Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Virginia is the ruler of special interest license plates.
http://www.dmv.org/va-virginia/special-license-plates.php

Confusing as hell when you see a VA tag with Penn State or Florida State University all over it.

I'm amused at the Texas plates with rival sports teams on them. Particularly OU. 'Course, there's no less that 4 each of UT and A&M, which is only to be expected.

The Door Frame posted:

All modern license plates are so cluttered and have too many colors. Isn't the whole purpose of a license plate to convey all of the identifying information of the car at a glance?

I'm pretty sure that's why TX went to the plain white with black lettering standard plate - to make it easier for the plate recognition systems adorning the roof of half the cop cars.

NoWake posted:

I pulled a legit '74 Ohio plate from my grandpa's garage & registered custom Ohio antique plates using the same numbers, took the registration sticker and put it in the correct spot. It looked great on my '74 VW until I blew the engine up.

I kept waiting to be pulled over for 'fictitious plates', though being on a classic car probably helped that along.

In TX, we're allowed to run year-of-issue plates if the car is registered as an antique (25 years old, basically.) I have 1970 blue on white TX plates for my Cutlass if it ever moves under its own power again.

Dagen H posted:

Ohio allows you to register antique cars using year-appropriate vintage plates.

Yeah, that. But TX.

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
All this license plate talk reminded me of the recent Michigan plates: http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2014/10/worlds_best_license_plate_quie.html

The old style was nice, but apparently too low-contrast for law enforcement.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Okay enough plate chat, jeez

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sir, I think you have the wrong thread. Thats pretty god damned awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Was hoping the glass would shatter into a million tiny cubes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Footage straight from New Zealand, taken yesterday evening.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Geoj posted:

And the two that proceeded it:

My North Carolina tag would like a word with your friends here :colbert:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

How do you hear them? If it's flexing metal, wouldn't your ears kinda pop?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

I need to know more!

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

GutBomb posted:

I need to know more!

140+dB sound pressure level.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

wallaka posted:

140+dB sound pressure level.

They got to hear what that sounds like only once.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

How do you hear them? If it's flexing metal, wouldn't your ears kinda pop?

It's not really flexing the metal, the metal is vibrating and the camera is catching the image progressively from top to bottom, distorting the final image, it's called a rolling shutter artifact, here's a cool video showing it with a prop

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FCKGW posted:

In CA if your plate gets lost or mangled enough than that's it, even for vanity plates. So if you get rear ended and your plate gets ripped in half you lose those plates forever.

You sometimes see some real old vanity plates that are thrashed on newer cars because you can't get them replaced.

This is only true if you lose both.
You see the mangled plates because they'll be replaced with the ugly new plates rather than blue or sun rise plates or whatever.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Just another day in the life of an R56 Cooper S.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Megabound posted:

It's not really flexing the metal, the metal is vibrating and the camera is catching the image progressively from top to bottom, distorting the final image, it's called a rolling shutter artifact, here's a cool video showing it with a prop

Yup, cabin gain in cars is hilariously large because the amount of air sealed inside is relatively small. When you put large subs in capable of moving large amounts of air they kick and basically try to force air out of the car through any gaps it can find and doors/windows are usually the weakest link. ...but this now has me thinking, SPL drag cars should ideally be sealed as much as possible so every tiny amount of sound pressure gets fired into the mic taking the readings. I know people weld up doors and such but I'm wondering how many people go to the trouble of blocking off the HVAC completely.

Add in a crap camera and you get this effect,

donut
Feb 4, 2001

FCKGW posted:

In CA if your plate gets lost or mangled enough than that's it, even for vanity plates. So if you get rear ended and your plate gets ripped in half you lose those plates forever.

You sometimes see some real old vanity plates that are thrashed on newer cars because you can't get them replaced.
There must be some ways around this because my dad got CA plates with our 7-letter last name on them sometime in the 70s (whenever blue plates were the norm) for his Austin-Healey. Sometime in the early 90s he sold that car, and got new vanity plates in the current script-California style and put them on my mom's car. He still has the old blue ones too. May have involved a lot of paperwork, but my dad's a real by-the-book guy so he would have dealt with it if he had to.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ludicro posted:

Just another day in the life of an R56 Cooper S.

Eh, that's usual British build quality

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
more like bmw oil leak engineering

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BraveUlysses posted:

more like bmw oil leak anti-corrosion engineering

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They need to get on Fiat's level. I had a sump develop a rust hole on a Panda, yes, below the oil level. No-one knows rust like the Italians.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

They need to get on Fiat's level. I had a sump develop a rust hole on a Panda, yes, below the oil level. No-one knows rust like the Italians.

Eh, Volkswagens have done that since the dawn of time. I remember hanging out in high school watching my buddy try to learn to weld for the first time on an oil-contaminated mk3 Jetta sump.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Famous potatoes.

Jesus Christ.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honda fit with Si badges and a III% window sticker

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yup, cabin gain in cars is hilariously large because the amount of air sealed inside is relatively small.

This is why the single 12" Sub and 2 6x9" two-way's +300 watt amp the PO threw in my Justy sound :krad:

I don't normally listen to music on my 12 minute commute, but sometimes when something good comes on I'll totally crank it for no reason.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

BraveUlysses posted:

more like bmw oil leak engineering

Superior Bavarian gaskets my friend.

Actually to be fair the car is a couple of months shy of being 10 years old and all I'm really doing is replacing gaskets at this point which doesn't seem too unreasonable.I think this is mainly because 90% of explodey bits were replaced well before I got the car, I should find the list and post it actually, its comically long for the first 3 years of its life.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

We have literally nothing else. Well, homophobic, gay senators, too. But "FAMOUS LARRY CRAIG" doesn't have the same ring.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

We have literally nothing else. Well, homophobic, gay senators, too. But "FAMOUS LARRY CRAIG" doesn't have the same ring.

I think CA should have a FAMOUS ROY ASHBURN but people around here have no sense of humor about anything anymore.

And to be fair, good potatoes are worth getting pretty excited about.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

No god themed vanity plate? 7/10

Also "Honk love God's if you not Jesus Dead"

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
DON'T JESUS
HONK INSIDE

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=415Zv9JH4uU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That car should be given an unroadworthy certificate for all that dumb poo poo obscuring the rear window

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jesus that's ugly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

On behalf of sane Texans (?), I apologize.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

You Am I posted:

That car should be given an unroadworthy certificate for all that dumb poo poo obscuring the rear window

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Scruff McGruff posted:

Also "Honk love God's if you not Jesus Dead"
Sounds like a threat

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slidebite posted:

Sounds like a threat
It's not that bad a threat. I mean, he got better the last time someone tried it.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

You Am I posted:

Joke's on you. There is no legal requirement to be able to see out the back of the vehicle here. Fully opaque tailgates are A-OK.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262721436795

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's loving rad.