Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Renegade Open stars tomorrow. Any of you goons gonna be there? (Other than Naramyth of course.)

I'll be rocking 4 hive Tyrants. Will be content with a .500 record at the end of it. Just gonna chill, have some beers and roll some dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

SRM posted:

The General's Handbook is what got me interested in actually playing AoS and I'm glad I've finally gotten to give it a shot. I had a really fun first game and I'm stoked to play more.

This looks pretty fuckin cool. I'm looking forward to seeing final gameplay from people better at the game. The only thing that really threw me off was that left hook with a narthecium to heal dudes.

Seriously cannot wait... that video got me even more excited for it. 3 of us were standing around my computer at work watching it...

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

BULBASAUR posted:

I hope they just listen to the right people, if you know what I mean. Customer feedback is important, but typically your vocal minority isn't representative of the larger group. The flip side is totally true. If you develop your game in a bubble you'll get some interesting results.

That's my concern also. They've been listening to the Heelenhammer podcast guy, among others, and his views are a little weird. I think they are trying to do something different, but I think they are also still in the bubble.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
While backing themselves into an echo-chamber is a worry, the last year or so has made me rather hopeful for GW. I don't think we'll see situations like Mantic's Rule committee and Alessio.

By the way, whatever happened to that AoS thread people were musing about a couple of months back? It'd be nice to discuss AoS in a reasonably sane enviroment.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

SteelMentor posted:

While backing themselves into an echo-chamber is a worry, the last year or so has made me rather hopeful for GW. I don't think we'll see situations like Mantic's Rule committee and Alessio.

By the way, whatever happened to that AoS thread people were musing about a couple of months back? It'd be nice to discuss AoS in a reasonably sane enviroment.

I want to make one, but a good OP is a bunch of work. I'll go ahead and start on it tonight, though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
As an Elite: Dangerous player I can confirm that listening to the most vocal fans of the game is the best way to proceed. They're always right and everything implemented based on their feedback is great. From gods lips to developers ears.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Master Twig posted:

Renegade Open stars tomorrow. Any of you goons gonna be there? (Other than Naramyth of course.)

I'll be rocking 4 hive Tyrants. Will be content with a .500 record at the end of it. Just gonna chill, have some beers and roll some dice.

FITE ME

(please dont, I can't handle 4 flyrants)

I'll be there with seven other Warhogs. I have my Raptors Battle Company with my secret sauce sternguard/kittikatii kaptain drop. I can't wait to have kill points be played against me for 6 games.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GreenMarine posted:

I want to make one, but a good OP is a bunch of work. I'll go ahead and start on it tonight, though.

Thanks! I'd love to post in a good AOS thread but I don't know enough about the game or setting to make an OP.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SRM posted:

Thanks! I'd love to post in a good AOS thread but I don't know enough about the game or setting to make an OP.

Same here

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Glad I picked up a finecast Ahriman a few weeks back; looks like he's "no longer available" on the GW store. (Not 'temporarily out of stock') Plastic Ahriman and 1k sons are coming! :)

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not really? GW has never really listened to its community prior to the new CEO. Like Bulbasaur said though, design by forum twits is not the way to go though.

Listening to the community, no. But releasing a new game with massively incomplete rules with tons of obvious oversight for competitive play, which then has to be immediately resolved with a new rulebook (that you have to pay for) is extremely GW.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still don't even know what Realms are

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

Glad I picked up a finecast Ahriman a few weeks back; looks like he's "no longer available" on the GW store. (Not 'temporarily out of stock') Plastic Ahriman and 1k sons are coming! :)

Listening to the community, no. But releasing a new game with massively incomplete rules with tons of obvious oversight for competitive play, which then has to be immediately resolved with a new rulebook (that you have to pay for) is extremely GW.

They've been decent about breaking out unique models from their board game releases, haven't they?

AoS release was a mess but at least people hadn't paid for an initial rules release that was obsolesced and the handbook isn't that expensive.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Guy Goodbody posted:

I still don't even know what Realms are

I could write a brief lore primer thing, I'm not particularly good at writing, but I am good at regurgitating useless nerd lore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GreenMarine posted:

Just do what I do when I start a thread; open the thread already because people want to talk about it, post some basic info, and then just go back and edit your OP post a few times over the first few days to add info and pretty it up. You can edit OP posts :)

I'm admittedly becoming a little AOS-curious. I'd blown it off after all the bad reaction, but there's some skeleton sculpts there which look amazing. Dunno if I'd actually collect an army though.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I also want to play some AOS - if this weekend's rumour of Made to order demonettes comes true I'mma order a bunch of them and do a Slaanesh Daemon cohort.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Zaphod42 posted:

I applaud them for trying something different and attempting to break the mold. Was it 100% successful? Nope. However the Generals Handbook ($25 I might add... on top of already free rules) - is a huge step in self correction. Based on reaction in my gaming area, which is fairly large, AoS is definitely picking up speed. More people are giving it a try, and many are liking it.

I have to imagine this is a good move from the companies perspective as well. People who were no longer buying fantasy models, or people who were never going to get into Warhammer Fantasy, are now giving it a try due to the low barrier of entry. Man I wish we could see the numbers around it in terms of sales...

As you say below...

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm admittedly becoming a little AOS-curious. I'd blown it off after all the bad reaction, but there's some skeleton sculpts there which look amazing. Dunno if I'd actually collect an army though.

That's how it starts....

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Ghost Hand posted:

That's how it starts....

...listening to an IC's Show of Force episode. I found my self eyeballing the models , thinking to myself "I could just get some for a Kill Team".

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Hand posted:

I applaud them for trying something different and attempting to break the mold. Was it 100% successful? Nope. However the Generals Handbook ($25 I might add... on top of already free rules) - is a huge step in self correction. Based on reaction in my gaming area, which is fairly large, AoS is definitely picking up speed. More people are giving it a try, and many are liking it.

I have to imagine this is a good move from the companies perspective as well. People who were no longer buying fantasy models, or people who were never going to get into Warhammer Fantasy, are now giving it a try due to the low barrier of entry. Man I wish we could see the numbers around it in terms of sales...
It's all been said before, but GW could've made a skirmish game with the AoS ruleset while still maintaining WHFB and its world. I'm not going to touch on said ruleset in this post because that's not my aim here and it's been done enough. A skirmish offshoot that offers a lower barrier of entry is a good idea. I'm not going to dispute that. It would have been a great way to get people interested in the main game while offering lighter fare. I also agree that WHFB had become bloated and needed a shake-up. Kill off some characters, prune the setting some, sure, but it didn't need to be completely destroyed and replaced.

8th edition wasn't the best, as we know, and was, honestly, poorly supported from the start. It was released July 2010 and did not receive its first army book until March 2011. As a contrast, 40k 7th edition released May 2014 and Orks received a new codex June 2014. Space Wolves and Grey Knights followed shortly after in August 2014. 6th edition 40k was released June 2012 and Chaos Marines followed in October 2012. That's a decent delay, but nothing compared to WHFB 8th. What about WHFB 7th edition? Released September 2006 and its first army book, Orcs and Goblins, came out in October 2006. 8th performing poorly was a self-fulfilling prophecy with support like that. It was, however, perfectly salvageable with some changes. The game had started to show signs of life near the end, but then End Times hit. Dwarfs and Wood Elves were both solid releases with decent model support. I started a brand new Dwarf army as a result. Hell, I'll happily grant that the Nagash book was interesting (I even expanded my Vampire Counts) and people were excited about what might follow. They were expecting a 9th edition. They were even analyzing the statlines in the End Times books for hints of what 9th edition may entail, like combined monster/rider profiles. GW did not communicate their intentions well enough (or at all) and the fanbase was justifiably angry over what happened.

Infuriatingly, from a business perspective, GW missed a perfect license tie-in opportunity with Total War Warhammer. Games like that take years, they knew it was coming. They could have released 9th edition this year before the game hit and had new rules and a starter set ready to go for fresh/old players lured into stores by pretty pixels. Instead, you have people wandering in and being told that that world has been replaced by a new setting and

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Safety Factor posted:

It's all been said before, but GW could've made a skirmish game with the AoS ruleset while still maintaining WHFB and its world. I'm not going to touch on said ruleset in this post because that's not my aim here and it's been done enough. A skirmish offshoot that offers a lower barrier of entry is a good idea. I'm not going to dispute that. It would have been a great way to get people interested in the main game while offering lighter fare. I also agree that WHFB had become bloated and needed a shake-up. Kill off some characters, prune the setting some, sure, but it didn't need to be completely destroyed and replaced.

8th edition wasn't the best, as we know, and was, honestly, poorly supported from the start. It was released July 2010 and did not receive its first army book until March 2011. As a contrast, 40k 7th edition released May 2014 and Orks received a new codex June 2014. Space Wolves and Grey Knights followed shortly after in August 2014. 6th edition 40k was released June 2012 and Chaos Marines followed in October 2012. That's a decent delay, but nothing compared to WHFB 8th. What about WHFB 7th edition? Released September 2006 and its first army book, Orcs and Goblins, came out in October 2006. 8th performing poorly was a self-fulfilling prophecy with support like that. It was, however, perfectly salvageable with some changes. The game had started to show signs of life near the end, but then End Times hit. Dwarfs and Wood Elves were both solid releases with decent model support. I started a brand new Dwarf army as a result. Hell, I'll happily grant that the Nagash book was interesting (I even expanded my Vampire Counts) and people were excited about what might follow. They were expecting a 9th edition. They were even analyzing the statlines in the End Times books for hints of what 9th edition may entail, like combined monster/rider profiles. GW did not communicate their intentions well enough (or at all) and the fanbase was justifiably angry over what happened.

Infuriatingly, from a business perspective, GW missed a perfect license tie-in opportunity with Total War Warhammer. Games like that take years, they knew it was coming. They could have released 9th edition this year before the game hit and had new rules and a starter set ready to go for fresh/old players lured into stores by pretty pixels. Instead, you have people wandering in and being told that that world has been replaced by a new setting and

I completely see what you are saying and, without the benefit of seeing sales numbers and knowing internally what is going on, I agree with the majority of it. I was never a fan of the Old World setting until playing Total War: Warhammer - then after watching the intro for each race I was like "Holy poo poo this is neat.....aaaaand it's gone."

I think SRM was saying his local group actually plays AOS in the Old World still.

It may have been he and I discussing what was expected. A "post apocalyptic" old world would have had a much stronger lore draw for me. I have a hard time getting behind the lore of AoS even though I think the game itself is actually pretty interesting. I'm curious to see how it develops. I have a feeling it wont be as stagnant as the previous world.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I was wondering how long it would be until the giant "I'm grumpy about AoS" posts began

Nice to see some people are having a good time with it. I'm tempted to start myself.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Naramyth posted:

FITE ME

(please dont, I can't handle 4 flyrants)

I'll be there with seven other Warhogs. I have my Raptors Battle Company with my secret sauce sternguard/kittikatii kaptain drop. I can't wait to have kill points be played against me for 6 games.

I have a feeling my success is going to be completely driven by my pairings. There are some lists that simply cannot deal with mine. There are other lists that my army cannot deal with. Should be interesting. I hope I get to play against at least one Warhog.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I did it. I painted some Warhammer 40,000 miniatures. My first ever attempt at painting minis. These are the dudes from the Space Marine + Paint set. The white and black paints in there were dry, some replacements are on their way from GW customer service but I got impatient. So I still need to come back and hit up the shoulder pad details with white and the gun side plates with black. I also got some silver and light blue in case I got ambitious and tried panel lining. Which I did, on the middle guy, to disastrous results.

please excuse cell phone camera

edit: also I built a Gundam

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Safety Factor posted:

In Memoriam WHFB

To be fair, in terms of communicating intentions to their base, it was called "End Times" not "Things are gonna be fine and basically the same Times"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Master Twig posted:

I have a feeling my success is going to be completely driven by my pairings. There are some lists that simply cannot deal with mine. There are other lists that my army cannot deal with.
That right there is what we call a "Bad Game (tm)."

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
God I love this hobby

:godwinning:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

mango sentinel posted:

To be fair, in terms of communicating intentions to their base, it was called "End Times" not "Things are gonna be fine and basically the same Times"

GW has been pulling that for about a decade in 40k too, people didn't expect them to actually follow through and 'rocks fall everyone dies' fantasy.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I did it. I painted some Warhammer 40,000 miniatures. My first ever attempt at painting minis. These are the dudes from the Space Marine + Paint set. The white and black paints in there were dry, some replacements are on their way from GW customer service but I got impatient. So I still need to come back and hit up the shoulder pad details with white and the gun side plates with black. I also got some silver and light blue in case I got ambitious and tried panel lining. Which I did, on the middle guy, to disastrous results.

please excuse cell phone camera

edit: also I built a Gundam

Looking pretty good for a first stab! Not much I can point out before you finish (white/black are pretty important for shading and details if you dont have a million paint shades), but you already passed the first painting mistake (painting out of the tube/bottle/por), so kudos.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

adamantium|wang posted:

God I love this hobby

Oh hey what a coincidence, stumbled across this article about this kinda poo poo in the 40k fandom not an hour ago.

http://www.themarysue.com/warhammer-40k-fandom-fascism/

tl;dr: Fascists are super bad at basic Critical Theory/Thought. Like, really bad.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
So I'm working on my board, needs paint, buildings need finishing off. But what should I do about the road in the middle of the mat?

How do I avoid making it a killing zone? What would be appropriate cover? I could put some ruined vehicles, but that gets expensive in terms of bang for buck. I like the mat, so I don't want to get another. But a building would look wrong on a road. Thoughts?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milotic posted:

So I'm working on my board, needs paint, buildings need finishing off. But what should I do about the road in the middle of the mat?

How do I avoid making it a killing zone? What would be appropriate cover? I could put some ruined vehicles, but that gets expensive in terms of bang for buck. I like the mat, so I don't want to get another. But a building would look wrong on a road. Thoughts?

Maybe a median with some statues or trees? Or a collapsed pedestrian bridge?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Milotic posted:

road blocks, hovercars (cheap 80's-looking model cars -> remove wheels -> styrene over the wheel space), some sort of rally-esque mobile podium, meteor/desolate ork vessel, building that has fallen over into the road

Hope any of that helps.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Make a building that's collapsed sideways onto the road.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Guy Goodbody posted:

Maybe a median with some statues or trees? Or a collapsed pedestrian bridge?

I think I get what you mean, but what's a median (outside of statistics)? I like the idea of a collapsed bridge. I guess I could always put a couple of non ruined Rockgrinder / Goliaths - expensive but they're industrial looking. Nice ideas thanks!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Tank traps, barbed wire and sandbags. Classic, but easy to make/buy and effective as terrain.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milotic posted:

I think I get what you mean, but what's a median (outside of statistics)? I like the idea of a collapsed bridge. I guess I could always put a couple of non ruined Rockgrinder / Goliaths - expensive but they're industrial looking. Nice ideas thanks!

A thing in the middle of the road separating the different directions of traffic

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
In a similar vein to that, perhaps a set of the Promethium pipes set down the centre of the road?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SteelMentor posted:

In a similar vein to that, perhaps a set of the Promethium pipes set down the centre of the road?

Or add some tracks down the middle and put a streetcar on them. Or a derailed street car lying across the road

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
parade floats

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

adamantium|wang posted:

God I love this hobby

Noooooo Luke, turn left!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Hey y'all I've been shunning GW for a while now, but I went in to a shop to get some washes and heard about the new boss. And saw some blood bowl action. What's the general state of 40k? I'm also going to adepticon to play for the first time, I might be open to doing some skirmish sized stuff with BA (mostly I'm going for other games).

I know this quote is old but is BA still in the same rut? I played in one tourney 2 years ago with these changes and immediately started in on historicals.

Recoome posted:

Wow. I had low expectations, but they took it even further then I had imagined.
No more DC in troops.
No more 11 Dreads in one FOC. (Maximum of 5 now)
No more Baal predators in fast.
No more Land Raider dedicated transports for everyone.
No Sanguiniary Priest in Elite or in terminator armour.
No Sanguiniary Guard in troops.

No freaking assault marines in troops. The main thing that made me choose BA is now gone. Wow.
I didn't expect most of these to remain mind you, but holy crap.

That is a lot of armies that just went poof.

Bloated Elite, Fast and Heavy in one fell swoop.

Anyway the shop guy didn't pressure me, that was a nice change.

• Locked thread