Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
what's going to happen to my etf portfolio if the US markets take a massive dive on nov 9th because of election results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Stocks go down, stocks go up. So it goes.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Landsknecht posted:

what's going to happen to my etf portfolio if the US markets take a massive dive on nov 9th because of election results

You'll buy more.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

pokeyman posted:

You'll buy more.

This, buy the dip

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
:siren: Buy the dip on Thursday or Friday :siren:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Goddammit, I just rebalanced my accounts like two weeks ago after making a hefty (for me) cash deposit too.

Although I do have to say, this is the first time being Canadian has actually given me relief because holy loving poo poo america what the christing gently caress.

Landsknecht posted:

we'll find out together.

e. DOW futures are down more than they were the day after 9/11

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 9, 2016

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
gently caress gently caress gently caress opening a questrade account right now.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I don't have VUN in my portfolio right now, but I just got a 40% raise and I will be "diversifying" my VXC with some VUN tomorrow morning.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Are the markets even down? CAD is down relative to USD, which means VXC is probably up this morning.

Forbe's says "World Markets Plunge, Then Steady, on Trump Victory".

I mean, sure, I was pissed last night when he won and thought I would be worth a lot less today, wishing I had of sold it all yesterday to re-buy today (irrational thinking as it may be), but it doesn't even seem to be the case. I bet my portfolio is up today (mostly due to CAD).

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 9, 2016

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Third highest day for VXC in 2016. Well then.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I'm watching the .DJI in disbelief, where is my dip. MARKETS WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Another win for the stay the course!

Maybe this time I will learn to never ever even have those feelings, even if I never act.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Yep, no dip to buy into. Oh well!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Guest2553 posted:

we'll find out together.

Nothing makes sense anymore. Another win for the buy-and-hold school of thought, I suppose, but if you're the sort of person who has enough assets for this to be a concern then you're probably going to do alright regardless.

On the other hand, 2 year is probably enough time for a republican senate, house, presidency, and supreme court to replicate the kansas experiment nation-wide and this could be the mother of all bull traps.

e. vvvvvv
come on dude don't take away the silver copper lining in this cloud.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 9, 2016

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Another win for the stay the course!

Maybe this time I will learn to never ever even have those feelings, even if I never act.

If we are being serious this doesn't prove "stay the course" either since it's only one day.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Mantle posted:

If we are being serious this doesn't prove "stay the course" either since it's only one day.

Well, it kind of proves the market isn't as terrified of Trump as we thought. poo poo could still hit the fan though, but that is always true regardless of who happens to be sitting in the Oval Office.

edit: VXC up another 1% today. If I had of known Trump was going to win, I would have sold and missed out on these gains. :getin:

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 10, 2016

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Jeez you guys aren't kidding. My original plan was to raise my portfolio from $15k to $20k before the end of the year (same as the amount remaining in my student loan), but I decided to add an extra $3k before October into US and world e-series.

My plan was to start off 2017 with my TFSA having the same principal as my student loan and see if I could beat its after-tax rate within a year.

Instead, I've already beaten it with my purchases sprinkled in since May. Wow.

(I hope that makes sense).

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Well, it kind of proves the market isn't as terrified of Trump as we thought. poo poo could still hit the fan though, but that is always true regardless of who happens to be sitting in the Oval Office.

edit: VXC up another 1% today. If I had of known Trump was going to win, I would have sold and missed out on these gains. :getin:

He can't start doing any real damage until January anyway. My holdings in VFV are up more than they've ever been in the last 2 years right now. :woop:

Vatek fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 10, 2016

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Vatek posted:

He can't start doing any real damage until January anyway.

Markets don't need "real damage" to freak out, though.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
I'm banking on something happening with a fed announcement q1 2017, which should hopefully force BOC to move their hand

2017 could be a good year for some instability with trump getting sworn in, and 2 serious euro elections

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Landsknecht posted:

I'm banking on something happening with a fed announcement q1 2017, which should hopefully force BOC to move their hand

2017 could be a good year for some instability with trump getting sworn in, and 2 serious euro elections

Did you see Trumps 100 day action plan? I'm betting his attempt to introduce those items for debate will cause some serious problems with the market.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Jan posted:

Markets don't need "real damage" to freak out, though.

Market behaviour reflects expectations for outcomes in addition to actual outcomes. Stocks are now pricing in expected economic impacts that can be extrapolated from trump's policies, including infrastructure spending. Construction materials stocks that sell into the us were all up 15-30% over the last couple days, as an example, even though it will take over a year for any policy to result in s change in dollars on the ground.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Market behaviour reflects expectations for outcomes in addition to actual outcomes. Stocks are now pricing in expected economic impacts that can be extrapolated from trump's policies, including infrastructure spending. Construction materials stocks that sell into the us were all up 15-30% over the last couple days, as an example, even though it will take over a year for any policy to result in s change in dollars on the ground.

My gut feeling is that his isolationist economic and political policies are inflationary so the uptick in prices is based on a less valuable USD rather than the expectation of newly created value.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Are TD e-funds still the best deal for index mutual funds? Is opening an account as annoying as I've heard it is? My SO will be looking to set up a retirement account soon and she is pretty averse to having to deal with using a brokerage to buy ETFs so I'm looking for good mutual fund options.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

DuckConference posted:

Are TD e-funds still the best deal for index mutual funds? Is opening an account as annoying as I've heard it is? My SO will be looking to set up a retirement account soon and she is pretty averse to having to deal with using a brokerage to buy ETFs so I'm looking for good mutual fund options.

They are good for people that do consistent contributions on a pay period basis because there is no buy fee. If you can do lump sum you can use vanguard etf's on instead that have near zero MER.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

They are good for people that do consistent contributions on a pay period basis because there is no buy fee. If you can do lump sum you can use vanguard etf's on instead that have near zero MER.

That's moot with Questrade and free ETF purchases.

I haven't had a good experience with TD, I'd personally go straight to ETFs, lump sums or not. There is a bit of added complexity to purchasing ETFs vs mutual funds but you only have to worry about it a few times a year.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

poo poo poo poo poo poo.

I just got a letter from the CRA addressed to my ex-girlfriend. First of all, no, I didn't hold it up to the light to see what was inside. But I did incidentally see the words "period under review" quite clearly when I looked at who it was addressed to.

So I'm guessing this is an audit, which sucks because I just realized she didn't claim any of the Airbnb income she earned (a few grand) when she was living at my place for a time. Otherwise she should be squeaky clean.

What should she do? I want to have something to tell her when I give her the letter and tell her what I think is inside.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 17, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Rick Rickshaw posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo.

I just got a letter from the CRA addressed to my ex-girlfriend. First of all, no, I didn't hold it up to the light to see what was inside. But I did incidentally see the words "period under review" quite clearly when I looked at who it was addressed to.

So I'm guessing this is an audit, which sucks because I just realized she didn't claim any of the Airbnb income she earned (a few grand) when she was living at my place for a time. Otherwise she should be squeaky clean.

What should she do? I want to have something to tell her when I give her the letter and tell her what I think is inside.

Ex-girlfriend? Sounds like it is an Ex-problem of yours. Give her the note, let her dwi

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

Ex-girlfriend? Sounds like it is an Ex-problem of yours. Give her the note, let her dwi

We're still friends. I'm glad the relationship is over, but I feel bad she's getting audited and feel like it's my fault she didn't claim Airbnb income on her taxes. We also split the income via couple-related expense sharing (she paid for some mutual expenses through Airbnb money), so I technically should owe her some money if she gets taxed on it.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 17, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Rick Rickshaw posted:

and feel like it's my fault she didn't claim Airbnb income on her taxes

why?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Rick Rickshaw posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo.

Instead of giving the letter to your ex, you should also return to sender it back to CRA. This way your ex will be forced to change her address on file with the CRA so that she reports she is no longer living at your address. This matters because CRA will make determinations on your marital status based on this information which will affect your tax situation. There can be a lot of tax consequences for this change so the sooner this is cleared up with CRA the better for you.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Can someone explain how I use my TFSA?

Do I open one up with my bank and put money into it which I then use to invest in stuff?
Or do I make the investments a TFSA in the first place?

Zettace fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 25, 2016

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Zettace posted:

Can someone explain how I use my TFSA?

Do I open one up with my bank and put money into it which I then use to invest in stuff?
Or do I make the investments a TFSA in the first place?
A TFSA is just a registered account. It can hold pretty much anything so it can be a savings account or an investment account. Generally you need to be a customer of a bank or brokerage and then just have them open a TFSA savings or investment account.

TFSA is post-tax so it doesn't matter if you buy the investments first or open the account first. You can transfer stuff in once it's opened but generally people sell in their other unregistered account and then buy the equivalent in the TFSA investment account to avoid the transfer fees.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I have it on good authority that Justin Trudeau, most good looking world leader, is going to be increasing capital gains tax from 50% of realized gains to 75% of realized gains. Accountants who work for very rich people in Vancouver are currently advising their clients to cash in on those investments right now to avoid the new tax regime.

Someone's gotta pay for all those infrastructure upgrades lmao

I can't verify this nor can I tell you how I know so feel free to ignore this bc i don't really give a gently caress.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I sincerely hope that isn't true because gently caress that noise.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
The "didn't go all in on housing and thus has substantial non-registered holdings" is an ideal constituency to gently caress in a political sense, so I would not be at all surprised.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

I have it on good authority that Justin Trudeau, most good looking world leader, is going to be increasing capital gains tax from 50% of realized gains to 75% of realized gains.

Would that also apply to capital gains on non-primary residence real estate?
Oh man, combined with a hint of actual enforcement: :gizz:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Please get rid of primary residence exemption.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

namaste faggots posted:

I have it on good authority that Justin Trudeau, most good looking world leader, is going to be increasing capital gains tax from 50% of realized gains to 75% of realized gains. Accountants who work for very rich people in Vancouver are currently advising their clients to cash in on those investments right now to avoid the new tax regime.

Someone's gotta pay for all those infrastructure upgrades lmao

I can't verify this nor can I tell you how I know so feel free to ignore this bc i don't really give a gently caress.

Which tax scheme do you recommend for 6 figure unsheltered? Cause 75% and exposed to the risks LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

Which tax scheme do you recommend for 6 figure unsheltered? Cause 75% and exposed to the risks LOL

I will answer, Trudeau style family trust. There's the lifetime capital gains exemption around 800k so you pound the money in there, pay dividends out to split income perfectly. When you sell assets you get to use your wife and kids' lifetime capital gains exemption provided they're over a certain age.

http://www.mondaq.com/canada/x/385722/Capital+Gains+Tax/What+Is+A+Family+Trust+And+Why+Would+I+Want+One+As+A+Business+Owner

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/household-finances/the-truth-about-family-trusts/article615586/

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 25, 2016