Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Cris...
https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/798598472580485122

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Adults talking out a twitter feud gives me a glimmer of hope for the future of discourse in America

Niwrad posted:

They just don't have the kind of writers that Grantland had. Some of the best people moved on to other ventures.

I think they should have put more effort into building out that podcast network. Simmons show feels half-assed, although maybe that's because he was putting most of the effort into the HBO show. Keepin it 1600 was a nice breakout podcast but I'm not sure if it has legs now that the election is over. Otherwise the rest just feel like mediocre podcasts about a topic with nothing distinguishing about them.

I actually think being in opposition is the best thing that could happen for Keepin It 1600's popularity.

Adun fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 15, 2016

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Adun posted:

Adults talking out a twitter feud gives me a glimmer of hope for the future of discourse in America

I actually think being in opposition is the best thing that could happen for Keepin It 1600's popularity.

Wasn't even a feud though. Simmons unironically loves Michaels & Collinsworth. He just does the voice because...well, he's Bill Simmons. It was a good listen though.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
the ringer's nba shootaround article today has a stars of the lid reference so we cool go the ringer.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

It seems deadspin has been reading our thread:

http://deadspin.com/bill-simmons-isnt-too-big-to-fail-1788556607

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Very solid article. It nails the perfect adjective to describe The Ringer - "inessential."

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

Very solid article. It nails the perfect adjective to describe The Ringer - "inessential."

It's just depressing that whenever I read the Ringer I can't help but think about how much better Grantland was

I really miss the more ridiculous Remebrt Browne articles like his last ever Grantland piece:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/rembert-explains-sisqos-unleash-the-dragon/

Adun fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 17, 2016

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I didn't really read much of Grantland, but I usually check the Ringer once a day or so and find a couple articles worth reading.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Adun posted:

It's just depressing that whenever I read the Ringer I can't help but think about how much better Grantland was

I really miss the more ridiculous Remebrt Browne articles like his last ever Grantland piece:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/rembert-explains-sisqos-unleash-the-dragon/

my favourite Grantland piece was the minute by minute breakdown of how many times Kate Winslet tried to kill Leonardo Di Caprio in Titanic, and all I can do is giggle all the way through

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

I didn't really read much of Grantland, but I usually check the Ringer once a day or so and find a couple articles worth reading.

I usually find two or three at the Ringer but would find a half dozen at Grantland.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

WHO SAYS NO?? is the best because the answer is always 'the team that *Boston Sports Team* is trading with'.

Even when Boston isn't involved, I find there's often a team who would very easily say no. I remember some cockmanie trade he came up with the Raptors to acquire Eric Bledsoe, and it involved giving up way too much (something like 2 first rounders, plus 3 players, including DeRozan).

Eric's a good player, but DeRozan is straight up better. Plus picks and depth guys? gently caress that. We'd STILL be rebuilding.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 17, 2016

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

The Sea Of Crises might be my favorite longform story essay whatever you call it of the decade.

I miss Grantland.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

my favourite Grantland piece was the minute by minute breakdown of how many times Kate Winslet tried to kill Leonardo Di Caprio in Titanic, and all I can do is giggle all the way through

Holy hell, I missed that one and just read it and laughed my rear end off. I love Titanic but that was great.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Voodoofly posted:

The Sea Of Crises might be my favorite longform story essay whatever you call it of the decade.

I miss Grantland.

poo poo, I remember reading this and being completely enthralled, thanks for bringing it back into my head.

EDIT: I actually bought a copy of Runaway Horses because of it, but I haven't started it yet.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 17, 2016

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Brian Phillips basically tried to recreate that one with another long-form "I am traveling somewhere and also mentally unstable" story at MTV that I didn't care for that much. His lengthy profile on animator Yuriy Norshteyn that came out recently is really great though

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

morestuff posted:

Brian Phillips basically tried to recreate that one with another long-form "I am traveling somewhere and also mentally unstable" story at MTV that I didn't care for that much. His lengthy profile on animator Yuriy Norshteyn that came out recently is really great though

Yeah, the Area 51 story had some great moments, but was pretty forgettable. I need to check out the other one, though, and also set a reminder to check his page on MTV more often.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Voodoofly posted:

Yeah, the Area 51 story had some great moments, but was pretty forgettable. I need to check out the other one, though, and also set a reminder to check his page on MTV more often.

His current gig only calls for four long-form features a year, but he'll pop up with a shorter piece every month or so.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

EDIT: I actually bought a copy of Runaway Horses because of it, but I haven't started it yet.

I had a copy that I picked up at a used book store a few years ago. I had never read it because I figured I should read the series in order, but after reading The Sea of Crises I just said the hell with it and read it anyway. I am glad I did.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Brian Phillips on the Iditarod is one of my favourite pieces of writing

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

BWV posted:

Brian Phillips on the Iditarod is one of my favourite pieces of writing

Definitely my first taste of him too. So good

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Voodoofly posted:

I miss Grantland.

The one where they detail Ric Flair's slow, sad decent, and countered Flair's threat of a lawsuit by revealing their source was Flair's own biography, was a favorite of mine beyond the post-publication drama.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best thing about that and the also-good piece on New Jack was how none of the good Grantland wrestling coverage was actually written by Grantland's wrestling writer, because Grantland's wrestling writer sucked rear end

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Alain Post posted:

The best thing about that and the also-good piece on New Jack was how none of the good Grantland wrestling coverage was actually written by Grantland's wrestling writer, because Grantland's wrestling writer sucked rear end

I'm not a wrestling guy, but I always enjoyed the masked man's dead wrestler of the week pieces for deadspin. Of course because I'm not a wrestling guy I didn't really follow his writing on current wrestling when he made the jump to grantland.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 19, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the short story is that he is factually wrong about everything

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I despise the masked man, nothing to add but just thought I'd pile on that loser.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can someone give some examples of why he's so bad? It's weird enough to me that wrestling journalism is a profession.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Can someone give some examples of why he's so bad? It's weird enough to me that wrestling journalism is a profession.

Shoemaker is basically wrestling Simmons. He's a fanboy who caught a bit of a following for being an entertaining blogger and has parlayed that into higher profile gigs.

Professional wrestling journalism (as in professional journalism about wrestling rather than journalism about pro wrestling) actually exists, but the only person who's been able to do it is Dave Meltzer who managed to actually do it in the pre-internet era and has kept it up.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Calling him Wrestling Simmons is too kind to him, he's like Wrestling Simmons if BIll Simmons actually was factually wrong about Boston sports history to the extent where he thought the Bill Buckner game in the '86 series was actually game 7 or some poo poo.

I mean I wish I could pull up a big list but he thought Andre the Giant was Italian ffs

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
It's basically like if their main baseball writer just casually trotted out an article with gems like

"In 1923, Babe Ruth crushed 85 home runs, changing the game forever..."

"Barry Bonds was never truly a great power hitter..."

"Growing up in Albania, George Brett never imagined he'd be famous for discussing pissing his pants"

"Most fans of the era will admit, the 1990s Atlanta Braves pitching staff was overrated"

and then also every article would make sure to mention how great the current MLB is and how amazing the league is doing and how everyone loves it and it's a boom period

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
specifically one of the major issues is that WWE, being the only major US wrestling promotion still in operation sanitizes the history of wrestling to a tremendous degree (generally to make the WWE look good) and Shoemaker buys into this revisionist view completely

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I am a historian, so one of my issues with Shoemaker is that he is willfully ahistorical in his writing. As an example, he seems to consider wrestlers like Gorgeous George, Goldust, and Adrian Adonis all the same. He even uses the term "human being heels" to describe them. To do this as a journalist without considering historic social context is just downright unacceptable.

Alain Post posted:

specifically one of the major issues is that WWE, being the only major US wrestling promotion still in operation sanitizes the history of wrestling to a tremendous degree (generally to make the WWE look good) and Shoemaker buys into this revisionist view completely

This is also very true. And the comparisons to Simmons are apt. I couldn't listen to the Grantland podcast when Shoemaker was on there because his self-promotion was so grating.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I disliked Grantland as a whole but Adam Sharp has been great since moving to SI. I feel like as a whole SI benefited the most from Grantland going down.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

MTV News probably more so than SI because they did a complete reinvention based around Grantlanders...that I never read.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Grantland's culture writers were all kind of trash except for Wesley Morris

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

morestuff posted:

Grantland's culture writers were all kind of trash except for Wesley Morris
rembert and shea serrano were good when they liked something

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
alex pappademas was great

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

howe_sam posted:

MTV News probably more so than SI because they did a complete reinvention based around Grantlanders...that I never read.

Having Holly Anderson on staff, but not writing about football, is just cruel.

(Also Jamil Smith is a bad and wrong writer)

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I would love for someone to link me to a Holly Anderson article that wasn't unforgivably boring nonsense that could be written by any college football columnist.

The best Grantland article about college football was the Johnny Football one. And I don't even know who Shane Ryan is.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

milk milk lemonade posted:

I would love for someone to link me to a Holly Anderson article that wasn't unforgivably boring nonsense that could be written by any college football columnist.

Life's Rich Pageant: Meet a Florida Man. The story of a dude who got his dick caught in a compound bow.

I also enjoyed her Justified recaps even if she got saddled with the worst season of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

howe_sam posted:

Life's Rich Pageant: Meet a Florida Man. The story of a dude who got his dick caught in a compound bow.

I also enjoyed her Justified recaps even if she got saddled with the worst season of the show.

I was gonna post the Florida Man one too and you beat me to it. I also enjoyed this one about the great outdoor games: http://grantland.com/features/blades-of-glory/