use the CPU, GPU, RAM, Hard Disks, everything. So cost of replacement is far lower because the major cost components are not directly on the board. They also give you the instruction on how to replace the board and teardown the machine on their site. And if you don't want to, you can have a Dell tech do it for about $100.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 17, 2016

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The $300 book is the equivalent to an overpriced Las Vegas hooker giving a bad blow job but you still have to brag to your friends that you had the best beej when you were in Vegas to mentally justify spending that much money on something that would normally cost way less

You spend money on bj's? Those are the pity party of loving. Poor guy.. :(

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don't like my current laptop but I also don't let it consume my life or obsess over other laptops I don't own that I don't like.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't like my current laptop but I also don't let it consume my life or obsess over other laptops I don't own that I don't like.

Yeah man that's the best way to live

Why get bent out of shape about a computer you will never buy anyways lol

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Yeah man that's the best way to live

Why get bent out of shape about a computer you will never buy anyways lol

or a book of photography? idgi

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Thats like buying a car that has everything welded together and hoping that it'll never break anything at all.

I mean, if they could get away with it, this is pretty much what they'd all do.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, if they could get away with it, this is pretty much what they'd all do.

The only thing holding them back is their marketing department.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The electric motor, inverter and trans in the tesla is only ever replaced as a single "drive unit", and once they start getting out of warranty, it'll be a $15k hit and you know tesla will be the only place to buy and install it, and they'll refuse to install it and blacklist the vin from buying parts if the rest of the car doesn't satisfy their inspection, meaning the owner doesn't submit to the 4 figure service.

And the drive units do fail, a lot. Edmunds went through 4 by the time they sold theirs. By 2021 there will be teslas on the road on their 4th

Tesla has also been extremely clear about emulating the Apple model, end to end control. Handing the new sale of the car, used sales, service, and repair. I would imagine there's some overlap in customer base as well.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

keykey posted:

You spend money on bj's? Those are the pity party of loving. Poor guy.. :(

It's the only way you can be sure they'll swallow

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CommieGIR posted:

Are they? The 13" without touchbar had a removable SSD, albeit a new and different form factor.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Touch+Bar+Teardown/73480

Oh, for gently caress's sake.
This is not a "Pro". This is a loving AIR, you bloody idiots. A Pro would be powerful, repairable, and upgradeable, not just "thin" as it's defining feature.
Well, easy for me to support, I guess? "Oh, it broke - buy a new one."

Fermented Tinal posted:

:stonk:

I'd hope that would make a lot of Mac users question their life choices, but then again, most probably won't even notice.

Realistically, most consumers will never upgrade or repair anything. They replace. that's why I say it's a lovely MacBook Air, but it shouldn't have been a Pro.

e: f,b:

keykey posted:

Edit:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AZ / Socal folks: this looks like fun.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm rocking a 2012 MacBook Pro,because I'm a dirty poor (-ish), but I my job is to support Macs, so, yeah, I'm going to complain when Apple does dumb poo poo to stuff I have to deal with.
At least I don't have to touch iPhones/Pads/iOS in any way.

Re: my stupid disintegrating rearview mirror:

There. I fixed it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This made me :lol: as a response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Ah man that looks fun as hell. Stupid Midwest...

• Locked thread