Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mahoning posted:

Your statements are dripping with the idea that you think its bullshit that economic anxiety compelled enough people to vote for Trump. Which, of course, basically absolves Hillary Clinton of any wrongdoing or missteps along the campaign and just chalks up all of our failures to racism, which is a pretty quick way to demonize the other and not, you know, understand that people are individuals that are desperate and susceptible to persuasion.

*wipes metaphorical phlogiston from my posts with a damp rag* what about now, professor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mahoning posted:

Your statements are dripping with the idea that you think its bullshit that economic anxiety compelled enough people to vote for Trump. Which, of course, basically absolves Hillary Clinton of any wrongdoing or missteps along the campaign and just chalks up all of our failures to racism, which is a pretty quick way to demonize the other and not, you know, understand that people are individuals that are desperate and susceptible to persuasion.

Clinton could be bad and economic anxiety could also not be a majority driver for Trump votes, yes? Is that possible?

I have no evidence either way, but I bet Pew is going to do a baller report everyone will ignore.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for those dastardly BERNIE BROS....

And their stupid dog too!

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

What's the point of trying to make a coherent argument in this thread if it and I will just be dismissed as "broken brain" or "emotionally traumatized" and my argument ignored?

You won't be if you don't post "emails emails emails" as a response to "both candidates were bad and more similar than different". Feel free to make an argument, I'd say 90% of the posters in this thread are willing to respond to effort with effort.

quote:

Likewise, if it is now cool to respond to inane comments with Broke Brain poo poo, like you yourself do, then why shouldn't I do it to the unless stream of inane worthless posts?

Well for one, I was responding to someone who responded to me. There's a big difference between making GBS threads on someone with no context and calling them an idiot for making a bad counter-argument.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Clinton could be bad and economic anxiety could also not be a majority driver for Trump votes, yes? Is that possible?

I have no evidence either way, but I bet Pew is going to do a baller report everyone will ignore.

It didn't need to be a majority driver. She lost be a few hundred thousand votes in 3 (blue) states, combined. That's unacceptable and it has nothing to do with racism.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

welp

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

You won't be if you don't post "emails emails emails" as a response to "both candidates were bad and more similar than different". Feel free to make an argument, I'd say 90% of the posters in this thread are willing to respond to effort with effort.
The problem is that all of these arguments were made, over and over and over, for the last several months of USPol threads, and people don't really want to go over it again. And yet for some reason it's necessary to continue arguing about whether a different candidate would have won, because the answer is "maybe," because who the hell knows, alt-history hypotheticals aren't useful as a discussion point.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone else disgusted that Christian newsites are saying Trump is bad because he is considering an openly gay man for UK Ambassador? I mean, sure, it is some trump supporters realizing they were duped, but the reasoning is gross.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

The problem is that all of these arguments were made, over and over and over, for the last several months of USPol threads, and people don't really want to go over it again. And yet for some reason it's necessary to continue arguing about whether a different candidate would have won, because the answer is "maybe," because who the hell knows, alt-history hypotheticals aren't useful as a discussion point.

I'm not arguing Bernie would have won, all I'm saying is that Trump and Hillary were much more similar than most of either of their supporters gave them credit for and that, for many voters, it was as much about "holding your nose" for Trump as it was for Hillary(and way less about emails or racism). I agree that the alt-history hypotheticals aren't a useful discussion point any more but isn't that pretty much where we are when you're responding to "hey they were both pretty bad" with "emails emails emails"? Can we not take a step back and look at the big picture implications than going over the minutae of how the election played out?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Trabisnikof posted:

What's the point of trying to make a coherent argument in this thread if it and I will just be dismissed as "broken brain" or "emotionally traumatized" and my argument ignored?

Likewise, if it is now cool to respond to inane comments with Broke Brain poo poo, like you yourself do, then why shouldn't I do it to the unless stream of inane worthless posts?

Oh my god you're so close to having an actual moment of self reflection I can taste it

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
I guess this thread is okay, but still not as fun as just reading crawl diary again.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

yeah but look I just wanna know, if I use this here time machine to go back and kill baby Hitler, does that just mean in the devastated present timeline I return to Germany will have been overtaken by a neoliberal

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Welp,

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bernie takes off his mask and gasp, he's a wikipedia.com/neoliberal

!!!!

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
Why don't you guys just post arguments in good faith and stop giving a poo poo if someone trashes you for it?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm not sure what all the single word responses are to that news but isn't that a good thing? I was under the impression compromising with your political rivals to accomplish common goals (in this case- fighting corporate america) was something that was generally viewed as a good thing.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

bernie takes off his mask and gasp, he's a wikipedia.com/neoliberal

Fighting corporate america is like the opposite of support privatization. Would it be that hard to admit neoliberal actually means something?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

I'm not thrilled about this but Trump actually implementing a set of massive infrastructure projects that aren't just slush funds for his friends are about as likely as him saying he was a secret democrat all along

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Mahoning posted:

I'm making fun of monocausal explanations of Trump's election, you spaz. Pointing out that racism was a driver does not absolve Clinton of her bad campaign.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm not thrilled about this but Trump actually implementing a set of massive infrastructure projects that aren't just slush funds for his friends are about as likely as him saying he was a secret democrat all along

"many democrats will be prepared to work with Mr. Trump if he turns out to be sincere about the promises he made during the campaign" is one gently caress of a pull quote

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 17, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's more about his framing of that being the core of Trump's campaign promises, which... yeah some folks got a point about the trouble Bernie's gonna have with POC

"Hey, I know you murdered my mother, but damned if I won't chip in for you to go buy us some pizza!"

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Oh yeah, wonderful. And how are we going to pay for that with promised massive tax cuts on the way? You know how.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

"Hey, I know you murdered my mother, but damned if I won't chip in for you to go buy us some pizza!"

"(that pizza is for everybody, right)"

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's more about his framing of that being the core of Trump's campaign promises, which... yeah some folks got a point about the trouble Bernie's gonna have with POC

I agree but Bernies also too old to run again in 2020. Its all about the movement he represents as opposed to the man itself

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I agree but Bernies also too old to run again in 2020. Its all about the movement he represents as opposed to the man itself

Yeah, he's at the end of his rope. The most he can do is use his clout to propel younger progressives through the party ranks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

I'm not sure what all the single word responses are to that news but isn't that a good thing? I was under the impression compromising with your political rivals to accomplish common goals (in this case- fighting corporate america) was something that was generally viewed as a good thing.
Not if that helps to legitimize a Trump administration that could build internment camps for Muslims, jail journalists, or crack down on protesters.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I'm making fun of monocausal explanations of Trump's election, you spaz. Pointing out that racism was a driver does not absolve Clinton of her bad campaign.

The racists never vote for Democrats.

:ssh:

And Donald Trump got less votes than most Republicans in recent elections. So tell me how the racists did anything at all to get Trump elected. :allears:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, he's at the end of his rope. The most he can do is use his clout to propel younger progressives through the party ranks.

:agreed:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Acid Haze posted:

Oh yeah, wonderful. And how are we going to pay for that with promised massive tax cuts on the way? You know how.

um we'll invade Canada for lebensraum and booty, duh

The movement he represents is still represented by a guy who sure as poo poo sounds like he's trying to reform the Wall-Builder's image for progressives who aren't personally affected by all the, y'know, registrations and poo poo and actually will just let minorities burn if they get trustbusting out of it or don't have to pay off all their college loans.

like maybe that was just a godawfully poorly executed sentence but that's kinda not the reunification of the Democratic base y'all were talking about a few pages ago

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 17, 2016

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not if that helps to legitimize a Trump administration that could build internment camps for Muslims, jail journalists, or crack down on protesters.

So basically progressives should fight against any and all actions taken by Trump because he's Trump? I don't know, I guess that "worked" for the GOP during Obama's presidency but it certainly didn't make the country a better place.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Mahoning posted:

The racists never vote for Democrats.

:ssh:

And Donald Trump got less votes than most Republicans in recent elections. So tell me how the racists did anything at all to get Trump elected. :allears:

well, they voted for him

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

NewForumSoftware posted:

So basically progressives should fight against any and all actions taken by Trump because he's Trump? I don't know, I guess that "worked" for the GOP during Obama's presidency but it certainly didn't make the country a better place.

So you're implying that collaborating with Trump will make the country better? How?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tatsuta Age posted:

well, they voted for him

we're talking about trump, not bernie sanders

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

NewForumSoftware posted:

I refuse to work alongside a fascist.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

A compromise on infrastructure spending that amounts to a massive federal handout to Trump's corporate buddies as a "jobs program" is terrible policy, normalizes Trump, and is exactly the kind of thing Schumer would do. Bernie is trying to play a game here and he's being real careful to keep it to poo poo that's actually in his platform, but I think it's more likely to backfire because I don't think the Senate has his shared principles.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

Well for one, I was responding to someone who responded to me. There's a big difference between making GBS threads on someone with no context and calling them an idiot for making a bad counter-argument.

Except that's not true. You're not the only person trotting out "mental health kindness" as a way to dismiss posters.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Despite our quarrels, i used to think of you as very intelligent and capable.

Now after the defeat of Hillary I see you all shook and unable to use that amazing brain of yours.

There can be a unity of vision. Don't give up hope!

Fojar38 posted:

You are fortune-telling, friend, and that is not mentally healthy. We don't know what the SCOTUS will look like, and the Dems will retain influence in the senate. The GOP still can't unilaterally roll those things back.

Which is bullshit concern trolling at its finest. Especially when you look at those posts in context. So that's the level of discourse this thread is already at.

Oh my god you're so close to having an actual moment of self reflection I can taste it

That all my arguments should just be dismissed out of hand as "broken brain?" If that's what you meant, are you even sure what my arguments are?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

mcmagic posted:

So you're implying that collaborating with Trump will make the country better? How?

I'm not implying that, I'm saying if he has specific policy goals that align with progressives what's wrong with supporting them (assuming they aren't bundled with a bunch of horrific poo poo)

Look, I can see the appeal to just going straight obstructionist and I'm not even going to say that isn't the best choice, I guess I just feel a lot less sure than most of you

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i hope we can at least agree that eighth-dimensional chess is not the right path forward for playing politics with the fascists

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
"Sure thing Bernie, hey though quick question before we start do you think muslims should wear a crescent armband or something more like an epaulet?"

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The movement he represents seems to be advocating economic populism centering around rural whites, while telling POC "You'll get your turn, we just have to give these Trump supporters the benefits first. What, they're talking about internment camps for Muslims? Oh dear, well I hope this doesn't interfere with infrastructure spending. :ohdear: "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Well he is from New York

• Locked thread