Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

spent the afternoon refactoring my 'babbys first single page application' garbage app into mvc, my god i wrote a lot of javascript to create something so simple.

i mean i am definitely a terrible programmer that makes it up as they go along but i was a garbage terrible programmer when i did this. the 'routing' is just switching which divs are visible on one massive html page lol

otoh the REST services that it uses for everything are actually all ok so it wasn't all bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah spas loving suck and you're almost always better off just using mvc and either using the webapi via rest or, better yet, directly via your controller

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shaggar posted:

rewrite it in asp.net so you can hire real developers

i will say, in this total clusterfuck of an outsourced app ive inherited, the asp parts are the least bad. im sure they're doing everything wrong but at least its easy to follow. except for the like 1000 line functions with 100 layers of indentation, but asp cant do anything to prevent that.

the angular part is such godawful spaghetti though. its a perfect example of pit of success vs pit of failure

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
angular is so bad

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Bognar posted:

go full emacs

you know you want to

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

rewrite it in asp.net so you can hire real developers

work finally made the "no new .net development" rule official because it's easier to hire python developers. :rip: me.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Shaggar posted:

yeah spas loving suck and you're almost always better off just using mvc and either using the webapi via rest or, better yet, directly via your controller

i did all the rest endpoints in wcf lol

if i can be bothered I'll just stick them into the controllers as the .svc file throws an 'endpoint cannot be found' error about 25% of the time

i will also add that it was still easier to work with this than the massive pile of 14 year old vb.net it replaced

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

emacs is a wonderful thing. i will still be learning emacs 30 years from now, assuming i'm alive.

gonadic io posted:

emacs does have ligature support for other fonts though iirc

they work in the osx version, supposedly. i copied + pasted that config and it just gave me syntax errors so i'm not sure that it doesn't work.

very excited to peep those beautiful symbols

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

so I've tried to use spacemacs a little bit, but I'm really used to my tiling window manager: where i have lots of terminals open, a few running vim, a few running shells

do I really just need to make my peace with living inside emacs, and put my terminals in there and crap?
as another poster said, you can use emacs --daemon + emacsclient. i'm also really really dedicated to my tiling workflow and I'm not quite at a point where I can live inside emacs, but I'm getting closer. The big sticking point for me is that the terminal emulators inside of emacs suck. i've given them a lot of my time and never gotten comfortable with them. right now i have work inside of an iterm window with a horizontal split. emacs above, terminal below. on linux i do the same with tmux. once i find an emacs terminal i like, i'll probably move into gui emacs for everything because it's much better for the most part.

it will take you a while before you really want to live inside of emacs, though. it was when i started using org mode to drive my workflow that I realized that I want to be inside of emacs forever. that took me about two years of regular use.

don't forget though that I think golang is very good and think the new macbooks pro are great. so take all of this with a big old grain of artisinally harvested salt

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 17, 2016

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shaggar posted:

with react and redux, a spa ends up being easier to write than hacked together jquery poo poo. and you can render every route on the server-side so you dont even lose anything.

even if youre doing some simple poo poo like just displaying some data in a table, the code is way easy to write and its super easy to add poo poo later. unlike the callback poo poo hell that literally everyone ends up writing in plain js because the DOM is poo poo

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the only downside is the ahead of time investment you have to make in setting up your js tooling. thats annoying as hell but it helps me with job security tbqh

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
spacemacs is also good if you're starting. it "just works" out of the box but it doesn't get in your way (anymore) when you have the urge to sperg.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
every js codebase ive seen has been really bad except for the react ones. maybe some selection bias where the people who are willing to learn react happen to be good coders. idk

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I'm definitely a little bit jelly shoegaze

I'll try using daemon+clients (and thanks to others that suggested that). probably have to setup an alias for 'vi' if I want to have a chance of success :sigh:

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

.net is great if you want to use windows all the time i guess

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

or windows server lmao

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

can i just moan about when a manager asks you a question, you give a good knowing answer then they go ask another coworker the same question while you're gone in the hope ofa different answer

if you don't trust me then just loving say so so i can walk

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I'm definitely a little bit jelly shoegaze

I'll try using daemon+clients (and thanks to others that suggested that). probably have to setup an alias for 'vi' if I want to have a chance of success :sigh:

you mean like this line in my rc?
here's mine:
code:
export ALTERNATE_EDITOR=""
alias vi='emacsclient -ct'
it's probably wrong for some reason but it will start emacs if you dont have a server running, otherwise it connects as a client.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

bone app the teeth posted:

or windows server lmao

just chuck it at aws and make the os amazon's problem, who cares lol.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

can i just moan about when a manager asks you a question, you give a good knowing answer then they go ask another coworker the same question while you're gone in the hope ofa different answer

haha just kidding i'm never gonna walk because programmer jobs around here are a white whale and i'm a huge coward so go ahead managers do what you want

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

honestly tho i would have happily accepted that windows is a deal breaker no matter how good c# is if they had ditched it in favour of something like java.

but python? gross.

jony neuemonic fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 17, 2016

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Flat Daddy posted:

with react and redux, a spa ends up being easier to write than hacked together jquery poo poo. and you can render every route on the server-side so you dont even lose anything.

don't you need to use nodejs for server side rendering though? seems to me like a bit of a dealbreaker, although i guess it's not an issue if you're already into huffing js farts

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the latest emacs port to AmigaOS is 20.3 from 1999, probably still usable and better than SAS/C's editor

the OS comes with microemacs but I haven't tried it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Flat Daddy posted:

hacked together jquery poo poo callback poo poo hell

you've seen my app????

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ciaphas posted:

i dunno, you may be reading too much into it?

maybe they're checking the consensus of the team, maybe manager couldn't really evaluate your answer and the other dev has a better way of phrasing things that reinforces your point but also gets through to the manager. are there other signs of trust issues?

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

redleader posted:

don't you need to use nodejs for server side rendering though? seems to me like a bit of a dealbreaker, although i guess it's not an issue if you're already into huffing js farts

thats the usual way but theres also stuff like this: https://reactjs.net/guides/server-side-rendering.html

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Plorkyeran posted:

if you're time limited then why are you doing a bunch of extra memory allocations and O(N^2) deletion. erase-remove (or an equivalent handwritten loop) makes zero allocations and only a single pass over the array

im not sure what you mean by erase-remove, and the erase method itself is O(N) at worst (linear in terms of number of elements after the erased element). how would you code this?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

i dunno, you may be reading too much into it?

maybe they're checking the consensus of the team, maybe manager couldn't really evaluate your answer and the other dev has a better way of phrasing things that reinforces your point but also gets through to the manager. are there other signs of trust issues?

i wouldn't put money either way

there are signs of issues but there are also signs that he does poo poo like this to the other dev groups all the time and also i'm a depressed anxious nerd with no self esteem

just needed to vent :v:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

redleader posted:

i've never done server side rendering with react, although i understand it's a common use case.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jony neuemonic posted:

just chuck it at aws and make the os amazon's problem, who cares lol.

throwing things on AWS as a way to unload responsibility for them is a recipe for disappointment

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I see no point in server side react until your poo poo is slow to initialize on the client side or something

or you want to support people with scripts disabled in which case don't use react lol

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

quiggy posted:

im not sure what you mean by erase-remove, and the erase method itself is O(N) at worst (linear in terms of number of elements after the erased element). how would you code this?

the code i posted. remove_if moves all of the elements to be removed to the end (which requires a single pass over the range), and then erasing them is just changing the vector's end pointer. the whole point is to avoid multiple O(N) calls to erase()

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
https://github.com/aspnet/EntityFramework/issues/3797

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

quote:

Certainly need Lazy Loading... how do you propose doing DDD without it?

quote:

As I said, one of the absolute main reasons for me to use EF at all, was the Lazy Loading feature as it reduces the effort to ad hoc query a database significantly. Having now to decide during development what I need to load explicitly is creating a notable extra on my work. And reduces my agility. Which is a setback, now that we are all supposed to be agile.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

such an astonishing amount of effort to avoid writing sql

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

maybe sql is just bad

e: although i personally think it's pretty tolerable and don't really mind janitoring my 500 stored procedures even though it sounds terrible

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 17, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

such an astonishing amount of effort to avoid writing sql

Linq is pretty good. Pissing around with sql data readers on the other hand...

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Luigi Thirty posted:

the latest emacs port to AmigaOS is 20.3 from 1999, probably still usable and better than SAS/C's editor

the OS comes with microemacs but I haven't tried it

give FrexxEd or EdWord a go

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sweevo posted:

give FrexxEd or EdWord a go

I've been using Annotate but its syntax highlighting and scrolling is really slow on a 16-color interlaced screen

i have FrexxEd which comes with SAS/C scripts but it also opens in its own screen which is a little annoying, I'll probably end up switching to that anyway

after my latest round of upgrades I now have 12MB of RAM on the 32-bit bus so it's way faster than 4MB of 32-bit memory and 6MB of 24-bit memory shared with the expansion bus

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 17, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
so i am now officially certified as an epic web developer or whatever, but now that i can actually start working on my project again i am having a lot of trouble shifting my brain back into give-a-gently caress mode. i hate having to context switch from doing nothing but doing code-along tutorials to actually working on something substantive again. it's the downside to the way epic does these monolothic "camps" to train people on stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its cool that theres at least some form of training tho

• Locked thread