Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

NewForumSoftware posted:

Pretty refreshing to see someone just come out and say it

You would just rather copy their current government style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's U.S. Politics On-Line.

i always thought POL was short for politics, but now you're saying it's a double acronym?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Guy Goodbody is an insane person who argued for a hot war with Russia in a previous USPOL thread.

whoa that guy wasnt joking?

fuckin yikes-a-rooni

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Barbe Rouge posted:

oh I freely admit that I've added nothing except a few fragrant farts, which is still better than the steaming turds you leave

do you want a medal for having enough courage to shitpost but not enough to make an argument?

boner confessor posted:

so what's it like in your weirdo timeline where the us and russia fought each other in the cold war, are the people less historically ignorant there or

man the willful ignorance here, it's just breathtaking

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

NewForumSoftware posted:

Tell us how bombing children in the middle east makes you feel in three emojis or less

😭😔😂

There I made a difference. #sowoke

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"to demonstrate my fears of two nations going to war, i'm going to use the preeminent example of modern history where two nations scrupulously avoided actually fighting each other, to demonstrate the destructive potential of non-combatant warfare that didn't actually happen with no shots fired"

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

boner confessor posted:

you mean, not actually ever going to war? sounds ok to me

"ugh, this will be just like that time the thing i'm worried about didn't actually happen! like when i was sure becky wouldn't invite me to her party but she totally did! it will be that bad!!"

It's not like she's ever cast a vote for a horrible war that ended up being straight up genocide of muslims in Iraq.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

boner confessor posted:

"to demonstrate my fears of two nations going to war, i'm going to use the preeminent example of modern history where two nations scrupulously avoided actually fighting each other, to demonstrate the destructive potential of non-combatant warfare that didn't actually happen with no shots fired"

"the cold war was a good thing"

-boner confessor, 2016

proxy conflicts are not good

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

NewForumSoftware posted:

look if you consider the cold war to be an acceptable state of things then by all means, vote hillary in 2020

"The only alternative to total nuclear annihilation is to roll over and let a quasi-dictator do whatever he wants unchecked to our allies"

-Strong Leader Trump and his historically well informed supporters who are not pussies in anyway

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

boner confessor posted:

tbf i doubt the inhabitants of the countries used as proxy warfronts would see much of a difference

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

boner confessor posted:

you mean, not actually ever going to war? sounds ok to me

"ugh, this will be just like that time the thing i'm worried about didn't actually happen! like when i was sure becky wouldn't invite me to her party but she totally did! it will be that bad!!"

Hillary invited PoCs to her party, told them she's grabbing a couple bucks from everyone for beer, then gave them the wrong address and a six digit phone number to call if they had trouble finding the house

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"we can use examples of the most destructive conflicts of the cold war, such as the battle of, uh, um, and the campaign in, uh, in 1960something, where general *mumble* had to fight off numerous, uh, the, and..."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the popes toes posted:

I so desperately want a Robert Stone treatment about the Clinton loss, like he did with Nixon, just to be in the hotel room on election night when Hillary drunkenly reaches for the pills and they scatter to the floor. It's not a nice thing to want but I want it.

there's rumors of hillary becoming violently angry with mook

tbh i wanna hit mook too

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Showing malign disrespect of the injured veterans of the US-Soviet War ITT.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's U.S. Politics On-Line.

I still enjoy logging in from time to time but the big update last week has made the community so toxic.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Drunkboxer posted:

"The only alternative to total nuclear annihilation is to roll over and let a quasi-dictator do whatever he wants unchecked to our allies"

-Strong Leader Trump and his historically well informed supporters who are not pussies in anyway

Believe it or not it was possible to view both candidates as bad choices this election.

Hillary's only positive spin this election was that she wasn't Donald Trump. Unfortunately, the electorate realized she is in fact just as corrupt and lovely as Donald so the moral outrage didn't win the election.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I consider myself a veteran of the cold war having been born before 1989

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

the popes toes posted:

I so desperately want a Robert Stone treatment about the Clinton loss, like he did with Nixon, just to be in the hotel room on election night when Hillary drunkenly reaches for the pills and they scatter to the floor. It's not a nice thing to want but I want it.

You loving sexist :bahgawd:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

tbf i doubt the inhabitants of the countries used as proxy warfronts would see much of a difference

sure but if we're talking about proxy wars then let's talk about those rather than using an example of how the us and russia specifically didn't fight each other for four decades to demonstrate how they're totally both just tearing off their shirts and raring to throw down

the guy i'm quoting used the terrifying example of "they almost launched nukes at each other" to point out the destructive potential of an event which could possibly happen, in theory, maybe

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I consider myself a veteran of the cold war having been born before 1989

Pfffft hahahahahah

You...consider...yourself....a veteran....

Lol

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

Hillary invited PoCs to her party, told them she's grabbing a couple bucks from everyone for beer, then gave them the wrong address and a six digit phone number to call if they had trouble finding the house

This analogy isn't working very well. Plz clarify

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

boner confessor posted:

"we can use examples of the most destructive conflicts of the cold war, such as the battle of, uh, um, and the campaign in, uh, in 1960something, where general *mumble* had to fight off numerous, uh, the, and..."

Oh are we working on the vietnamese and korean outreach now?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

boner confessor posted:

sure but if we're talking about proxy wars then let's talk about those rather than using an example of how the us and russia specifically didn't fight each other for four decades to demonstrate how they're totally both just tearing off their shirts and raring to throw down

do you want to make a comment on the multiple close calls we had with nuclear launches? or does that just not count because it didn't happen?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

paranoid randroid posted:

how would they think there was a war at all? there were no shots fired during the cold war

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

😭😔😂

There I made a difference. #sowoke

🇺🇸🎉🙏🏿

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

boner confessor posted:

I know you are trying to be funny, but Korea, Vietnam, Angola, Afghanistan

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Pfffft hahahahahah

You...consider...yourself....a veteran....

Lol

Don't let these shakes go on
It's time we had a break from it

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

NewForumSoftware posted:

Believe it or not it was possible to view both candidates as bad choices this election.

Hillary's only positive spin this election was that she wasn't Donald Trump. Unfortunately, the electorate realized she is in fact just as corrupt and lovely as Donald so the moral outrage didn't win the election.

Yeah emails I remember those emails. Thankfully those emails aren't president, those emails. I'll just sit on the train track here and vote Meteor, haha I'm so above the fray. Both sides are just the same. I'm sure the train will stop before it hits me.

Emails.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

LunarShadow posted:

Those people don't actually matter to him :ssh:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
as someone who has fought many hard campaigns in Company of Heros i am well qualified to weigh in on the devastating geopolitical consequences of another us-russia war

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Honestly, a new Cold War isn't feasible mostly because Russia doesn't have the huge sphere of satellite and client nations with which to foment proxy wars, not anymore. They're trying to rebuild it, but at present, Russia is very limited in the hard power sphere. It's economy ain't too hot either. The only reason it's able to get away with things like Crimea is because Putin knows nobody is willing to escalate, paradoxically if anyone was willing to escalate it's likely it wouldn't happen at all.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

NewForumSoftware posted:

do you want to make a comment on the multiple close calls we had with nuclear launches? or does that just not count because it didn't happen?

Are you asking if the times war didn't happen count as wars or not?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah emails I remember those emails. Thankfully those emails aren't president, those emails. I'll just sit on the train track here and vote Meteor, haha I'm so above the fray. Both sides are just the same. I'm sure the train will stop before it hits me.

Emails.

Another poor soul broken by this years election. Sorry for your emotional shock friend.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LunarShadow posted:

ah yeah i also remember all those times us and russian soldiers were in conflict with each other

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

"Corrupt" is the left's "tyranny" or "treason"

These words don't mean anything in America anymore

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

boner confessor posted:

Wow you are literally a genocidal maniac who would've thought

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

you're seriously asking me to comment on how many times nothing happened happened lmbo

sober up, buddy

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Quorum posted:

Honestly, a new Cold War isn't feasible mostly because Russia doesn't have the huge sphere of satellite and client nations with which to foment proxy wars, not anymore. They're trying to rebuild it, but at present, Russia is very limited in the hard power sphere. It's economy ain't too hot either. The only reason it's able to get away with things like Crimea is because Putin knows nobody is willing to escalate, paradoxically if anyone was willing to escalate it's likely it wouldn't happen at all.

They are a nuclear equipped nation, there's nothing "very limited" about their ability to project power

Guy Goodbody posted:

Are you asking if the times war didn't happen count as wars or not?

No I'm asking if the nuclear tensions during the cold war are an acceptable cost to pay for influencing Russia's politics, as boner confessor here seems to think

boner confessor posted:

you're seriously asking me to comment on how many times nothing happened happened lmbo

Like really, you wonder why leftists laugh at you

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

Another poor soul broken by this years election. Sorry for your emotional shock friend.

This gimmick is a boring way to avoid arguing with people who disagree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

NewForumSoftware posted:

They are a nuclear equipped nation, there's nothing "very limited" about their ability to project power

Only if they're actually willing to launch those weapons, which I doubt

• Locked thread