Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

They really should do the high middle ages into the early modern, just because a tercio done in total war would be the coolest drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Funky Valentine posted:

Total War: Native America

They kind of did this in an expansion to Empire.

Anyway, is there any indication the AI WElves can build the tree? Can they win that way? In fact, is the AI capable of winning campaigns by meeting their objectives, or do they just win by beating the player?

ed: Bronze Age TW. It's got variety, it's got room for creativity, it's got a world-ending threat to survive.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 17, 2016

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

xthetenth posted:

They really should do the high middle ages into the early modern, just because a tercio done in total war would be the coolest drat thing.

Actually now that you mention it...

They said in the article it's an era they have never done before. Medieval 2 has unlimited turns, but I think the technology progress ends somewhere in the early 15th century. Empire - Total War begins in 1700.

So this could be a setting somewhere between 1450 - 1700.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Pike and shot? I could get behind that.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Three Kingdoms China would be great. I'd like either Romance of the Three Kingdoms or a more historically accurate take on it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Re: Next Warhammer game.

One thing I picked up from the various interviews in the last week or so is that CA considers Wood Elfs to be the biggest expansion they are adding to the first game, but there is more stuff coming. So pretty much I don't expect any more major races to be added at this point, just more Lords/units/heroes/subfactions whatever. And Brets, of course. It'll be interesting to see what they have planned for the first couple months of 2017.

Also confirmation from somewhere that the second game will also have Four Main Races, (As big or bigger than the first game) so High Elves/Dark Elves/Lizardmen/Skaven seems like pretty much a lock.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Kinda wish they released with 3 LL, specifically Ariel. Would have been a nice place to put in a woman LL.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

dtkozl posted:

Kinda wish they released with 3 LL, specifically Ariel. Would have been a nice place to put in a woman LL.

Any non-monstrous LL would've been nice.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

dtkozl posted:

Yeah. I guess the good news is that the inevitable third LL will almost certainly be one of Ariel, the Twins, or Drycha, so they should really be getting a woman LL eventually.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

sassassin posted:

Any non-monstrous LL would've been nice.

It will be interesting to see how the Sisters of Twilight are eventually implemented.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Total War: Egypt

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

dtkozl posted:

Particularly since WE seem to be the first faction that have non-hero women in their armies. At least we know that the Fay Enchantress will be a LL, so we will get at least one by February.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

If the Waywatchers don't constantly deride everyone as "lumberfoots" I will riot. After I murder them all.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gonkish posted:

If the Waywatchers don't constantly deride everyone as "lumberfoots" I will riot. After I murder them all.

I don't know this meme.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

sassassin posted:

I don't know this meme.

I dunno if it's a "meme" but it's one of the waywatcher's many insults towards her non-elf party members in Vermintide

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
It's a shame they can't have crossover between Vermintide and TW. Being able to hire those characters as heroes in TW would be pretty great.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

fnordcircle posted:

It's a shame they can't have crossover between Vermintide and TW. Being able to hire those characters as heroes in TW would be pretty great.

The Waywatcher would need to have 100% of her hagbane arrows hit friendly targets if any are in a 120 degree arc in front of her for an authentic cross over experience

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

Actually now that you mention it...

They said in the article it's an era they have never done before. Medieval 2 has unlimited turns, but I think the technology progress ends somewhere in the early 15th century. Empire - Total War begins in 1700.

So this could be a setting somewhere between 1450 - 1700.

I would be guessing at 17th century Europe, with a focus on the religious wars and particularly the 30 years war would be a very likely one. You'd have a period that saw a lot of warfare, quite alot of innovation in warfare, especially when it comes to field artillery, and you'd have somewhat good variety in armies, from Western and Central European pike and shot armies, to cavalry-heavy Polish and Hungarian armies, and particularly in the Polish case they would look magnificent with Sarmatianism being all the rage at the time, pre-Westernized Russia and the Ottoman Empire (siege of Vienna in 1571) would also be players on the stage for a quite different experience as far as both army roster, strategy and overall playstyle would go.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Total War: Warhammer 40,000

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Periphery posted:

Kinda handled by Dawn of War but i wouldn't mind some competition for Relic at this point!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Periphery posted:

Ugh, no. 40k follows a completely different system than Fantasy does. The Total War engine starts to break down when you get to Napoleon's line infantry and artillery. How would it possibly represent the small squad-based formations in 40k? How would it handle transport vehicles or tanks? In fantasy, a steam tank can still be hurt by goblins with spears (I don't recommend it, but it can). In 40k, no amount of lasguns will even scratch a Rhino, let alone a Predator. And then you have differences in scale. Fantasy has giants fighting infantry, sure, but Knights and TItans are much much bigger than that.

Overall, I'd rather see a good Dawn of War game come out than trying to shoehorn in 40k to the Total War engine

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kaza42 posted:

Overall, I'd rather see a good Dawn of War game come out than trying to shoehorn in 40k to the Total War engine
Well, have I got good bad news for you.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I know it will never happen, but I would kill for a Total War: One Year War.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Total War: The Great Emu War

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Periphery posted:

You'd need maps that are comparable to the scope of Supreme Commander for this to work well, with planetary system being the overland map.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Periphery posted:

Total War: The Great Emu War

Problem is Emus win every time under any sane balance.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Periphery posted:

Total War: Warhammer 2: Warhammer 40,000: Retaliation

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Total War: Age of Sigmar.

Don't bother with market research, I'm sure the fans will love it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I hope it's going to be Three Kingdoms China, that'd be sick, and I think there's plenty of appeal for that type of game even in Euro/North American markets. Dynasty warriors is super popular, for example. Early modern or bronze age would be cool too, though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Periphery posted:

It should be Wargame: 40k if there's any justice in this world.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I really want them to make a real-time strat map ala Hearts of Iron

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Ammanas posted:

I really want them to make a real-time strat map ala Hearts of Iron

Plus the diplomacy from EU IV.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
ACW is one of the most popular time periods for historical games, plus they have all the mechanics for it ready to go - easy money. They would be mad not to do it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
On that note: the darthmod guy released the followup to Ultimate General: Gettysburg today, which will eventually cover the entire ACW (it's in early-access).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

ACW is one of the most popular time periods for historical games, plus they have all the mechanics for it ready to go - easy money. They would be mad not to do it.

Basically only two sides to that one might make it less suited, unless they do stuff like portray pre- and post-civil war as well in which case you could have the Mexican war, various Indian wars, and maybe some ahistorical shenanigans with British Canada or maybe European powers like France or Germany (as per the Kaiser's outlandish ambitions to invade the American east coast drawn up in the 1890s) trying to get a slice of the Americas.

It might also be cool to build it up as a two-player multiplayer game though with basically just the two sides and the focus almost entirely on warfare and internal politics and economics for each side.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

V for Vegas posted:

They really gotta adapt the campaign map for that though. Zones of control, supply, fortifications....and so on.

Otherwise the game would be over quickly if the Confederate player keeps pushing towards Washington after winning at Bull Run.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

You must keep in mind that nobody outside America gives a drat about ACW. IMO they should just go full fantasy or scy-fi and forget historical simulations. Look how much more fun their game instantly became when they are not constrained by "realism" and have ridiculous units, monsters and magic.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I'm impressed with how they're implementing the Wood Elves. They are such an insular faction, I like the idea that their campaign goal is to defend the forest (requiring some expansion into neighbouring territories). It will make them play differently to the conquest-focused campaigns of the other races.
I can see them doing something similar for Tomb kings, where the goal is to reunite Nehekhara, fend off intrusions by crusaders/treasure seekers and for the final victory defend the realm against the followers of Nagash(?)

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

If I were implementing Tomb Kings, I'd guess at something like:

Reunite Nehekhara
Retrieve the relics (randomly seeded in n provinces on the campaign map, more and further away on harder difficulties). Make them magic items which can either be stored in pyramids or equipped on lords - so you have a choice between using them and risk losing them or hiding them but getting no benefit.
Destroy Araby/Bretonnia or sub faction/Vampires or sub faction.

• Locked thread