Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

do you really want a better framerate in hitman but dont have a good pc, or do you use psvr?

I don't have a nextgen console at all because my PC is awesome, but I wanna be able to play games on my TV from the couch sometimes and I have too much money. And I haven't decided on a VR platform yet because the market is still super fragmented.

What I'm getting at is, is every game made 2 years from now gonna run like poo poo on an OG PS4 so I'm gonna have to get a Pro then anyway, or is it all about the 4K resolution thing? Because if the only consequence to getting a Slim is that I'm doomed to play games at 1080p resolution I think I'll live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

MZ posted:

Any good game rental services in the uk? I used to use lovefilm until they stopped doing games.

The only one I know of and used to use was boomerang rentals. They got hacked like a year or so ago and I've not used them in a couple of years.

They were pretty good at the time though.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

loquacius posted:

I don't have a nextgen console at all because my PC is awesome, but I wanna be able to play games on my TV from the couch sometimes and I have too much money. And I haven't decided on a VR platform yet because the market is still super fragmented.

What I'm getting at is, is every game made 2 years from now gonna run like poo poo on an OG PS4 so I'm gonna have to get a Pro then anyway, or is it all about the 4K resolution thing? Because if the only consequence to getting a Slim is that I'm doomed to play games at 1080p resolution I think I'll live.

Theoretically, Sony sees PS4 as one platform and will require all PS4 games to run well on all PS4 systems.

However since the Pro launch 60% of new PS4 sales have been Pros. I think if you have too much money you should pick the Pro. You never know if you might get a 4K display or a PSVR. Even if you never do, the Pro has more disk space standard and better load times, so the experience is better even if you have zero of the future display technologies.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

loquacius posted:

if you have too much money you should get the pro because its nicer

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Snak posted:

people who pre-order things regularly get kicked in the teeth. I'm sure "people who preorder this game will feel cheated because of [X]" isn't even a thing that comes up anymore.

Eh, I pre-ordered FIFA at Best Buy because you got $25 off for trading in last year's game plus a $10 gift card once you bought the game. But actual monetary incentives like that are rare except for Gamers Club Unlocked or Amazon Prime.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

And Amazon Prime discount is good for 2 weeks after launch so preorders are still dumb in that case.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MZ posted:

Where? It''s still full-price on the uk store.

Also this is a bit of a kick in the teeth for anyone who pre-ordered it....

It sounds like you need a code to redeem this one, but codes are being emailed out to PSN users.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rastor posted:

Theoretically, Sony sees PS4 as one platform and will require all PS4 games to run well on all PS4 systems.

However since the Pro launch 60% of new PS4 sales have been Pros. I think if you have too much money you should pick the Pro. You never know if you might get a 4K display or a PSVR. Even if you never do, the Pro has more disk space standard and better load times, so the experience is better even if you have zero of the future display technologies.

Well then I hope there's a better Black Friday deal on it soon bc I don't have THAT much too much money :saddowns:

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I believe you can get a Pro from Target for $360 through their Cartwheel app. Pretty much all the Black Friday ads have leaked now and no non-TV bundle deals.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SiKboy posted:

Isnt Titanfall primarily a multiplayer game? So if putting it on sale gooses the population and gives it more longevity so its not a ghost town by new years then that is only a good thing for people who bought the game at whatever price.

Oh I'm not personally too upset about it. Awesome game.
Glad I've been playing it. Just saying to that other poster that this time, it wasn't about preorders.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Red Warrior posted:

I believe you can get a Pro from Target for $360 through their Cartwheel app. Pretty much all the Black Friday ads have leaked now and no non-TV bundle deals.

If that deal is still going I'll be mad because it wouldn't work for me.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

if you have too much money you should get the pro because its nicer

It is. It looks quite striking in my TV stand.

Is there a way to move the YouTube app onto the main app bar, and it off the TV and movies folder?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
AntOnline (authorized Sony retailer) on eBay have Pros for $370 which may also end up being a better deal than the Target Cartwheel one anyway depending on sales tax etc.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlayStation-4-Pro-1TB-/302133420788

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
I certainly don't want everyone to subscribe to "my system" (not my system) because if everyone does this, it doesn't work.

But don't buy anything new. Don't even buy it with the Best Buy/Gamestop/Amazon club bullshit discount.

Wait for it 1) to be proven to be good, 2) Patched so that it works, 3) Content has been added to the game.

Then buy it when it's on sale when all 3 of those things have happened.

For example, how do you think my experience with The Division compares with someone who bought it at release? I bought in in September for $15 and I hit level 30 the day after the 1.4 miracle patch dropped. I bought it specifically because 1.4 was the missing checkbox from the above three requirements.

All that said, I still bought Vermintide at full price on release day, because I'm crazy like that for that kind of game. That was still a YEAR after the PC release, so while it checked some boxes, it wasn't quite stable or functional on PS4 AND it wasn't on sale, so it's not a 100% researched purchase.

There are SO MANY games these days that it should be really easy to talk yourself out of having to have the brand new full price buggy/unfinished items. Any genre, any system.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I love buying my relatively cheap games months or even years later, or getting the GOTY/Complete editions, but I also don't have much in the way of water cooler talk about games. If there was that pressure to keep up with the Joneses at work or if my friends were gamers who kept up with the new releases I might crack and spring for new games more often.

I also predict an 80% chance of me buying the new Spider-Man game as soon as some positive reviews drop, price be damned, but we're allowed a vice or two in life.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah I remember waking up early one day and seeing that G1 Transformers game from Platinum was on PSN and bought it for 60 bucks. Took about 10 minutes for me to go "lol wtf did I just do" but oh well. That games still fun as hell for what should be a budget title and I hope everyone got it while it was free.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Nija posted:

I certainly don't want everyone to subscribe to "my system" (not my system) because if everyone does this, it doesn't work.

But don't buy anything new. Don't even buy it with the Best Buy/Gamestop/Amazon club bullshit discount.

Wait for it 1) to be proven to be good, 2) Patched so that it works, 3) Content has been added to the game.

For example, how do you think my experience with The Division compares with someone who bought it at release? I bought in in September for $15 and I hit level 30 the day after the 1.4 miracle patch dropped. I bought it specifically because 1.4 was the missing checkbox from the above three requirements.

All that said, I still bought Vermintide at full price on release day, because I'm crazy like that for that kind of game. That was still a YEAR after the PC release, so while it checked some boxes, it wasn't quite stable or functional on PS4 AND it wasn't on sale, so it's not a 100% researched purchase.

There are SO MANY games these days that it should be really easy to talk yourself out of having to have the brand new full price buggy/unfinished items. Any genre, any system.

This is not going to go over with the FFXV guys.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I've only caught a whiff of cluelessgamergate, are they on a crusade to get as many one day sales as they can or something to help support FF?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Nija posted:

Same, bought Witcher 3 for $23, Arkham Knight for $13, Dirt Rally for $30, Bloodborne for $20, etc.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Feenix posted:

Oh I'm not personally too upset about it. Awesome game.
Glad I've been playing it. Just saying to that other poster that this time, it wasn't about preorders.

I actually did take your point (although I didnt mention it) I was mainly responding to the other guy to be honest, I just quoted you because you were the last person to talk about it. It mainly just struck me as weird that, having seen so many people who got the game saying they liked it but were slightly worried it hadnt sold well, someone who had it was objecting to something that would get more people playing it. I dont play many multiplayer games, but I have played my share of games that wound up with really low player counts and I would have been all for anything that got more new players into the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The ONLY game I've paid for full price this generation was Fallout4 :suicide:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I pay full price for a lot of games because I am a fool with a lot of disposable income and I always prefer digital. That said, I totally don't mind having paid full price for WoFF, DQB, and TF2 last month. All three are great.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

fit em all up in there posted:

Anyone else picking up Killing Floor 2 this week ? Beta was fun as hell. I also forgot I spent $100 on PSN so I got Gravity Rush remaster for free.

Yes. A bunch of my friends played the beta and it was, as you said, fun as hell.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah I remember waking up early one day and seeing that G1 Transformers game from Platinum was on PSN and bought it for 60 bucks. Took about 10 minutes for me to go "lol wtf did I just do" but oh well. That games still fun as hell for what should be a budget title and I hope everyone got it while it was free.

I did! I said in one of these threads that I'm kinda done with button combinations for beat-em-ups but that's my own hang-up, really. Otherwise the combat system was solid. Given the subject matter and the aesthetics you might expect something clunkier but Platinum made sure it was smooth, responsive, and precise. I never noticed any hitbox or targeting issues. Was really fun, though short. And I wasn't enamoured with the crafting/upgrade system for the weapons. That level of tinkering felt like it belonged in another game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I paid full price for Battlefront, that has probably been my greatest regret since I pre-ordered the new SimCity.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

de_dust posted:

So a bethesda staffer over on their forum basically said that their native 4K pro patch is the extent of how skyrim will utilize the pro. No frame rate fix.

not really all that surprising, they've been releasing the same broken game since oblivion pretty much and just letting their community fix it

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

zolthorg posted:

not really all that surprising, they've been releasing the same broken game since oblivion pretty much and just letting their community fix it

I'd say this was their opportunity to learn what happens when the community can't fix their poo poo but

A) it never stopped them from selling like ... something that sells a lot before and
B) even with the PS4's particularly anemic upcoming mod support they probably sort of can fix it a bit now.

On the other hand maybe learning the limits of how much it can be fixed will do something to fans' tolerance for [imagine a Bethesda logo collapsing :dice:-style here].

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Battlefront is insane in how awful it feels to play. It's almost an achievement in how terribly weightless everything feels, how many useless guns there are, how often you die, how unsatisfying it is to kill, and the few times when I've been a leader on the scoreboard don't make me think that's much more fun. It's a goddamn sin that they didn't make any other sort of game with that level of freedom with the license and the assets.

I bought it for 10 dollars out of a redbox and if it didn't look and sound so great I'd feel super ripped off.

I forget if it was someone here or a review that said it's a great "human cannon fodder" sim, but that's the best description I've heard of it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 17, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Well BF1 and titanfall are both EA, so yeah, as already said, they probably just want to break down the COD loyalist even more.

I agree it was a poo poo time tho. I just really want this game to succeed and all the supposed promised "free DLC" to not be abandoned etc. Hell throw some gaudy skins at me I'll buy that poo poo too

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

de_dust posted:

So a bethesda staffer over on their forum basically said that their native 4K pro patch is the extent of how skyrim will utilize the pro. No frame rate fix.

Are people actually having a problem with this, or have they just worked themselves in a frenzy because they watched a DF video that showed a couple of frame dips? Apart from the opening scene I haven't noticed any frame issues. It's not like the Deux Ex fuckup where you get 20-25 fps during gameplay on the pro.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Battlefront is insane in how awful it feels to play.

I still can't believe what a turd that game was. I remember getting hyped like two years before release when they released that Snowspeeder video. They had quite the hype train going. It's loving Star Wars. The other Battlefronts were legit fun

But I guess that's :dice:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

J-Spot posted:

Are people actually having a problem with this, or have they just worked themselves in a frenzy because they watched a DF video that showed a couple of frame dips? Apart from the opening scene I haven't noticed any frame issues. It's not like the Deux Ex fuckup where you get 20-25 fps during gameplay on the pro.

I think its more about the fact that Bethesda devs are so loving lovely that they couldnt get a 5 year old game released on inferior hardware to hit 60fps on superior hardware.

They literally just upgraded some textures, bundled the DLC and resold it as a "PS4 Remaster".

Bethesda is bad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does anyone else feel like the difficulty in Broforce ramped way up in Hell? Admittedly I've been playing the game on and off for months so maybe my skills have atrophied but man, I guess they want the last level to feel appropriate for where you are.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

a shameful boehner posted:

I think its more about the fact that Bethesda devs are so loving lovely that they couldnt get a 5 year old game released on inferior hardware to hit 60fps on superior hardware.

They literally just upgraded some textures, bundled the DLC and resold it as a "PS4 Remaster".

Bethesda is bad.

And this after they (claimed at least) that they spent a long rear end time interally test porting Skyrim to the new systems to prepare for Fallout 4.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I had a few extra bucks on my PSN account and ended up buying both Dark Cloud games. Thank you for helping me on my journey.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Lobok posted:

Does anyone else feel like the difficulty in Broforce ramped way up in Hell? Admittedly I've been playing the game on and off for months so maybe my skills have atrophied but man, I guess they want the last level to feel appropriate for where you are.

I remember the last boss being challenging, especially unpatched with the slowdown and crap loading times. The only way I beat it was with Neo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a shameful boehner posted:

Bethesda is bad.

Ding ding ding

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

If you got the $15 PSN code, it expires December 12th

You can just add it to your wallet, which I didn't know :downs:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Anyone here with a Gamefly subscription? How well does it work for you? I found out that I live an hour away from the Tamp Distro and I think this is a good time for me to sub up and play all these single player games I've been missing out on because of Money/Destiny.

My second question would be if you can set your account up to share it with another member of your household. Say I pay for the 2-at-a-time subscription. Could I set it up so there are two queue's, one for me and one for a family member, so each of us has a game or movie out at a time? Otherwise it seems like a pain to try and juggle the queue and what we currently hold to make sure neither of us are hogging the queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Have you guys actually considered that Bethesda is really cool and good

Seriously though I get all the valid criticism against them but is there any dev doing anything remotely similar in the genre of 'gently caress around in a giant world for 100 hours while ignoring the actual plot as much as you can'? That's not sarcasm, if someone else is doing that let me know because it seems like an otherwise untapped market.

• Locked thread