Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Inverse square posted:

Thanks a lot. What PSU is recommended here? I'm in the UK and buy things out of my expenses so price doesn't matter. In spite of the crazy graphics card, I do not intend to overclock or SLI.

UK too!

I wanna recommend the EVGA G2 series but supply always seems to be patchy for some reason (at least according to pcpartpicker).

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/3zNypg/corsair-power-supply-cp9020090na - this one is a good pick from Corsair, which also gets recommended quite a bit in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm looking at a really cheap budget graphics card to get into some moderate gaming (720-900p/30fps) with some older, cheaper games about 3+ years old and indie stuff to be paired with a 600W PSU and Athlon X4 640 on Win 8.1

I'm sort of torn between these two given their prices, but either seems like a substantial improvement over my GT 510 :

Sapphire R7 360 2GB DDR5 $50 (I think this is the right model, Partspicker doesn't seem to have the exact one that I can find)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202237&cm_re=r7_350-_-14-202-237-_-Product

XFX R7 250X 2GB DD3: $55 after rebate
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/8KFPxr/xfx-video-card-r7250xcgf4

I can't really figure out if one brand or model is actually that much of an improvement over the other, if I eventually get Win10 or a new WIn10 PC if the DX12 support will benefit me more, etc.

About 2 weeks ago a 1GB DDR5 R7 250x at $100 wasn't considered a good buy for the price, but are either of these at about 1/2 that worth the investment?

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 17, 2016

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker
Thank you folks! With one at 550 and one at 750 I stared at the 650 for a while, but went for 750 ;)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

About 2 weeks ago a 1GB DDR5 R7 250x at $100 wasn't considered a good buy for the price, but are either of these at about 1/2 that worth the investment?
The 360 is the better option, but still very weak. It will probably suit your needs though.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I made a mistake and am fixing it, but it was the R7 350, of which I cannot even find on Partspicker. Does that significantly change the opinion, though? Any problems running a DX12 card in Win8.1?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
You can get a GeForce 1050 for about $130. That will be a proper graphics card that'll run your games at 60 FPS, which is a huge quality increase over 30 FPS. Also that card will still be better for games in 4 years than the 360 is now.
If you can somehow scratch together those extra 80 bux you should save your money for that.

Edit: Looks like they're down to $110 now.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

I made a mistake and am fixing it, but it was the R7 350, of which I cannot even find on Partspicker. Does that significantly change the opinion, though? Any problems running a DX12 card in Win8.1?

DX12 isn't an option in 8.1, but a DX12 card also runs DX11.

That said, listen to peak debt. You're really at the bottom end of performance, even for 3-year old games.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

peak debt posted:

The one cool feature I like about Windows 10 is the automatic left/right snapping on the monitor that allows me to comfortably use a 34" gaming monitor as a "dualscreen" setup for work. Other than that it's a pile of poo poo :(

IIRC snap got introduced in 7, but it's much better in 10, especially now they've added the ability to move the middle seam.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Grundulum posted:

(1) If you're planning to get overclocked RAM, might as well go to DDR4-3000 or higher. The cost jump from 2133 to 3000 isn't that much, so I can't imagine the cost jump from 2400 to 3000 is extreme.

It looks like $15-20 jump to DDR4-3000. The only set of numbers I've seen on ram speed says DDR4-3000 gets 6-10 fps over 2133, which is probably worth it in the long run.

Does anyone have experience with GeIL ram? It's a good :10bux: cheaper than the corsair and the reviews of the Team 3000 kits suggest they has trouble hitting that speed.

Grundulum posted:

(2) I'm not familiar with the manufacturer of your PSU. That makes me a bit nervous, but perhaps someone else can jump in and say that this is a brand with a good reputation for reliability.

I'd never heard of it either, but it's in the OP for low wattage systems. PCPP is showing a max TDP of 132W as configured so I was worried a 500w or 550w PSU would be inefficient.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Cross posting from oc thread:

Just put together a media editing computer for a friend with a 6800k and x99-a ii board with 4x16 ddr4 3000 corsair lpx ram. When I enable the xmp profile it says BCLK to 125 and when I try to boot up it says overclocked failed and kicks me back to bios. Any suggestions?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

It looks like $15-20 jump to DDR4-3000. The only set of numbers I've seen on ram speed says DDR4-3000 gets 6-10 fps over 2133, which is probably worth it in the long run.

Does anyone have experience with GeIL ram? It's a good :10bux: cheaper than the corsair and the reviews of the Team 3000 kits suggest they has trouble hitting that speed.

I'd never heard of it either, but it's in the OP for low wattage systems. PCPP is showing a max TDP of 132W as configured so I was worried a 500w or 550w PSU would be inefficient.

If I recall the tests correctly, the faster RAM improved minimum FPS by 6-15 in addition to improving the average a bit. This is good, because a game that averages 60fps but occasionally drops down to 40 will feel more stuttery than a game that only drops down to 50.

Can't comment on GeIL, but BIG HEADLINE mentioned that your PSU is okay. Not amazing, but not the fire hazard no-name PSUs can be.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

All I need is another SSD drive to act as a scratch disk and my dream system is complete. I am waiting for a sale next week. Adobe CC educational pricing went on sale for Black Friday already so I couldn't be happier saving cash on software licensing.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks everyone for the help.

This is my friend's final build. Anything grossly dumb or incompatible? Australian prices. Already has storage.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 17, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Cross posting from oc thread:

Just put together a media editing computer for a friend with a 6800k and x99-a ii board with 4x16 ddr4 3000 corsair lpx ram. When I enable the xmp profile it says BCLK to 125 and when I try to boot up it says overclocked failed and kicks me back to bios. Any suggestions?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Try setting the speed and timings manually.

Here is a page for an ASUS X99 board with people who were able to get back to a 100Mhz BCLK: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79065-Change-BCLK-to-100MHz-from-XMP-AUTO-125MHz

And a thread about it on Corsair's forums: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=793946

Seems to be a thing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Inverse square posted:

Thanks a lot. What PSU is recommended here? I'm in the UK and buy things out of my expenses so price doesn't matter. In spite of the crazy graphics card, I do not intend to overclock or SLI.

If money's no object, I'd be going for one of the new Seasonic Prime series power supplies...

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

rizuhbull posted:

Thanks everyone for the help.

This is my friend's final build. Anything grossly dumb or incompatible? Australian prices. Already has storage.

You can get a smaller case, or a larger (ATX) board. That would work assuming micro-ATX does all he needs.
Not sure about AUS prices but if 3000 RAM is a lot cheaper it'll perform relatively similar.
You don't have a cooler listed, the k-chip doesn't come with one.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Khablam posted:

Seems to be a thing.

If I think I'm understanding right, suggestion is to set timings and RAM speed manually at 100 BCLK?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Slack Lagoon posted:

If I think I'm understanding right, suggestion is to set timings and RAM speed manually at 100 BCLK?

Select the XMP settings you need, then note down every timing/voltage related to it and then apply this manually, minus any loving about with the BLK or vcore.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I've been waffling around and poking in this thread every now and then talking about upgrading my workstation (now 6 years old!) and never actually doing it. Always end up waiting for the next iteration of CPU or GPU. :yum:

Anyway, I've decided to commit. As a result of said waffling around, I have a comfortable budget amassed, and given what I want to use this workstation for, I'm willing to spend that budget. I'm a rendering/engine programmer currently on UE4, so I often end up hitting extensive shader or engine recompilation times. I have a 30" monitor at 2560x1600, so not quite 4K but somewhere in between. And I'll be poking around with VR to see how feasible it is to integrate it in our game. Haven't decided whether I'll get Vive or Oculus.

None of my workflow uses CUDA so a Titan is overkill/hilariously overpriced, but I'd take the plunge for a 1080 over a 1070 if it means being able to run 2560x1600 at/close to 60fps.

I'm unlikely to ever SLI -- SLI-VR seems to be a myth and if I ever need it for work, then I'll do it at work, not from home.

I'll be reusing my trusty old Lian-Li PC-V1000. I'd reuse my Corsair HX-650, but at 6 years old, my understanding is that it'd be a liability.

One thing I'm unsure of is the SSD -- I've been exclusively using Intel so far but I wonder if the price premium is worth it anymore? Does the extra bandwidth from PCIe/M2 make a difference?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($449.98 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.98 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($239.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($409.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($839.98 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($192.98 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $2367.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-17 12:09 EST-0500

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Just reserved the i7-6770k and an ASRock Z170 Extreme4 for $2 less than the price of just the processor according to pcpartpicker's prices. Thanks Microcenter! Now I just have to figure out the rest of what I want. Hopefully 1070s see a sweet black friday sale somewhere.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Jan posted:

One thing I'm unsure of is the SSD -- I've been exclusively using Intel so far but I wonder if the price premium is worth it anymore? Does the extra bandwidth from PCIe/M2 make a difference?
You will see much bigger numbers in benchmarks, but your real-world feel won't be worth the premium. You just won't notice it.
If you have the budget to burn you could go for a slightly better motherboard for better on-board sound/ethernet/OC potential instead.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Khablam posted:

You will see much bigger numbers in benchmarks, but your real-world feel won't be worth the premium. You just won't notice it.
If you have the budget to burn you could go for a slightly better motherboard for better on-board sound/ethernet/OC potential instead.

To be more precise, I did get a significant gain to compile times by moving my project from a HDD to a SSD, so if that extrapolates further, I'd gladly pay the premium. But I suspect the I/O bottleneck was more in the latency of random reads than throughput and CPU is the more likely culprit now.

In terms of motherboards, I guess I just wasn't impressed by any of the "GAMING" models and they all look the same in the PCPartsPicker comparison. :downs:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Alright, last question before I pull the trigger. Newegg has the Corsair RM550 (non-x) for $40 with shell-shocker + rebate. Will this be too much PSU for my ~135w system, assuming it won't spend most of its time at full load?

List for reference

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Does anyone have Black Friday tips for those of us blessedly distant from MicroCenter? This is my first rodeo.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I've been looking around, and it's like there's only one Bluetooth 4.2 adapter in existence: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5660#ov

That is of course a combo card with 802.11ac as well, so where are the standalone PCIe or USB adapters?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

zergstain posted:

I've been looking around, and it's like there's only one Bluetooth 4.2 adapter in existence: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5660#ov

That is of course a combo card with 802.11ac as well, so where are the standalone PCIe or USB adapters?

I just installed this in a build and it works quite well. Windows 10 recognized it without even installing drivers, both the wifi and Bluetooth aspect of it

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
Does this look like an OK budget office PC? I won't be able to find anything pre-built that has an SSD/Wifi for cheaper, right?

I don't even know how I stumbled onto that stick of ram, tell me everything will be ok with it?? It looks like that ram is not compatible at all, I'll probably swap it out for something like this: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Black (HX316C10FBK2/8)

CPU: Intel G3258 4 Pentium 3.20 GHz 3M Cache 2 Core Processor (BX80646G3258) ($66.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Intel H81 LGA 1150 DDR3 USB 3.1 Micro ATX Motherboard (H81M-E33) ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: 604506-B21 RAM Module - 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) - DDR3 SDRAM ($17.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5” SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - (SSD7CS1311-120-RB) ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Storage dongle: Sabrent 2.5 Inch to 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Disk Drive Mounting Kit (BK-HDDH) ($6.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 400 N1, 400W, 2 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-N1-0400-L1 ($24.47 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill Dual Fans MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case FBM-01 ($20.48 @ Amazon)
Wifi: Rosewill 802.11N N600 PCI Express Wireless Adapter/Wi-Fi Adapter/Network Card (RNX-N600PCE_v2.0) ($19.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $241.85

GenJoe fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 17, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
That RAM won't work, it's registered memory for servers.

I would recommend this 2.5" to 3.5" converter just for ease of use, it costs about the same.

The rest of it looks good.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

zergstain posted:

IIRC Bluetooth 4.0/4.1/4.2 all use the same hardware, the later versions just add more features to the software side that's handled by Windows.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ItBreathes posted:

Alright, last question before I pull the trigger. Newegg has the Corsair RM550 (non-x) for $40 with shell-shocker + rebate. Will this be too much PSU for my ~135w system, assuming it won't spend most of its time at full load?

List for reference

It's fine, but the lack of the "x" costs you five years' worth of warranty.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Okay manually set ram timings and speed to 3000 and it looks like it's drawing 1.95v

What can I use to test stability of the ram?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if Newegg does extra sales on Black Friday in addition to what's already been posted in their circular?

I'm looking to just pick up an RX 480 for GTX 1060 and there don't seem to be amazing deals on either one in the Newegg circular but just wondering if I'm supposed to hold out for any surprise discounts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Adun posted:

Does anyone know if Newegg does extra sales on Black Friday in addition to what's already been posted in their circular?

I'm looking to just pick up an RX 480 for GTX 1060 and there don't seem to be amazing deals on either one in the Newegg circular but just wondering if I'm supposed to hold out for any surprise discounts.

I don't ever really recall there being decent BF sales for GPUs. You can get a PNY GTX 1060 6GB for $195 ($240 - $20 MIR - $25 AMEX statement credit) on Newegg right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133631 That's right around the cheapest price you can get a 6GB version of the 1060 for I think.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm hoping Samsung does BF sales on SSDs cause I want two.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Is there a thread for headsets? My dad asked me to find him one for teleconferencing, I'm thinking something in the 20-60 dollar range.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Housh posted:

I'm hoping Samsung does BF sales on SSDs cause I want two.

Newegg is evidently going to have the 1TB 850 EVO for $250.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Newegg is evidently going to have the 1TB 850 EVO for $250.
Beauty.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Jan posted:

I've been waffling around and poking in this thread every now and then talking about upgrading my workstation (now 6 years old!) and never actually doing it. Always end up waiting for the next iteration of CPU or GPU. :yum:

Anyway, I've decided to commit. As a result of said waffling around, I have a comfortable budget amassed, and given what I want to use this workstation for, I'm willing to spend that budget. I'm a rendering/engine programmer currently on UE4, so I often end up hitting extensive shader or engine recompilation times. I have a 30" monitor at 2560x1600, so not quite 4K but somewhere in between. And I'll be poking around with VR to see how feasible it is to integrate it in our game. Haven't decided whether I'll get Vive or Oculus.

None of my workflow uses CUDA so a Titan is overkill/hilariously overpriced, but I'd take the plunge for a 1080 over a 1070 if it means being able to run 2560x1600 at/close to 60fps.

I'm unlikely to ever SLI -- SLI-VR seems to be a myth and if I ever need it for work, then I'll do it at work, not from home.

I'll be reusing my trusty old Lian-Li PC-V1000. I'd reuse my Corsair HX-650, but at 6 years old, my understanding is that it'd be a liability.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($449.98 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.98 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($239.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($409.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($839.98 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($192.98 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $2367.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-17 12:09 EST-0500

Two things:

(1) The 960 EVOs are supposedly coming out soon, and will cost less than the 950 PROs of equal size. You might save some money by making that replacement.

(2) A 750W platinum is overkill for the components you have in your machine. You could drop down to a 650W and still have plenty of headroom for overclocking down the line, and a drop to gold efficiency won't make that much extra heat. Again, in the interest of saving money. You said you have the budget, but why force yourself to spend it?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Grundulum posted:

Two things:

(1) The 960 EVOs are supposedly coming out soon, and will cost less than the 950 PROs of equal size. You might save some money by making that replacement.

(2) A 750W platinum is overkill for the components you have in your machine. You could drop down to a 650W and still have plenty of headroom for overclocking down the line, and a drop to gold efficiency won't make that much extra heat. Again, in the interest of saving money. You said you have the budget, but why force yourself to spend it?

Yeah, since my post, I spent a little while catching up on SSD developments and the 960 EVO seems like it'll be a better value -- provided it's as good as 850, which is my plan B if not. The 850 might not be NVMe but meh.

As for the power supply, well, the HX650 is not available at any Canadian retailers anymore, so the closest choice is the RM650. It also seems like a reliable and quiet product line, so yeah, not a bad tradeoff. I'll put the difference towards a fancier motherboard.

Thanks, I'll stay tuned for the 960s. e: And Black Friday, come to think of it.

Jan fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Okay manually set ram timings and speed to 3000 and it looks like it's drawing 1.95v

What can I use to test stability of the ram?

If 1.95v is your DRAM voltage that is very aggressively volted for DDR4-3000. 1.35v is where you want to be.
You can memtest to look for damaged sticks, but largely is the motherboard posts then the RAM settings are fine.