Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Poison Mushroom posted:

What're the breakpoints for weapon-independent skills?

Like, I know with most weapon skills, the breakpoints are '1.0' and 'mindelay', and Spellcasting's is "Spel * Int >= multiple of 50" for spell hunger, etc.

What about fighting, or dodging, or stealth? Do I really need to break out the calculator every time, or are there other reasonable rule of thumb options? Armor = current armor's encumbrance rating?

Its character dependent. You train those skills until they reach a level you find comfortable. I don't think they have diminishing returns; which is to say, a level of fighting is always gonna give the same benefits at 5 as it does at 20. The exp cost for raising skills when they reach high levels is enormous though, so I usually turn skills off once they reach 20 unless I have nothing else I want to put points into it.

I always prioritize raising fighting to 10 in the early game because I hate having low HP. I always raise my defensive stats to levels I'm comfortable with as well. Stealth I don't bother with at all unless I'm gonna be relying on it, in which case I crank it up as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
When I play a tab-melee character, after mindelay on my top-tier weapon (+1 or +2 drain buffer), I tend to just leave one or more of my defenses on turned on at all times, even while skilling spells or evo.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
This DEIE found an xp potion, the ring of robustness, randart boots with +7 dex, benemut that gave it +int, and regular mut that gave it wild magic all before finishing lair.

Can't wait to see my embarassing death.

Assuming pointless map loops don't kill me first.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Haifisch posted:

This DEIE found an xp potion, the ring of robustness, randart boots with +7 dex, benemut that gave it +int, and regular mut that gave it wild magic all before finishing lair.

:10bux: on Elf3, :10bux: on Vault5.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Poison Mushroom posted:

:10bux: on Elf3, :10bux: on Vault5.

I'm putting my money on a depths death. Everyone who has experience with crawl can be careful enough to beat vaults and elf if you have a strong character, but depths is a huge slog of common but extremely random bursts of danger. It's very difficult to maintain enough focus for the entire time.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I did it, I ascended a three rune demon spawn fighter of oka. I got gifted a +10 axe and plate before lair and got some major help on discord.

Woo

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
No rune yet, now have ring of ice and conj staff too. :rip:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Haifisch posted:

So I guess you're... having a nice DEIE?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh another buckler Okawaru? Gee, dunno why you thought I needed a third one when I have 3 already and zero shields skill :mad:

Give me a triple crossbow already you old gently caress.

EDIT: Or I can just die to an orb of destruction slinging ghost

I hate this tournament

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 17, 2016

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Internet Kraken posted:

I hate this tournament

RIP to those who died.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I reached a new personal best, I picked up the golden rune as my second rune with a gargoyle fighter (previously best was #3 with a mummy necromancer) I skipped swamp because I had no flaming sword and I was worshipping TSO so after diving crypt I just walked into tomb at level 22. The sphinx pack nearly killed me because I was using maxwells and overcommitted, but after that it was a complete breeze. Tomb difficulty is weird. The thought of doing pan or any hells with >150 health and melee only is terrifying but Tomb was about the same or easier than normal.

Relatedly, does anyone have ideas for getting the Lord of Darkness (Win without entering lair, orc & vaults) banner? Even surviving depths without that xp & gear is rough, getting 2 pan or hell runes to go with it is crazy.

e: Last time I commented I said that beckoning was too good but I was mostly using it on an augmentation demonspawn. Using it on a regular character, even with 24 translocation, 20 spellcasting and 20 int I only had a range of 4. At that point I could cast cBlink at 1% in IDA. That's real dumb. A version of beckoning that had higher investment requirements but a better power curve would be much better. I can understand not wanting max range beckon (especially since it doesn't check anything and pulls the full distance) but 4 range is pitiful.
Alternative idea, make the range scale up faster but make the pull distance also dependent on power, so you need to use multiple pulls if you're not rocking that ridiculous power requirement.

Darox fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 17, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Mahkleb allies or Abyss scumming, probably.

Edit: going super-stealthy would help too. Nightstalker Ds of Dith?

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 17, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Shaft self into 20 orcs in orc mines, Xom "saves" me by banishing me. #99Problems #Xom

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Darox posted:

Relatedly, does anyone have ideas for getting the Lord of Darkness (Win without entering lair, orc & vaults) banner? Even surviving depths without that xp & gear is rough, getting 2 pan or hell runes to go with it is crazy.

I've seen the typical Lord of Darkness wins come from Ghouls because of their immunity to torment and decent apts to be some sort of unarmed tabber as their early game and relatively easy hybridization into Ice Magic and Necromancy later on. The stealth apt allows them to semi-sneak Depths to a portal to scum Abyss/Hell/Pan for xp (without horribly mutating to boot!). Probably god choice would be split between Okawaru for relatively easy gear or Makhleb to keep HP topped up.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Wouldn't ghouls get rotted to hell and beyond by the twisted stars?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Wouldn't ghouls get rotted to hell and beyond by the twisted stars?

Ghouls fix rotting by eating meat, so as long as they kill the wretched stars fast maybe it's not a problem?

I mean, I wouldn't try it personally, but if you want to take the risk for Lord of Darkness anyway...

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I auto explored while over water with a potion of flying and it just didn't move and drained me to zero. 0 skills lair is fun!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Carados posted:

I auto explored while over water with a potion of flying and it just didn't move and drained me to zero. 0 skills lair is fun!

At least you didn't drown!

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

At least you didn't drown!

Flight running low used to break auto explore, so you could react!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Autoexplore should probably just not cross deep water if you only have temporary flight (and you can't swim or otherwise walk through deep water or whatever other weird special cases).

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Autoexplore should probably just not cross deep water if you only have temporary flight (and you can't swim or otherwise walk through deep water or whatever other weird special cases).

I honestly thought it didn't! That's very weird.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Looks like they were already over the deep water and it didn't move them, if I'm reading it right?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Prism posted:

Ghouls fix rotting by eating meat, so as long as they kill the wretched stars fast maybe it's not a problem?

I mean, I wouldn't try it personally, but if you want to take the risk for Lord of Darkness anyway...

The real nastiness is the stat drain mutating can impose on undead instead of the rotting, anyway, when you haven't reached the point in the game where experience is abundant. That's sort of why going Unarmed as your main killdudes is recommended here because the high base damage would render wretched stars inert in pretty short order.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Found the (+8 antimagic *Rage battleaxe) Wrath of Trog on my VS with no axe levels or crosstrains.

I... I don't know. :ohdear:

Also, amulet of faith on Usk is hilarious.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 17, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

odiv posted:

Looks like they were already over the deep water and it didn't move them, if I'm reading it right?

Yeah, I can't reproduce this at all; I just get "partly explored; can't reach some items and places" if i try. (No time passes.)

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Found the (+8 antimagic *Rage battleaxe) Wrath of Trog on my VS with no axe levels or crosstrains.

Antimagic weapons aren't super great for VS.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah, I can't reproduce this at all; I just get "partly explored; can't reach some items and places" if i try. (No time passes.)

Antimagic weapons aren't super great for VS.

Oh huh, didn't even think of that. Problem solved!

Edit: eaten by pigs from the pig pen vault on D9. :saddowns:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 17, 2016

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

Think it might have something to do with rest before explore.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sage Grimm posted:

The real nastiness is the stat drain mutating can impose on undead instead of the rotting, anyway, when you haven't reached the point in the game where experience is abundant. That's sort of why going Unarmed as your main killdudes is recommended here because the high base damage would render wretched stars inert in pretty short order.

I forgot about that, probably because I've never played a ghoul for any length of time. Good point.

My bitch for today: a deep elf mage just hanging out on D:6 with his fire elemental buddies. That was a surprising (non-runed) door to open. My morgue file claims it was guppyfry_early_elven_hall - early indeed!

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 17, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Also, amulet of faith on Usk is hilarious.

Even though you're dead, a word of warning that Wrath of Trog *Rage is special cased to go off on a 50% chance for every melee attack. You WILL go berserk every fight, without exception.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Prism posted:

Mutations don't rot undead races anymore, it's strictly stat drain now.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Probably to deal with the special casing Mummies had to handle rot, since aside from their ability to perma-drain 1 MP to clear all of it the only other way to heal rot was with a wand of heal wounds. I think that ability is gone now?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Actual for real serious FR: item-using menus like (q)uaff, (r)ead, and e(V)oke should have ! functionality to switch between use and describe, like most other menus in the game have. I was teaching my friend crawl yesterday and he was frustrated that he couldn't have a menu that would allow him to view his consumables and check what they did other than the enormous (i)nventory menu.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I had a great OgCK game going, Xom had gifted me a +5 morningstar of freezing and some sweet mutations! Everything was going great, until I got shafted from D:5 to D:8, and then almost immediately from D:8 to D:11 into the middle of a pack of ugly things and a Centaur Warrior, where I died before my teleport went off.

Shafts are a great mechanic you guys

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
So I splatted some characters I had no business splatting (including one of the luckiest pre-lairs I'd ever had) because my head hasn't been in the right place the last couple of weeks.

I decided to try to make something productive of my failure and see if I could get every level one banner without getting a single level two banner. I pulled it off, but now I'm torn - I want to get a win on the board for my clan, but a win means a level 2 banner...

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
okay that's it for me this tournament, i said i'd do it and by god i did it

code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.19.0 (webtiles) character file.

14469393 Ark the Bringer of Light (level 27, 199/199 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Fighter on Nov 17, 2016.
             Was the Champion of the Shining One.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Nov 18, 2016!

The game lasted 08:25:14 (110519 turns).

Ark the Bringer of Light (Gargoyle Fighter)       Turns: 110519, Time: 08:25:15

Health: 199/199    AC: 69    Str: 36    XL:     27
Magic:  48/48      EV: 28    Int: 18    God:    the Shining One [******]
Gold:   15703      SH: 15    Dex: 21    Spells: 4 memorised, 57 levels left

rFire  + + .      SeeInvis +    f - 20 bread rations
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    j - +12 plate armour "Sugaka" {MR+ Int+3}
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    u - +3 warlock's mirror {reflect}
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    w - +2 helmet
rElec  +          Reflect  +    X - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  .          Harm     .    Q - +0 pair of fencer's gloves {+Riposte Dex+3}
MR     +++++                    N - +2 pair of boots of the Planets {rN+ Str+6}
Stlth  ..........               O - amulet of Zaxtaih {rF+ Regen+ Dex+7 SInv Stlth-}
                                B - ring "Goakew Xupn" {rF+ rC+ rN+ Str+3 Dex-3}
                                I - ring of Nihilism {+Inv rElec rN+ MR+ Int+5}
Pan was probably the longest stretch but this was a foregone conclusion by the time I finished swamp. good luck to everyone still finishing off their big wins!

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Help!

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/LogicNinja/LogicNinja.txt

I got this Vine Stalker to Depths, but gold dragons are kicking my rear end. The Arc Blade carried me through most of the game but I don't have a lot of good resist gear (despite buying a bajillion shops) and I haven't found any long blades better than a great sword to swap to for damage.

I need to double down on something offensive before it's too late but I'm not sure what it should be. Long blades? Conjurations?

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Is there an up-to-date list of Demonspawn mutations anywhere? the wiki is horribly out of date :(

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
I want scrolls of fog to have a tiny chance at making a cloud of butterflies since random uselessness doesn't anymore.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Mystery Prize posted:

I had a great OgCK game going, Xom had gifted me a +5 morningstar of freezing and some sweet mutations! Everything was going great, until I got shafted from D:5 to D:8, and then almost immediately from D:8 to D:11 into the middle of a pack of ugly things and a Centaur Warrior, where I died before my teleport went off.

Shafts are a great mechanic you guys

I bet Xom found that hilarious, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
He sure did!

• Locked thread