Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Kylra posted:

Texas has filed a North Carolina style bathroom bill for 2017. The Women's Privacy Act. I don't think this had been mentioned yet.
Closeish:
The lieutenant governor of Texas would like a member of the legislature to write, sponsor and introduce an anti-trans person bill for next year's legislative session. The LtGov would like to be called the Women's Privacy Act.
This may well happen, but it hasn't yet, and happily is getting lots of pushback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

joat mon posted:

Closeish:
The lieutenant governor of Texas would like a member of the legislature to write, sponsor and introduce an anti-trans person bill for next year's legislative session. The LtGov would like to be called the Women's Privacy Act.
This may well happen, but it hasn't yet, and happily is getting lots of pushback.

Yet again, trans men do not exist and the real reason for the bill is the male conservative fear of penises.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

joat mon posted:

Closeish:
It is apparently written and filed. I dunno if that technically makes it sponsored, but the guy doing the filing is Bob Hall.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/85R/billtext/pdf/SB00092I.pdf#navpanes=0

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Upon closer inspection I suppose that particular one doesn't stipulate that trans people must use the bathroom in concordance with their birth certificate, but it does strip any local non-discrimination ordinances or protections for lgbt people. In theory, if the courts uphold it.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 17, 2016

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Oh good, they underlined the section of the bill that's complete horseshit

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Krysmphoenix posted:

Oh good, they underlined the section of the bill that's complete horseshit
I know right?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Reading the underlined part it just looks like a way for them to not make any useful laws and then void any local laws that try to address a problem the state isn't interested in.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

The bill's main effects would be to strip protections for LGBT people in Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, El Paso and a few others. There might be a few disability things caught in the crossfire too, but the main effect will be to tear down metro area LGBT anti-discrimination ordinances.

If the state isn't interested in it, this bill will not come up for a vote. If it is voted affirmative, then it's obvious the state is interested in tearing down those protections and sees the protections as some kind of problem themselves.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Kylra posted:

The bill's main effects would be to strip protections for LGBT people in Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, El Paso and a few others. There might be a few disability things caught in the crossfire too, but the main effect will be to tear down metro area LGBT anti-discrimination ordinances.

If the state isn't interested in it, this bill will not come up for a vote. If it is voted affirmative, then it's obvious the state is interested in tearing down those protections and sees the protections as some kind of problem themselves.

So States' Rights > Cities' Rights > Federal Rights?
That seems a bit off.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Aleph Null posted:

That seems a bit off.
It was never really about state's rights. Though I imagine you already knew this.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Aleph Null posted:

That seems a bit off.
I think it's actually What We Want > Everybody else

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Kylra posted:

Its largely just a big eviction notice for trans texans like myself; the effect is largely to communicate a strong "We don't want you here". Not that it wasn't abundantly clear before, it's a completely transparent line of attack.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

That seems a bit off.

No, Federal constitutional rights > state constitutional rights (unless the state grants greater rights) > city ordinances.

In the Texas example, the state of Texas is basically saying, "Cities, we got this, we'll handle these regulations at the state level." Texas still has to honor federal constitutional rights (and applicable federal statutes) and state constitutional rights and state statutes.

Instant Sunrise posted:

yeah that's how it's meant to work, but let's be real, what the right wants is for States Rights We Like > Everything Else
Playing favorites with state's rights transcends the political spectrum.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 17, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

joat mon posted:

No, Federal constitutional rights > state constitutional rights (unless the state grants greater rights) > city ordinances.

In the Texas example, the state of Texas is basically saying, "Cities, we got this, we'll handle these regulations at the state level." Texas still has to honor federal constitutional rights (and applicable federal statutes) and state constitutional rights and state statutes.

yeah that's how it's meant to work, but let's be real, what the right wants is for States Rights We Like > Everything Else

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MaxxBot posted:

People aren't going to suddenly start hating gays because Trump won, especially since Trump never even says anything bad about gays. Things are going to suck in the short term but there's no way the long trend towards LGBT acceptance is going to suddenly reverse itself.

People don't have to start. There's already a vocal minority who just had that hate validated by the highest offices in the country, and a literal monster of a man is one 70 year old Cheeto having a heart attack away from the Presidency.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

joat mon posted:

Playing favorites with state's rights transcends the political spectrum.

Dems don't hold state's rights or local control as sacrosanct though, they're happy to send in the feds if they don't like something going on in a state.

Republicans claim that they're staunch defenders of state's rights because local control is the best but what they really mean is state control is the best because Republicans control a lot of states, actual local control is bad because cities are controlled by dirty liberals.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Minnesota woman sues her daughter, state and non-profit agencies, for transitioning without her consent.

Has this been brought up because it is loving insane.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Filthy Haiku posted:

Its largely just a big eviction notice for trans texans like myself; the effect is largely to communicate a strong "We don't want you here". Not that it wasn't abundantly clear before, it's a completely transparent line of attack.
Jokes on them, I'm already leaving.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It's not a very funny joke though. I'm sorry everyone.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

This woman is scum.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Dark One posted:

This woman is scum.

100%

Luckily it looks like the law is absolutely not on her side.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Liquid Communism posted:

100%

Luckily it looks like the law is absolutely not on her side.

Usually I can follow whatever stupid and twisted logic these idiots use to build these suits, but that link said she was claiming her 14th amendment rights were being violated.

What?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

The 14th makes the Bill of Rights and other federal constitutional protections applicable to the states.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Keeshhound posted:

Usually I can follow whatever stupid and twisted logic these idiots use to build these suits, but that link said she was claiming her 14th amendment rights were being violated.

What?

Parental rights fall under the due-process clause of the 14th. Shittiest mom of the year is claiming that the court never informed her when her child applied for emancipation, so she had no opportunity to challenge the loss of her parental rights, and therefor the lack of due process means they should still be intact. So daughter, using the current law in Minnesota that grants emancipated minors control over their own medical decisions, is violating her mother's parental rights by getting medical care her mom hasn't signed off on.

And this is all being backed by an anti-abortion group, because the law gives cover to minors seeking abortions without parental consent. Looking forward to so Minnesota judge smacking this poo poo sandwich down with the fury of an angry god.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Not US but I'm hearing something about FADA being likely to be passed with republican control of all your governing bodies?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Geokinesis posted:

Not US but I'm hearing something about FADA being likely to be passed with republican control of all your governing bodies?

Yeah probably.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

there wolf posted:

Parental rights fall under the due-process clause of the 14th. Shittiest mom of the year is claiming that the court never informed her when her child applied for emancipation, so she had no opportunity to challenge the loss of her parental rights, and therefor the lack of due process means they should still be intact. So daughter, using the current law in Minnesota that grants emancipated minors control over their own medical decisions, is violating her mother's parental rights by getting medical care her mom hasn't signed off on.

And this is all being backed by an anti-abortion group, because the law gives cover to minors seeking abortions without parental consent. Looking forward to so Minnesota judge smacking this poo poo sandwich down with the fury of an angry god.

If I'm reading the article right, the child never -had- to apply, Minnesota law isn't very definite, but seems to agree that living on their own with no parental attempts to get them to return home after running away or being kicked out is sufficient.

http://www.lawhelpmn.org/files/1765CC5E-1EC9-4FC4-65EC-957272D8A04E/attachments/142FAC1B-D276-4E40-97D4-9662A7B0DE56/y-12-emancipation.pdf

It is, of course, going to be woefully expensive to prove, and all because a 17 year old is transistioning and the parent who abandoned them wants to put the brakes on. Case is, more than likely from what I can tell as a layperson, going to be dismissed anyway because by the time it comes to court the daughter will be of age and the mother's requests will be without merit.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 18, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The hell is with these goddamn freaks who can't be bothered to look after their kids but sure as gently caress want a legal say over their ability to look after themselves.

Like pick one or the other you massive weirdo.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 18, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

OwlFancier posted:

The hell is with their goddamn freaks who can't be bothered to look after their kids but sure as gently caress want a legal say over their ability to look after themselves.

She probably wanted money tbqh.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

How the hell is it not a crime to report that your minor child is missing? For six months.

e: seriously, at some point somebody has to ask, "did you murder your child?"

Bethamphetamine fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 18, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That's what it sounds like to me. That she wants money. Also, legal system is weird when parents sue their underage children.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The hell is with these goddamn freaks who can't be bothered to look after their kids but sure as gently caress want a legal say over their ability to look after themselves.

It's a power and control thing. Clearly throwing her daughter out of the house didn't get the results she wanted, so she's trying to gently caress with her another way. And hey, look, it's fundie organizations who have no qualms about supporting a clearly abusive parent, yet again.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

there wolf posted:

Ah, now I see their angle. I was trying to figure out how getting automatic emancipation struck down (best case scenario for the plaintiff) gets them what they want, since it still wouldn't affect the legality of transitioning.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Vindicator posted:

It's a power and control thing. Clearly throwing her daughter out of the house didn't get the results she wanted, so she's trying to gently caress with her another way. And hey, look, it's fundie organizations who have no qualms about supporting a clearly abusive parent, yet again.

they circled the wagons around bill gothard and josh duggar when the allegations started coming out about them

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

In the states? It's been tried a couple of times I can recall. Last year a Georgia bill got vetoed and a Mississippi bill was enacted but enjoined before it came into effect. (Barber v. Bryant). Any bills that get passed would meet a similar fate to the MS bill.

On the federal side? Probably not, there isn't enough momentum or critical mass to push something this unnecessarily divisive through. I could be wrong. A federal version would also have very limited applicability, a'la the federal RFRA. Even in the unlikely event it passes, it's unlikely to pass constitutional muster. (See below)

Here's the opinion in Barber v. Bryant. It's a good read, and maybe assuage some concerns about the viability of other FADAs.

quote:

(This is just the intro)
The United States Supreme Court has spoken clearly on the constitutional principles at stake. Under the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, a state “may not aid, foster, or promote one religion or religious theory against another.” Epperson v. Arkansas, 393 U.S. 97, 104 (1968). “When the government acts with the ostensible and predominant purpose of advancing religion, it violates that central Establishment Clause value of official religious neutrality, there being no neutrality when the government’s ostensible object is to take sides.” McCreary Cnty., Kentucky v. ACLU of Kentucky, 545 U.S. 844, 860 (2005) (citation omitted). Under the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, meanwhile, a state may not deprive lesbian and gay citizens of “the protection of general laws and policies that prohibit arbitrary discrimination in governmental and private settings.” Romer v. Evans, 517 U.S. 620, 630 (1996).
HB 1523 grants special rights to citizens who hold one of three “sincerely held religious beliefs or moral convictions” reflecting disapproval of lesbian, gay, transgender, and unmarried persons. Miss. Laws 2016, HB 1523 § 2 (eff. July 1, 2016). That violates both the guarantee of religious neutrality and the promise of equal protection of the laws.
The Establishment Clause is violated because persons who hold contrary religious beliefs are unprotected – the State has put its thumb on the scale to favor some religious beliefs over others. Showing such favor tells “nonadherents that they are outsiders, not full members of the political community, and . . . adherents that they are insiders, favored members of the political community.” Santa Fe Indep. Sch. Dist. v. Doe, 530 U.S. 290, 309-10 (2000) (quotation marks and citation omitted). And the Equal Protection Clause is violated by HB 1523’s authorization of arbitrary discrimination against lesbian, gay, transgender, and unmarried persons.
“It is not within our constitutional tradition to enact laws of this sort.” Romer, 517 U.S. at 633.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

If I'm reading the article right, the child never -had- to apply, Minnesota law isn't very definite, but seems to agree that living on their own with no parental attempts to get them to return home after running away or being kicked out is sufficient.

http://www.lawhelpmn.org/files/1765CC5E-1EC9-4FC4-65EC-957272D8A04E/attachments/142FAC1B-D276-4E40-97D4-9662A7B0DE56/y-12-emancipation.pdf

It is, of course, going to be woefully expensive to prove, and all because a 17 year old is transistioning and the parent who abandoned them wants to put the brakes on. Case is, more than likely from what I can tell as a layperson, going to be dismissed anyway because by the time it comes to court the daughter will be of age and the mother's requests will be without merit.

You don't need a judge to declare it or something like that? Learn something new everyday.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

there wolf posted:

You don't need a judge to declare it or something like that? Learn something new everyday.

Varies heavily by state, naturally.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
NRO is now pondering the finer points about how jailing gays is actually Cool and Good.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/442333/what-judge-pryor-said#comments

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

quote:

“Petitioners’ protestations to the contrary notwithstanding, a constitutional right that protects ‘the choice of one’s partner’ and ‘whether and how to connect sexually’ must logically extend to activities like prostitution, adultery, necrophilia, bestiality, possession of child pornography, and even incest and pedophilia (if the child should credibly claim to be ‘willing’).” That sentence doesn’t equate these activities. In fact, it implies that the other activities are worse, or seem to be worse, than same-sex relations. He’s saying: If you accept a constitutional right to engage in same-sex sexual activities on the ground that there’s a right to choose “whether and how to connect sexually,” you are logically committing yourself to accepting these other things too.

I love how this guy thinks he's saying something new. No one ever argued anything to the contrary and this is basically legitimizing the ridiculous slippery slope argument of "if you legalize homosexuality where does it stop?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Can we all just lose our minds now?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...viser-has-said/

quote:

Ken Blackwell, tapped last week by President-elect Donald Trump to head domestic policy during the businessman's transition to the White House, has made anti-LGBT statements for years. Among them: Homosexuality is a sin, and gay people, just like petty thieves and fire-setters, can be rehabilitated.

The Ohio politician has long endorsed a controversial mental health practice known as conversion therapy or reparative therapy. The goal is to cure a person of his or her homosexuality, and in the case of transgender people, to reaffirm the gender into which they were born.

• Locked thread