Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Le Saboteur posted:

The talk on how elite liberals just ignore the white working class is really good on the new premium Chapo episode.

Aren't they more accurately saying that we need to focus on working class, not necessarily white working class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There's a bit of a light schism going on Chapo and the folk around them about that, so I'm not surprised there was a mild "White Working Class" vs "Working Class" with C.KilPatrick on mic.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

uh i'm not seeing much of a schism fam

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

BBJoey posted:

uh i'm not seeing much of a schism fam

Die, revisionist scum

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

Abortion has always been a proxy for women's liberation. Those voters aren't turning into liberals once Roe is overturned.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it started out as a proxy for segregation

:) the bible says to feed and clothe the poor, pretty obvious that they've been waiting their whole lives to do that and just have been so sad that they haven't been able to do so thanks to this one, specific matter of doctrine that was more or less invented in the colonial era. :)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

Die, revisionist scum

wow, trotskyists in my menchies, really cool :rolleyes:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

HolePisser1982 posted:

Die, revisionist scum

Speaking of which, did anyone go back and see if they gaslighted us as promised?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kunster posted:

There's a bit of a light schism going on Chapo and the folk around them about that, so I'm not surprised there was a mild "White Working Class" vs "Working Class" with C.KilPatrick on mic.

I think I need to give it a relisten, but I thought they generally agreed with each other?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Like i said, can't listen to it. Based this on discussions on twitter from when folk were still figuring out after the election. Glad to know they figured stuff out on that cast tho.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Have they ever talked about Cenk Uygar denying the Armenian Genocide on the show?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Have they ever talked about Cenk Uygar denying the Armenian Genocide on the show?

Why would they? That is like, forever ago, and he changed his mind and apologized. Dig enough on anyone and you'll find something dumb they said or thought. He runs a good, honest business and actually gets involved, unlike a lot of ironybois (@PissPigGranddad being the best and most extreme example). You may not like him, but he has done more to broadcast leftist views than anyone. The left needs a loudmouth.

I have no idea what Chapo or leftist Twitter does to get invovled locally in politics, but they honestly should, or at least push people towards doing so. There will never be a better time.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I've got nothing against Cenk I was just wondering. I guess it wouldn't really be their style anyway since they usually target "professional class" pundits.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

CortezFantastic posted:

Why would they? That is like, forever ago, and he changed his mind and apologized. Dig enough on anyone and you'll find something dumb they said or thought. He runs a good, honest business and actually gets involved, unlike a lot of ironybois (@PissPigGranddad being the best and most extreme example). You may not like him, but he has done more to broadcast leftist views than anyone. The left needs a loudmouth.

I have no idea what Chapo or leftist Twitter does to get invovled locally in politics, but they honestly should, or at least push people towards doing so. There will never be a better time.

I know a lot of people who have joined the DSA (or even started DSA chapters) because of Chapo

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I know a lot of people who have joined the DSA (or even started DSA chapters) because of Chapo

I am one, also

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

They only mentioned The Young Turks once when they were beating them on Itunes. "There can be only one Turk based podcast." Other than that, no.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

They mentioned him fairly early on, but I'd like them to have @dankmtl to talk Armenia sometime.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I really hope the guys do more video work in the near future because as funny as it looks (Felix really stealin' that Valor) I don't think I could live through election night again. It'd be like watching Tim and Eric riff over coverage of 9/11.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
cenk uyghur is somewhat constrained in how much he can acknowledge the armenian genocide anyway; he still has family in turkey and probably likes to visit from time to time. if he full on went out and said "the ottomans did the genocide, they killed millions" then his family would almost certainly face official harassment and he might be in legal trouble in turkey whenever he goes back

"i was wrong to deny it, but who can realy say what happened" is some weaksauce poo poo but understandable in his specific context imo

anyway excited to listen to the new episode later tonight

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Swan Oat posted:

cenk uyghur is somewhat constrained in how much he can acknowledge the armenian genocide anyway; he still has family in turkey and probably likes to visit from time to time. if he full on went out and said "the ottomans did the genocide, they killed millions" then his family would almost certainly face official harassment and he might be in legal trouble in turkey whenever he goes back

"i was wrong to deny it, but who can realy say what happened" is some weaksauce poo poo but understandable in his specific context imo

That's very interesting, I did not know that

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

The Lohan-Kardashian fight over the Armenian genocide will be the most shockingly substantial celebrity feud.

"Really, Lindsey, it's just, like, totally sad to hear you rely so heavily on Justin McCarthy's shoddy demograhic work."

Lindsay's new accent is pretty funny.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2016/nov/04/listen-to-lindsay-lohans-new-accent-video

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Swan Oat posted:

Weren't the Young Turks also the group that led the genocide? Maybe naming the show after them wasn't the best of ideas.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 18, 2016

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Swan Oat posted:

How do you know an episode's coming out?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Civilized Fishbot posted:

How do you know an episode's coming out?

If you are a subscriber you get a link for the Premium RSS to add to your podcast app.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

You'll also get an email from patreon.

@bro_pair is a good rear end writer goddamn https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/11/donald-trump-election-hillary-clinton-election-night-inequality-republicans-trumpism/

I'm listening to the episode where they had him on to talk about the convention.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

just saw a few days ago Virgil fired a couple shots at The New Inquiry and Ayesha Siddiqi.

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/799085304460300288
https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/799085859547082752

whoa

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The New Inquiry sucks colossal rear end. Far and away the shittiest of the left wing publications.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

GalacticAcid posted:

The New Inquiry sucks colossal rear end. Far and away the shittiest of the left wing publications.

you know it's funny I never read it, but I just kinda vaguely assumed it was ok for reasons that I think, in retrospect, were because of the insidious virus called "branding"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mr. Lobe posted:

you know it's funny I never read it, but I just kinda vaguely assumed it was ok for reasons that I think, in retrospect, were because of the insidious virus called "branding"

(It's real.)

They did publish this Bijan Stephen essay about Kanye that I enjoyed but yeah for the most part it's a trash rag.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

If memory serves The New Inquiry is the place that once devoted an entire "issue" to how much they were obsessed with/analysis of Lana Del Rey. Which don't get me wrong, I enjoy her music, but that's just some bullshit.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I found gently caress The New Inquiry, And Other Tales to be a good writeup on why TNI isn't particularly worth anyone's time.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Speaking of which, I made a thread about periodicals a while back. Feel free to jump in and poo poo on the New Inquiry so I'm not the only one posting there.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
TNI was part of what got me on the leftist side from liberalism but really only because i'm a weak ex-theater kid idiot who needed to be slowly weaned off of cultural analysis as my only engagement with marxist and feminist theory.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Odobenidae posted:

I found gently caress The New Inquiry, And Other Tales to be a good writeup on why TNI isn't particularly worth anyone's time.

This owns, is this the LF life raft?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, it's not bad considering you get free, transcribed, Chapo Premium with your account.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Our favorite large sons got written up in the New Yorker.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/persons-of-interest/what-will-become-of-the-dirtbag-left

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

the failson daily heil host must love this (not mad and actually laughing)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Jia Tolentino owns. Please read her essay "No Offense" about politics and the internet outrage machine.

quote:

There is an extremely bad undercurrent in this delicate line of thinking that suggests that women are both weak and precious enough to require this—that (unless we are bad feminists, of course) we should be theoretically protected from harshness as a class. There is a growing inseparability between female narcissism and feminist liberation and female identity full stop; there is an idea that women and women’s bodies have to be sacred, treated worshipfully or never mentioned, in order to be worthwhile. There is an idea that every woman is vulnerable enough to be shamed by anything, and that she is also incapable of doing anything (except for being a bad feminist) that should cause her public shame.

It has been interesting to negotiate this editorially. I am overwhelmed with the sense sometimes that what people want from a feminist website is what we seem to want from women generally, what women have learned to want from themselves: a trick mirror that carries the illusion of flawlessness as well as the self-flagellating option of constantly finding fault.

What I want, in front of this mirror, is a de-escalated agenda. I want to see my flaws as they are, no more, no less. I could stand to care a little more when people disapprove of Jezebel, or, more specifically, to believe that my words and choices signify more than I want them to. I wonder sometimes if—in what I think is a sincere political desire to decouple consensus and representation, to detach both obligations from the feminist writer—I am doing exactly what bothers me most in other people: going out of my way to justify whatever I find personally pleasing, acting in extreme self-interest under the rough cloak of social good.

I wonder, I really do, if I’m shirking some basic editorial accountability under the belief that feminism’s relationship to offense is changing—that it has changed significantly already—as well as the sense, despite what is suggested to me, that there are other things to worry about other than getting caught on the wrong side. I think it’s fine when people get offended at this website; I think it’s fine that I tend to disagree. I don’t know if that’s the same thing as believing that the only person who will ever perfectly agree with my politics is me.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

the failson daily heil host must love this (not mad and actually laughing)

Chapo steals valor YET AGAIN

https://twitter.com/epitasis/status/799743758287810560

Also pretty interesting to read about the post election episode from the viewpoint of somebody in the room when it happened!

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 18, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fixed that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Odobenidae posted:

Yeah, it's not bad considering you get free, transcribed, Chapo Premium with your account.

rhizzone is a forum full of fishmechs, including actual fishmech

Corek fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 19, 2016