Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Why is Yoda a pilot, but Luke freaking Skywalker isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
A lot of that list doesn't make sense. Wtf does Kylo Ren have to do with ships?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

UmOk posted:

A lot of that list doesn't make sense. Wtf does Kylo Ren have to do with ships?

We can assume from episode 7 that he's a pilot. His grandfather is Anakin and his father is Han Solo...you can bet they taught him how to fly a ship.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Why is Yoda a pilot, but Luke freaking Skywalker isn't?

Don't forget that things always change from first data dump to release. I doubt they'll remove any of those pilots, but they will add a whole bunch.

Keas
Feb 14, 2013
Any chance I could use someone's Palpatine? Level 40 and could really use the help with DS missions. 659-553-921 (Benny311) or give me your code and I'll add you.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I arranged the pilots by faction for interest's sake. Some factions a lot less represented than I'd expect, others far more (Separatist?)

Resistance
Resistance Pilot
Poe

First Order
First Order Tie Pilot
Kylo Ren

Empire
Tie Fighter Pilot

Jedi
Ahsoka Tano
Jedi Knight Anakin
Plo Koon
Yoda
Jedi Consular

Clone
Rex
Clone Sergeant Phase One

Scoundrel
Boba Fett
Cad Bane
Nute Gunray

Separatist
Geonosian Soldier
Sun Fac
Geonosian Spy
Nute Gunray

Rebel
Bistan
Biggs
Wedge

Sith
Darth Maul

Notable missing characters:

Han
Luke
Lando
Rey

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

Keas posted:

Any chance I could use someone's Palpatine? Level 40 and could really use the help with DS missions. 659-553-921 (Benny311) or give me your code and I'll add you.

If you use someone's character and want to use it again, enter a daily challenge and then retreat -- it will reset your ally list. Super useful!

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Keas posted:

Sure, just added you. To reset it, you have to use the gear challenge (e.g. str/int/agi)...for whatever reason it refreshes your ally list.

Vulpes posted:

:words:

Notable missing characters
Darth Vader

Fixed

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
If Vader isn't a pilot when the patch goes out then I bet they are holding off to release his TIE Advance as a special ship unit. Lando/Han could have a similar thing with the Millennium Falcon but I'm guessing they are just missing because it's incomplete.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
What about chewbacca and Dooku? They are literally shown piloting ships within the main series

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

UmOk posted:

What about chewbacca and Dooku? They are literally shown piloting ships within the main series

Not Clone Wars Chewbacca.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Jibo posted:

If Vader isn't a pilot when the patch goes out then I bet they are holding off to release his TIE Advance as a special ship unit. Lando/Han could have a similar thing with the Millennium Falcon but I'm guessing they are just missing because it's incomplete.

I took a look through the extracted data posted on reddit and there is a TIE Advanced. It doesn't specifically mention Vader, but who else flies one? So I think he is probably represented.

The Millennium Falcon is also mentioned in the context of EP7, so presumably it would be piloted by Rey.

The thing that I see missing is multi-crew ships. With one or two exceptions, all the ships are starfighters with presumably just a single crew member. The exceptions could be the Millennium Falcon, who might also use Finn (which would suck because I don't want to farm him) and Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle, which can clearly hold a bunch of people, though I'm not sure who would be actual crew, maybe the first order officer?

There are also a number of droid fighters, maybe they'll be NPCs?

Edit: Here's a link to the dump:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PJQ2FYduC3sS-J4bxt6VXZ3tpgRLEq-L1gqycjChcjg/edit

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Malgrin posted:

Go read the Thrawn Trilogy (AKA Heir to the Empire) by Timothy Zahn. It's not just a good Star Wars series, it's a really, really good series. It follows the main characters from 4/5/6 a few years after the end of 6. Grand Admiral Thrawn is the last of the Grand Admirals, a special class of Admiral, and the only alien to ever receive the title "Grand Admiral."

This. Just don't think too hard about his tactical brilliance gimmick :) Other than that though, they are extremely good.

Sadly, even though I sort of enjoyed Ep7, it was absolutely not what I wanted or imagined the next Star Wars movie would be :( I knew EU was going to be discarded but still...

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Field Mousepad posted:

And while we're on the subject of books read Shatterpoint. Mace owns and that book is the reason.

The same guy wrote the ROTS novelization, which is also surprisingly good. :toot:

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Didn't see the official announcement posted in the last couple pages, so here it is:

quote:

Greetings Holotable Heroes,
Ships will be arriving NEXT WEEK!

We’re planning on rolling out the update across November 22nd and 23rd. Some players will be able to manually update their game client on November 22nd, but everyone will be required to update to the latest game version on the 23rd. Please note that it may take up to 24 hours before the update is available in your region.
Now, we aren’t going to leave you with just the date of when you can expect Ships, we’re also going to share the entire list of Ships and their crew that will be available at launch!

Ships and Crew:
Slave I and Boba Fett
Ahsoka Tano’s Jedi Star Fighter and Ahsoka Tano
Imperial TIE Fighter and TIE Fighter Pilot
Umbaran Starfighter and Fives
Rex’s ARC-170 and Rex
First Order TIE Fighter and First order TIE Pilot
Biggs Darklight’s X-wing and Biggs Darklighter
Poe Dameron’s X-wing and Poe Dameron
Wedge Antilles’s X-wing and Wedge Antilles
Bistan’s U-wing and Bistan plus Scarif Rebel Pathfinder
Clone Sergeant’s ARC-170 and Clone Sergeant Phase I
Jedi Consular’s Star Fighter and Jedi Consular
Plo Koon’s Jedi Starfighter and Plo Koon
Resistance X-wing and Resistance Pilot
Geonosian Spy’s Starfighter and Geonosian Spy
Geonosian Soldier’s Starfighter and Geonosian Soldier
Sun Fac’s Starfighter and Sun Fac
Scimitar and Darth Maul
Millennium Falcon (Ep VII) and Rey plus Finn
Endurance and Mace Windu
Home One and Admiral Ackbar
Executrix and Grand Moff Tarkin

Soon after the initial launch there will be more ships coming, including Darth Vader in his TIE Advanced x1.

So now you know the Ships and their crew that will be available next week, but you may be wondering how you can get these Ships and their crew.
When the Ships update launches, you’ll be able to take part in a series of special (and free) Events that will reward the crew and their Ships so that you can take part in the new Ships combat. The first Event in this series will unlock at Player Level 25, and additional ones will unlock every few levels leading up to Player Level 60. If you’re already at Player Level 60 or above, you’ll be able to play through each of these Events sequentially.

The rewards listed below will be given incrementally as you progress in the Events. By the time you complete the series, you will have acquired each of these:

Crew / Ships
Resistance Pilot and Resistance X-wing
Jedi Consular and Jedi Consular’s Starfighter
Imperial TIE Pilot and Imperial TIE Fighter
Clone Sergeant Phase I and ARC-170
First Order TIE Pilot and First Order TIE Fighter
Fleet Commanders / Capital Ships
Admiral Ackbar and Home ONE
Grand Moff Tarkin and Executrix
Mace Windu and Endurance

See you on the starfield next week!

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Free Mace Windu? Well, that isn't bad. Maybe they've learned!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I wonder if I should stop spending arena tokens on Tarkin since it sounds like we're going to get character shards.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
LOL. The Executrix?

gently caress you, that can't be a real ship name.

Spakstik posted:

I wonder if I should stop spending arena tokens on Tarkin since it sounds like we're going to get character shards.

They won't be giving you 7* worth of shards, so unless you're already 6+, I'd say keep going.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 18, 2016

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Spakstik posted:

Tarkin is a 4*, which I think is 36 shards if they give you the whole character? Stop at 20/100 or 64/100.

Also:
The Carrion Spike suffered unknown damage after its abandonment, perhaps committed by the dissidents to keep the ship out of action. For the loss of his ship, the Empire gave Tarkin the Imperial-class Star Destroyer Executrix.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The Eliminatrix.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
My Tarkin can't wait to take on all the scum in the universe with his mighty fleet of TIE pilot and

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Neutron posted:

My Tarkin can't wait to take on all the scum in the universe with his mighty fleet of TIE pilot and

soon-to-be Darth Vader and...

Anyone else think they missed hard on having Darth Vader be the fleet commander in the Executor?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Nice, I've got ~300 Ackbar Shards. Glad I didn't spend more Arena points on him.

And looks like I'll be finishing off FOTP as well. Still gotta farm Lando though :v:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

soon-to-be Darth Vader and...

Anyone else think they missed hard on having Darth Vader be the fleet commander in the Executor?

Executor shards will be the reward for the heroic death star raid. Imagine the AAT raid but with quadruple the health.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
So how does it work, you have a team of up to 5 fighters and 1 capital ship leader? Is the capital ship playable or does it just gives bonuses and is not actually in the fight? And if you've mainly focused on droid characters and jawas do you just go gently caress yourself?

I guess they didn't include Vader as commander just yet cause that would kinda screw up the achievement rewards.

EDIT: Ok I found how it works. You get 4 fighters, and 1 fleet commander who can call reinforcements and special attacks, abilities, buff/debuffs etc. You can call up to 4 reinforcements during the battle. Sounds a little different to the ground battles.

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 18, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Disco De Soto posted:

So how does it work, you have a team of up to 5 fighters and 1 capital ship leader? Is the capital ship playable or does it just gives bonuses and is not actually in the fight? And if you've mainly focused on droid characters and jawas do you just go gently caress yourself?

I guess they didn't include Vader as commander just yet cause that would kinda screw up the achievement rewards.

Why yes. Yes you fuckin' do.

What's this about ships?

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
What's the conclusion on this squad tournament? I was saving ally points, assume I should spend them, what about GW points I saved? Last time I was able to get 4th because I"m lower level and people don't have their poo poo together. I'm guessing I could get 3rd if I use my GW points saved (~6-7k if you include through the end of the event), but because I'm so low level those GW points could go to a good home (Biggs/Teebo).

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Boozie posted:

What's the conclusion on this squad tournament? I was saving ally points, assume I should spend them, what about GW points I saved? Last time I was able to get 4th because I"m lower level and people don't have their poo poo together. I'm guessing I could get 3rd if I use my GW points saved (~6-7k if you include through the end of the event), but because I'm so low level those GW points could go to a good home (Biggs/Teebo).

Basically, the tournament rewards are so good that they're worth any amount of ally points you're able to spend. See how well you can do without cashing in your GW.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

Why yes. Yes you fuckin' do.

What's this about ships?

I guess this is what i'm looking for: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/IG-2000

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Boozie posted:

At level 80, the rewards are insanely good, at lower levels, they aren't quite as good, and you need somewhere in top 20 to top 5 to actually unlock a character. I would hold onto GW shards and see if you need the ally points.

I would recommend seeing if you can put together 2 competent teams for the tournament, teams that can take down most other teams without losing anyone. Each day, use AP to bring them up to about 500 refresh per character. If you're lagging behind where you want to be, you can go up to 1k/character (I think it stops going up there). If you only have one team that can take down other teams without losing anyone, just try to use about 1/3 of available AP each day (not current AP, but available by the end of the tournament) on that one squad.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
3rd place would have gotten me a 5 star last time, 4th got me a 4 star. Should I wait til later in the day to join the tournament? Will it group me based on when I'm in the game, or just based on when I actually set my defense?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Disco De Soto posted:

I guess this is what i'm looking for: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/IG-2000

I'm guessing Nute Gunray will be a commander eventually for the Trade Federation. Droids will likely receive a boost from him.

IG-2000 is definitely coming, don't worry your pretty little head about that. Maybe a 4-LOM/Zukkus Piloted Punishing One is in the cards.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Boozie posted:

3rd place would have gotten me a 5 star last time, 4th got me a 4 star. Should I wait til later in the day to join the tournament? Will it group me based on when I'm in the game, or just based on when I actually set my defense?

Unless I'm mistaken, you can't play until you set your defense, which is also when it groups you into a bracket. I would recommend later in the day, but at this point your guess is as good as mine. A lot of the best players have realized not to start in the first hour or so, but there'll probably be more lazy players later in the day than earlier in the day, so I really don't know. I think shards are going to be really random this time around.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Malgrin posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, you can't play until you set your defense, which is also when it groups you into a bracket. I would recommend later in the day, but at this point your guess is as good as mine. A lot of the best players have realized not to start in the first hour or so, but there'll probably be more lazy players later in the day than earlier in the day, so I really don't know. I think shards are going to be really random this time around.

I started mine like 10 hours after the start last time and my shard was still loving impossible to get sub-200 in.

I don't think the effect of joining late is going to be that obvious.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

I started mine like 10 hours after the start last time and my shard was still loving impossible to get sub-200 in.

I don't think the effect of joining late is going to be that obvious.

I think this will be really different for Sub 80 people versus level 80 people, but I could be wrong there. For the tournament, if you are level 80, expect the top 100 people to be running a top 5 arena team comp, e.g. Wiggs Lando, Rex Sun Fac, or EP Shoretrooper.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

I reapplied for QuiGoonJin so I can test out the new raid and this ship business.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
If I'm running STH/RG/Lando/QGJ/Biggs righrt now in arena do I want offense set or health sets on Biggs? I can't really put together anything good for crit damage yet.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Boozie posted:

If I'm running STH/RG/Lando/QGJ/Biggs righrt now in arena do I want offense set or health sets on Biggs? I can't really put together anything good for crit damage yet.

I would definitely try to get him a Speed arrow and a Crit damage triangle. Beyond that, it won't really matter that much. An offense set would be a little better, but health sets will be just fine too.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I often wonder about that.

Should everyone just be rocking health mods with the primary stat being the one you're targeting (ie potency/offence/etc), or do you need to actually stack potency mods?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

I often wonder about that.

Should everyone just be rocking health mods with the primary stat being the one you're targeting (ie potency/offence/etc), or do you need to actually stack potency mods?

It all really, really depends. For raid, I really recommend a combination of basically all the sets for what you need. Health is really good because healing matters in raids. Defense is really good for tanks cause they can soak up a lot of damage. Crit Damage or Offense are your best choices for your damage dealers (also flat offense secondaries). Crit chance is usually going to be your best second set. For some heroes (think Teebo), triple potency is the best bet. Sometimes a Speed set is better for DPS though.

For arena, you basically just want speed, Crit Damage, and then Crit chance. No one is building tenacity right now, and unless someone builds tenacity, you don't need much potency (they have to have 15% more tenacity than you do before it starts doing anything).

e: Also, people (myself included) have vastly underestimated offense set/mods. If you take someone with 100% crit, and let's say they do 10k damage on a normal hit. We'll say they have a crit damage mod, but no set, which puts them at 186% crit damage. So that puts them at always dealing 18,600 damage. If we add an offense set (10%) that's 11,000 * 1.86 = 20,460 damage now. If we add a Crit damage set (30%), that's now 10,000 * 2.16 = 21,600 damage, and that's with 100% crit percent. Looking at 25, 50, and 75%, you get 12900, 15800, and 18700 average damage. With an offense set, you instead get 13365, 15730, and 18095.

So, what we can learn from this is that unless you have high crit % heroes (Lando, Leia, Biggs, Wedge, etc.), offense set is going to do more damage (barely) than a crit set. Now, moving forward, there are heroes with crit immunity (Shoretrooper in particular, but also Ahsoka with JKA), which makes an offense set even better (you're still better with Crit damage on heroes like Biggs or Lando and other heroes with high crit %, but you get my point).

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Is the squad tournament hero reset time the same for everyone? What time is it?