Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Why are you teasing us with faking images of a Nexus 5 running 7.1, Google? :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
I love my Pixel XL. However I have no opinion on my new Daydream as the Daydream app its told me I need to launch first crashes every time I try to log in on it. I haven't seen this problem talked about so I'm going to assume its something I've installed in the last couple of weeks I've had my Pixel. Has anyone got any ideas before I do a factory reset?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

SoulChicken posted:

I love my Pixel XL. However I have no opinion on my new Daydream as the Daydream app its told me I need to launch first crashes every time I try to log in on it. I haven't seen this problem talked about so I'm going to assume its something I've installed in the last couple of weeks I've had my Pixel. Has anyone got any ideas before I do a factory reset?

I was reading up on the Daydream the day it came out, apparently it's a thing that's affecting some (a bunch of?) Pixel phones... Not sure if there's been a solution, could be worth checking Reddit or XDA.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Clearing data is always worth a try

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Call me a dick, but I love it when stuff like this happens:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/nov/17/google-suspends-customer-accounts-for-reselling-pixel-phones

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Can't have the proletariat exploiting the same loopholes as the bourgeoisie!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Holy gently caress that's a massive punishment. Seems unnecessary.

Also my pixel arrived and it's slick as heck compared to the Nexus 5. Also a charge gets me through a whole day of work!

The black version seems more like a dark gray though. More black next time please.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
my nexus 5x bricked itself last night. Estimated shipping date for pixels on the google store is weeks away so gently caress that. If I walk into a random verizon store, do you think they'll have pixels in stock? Are pixels sold in verizon stores unlocked?

edit: best buy seems to have verizon pixel xls in stock. Has anyone bought a verizon pixel and used it on another carrier? Anything annoying about it?

Illusive Fuck Man fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 17, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

my nexus 5x bricked itself last night. Estimated shipping date for pixels on the google store is weeks away so gently caress that. If I walk into a random verizon store, do you think they'll have pixels in stock? Are pixels sold in verizon stores unlocked?

My pixel shipped 2 weeks ahead of the estimated date if that matters.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

OK, you're a dick. You think it's OK for Google, who many people depend on for their day to day lives, to ban people from their services for reselling a phone that they said can't be resold? They have no right to ban resales in the first place, but our corporatocracy has been wiping their rear end with the first-sale doctrine for a while now.

That would be like selling your city parking pass to a friend, and when the city finds out they just shut off your electricity and water in retaliation.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^^ yeah it owns, Google owns, those people are idiots intentionally circumventing the ToS

They estimated mid December for Pixel XLs in Canada and I got mine 2 weeks ago. I'd ignore their estimates and just keep trying if that's what you want.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even if they had them in stock, a Verizon store isn't going to sell you a phone without an account.

Pick up a $130 Moto G4 Play to tide you over until you can get a Pixel.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

edit: best buy seems to have verizon pixel xls in stock. Has anyone bought a verizon pixel and used it on another carrier? Anything annoying about it?

What carrier are you with? When I had a phone emergency I was able to stop by a T-Mobile store and get a replacement rental deal while I waited for my real phone to get repaired. I think they charged a fee that they then refunded when I returned it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Zero VGS posted:

OK, you're a dick. You think it's OK for Google, who many people depend on for their day to day lives, to ban people from their services for reselling a phone that they said can't be resold? They have no right to ban resales in the first place, but our corporatocracy has been wiping their rear end with the first-sale doctrine for a while now.

That would be like selling your city parking pass to a friend, and when the city finds out they just shut off your electricity and water in retaliation.

I have 0 problems with scalpers having their online lives crushed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In somewhat tangential news, Qualcomm announced the 835.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engadget.com/amp/2016/11/17/qualcomm-snapdragon-835-fast-charging/

Based on Samsung's 10nm finfet process. They're claiming a 27% increase in performance with a 40% reduction in battery use.

They are also claiming QC 4.0 is fully compliant with USB-C spec (and is 20% faster than QC 3.0).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

First they came for the first-sellers

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

Scalpers are the god drat worst people, for real.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Scalpers are the god drat worst people, for real.

They weren't scalping, they were trying to avoid state sales tax.

Which may be the reason why Google cracked down on them.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Khisanth Magus posted:

And not just scalpers, but tax dodging scalpers

gently caress em

^^ the fact there was a profit to split would suggest it was a bit of both

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 17, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It also involved Google Fi service according to the article.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

bull3964 posted:

It also involved Google Fi service according to the article.

So block them from Google Fi specifically.

This is unusually heavy-handed for Google.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Notice how everyone says to order and activate on Fi then cancel to avoid this sort of thing?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

dont be mean to me posted:

So block them from Google Fi specifically.

This is unusually heavy-handed for Google.

Since it involves tax fraud on top of Google Fi, they might be required to freeze the accounts pending a wire fraud investigation.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:qq: I totally knew I was doing something wrong but didn't expect to get in trouble :qq:

Wonderful schadenfreude

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Has anybody gotten a wireless controller to work on a Pixel? Nothing seems to work over bluetooth, and every solution I've found online requires root access.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

tap my mountain posted:

Has anybody gotten a wireless controller to work on a Pixel? Nothing seems to work over bluetooth, and every solution I've found online requires root access.

Yeah, I have a Steelseries Stratus XL and it works fine. What controller(s) are you trying to use? Don't think a DualShock or MFi controller will work.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I was both breaking the law and being a complete shitheel. Why am I being punished. :cry:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

I was both breaking the law and being a complete shitheel. Why am I being punished. :cry:

It's like the complaint from every hacker getting banned on Overwatch. :argh:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

EdEddnEddy posted:

Not ... really?

Scalping sucks, and would be bad in the absence of legal systems because it's a disapplication of resources, but I'm not sure there's anything analogous to scalping a phone you can do with a Blizzard account and Blizzard can't ban you from literally the Internet for breaking their licensing (whereas an ancap maximalist interpretation of Google's terms of service actually might be able to, given how much of the Internet's infrastructure depends on Google equipment).

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

sleepwalkers posted:

Yeah, I have a Steelseries Stratus XL and it works fine. What controller(s) are you trying to use? Don't think a DualShock or MFi controller will work.

Xbox one and DS4

I'd have ordered a regular bluetooth controller to try but I didn't want to waste money on something that might not work

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 17, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Or the pokemon bans.

LOL. Was it worth it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

Or the pokemon bans.

LOL. Was it worth it?

Same as any crime/TOS violation, it's only worth it if you believe they won't catch you. Do people ever consider the drat consequences anymore? Oh it says personal use only, no reselling *resells via a third party in a state without sales tax, gets banned to hell and back, trots off to change.org to crowd-whine about how mean ol' Google enforced their terms*

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I would say this is heavy-handed and unnecessary but a lot of things Google does are "heavy-handed and unnecessary".

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
That article needs to go into more detail, are the people being punished using the phones, or are they being bought specifically to sell to the dealer for inventory? If it's the former then it's not really Google's place to go after its users. If it's the latter, then I could see their ability to shop through Google being banned, but destroying somebody's digital life over it seems a little heavy handed.

In any case it's a cautionary tale against putting all your eggs in any one company's digital basket so to speak.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

dont be mean to me posted:

First they came for the first-sellers

Seriously, if Google gets away with this, why can't they put something in their ToS that says "If you ever sell your phone to anyone else, we can brick it and ban your Google account". No more pesky second-hand sales eating into their profits! You laugh, but Microsoft pushed for this really hard with Xbox One and nearly got away with it.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Scalping isn't against the law, and in fact there's nothing wrong with it as long as you're not ethically retarded. No one is forcing you to pay a scalper. If you don't like it, wake up early to get in line (like they did), or wait until things are restocked.

They might be evading sales tax, and guess what, that's not Google's job to police, it's the IRS. Google doesn't get to cut off access to services because of the way you bought goods. But hey, Google has always been fine with forking all their data over to PRISM. I don't see why everyone is so eager to cheerlead Google's erosion of consumer rights.

Edit: It's 2020, and you got fired from your job because your Google Self-Driving Car wouldn't take you to work, because you called someone a bad word on Google+, clearly violating their ToS.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Seriously, if Google gets away with this, why can't they put something in their ToS that says "If you ever sell your phone to anyone else, we can brick it and ban your Google account". No more pesky second-hand sales eating into their profits! You laugh, but Microsoft pushed for this really hard with Xbox One and nearly got away with it.

Scalping isn't against the law, and in fact there's nothing wrong with it as long as you're not ethically retarded. No one is forcing you to pay a scalper. If you don't like it, wake up early to get in line (like they did), or wait until things are restocked.

They might be evading sales tax, and guess what, that's not Google's job to police, it's the IRS. Google doesn't get to cut off access to services because of the way you bought goods. But hey, Google has always been fine with forking all their data over to PRISM. I don't see why everyone is so eager to cheerlead Google's erosion of consumer rights.

Edit: It's 2020, and you got fired from your job because your Google Self-Driving Car wouldn't take you to work, because you called someone a bad word on Google+, clearly violating their ToS.

Source your quotes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Desk Lamp posted:

That article needs to go into more detail, are the people being punished using the phones, or are they being bought specifically to sell to the dealer for inventory? If it's the former then it's not really Google's place to go after its users. If it's the latter, then I could see their ability to shop through Google being banned, but destroying somebody's digital life over it seems a little heavy handed.

In any case it's a cautionary tale against putting all your eggs in any one company's digital basket so to speak.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2016/11/17/google-pixel-ban/%3Fsource%3Ddam

People bought phones with Fi, shipping them to that guy, he resells them and shares the profits. What no one is saying so far though is that you get a discount on the phone purchasing with Fi service, so if he's reselling at retail (probably higher than retail due to demand), they are making a tidy profit. Apparently there are no discounts with Fi and Pixel right now, but Fi service does seem significant.

I'm curious about the legal implications of this. They keep calling it a loophole, but it's still tax avoidance no matter what and a crime. The Fi wrinkle is interesting. Maybe the profits they are making on these phones are now too high or because they were subsidized by service Google can't turn a blind eye anymore.

I'm still betting there's a legal reason for the account suspension rather than just out of spite. These people may end up having a whole lot more to worry about soon than accessing email.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 17, 2016

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My Pixel's charger slot isn't working :qq:. Any ideas how long Google will take to replace it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Charge port repairs are one of the things that ubreakifix will take care of while you wait, bit I don't know if Google is using them for warranty work or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2016/11/17/google-pixel-ban/%3Fsource%3Ddam

People bought phones with Fi, shipping them to that guy, he resells them and shares the profits. What no one is saying so far though is that you get a discount on the phone purchasing with Fi service, so if he's reselling at retail (probably higher than retail due to demand), they are making a tidy profit. Apparently there are no discounts with Fi and Pixel right now, but Fi service does seem significant.

I'm curious about the legal implications of this. They keep calling it a loophole, but it's still tax avoidance no matter what and a crime. The Fi wrinkle is interesting. Maybe the profits they are making on these phones are now too high or because they were subsidized by service Google can't turn a blind eye anymore.

I'm still betting there's a legal reason for the account suspension rather than just out of spite. These people may end up having a whole lot more to worry about soon than accessing email.

Tax avoidance is not against the law, by very definition. I'm not saying what they're doing isn't against the law, but tax avoidance is not against the law.

I'm still happy with my earlier comment. It's really to funny to see uproar about something that companies do every.single.day.