Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?

Chairman Capone posted:

...maybe it's just a current rumor drought.

It does seem like a rumor drought. Is it just me, or are the powers that be running a much tighter ship this time around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Catalyst is out on Audible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

I hear you... I used to listen to them a lot. I remember a few months ago they had an entire episode about how the Star Wars fandom needs to be more inclusive, and a big chunk of it was them getting angry and yelling at the people who don't like the prequels. And then the next episode the host had an apology for it and then the majority of the apology was again him getting angry at people for not liking the prequels.

I haven't listened to either of those episodes but I can sort of imagine how they must go.

It is a shame because on the one hand, I appreciate how earnestly they enjoy Star Wars and how it clearly means a lot to them, but on the other, I sort of want them to have someone like Simon Pegg on for a chat. :troll:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Catalyst is out on Audible.

I've heard a lot of mixed things about Catalyst so far, but the ones I trust most seem to say it's not that good. Which makes me sad.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't listened to either of those episodes but I can sort of imagine how they must go.

It is a shame because on the one hand, I appreciate how earnestly they enjoy Star Wars and how it clearly means a lot to them, but on the other, I sort of want them to have someone like Simon Pegg on for a chat. :troll:

I think part of it is that all three of the hosts of Full of Sith work for Lucasfilm in some capacity, writing for Insider and the official site and hosting panels at the Celebration conventions, so given that I doubt they're inclined to be open to any sort of criticism of Star Wars as I'd imagine that would close their Lucasfilm doors pretty fast.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

I've heard a lot of mixed things about Catalyst so far, but the ones I trust most seem to say it's not that good. Which makes me sad.

The USPS just handed me my Amazon copy; I'll get started on it very soon and report back.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Timeline info: Jyn was born after the start of the Clone Wars, making her at most 22 in Rogue One.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

I think part of it is that all three of the hosts of Full of Sith work for Lucasfilm in some capacity, writing for Insider and the official site and hosting panels at the Celebration conventions, so given that I doubt they're inclined to be open to any sort of criticism of Star Wars as I'd imagine that would close their Lucasfilm doors pretty fast.

All three of them? I know Bryan and Amy do but I didn't know Mike does. I thought he was just an old hand at podcasting (didn't he have one of the earliest really successful podcast back when they started getting popular or something like that?) who was friends with them and happened to be a big Star Wars fan?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

All three of them? I know Bryan and Amy do but I didn't know Mike does. I thought he was just an old hand at podcasting (didn't he have one of the earliest really successful podcast back when they started getting popular or something like that?) who was friends with them and happened to be a big Star Wars fan?

Huh, I guess you're right... for some reason I thought he was involved also, but a brief Google search proves me wrong.

That being said, of the three hosts, Bryan Young is actually my favorite, he's the one who has the most critical insight and wide-ranging approach. On the other end, Amy Ratcliffe is fairly worthless, there are several times where it seemed like she has no knowledge of literature or film outside of modern sci-fi or comic movies and was the most knee-jerk defensive of anything Star Wars related.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm about an hour in and it hasn't quite picked up for me yet. I have hope because it's Luceno, but could be wrong. It would really suck if it's not good because we otherwise don't have anything coming out for months afterwards.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

because we otherwise don't have anything coming out for months afterwards.

I looked up the upcoming novel list on Wookieepedia, and boy, you aren't kidding. The actual Rogue One novelization in January, Aftermath 3 in February, Thrawn in April, and that's it.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
drat, that's slim pickings. Just give me Lost Stars 2 so i can read that a hundred times.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

On the other end, Amy Ratcliffe is fairly worthless, there are several times where it seemed like she has no knowledge of literature or film outside of modern sci-fi or comic movies and was the most knee-jerk defensive of anything Star Wars related.

Any examples that occur to you? I admit I've never gotten much of an impression like that from her but Bryan definitely tends to dominate discussions (because, as you note, he's clearly put the most thought in and has the most to say).

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I finished Catalyst, it was really boring. It's a shame because I like all of Luceno's past Star Wars stuff. It just reads like 300 pages of backstory dump where nothing actually happens in the end. I get that it's a lead-in to the movie, but I remember Luceno's other movie lead-in novels being a lot more engaging.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A lot of you seem to forget that it took half of Labyrinth of Evil to get through the episode 3 exposition dump and actually get to the interesting part of the story.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Any examples that occur to you? I admit I've never gotten much of an impression like that from her but Bryan definitely tends to dominate discussions (because, as you note, he's clearly put the most thought in and has the most to say).

The things that come to mind off the top of my head are that she didn't know about The Seventh Seal when Max von Sydow's casting was being discussed; when Lawrence Kasdan was being discussed, she didn't know any of his work beyond his Lucasfilm stuff; related to one of Kasdan's movies, they were talking about some well known actor, and her only context was the role he played in a Marvel movie; and there was an episode where Bryan was talking about Maureen Murdock's concept of the "Heroine's Journey" and how Rey might fit into it, and she just angrily shut him down because she took it to be that it's some inferior domesticated version of the Campbell's Hero's Journey and wouldn't listen to him trying to explain how that's not what it is. Plus, she's broke down crying multiple times on the show at the thought of Ahsoka dying, and that just made me roll my eyes.

I feel kind of like a fedora-wearing MRA for putting down the only female member of that podcast's team so I'll add that there are plenty of male Star Wars fans who I know fit those exact same complaints. Also, I liked when they occasionally had on one of the women from Stuff You Missed in History as a guest (and her and Bryan's Fauxthentic History podcast is fun for what it is).

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Chairman Capone posted:

The things that come to mind off the top of my head are that she didn't know about The Seventh Seal when Max von Sydow's casting was being discussed; when Lawrence Kasdan was being discussed, she didn't know any of his work beyond his Lucasfilm stuff; related to one of Kasdan's movies, they were talking about some well known actor, and her only context was the role he played in a Marvel movie; and there was an episode where Bryan was talking about Maureen Murdock's concept of the "Heroine's Journey" and how Rey might fit into it, and she just angrily shut him down because she took it to be that it's some inferior domesticated version of the Campbell's Hero's Journey and wouldn't listen to him trying to explain how that's not what it is. Plus, she's broke down crying multiple times on the show at the thought of Ahsoka dying, and that just made me roll my eyes.

I feel kind of like a fedora-wearing MRA for putting down the only female member of that podcast's team so I'll add that there are plenty of male Star Wars fans who I know fit those exact same complaints. Also, I liked when they occasionally had on one of the women from Stuff You Missed in History as a guest (and her and Bryan's Fauxthentic History podcast is fun for what it is).

Nah. You're not saying she's a fake nerd girl. She's just a stereotypical nerd only interested in nerd poo poo that happens to have a vagina.

I feel like people need to sometimes dabble outside their comfort zone and see things that aren't Star Wars, Marvel, anime or video games. Be a little more cultured.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

Fair enough - I guess I haven't heard those episodes because I only really listened to them from a month or two before TFA came out through to earlier this year.

Honestly, I liked it best when Bobby Roberts (who also used to produce Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men, which is how I discovered Full of Sith) was a co-host because, as I recall, he seemed to have a lot of knowledge about film and so on like Bryan does, but he was also willing to be the other side of the argument (e.g. he's not a big prequel fan whereas Bryan is) in a way the others aren't.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
If we are talking Star Wars pod casts, please due yourself a favor if you are a 30 to 40 somthing Star Wars fan and listen to 'Star Wars in Character'

4 guys use low brow humor as they express disbelief that the old EU was a thing. Every episode they pick a background character and give a grade school report from the wookiepeedia page.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hey as long as it isn't ForceCast, it's probably a decent show. ForceCast is crap.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Arcsquad12 posted:

A lot of you seem to forget that it took half of Labyrinth of Evil to get through the episode 3 exposition dump and actually get to the interesting part of the story.

That's what I was expecting Catalyst to be, but in this case it never gets to the interesting part of the story.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

ScottyJSno posted:

If we are talking Star Wars pod casts, please due yourself a favor if you are a 30 to 40 somthing Star Wars fan and listen to 'Star Wars in Character'

4 guys use low brow humor as they express disbelief that the old EU was a thing. Every episode they pick a background character and give a grade school report from the wookiepeedia page.

Second that. Chris' cackling fits get me every time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Nah. You're not saying she's a fake nerd girl. She's just a stereotypical nerd only interested in nerd poo poo that happens to have a vagina.

I feel like people need to sometimes dabble outside their comfort zone and see things that aren't Star Wars, Marvel, anime or video games. Be a little more cultured.

But then they might watch The Hidden Fortress and realize that the whole franchise has only been a step down from that movie. Imagine the existential crises it could trigger.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hey as long as it isn't ForceCast, it's probably a decent show. ForceCast is crap.

ForceCast was crap. It ended not too long ago.

ScottyJSno posted:

:monocle:

Subscribed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

ForceCast was crap. It ended not too long ago.

Well that's a relief. Most of the stuff to come out of force.net is terrible especially since their working relationship with Lucasfilm and Disney resulted in most dissenting opinions leaving the site. It's no fun posting on a forum where moderators endorse harassment against people who dislike authors or stories while punishing those same people for back talk.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
To be fair, almost everyone who posts on theforce.net forums is horrible and an idiot.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well that's a relief. Most of the stuff to come out of force.net is terrible especially since their working relationship with Lucasfilm and Disney resulted in most dissenting opinions leaving the site. It's no fun posting on a forum where moderators endorse harassment against people who dislike authors or stories while punishing those same people for back talk.

Yeah, several months back they had this big shake up on the podcast, where the main hosts were gone, and one of the real junior members was giving the hosting duties. He made his first episode this big, "We're excited about what's to come!" and laid out what his vision for the podcast was, how he wanted to structure the conversation, stuff like that. A few days later they announced it was cancelled.

It was pretty hilarious.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lake Jucas posted:

To be fair, almost everyone who posts on theforce.net forums is horrible and an idiot.

When you are 15 and the clone wars has just started airing you're not thinking about whether people are idiots or not. You just want someone to talk to about the show. After a few friends and I started an offsite forum to talk about stuff without the moderator hawks attacking us, we pretty much jumped ship when they used our own forum as an excuse to ban us, accusing us of instigating unrest in the forums.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://www.cracked.com/article_24457_5-ways-george-lucas-almost-killed-star-wars-forever.html

From Cracked (I know, I know). I vaguely remembered Detours being announced but had no idea it looked that bad.

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's wrong with them? Too focused on the new Eu? Legends? Something else?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Detours looked like an extended drag on the robot chicken specials except watered down and made nonstop.

Edit
Way too focused on toeing the party line so they stay cozied up to Disney. Can't have people bad mouthing the shows or the writers.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 17, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nckdictator posted:

http://www.cracked.com/article_24457_5-ways-george-lucas-almost-killed-star-wars-forever.html

From Cracked (I know, I know). I vaguely remembered Detours being announced but had no idea it looked that bad.

What's wrong with them? Too focused on the new Eu? Legends? Something else?

I... don't get the "Marvel comics ruined Star Wars" one. That appears to completely ignoring facts.I mean I wasn't big on the Marvel SW comics because Indiana Joss Whedon Jones drove me batshit but Vader certainly was murdering people aplenty there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Old Marvel star wars or new marvel star wars?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

The image they link is from the new one as far as I know.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, several months back they had this big shake up on the podcast, where the main hosts were gone, and one of the real junior members was giving the hosting duties. He made his first episode this big, "We're excited about what's to come!" and laid out what his vision for the podcast was, how he wanted to structure the conversation, stuff like that. A few days later they announced it was cancelled.

It was pretty hilarious.

Not trying to be snarky, just genuinely curious: Are you misremembering the timeline, or did history repeat itself recently?

Because I do know that Jason Swank and Jimmy MacInnerny quitting and creating Rebel Force Radio happened a few years ago, not a few months.
I remember listening to the ForceCast after that on and off for a few months (I think both hosts were called Eric? Blythe and Geller, or something?), and it was just a very drab affair in comparison. I have no idea how and why it ended, but the general feeling I got from those who still listened was "no big loss".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

I couldn't really get through the article because Cracked makes my browser get all jerky for some reason, but I saw the heading of that entry was something like "Star Wars comics were just getting their act together when Disney cancelled them".

Not sure I agree, to be honest. Stuff like Agent of the Empire was good but other than that, what was still ongoing? I don't think they were doing so well commercially either. (I'd fallen off Dark Horse Star Wars right at the end of it after like 10 years of being a turbo-geek for them.)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So has anything come out to explain away Tarkin's involvement in the Death Star or was most of it Legends stuff so it doesn't really matter?

Not that new British guy seems bad or anything.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I used to look at TFN because they had a reliable list of upcoming books. Now they redirect to some other site with a worse list. So there went the only thing TFN was good for.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So has anything come out to explain away Tarkin's involvement in the Death Star or was most of it Legends stuff so it doesn't really matter?

Not that new British guy seems bad or anything.

Pretty sure that as far as Story Group Canon is concerned, Tarkin is just the dude placed in charge of the Death Star.

Casimir Radon posted:

I used to look at TFN because they had a reliable list of upcoming books. Now they redirect to some other site with a worse list. So there went the only thing TFN was good for.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_future_books

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 17, 2016

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jivjov posted:

Pretty sure that as far as Story Group Canon is concerned, Tarkin is just the dude placed in charge of the Death Star.

:(

Then again they can't bring back Cushing and that dude looked godawful as him in Revenge of the Sith, so I can live with it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
IIRC, Tarkin (the novel) implied Tarkin was in charge of the overall Death Star program and its construction. I haven't read it yet, but people who've read Catalyst say it paints Krennic as a sort of upper-middle manager on the project who desperately wants Tarkin's job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Has there been any indication that Wulff Yularen is gonna be in Rogue One? If they're including one Clone Wars character, it would also make sense to include the one who was also canonically on the Death Star.