Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Maybe if we prevented stupid people from voting. Perhaps by requiring, say, a test to be taken at the polling station. Only allow people who pass it to vote.

That's the ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Now my question is why were some people so willing to overlook the similarly bad poo poo Hillary had done in the past but not Tulsis?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Democracy was a mistake

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Politics are too democratic says the guy pushing the insanely unpopular policy of cutting social security and medicare.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Thoguh posted:

Maybe if we prevented stupid people from voting. Perhaps by requiring, say, a test to be taken at the polling station. Only allow people who pass it to vote.

That's the ticket.

but we don't want to be too exclusionary though, so maybe if we add some kind of clause to it, maybe one that says that if your father and grandfather was able to vote, you should be able to as well.

yeah this is one thing from the bush era i don't want to see brought back, white liberals advocating for a return to jim crow-esque restrictions on voting to keep the people in "jesusland" from voting.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I'm pretty sure Ann Coulter was literally doing that on election day

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

Thoguh posted:

That's the ticket.

what if they added a property requirement? if you are too stupid to own land than you are obviously too stupid to vote.

The_Politics_Man has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Nov 17, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

That's a really lovely article, from a really lovely website. I'm still skeptical. I don't see why her hawkishness is an issue but not with politicians like Hilary.

And all your other claims are presented without evidence.

Her hawkishness and Hillary's hawkishness are both awful and I condemn them both.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

MaxxBot posted:

Gabbard also personally opposes gay marriage and refused to answer multiple times when asked if gays face oppression in America.

http://www.civilbeat.org/2012/01/14558-tulsi-gabbards-leftward-journey/

I do not understand this troll.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zythrst posted:

I do not understand this troll.

quote:

While Tulsi explains that seeing and experiencing oppression in the Middle East helped her develop ideas about individual rights in the United States, she stops short of saying that the Defense of Marriage Act — which defines marriage as between one man and one woman — amounts to oppression against those who identify as gay or lesbian. Asked twice whether she believes gays and lesbians are oppressed in the United States, she declined to say. Instead, Tulsi says she looks at the law “with the goal being government getting out of our personal lives.”

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pollyanna posted:

Her hawkishness and Hillary's hawkishness are both awful and I condemn them both.

Fair enough. The problem is certain posters that were all in for Hilary are wiling to overlook only Hillarys hawkishness. Meaning they're a bunch of hypocrites.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Fullhouse posted:

I'm pretty sure Ann Coulter was literally doing that on election day

She wasn't advocating Jim Crow policy, how dare you suggest that!

She was suggesting an American versions of the Law for the Protection of German Blood and Honor, and Reich Citizenship Law.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fair enough. The problem is certain posters that were all in for Hilary are wiling to overlook only Hillarys hawkishness. Meaning they're a bunch of hypocrites.

i only voted for hillary in the election cause she wasn't trump. i was fine supporting the rest of the dems in the downticket tho. also i cant do research cause im a dumb fuckbaby

also today i learned that local democratic party meetings are basically impossible to find in massachusetts idk???????? this party is a joke

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

tadashi posted:

Is there an Uncle Tom like name for gay white men who don't really give a gently caress about anyone as long as they're making money?

"lgbt people who don't buy into our culture of fear are uncle toms! Wait, where are you all going?"

gently caress yourself shithead

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Segmentation Fault posted:

"lgbt people who don't buy into our culture of fear are uncle toms! Wait, where are you all going?"

"culture of fear"?????????????? they literally elected an anti-gay evangelist to the vp slot

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pollyanna posted:

i only voted for hillary in the election cause she wasn't trump. i was fine supporting the rest of the dems in the downticket tho. also i cant do research cause im a dumb fuckbaby

also today i learned that local democratic party meetings are basically impossible to find in massachusetts idk???????? this party is a joke

I'm in NYC and I can't find a meeting I can attend in my district

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pollyanna posted:

"culture of fear"?????????????? they literally elected an anti-gay evangelist to the vp slot

i dunno if u got the memo but some of the more brilliant minds on the left have decided that gays are no longer oppressed because goldman sachs flew a flag

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hahahahahaha

Yea it's us gays just making up that Trump surrounded himself with insane homophobes and his SCOTUS shortlist was written by an anti-gay hate group and his VP literally wanted to use HIV money to instead 'cure' gay people, and the tiny progress trans rights have made is openly talked about being kicked off the cliff as well.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah it seems like the local level democratic party is non-existent here in Kentucky too.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Democracy was a mistake

-- Hayao Miyazaki

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

i'm not confident that i can say anything important, or that ill be taken seriously. but at this point, being able to express myself in any way possible is enough to relieve my frustration.

All you have to do is repeat Bernie's in your own words and maybe talk about how your life reflects the struggles he's talking about. The more times people repeat the message, the more convinced the old folks will be that this is the direction the party has to tAke.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

She aged like 10 years in one week lol

Reince Priebus, Sword of Ch'iang in hand, destroyed her phylactery on Monday

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

crazy cloud posted:

Reince Priebus, Sword of Ch'iang in hand, destroyed her phylactery on Monday

Please. Priebus rolled a 1 and cut off his own leg.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Even the Nazis accepted Rohm! Come on guys!

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Even the Nazis accepted Rohm! Come on guys!

Well, until they didn't :commissar:

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

Please. Priebus rolled a 1 and cut off his own leg.

It's a good thing he's actually a shared consciousness among 9 goblin-like bodies, so one of the non-amputees could be chief of staff, then

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Democracy was a mistake

Many of the issues currently experienced in the US democracy system have First Past The Post voting as the root cause.

Personally I like Score Voting.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

So what, you're just gonna curl up into a ball and cry? Jesus Christ this is retarded nonsense grow a goddamn pair

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Weak troll

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The problem with FPTP reform and EC reform is that whoever is currently in charge of the government just enjoyed a victory thanks to our current voting system so they're not really heavily incentivized to change it (see also: campaign finance reform)

Maine just switched to a ranked voting system, but they had to do a referendum for that

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
My thread is sort of a lovely joke, but I'm trying to fill in a basic plan for 50 states on how to get involved with the local party. It's got a much narrower scope than this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3798151

I'm an expert in Arizona.

It's seriously sad that this is so hard.
The Republicans have a 50 state guide on how to get involved. No wonder they're able to capture people who feel alienated.

I can pretty much guarantee that there's local meetings going on everywhere, but the info is only spread through channels that people over the age of 80 follow.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

we're at like.... 1890s stage of gilded age 2.0, so be prepared for another ~60 years of this

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Karl Barks posted:

we're at like.... 1890s stage of gilded age 2.0, so be prepared for another ~60 years of this

It's the 1920s, actually.

For real.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/donald-trump-wall-street-bankers-231524

quote:

It’s a restoration of Wall Street power — and a potential flip in the way the industry is regulated — perhaps unparalleled in American history.

“You would have to go back to the 1920s to see so much Wall Street influence coming to Washington,” said Charles Geisst, a Wall Street historian at Manhattan College. “It’s the most dramatic turnaround one could imagine. That’s the truly astonishing part.”

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Welcome to the Second Great Depression and, subsequently, World War III.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Who are we going to fight in WWIII? The European Union? A second civil war is probably more likely at this juncture.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

Yeah it seems like the local level democratic party is non-existent here in Kentucky too.

Call the national Dems and demand answers, I guess.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I LITERALLY CAN'T BELIEVE HOW STUPID THE CLINTON CAMPAIGN WAS

SHE PLAYED CHICKEN WITH TRUMP IN MICHIGAN, LIKE LITERALLY, THEY DIDN'T PUT RESOURCES THERE BECAUSE THEY WERE BLUFFING HIM TO THINK IT WASN'T GONNA BE VULNERABLE

NOW WE HAVE TO CLEAN UP HER BULLSHIT MESS I'M SO MAD RIGHT NOW

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fiction posted:

Who are we going to fight in WWIII? The European Union? A second civil war is probably more likely at this juncture.

Honestly probably Russia. By the time we get to that point in the cycle Trump won't be president anymore, remember

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

My thread is sort of a lovely joke, but I'm trying to fill in a basic plan for 50 states on how to get involved with the local party. It's got a much narrower scope than this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3798151

I'm an expert in Arizona.

It's seriously sad that this is so hard.
The Republicans have a 50 state guide on how to get involved. No wonder they're able to capture people who feel alienated.

I can pretty much guarantee that there's local meetings going on everywhere, but the info is only spread through channels that people over the age of 80 follow.

I don't think it's age as much as it is how much money do you have in the stock market and how much can you give to our "reelection" efforts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fiction posted:

If it's a class war and not a culture war, then bring it on.

• Locked thread