Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

craig588 posted:

Uninstall Geforce Experience. No log ins, no nags, less broken games, better performance, wins all around. You lose...update nags and in home game streaming.

The log in part is a little ridiculous, but not a game changer, if you ask me. The Geforce optimization stuff has seemed to improve over time, but its been a while, probably over 5 years, since I've tried to optimize any setting myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dali Parton posted:

Hey so is there a way to get out of NVIDIA driver software bloat? In addition to logging in to download drivers (???), i'm getting nagged about driver updates nearly weekly because this or that AAA game came out.Is it reasonable/possible to download drivers only from their website and avoid all this weird stuff?

I feel like some sorta idiot grandpa asking this, but its really odd going through this for the sake of drivers.

Yeah, just uninstall Geforce Experience, download the driver installer and uncheck the install option for Geforce Experience when installing new driver versions.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dali Parton posted:

After a substantial time has passed, can I download just the driver on the NVIDIA site, or does it come bundled with that software that ill have to uninstall again? Back when I was with ATI, they gave you an option to download the driver with no extra software or goodies.

Easy answer - always pick Custom, uncheck everything except the video driver, click Next.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Don Lapre posted:

Just uninstall geforce experience.

Whoa what, I didn't even know this was an option, haha. I always thought Geforce Experience was their new thing and required for driver updates. Didn't realize I could just go the old route of only installing drivers. :downs:

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 17, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

teagone posted:

Whoa what, I didn't even know this was an option, haha. I always thought Geforce Experience was their new thing and required for driver updates. Didn't realize I could just go the old route of only installing drivers.

:crossarms: You didn't know you could uninstall a program?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

teagone posted:

Whoa what, I didn't even know this was an option, haha. I always thought Geforce Experience was their new thing and required for driver updates. Didn't realize I could just go the old route of only installing drivers. :downs:

It's a touch more involved, and ideally you'd use Display Driver Uninstaller to clear off all traces of the former driver in Safe Mode and reload from scratch.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

If his train of thought was like mine, it was being unsure if uninstalling GF Experience would bork the drivers somehow.

I've dealt with incredibly crappy software before and I could see NVIDIA pulling that because, what are you gonna do?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Chiming in to say Geforce Experience is thew worst thing ever and prevented me from launching games until I shut it off. I ended up having to use DDU for a completely clean install since, for some reason, I was not able to uninstall Geforce Experience normally.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Someone had their EVGA 1070 catch fire live on stream. Watch the case window to the left.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BurritoJustice posted:

Someone had their EVGA 1070 catch fire live on stream. Watch the case window to the left.

WHOA how the gently caress

i thought they only blew up like that from running furmark not from normal gameplay...

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 17, 2016

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pretty cool that it stayed alive long enough to record its own death

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

pretty cool that it stayed alive long enough to record its own death

I think he's using a secondary source to record.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Geforce experience is fine and I've never had a problem with it. I find the regular driver updates very convenient. And I gotta questions who really gives a poo poo about the email thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, people building a new system with a 500GB+ Samsung SSD and the entire 10x0 range (only 1070 and 1080 for mobile) will get another Watch Dogs 2 code: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-will-bundle-watch-dogs-2-with-series-10-graphics-cards.html

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I was convinced that Geforce Experience was integrated with the display driver after I got my 970, and up until now thought it was a required install. I had been with ATI/AMD for a good long while before I switched back to team green with the GTX 970, so in my defense, I didn't know any better. The last nvidia card I had before the 970 was a Leadtek GeForce Ti 4400, haha. There was no Geforce Experience then, so I figured it was the new driver software I had to install to get my card up and running.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, people building a new system with a 500GB+ Samsung SSD and the entire 10x0 range (only 1070 and 1080 for mobile) will get another Watch Dogs 2 code: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-will-bundle-watch-dogs-2-with-series-10-graphics-cards.html

thats good its not bundled with lower specced systems because ubisoft console ports are dumpster fires.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-founders-edition-geforce-gtx-1080-8gb-gddr5x-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card/5330700.p?skuId=5330700

$449 GTX1080. Probably supposed to say 1070 but you can probably get them to honor it. Stores open in 15 minutes on the east coast.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

BurritoJustice posted:

Oh cool. Hope that never happens to mine. Guess I should get off my rear end and install that vbios update that messes with the fan curve and order the thermal pads.

Don Lapre posted:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-founders-edition-geforce-gtx-1080-8gb-gddr5x-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card/5330700.p?skuId=5330700

$449 GTX1080. Probably supposed to say 1070 but you can probably get them to honor it. Stores open in 15 minutes on the east coast.

The SKU # is for the 1070 founder's edition so it will probably ship you a 1070 founder's edition if you order it online so that's a thing. Looks like they just messed up entering in the description. Model # is for the 1080 though so who knows.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 17, 2016

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
The graphic is even the 1070. I wonder if you'd actually have better luck price-matching it at a different store where the'd be less likely to notice the SKU difference.

e; from some other threads that have popped up about it, if you managed to get one ordered with in-store pickup you might be able to get them to honor it. If you order it for delivery the general consensus is you're probably going to end up with a 1070 because that's what the SKU is for.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 17, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

DrDork posted:

The graphic is even the 1070. I wonder if you'd actually have better luck price-matching it at a different store where the'd be less likely to notice the SKU difference.

e; from some other threads that have popped up about it, if you managed to get one ordered with in-store pickup you might be able to get them to honor it. If you order it for delivery the general consensus is you're probably going to end up with a 1070 because that's what the SKU is for.

Looks like a good number of people got 1080's in the store but page is taken down now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

teagone posted:

I was convinced that Geforce Experience was integrated with the display driver after I got my 970, and up until now thought it was a required install. I had been with ATI/AMD for a good long while before I switched back to team green with the GTX 970, so in my defense, I didn't know any better. The last nvidia card I had before the 970 was a Leadtek GeForce Ti 4400, haha. There was no Geforce Experience then, so I figured it was the new driver software I had to install to get my card up and running.

Bingo. My experience exactly. My last card was an ATI (which I hated the drivers for). I figured NVIDIA wanted to match ATI with bloat, but at least the former would have stable drivers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Just got back from trying my luck with the 1080 at Best Buy, unfortunately they wouldn't do it. The manager agreed it was the same model number and part listed, but since the SKU doesn't match he wouldn't do it and I'm not the type to throw a fit over it and try to get them to give in.

Too bad it's the nVidia-branded version in the goofy listing, a lot of other stores near me have ODM Founders Edition cards but no one else seems to stock the nVidia ones so they won't match.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
My Step Up 1070 is ready. At this point I'm wondering if this is a good idea anymore, I think the 980 Ti is holding more resale value right noe and people probably won't want used EVGA 1070s after the whole fire thing. :shepicide:

On the other hand I did get one of those 1080s. I ordered two. They pulled out a 1070, I pointed out the order was for a 1080, the cashier called his manager who poked around for 15 minutes and determined that the BB eBay store had hosed up the SKU (shocker) and he cancelled the orders and gave me a price match. They only had one in store but he offered to order another to my house. I declined because I don't really want FOUR gpus on my CC until it all shakes out. He apologised and said he'd order it later too if I wanted, which I'm thinking about. I could swing the money but I'd probably want to sell some older toys.

So... Do I want SLI 1080s? I'm 1440p/144Hz, mostly MGSV, Titanfall 2, Witcher 3, and FO4 at this point. Maybe The Division sometimes, or I might buy the new BF1. I mostly think those don't work with SLI, right? I will probably be mostly OK with just one 1080 but I did just get my first taste of DSR and holy gently caress is that nice.

I will still need a card for my Vive PC eventually but right now I'm not using it much and I had a line to sell the 780 Ti that's in that PC. Maybe just use the iGPU since it's just playing Netflix right now, sell the 980 Ti and 780 Ti and forget the step up, then do SLI 1080 for now?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 17, 2016

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
This is absolutely not the thread to come to if you're expecting anyone to tell you to subsist on "only" a single 1080 when you could easily have two.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
By the way, I haven't had time to keep track of the issue but why are multiple EVGA 1070s flaming out all of a sudden after months of working just fine? Are people doing something stupid or what? The thing about the VRMs overheating from FurMark doesn't bug me, but mystery fires kinda do. I just don't get if its such an issue why it didn't show up 6 months ago? Did it just take some time for the component to finally fail catastrophically?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 17, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

By the way, I haven't had time to keep track of the issue but why are multiple EVGA 1070s flaming out all of a sudden after months of working just fine? Are people doing something stupid or what? The thing about the VRMs overheating from FurMark doesn't bug me, but mystery fires kinda do. I just don't get if its such an issue why it didn't show up 6 months ago? Did it just take some time for the component to finally fail catastrophically?

I dont think its happened THAT many times. The fires are the cards dying, its not a sustained fire or anything, just a flash.

If you have a ACX3.0 card just get the thermal pads for free and install them and that does most of the work. If you want you can also flash the new vbios which will raise the fan curve.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Considering that (1) as you say, things have been fine for months, (2) even without adjustments the VRMs are technically within spec, and (3) no one was noticing concerningly high VRM temps without basically asking for it (FurMark, etc), my bet is basically intentional sabotage to the cards to make for some nice video hits for the ones where it actually starts a fire vs just a pop and some smoke and that's it.

I mean, with the VRM "scandal" going on you can bet that they're probably going to be able to RMA them without too much issue and maybe even get something else out of EVGA as an apology (bump up to a 1080?), and they get a bunch of traffic to their lovely YouTube channels as a bonus.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Col.Kiwi posted:

It's easy enough to miss but it actually says they turned it off. " In the interest of neutrality, we ran the game with HairWorks disabled." On the page I linked.

The 4GB question is a good one, really I guess nobody knows for sure. I personally feel like a GPU like that just isn't going to be powerful enough to ever actually take real advantage of more than 4GB and I would judge it largely by the benchmarks for games that are available now. Seems like it is mostly just the really eye candy heavy games where you'd have to turn settings down so if you don't mind the idea of turning down settings on more new games as time goes on, I think it's a reasonable choice.

edit: just noticed in the video you linked that most settings are set to high rather than ultra, not even down to medium or anything. The review I linked said they use max settings other than where specified (ie they specified hairworks off.) Goes to show games like that can still look awfully nice on not-maximum settings

So is the conclusion basically 1050Ti/used 1060?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I'm not too upset by this evga issue, I for one can't wait for next generation cooler that is way overkill as a knee jerk reaction.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Hahaha I just knew it wasn't the end of "VRMgate" not by a long shot.

So did this guy that had his card flame out on twitch have the thermal pads and/or vbios update installed?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 18, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

wolrah posted:

Just got back from trying my luck with the 1080 at Best Buy, unfortunately they wouldn't do it. The manager agreed it was the same model number and part listed, but since the SKU doesn't match he wouldn't do it and I'm not the type to throw a fit over it and try to get them to give in.

Too bad it's the nVidia-branded version in the goofy listing, a lot of other stores near me have ODM Founders Edition cards but no one else seems to stock the nVidia ones so they won't match.

The MPN did match however, and that sealed the deal as far as my manager was concerned (I ordered through the eBay storefront). But apparently I had Good Guy Manager because he did not give me any trouble with it at all.

Apparently they also had a duplicate listing on the BB storefront, so for a while they had the same card listed for both $450 and $700. Same thing, MPN matched a 1080 but the SKU on the $450 card was for a 1070.

From what people on Reddit were saying, the internet absolutely decimated east coast stores within hours of opening. Some managers didn't honor it but a bunch did. Probably sold more 1080s this morning than the rest of the year combined, and apparently store cost was something like $575 or $600. Oops.

Corporate apparently figured it by no later than 1 PM EST and put out an alert ordering stores not to honor it. Suck it, all you west coasters. So I'm guessing Good Guy Manager won't order me a card, probably have to live with one for now. Or maybe ordering from Jet or something, the low-end MSI Armor cards are down to $535 or so. Dang it, an exact pair would have been nice but I guess I have other things to waste money on too. Microcenter has some real nice deals on Skylake right now and I want to build a decent mITX PC that I can do dev work on.

Also, let us take a moment to appreciate this post in all its glory.

quote:

hungry_human 6 points 11 hours ago

Went in.Went straight to pickup.Made small talk.Go for online order.Girl seems super chill.She pulls out a GTX 1070, I say in my best apathetic Valley Girl voice(think Daria),"that's a 1070".She responds with a similar tone,makes a call and the warehouse brings me out a 1080 and mentions that they must be on sale because "they never sell any of these things".Walk around a bit,say hi...ask if they have anymore, and no more Founders.I decide I've had a good day and look at all the 1070's in back for pickup on the way out thinking about their day probably not going as well.Thank myself for being able to wake up early for something that isn't McDonald's breakfast ONE TIME out of the year and leave to make this post.Then realize mid-type after looking at two empty hashbrown wrappers that the reason I was up early is because Mom doesn't know how to put gas in her new car and told me she'd buy me McDonald's breakfast if I did it for her.Wow.Thank you McDonald's.Thank you.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 18, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What am I even reading

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

This man will be able to render his tendies with such stunning fidelity, we will have no choice but to wail out.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whoops, posted this in IRC before I left for work and figured someone would have pasted it here too. Here's the hotfix driver if you have a non reference clock speed Nvidia card http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4260 clocks back to full speed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Installed my PNY GTX 1060 6GB today. It's lovely. Question though! Aren't all the cooling fans on 1060 AIBs not suppose to spin while idle? Right now its idling at around 40C, but the fans are still spinning albeit only at like 800RPM (roughly 25% of max). I thought the fans aren't suppose to kick in until temps reach like 60C under load?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its going to turn on at whatever the fan curve specifies in the bios it shipped with.
Some brands and cards especially blower types have a hard minimum speed you cant change without new bios
You can probably set your own fan curve with something like afterburner

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ahh ok, will try to set a custom fan curve. Thanks!

[edit] Seems as if I can't set the fan speed to go below 25%, despite setting the curve down to 0 and to start ramping up at 60C... Read online that my particular video card is suppose to have the fans drop to 0% when idle :( Gonna try and reinstall the device drivers and software and see if that makes a difference.

Oh, nevermind! Just found this table: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4tqwax/aftermarket_gtx_1060_comparison_table_lets/

and it shows that the PNY GTX 1060 doesn't have fanless mode. No biggie. But at least I know for sure now :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 19, 2016

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Has anyone received their EVGA thermal pads yet? How long did they take to arrive? I think I put my request in about a month ago, but then again it could just be because :australia:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Aesculus posted:

Has anyone received their EVGA thermal pads yet? How long did they take to arrive? I think I put my request in about a month ago, but then again it could just be because :australia:

In the US, took about a week from California shipped US mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
What's this deal with EVGA, VRMgate and cards catching on fire? Does it concern the 1080? I'm currently on the market for one...