Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Source your quotes.

I don't know how it's done in your country but in the good old USA we don't source quotes. Plus I didn't quote anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Know what? I don't give a poo poo if scalping is legal or not, it is still scummy as hell and I have no problems with Google giving them the shaft, given that such people live on giving other people the shaft.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Legal is not equal to moral

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PerrineClostermann posted:

Scalping phones through using a reseller's address for shipping in bad faith sure as hell ain't moral even if it is legal. Maybe the tax cheat stuff will convince online retailers to use billing addresses for tax calculation.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I think he's referring to the outlawing people part.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

PerrineClostermann posted:

And two wrongs don't make a right; what's your point?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Scalping phones through using a reseller's address for shipping in bad faith sure as hell ain't moral even if it is legal. Maybe the tax cheat stuff will convince online retailers to use billing addresses for tax calculation.

The problem is that you can have your bills sent to a friend/relative/remailing service to bypass income tax.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So Android is still as buggy as I remember it. I've had a variety of weird things come up in my first two days with the Pixel.

Today I had an audio issue where playing music with Spotify through the phone speaker had the volume raise and lower itself automatically every 5 seconds on the dot. Then I tried listening to the news podcasts through the Assistant and the audio would stop for a split second and then play again. Every 5 seconds.

If I've got it connected to my head unit in my car through BT, hitting the volume button up or down on the phone will put it down to middle volume, even though I set it to maximum.

Then I just had an issue where chrome and even Awful did the same thing: it used like 75% of the space. Like it shrunk the available space and just left it white. Couldn't hit any links or anything.

Naturally a restart fixed it so :shrug:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Where are custom wallpapers located on the Galaxy S7? I have a wallpaper I'd like to transfer to my new tablet, but for the life of me I can't find the file. Gallery has only these folders:

- Camera
- Screenshots
- Download
- Facebook
- Whole bunch of random game folders.

I can sure as hell delete the background in the same way that one would select a new image, but I can't for the life of me find the file location. It's made worse because I've forgotten what the hell the name of the file(s) were.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Just stick anywhere or make a wallpaper folder and the gallery should pick it up.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've had my Axon 7 for a few days now. So far I'm incredibly happy with it!

+ screen is gorgeous
+ blazing fast, no stuttering
+ looks and feels high-end
+ has some nice features, like a lock screen that changes the image and shows your step count
+ fingerprint sensor works brilliantly
+ audio is incredible
+ tons of options for customising, shits all over TouchWiz (naturally)

Here is a camera example. Fantastic phone for $350

http://imgur.com/a/cI3Wn

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

Where are custom wallpapers located on the Galaxy S7? I have a wallpaper I'd like to transfer to my new tablet, but for the life of me I can't find the file. Gallery has only these folders:

- Camera
- Screenshots
- Download
- Facebook
- Whole bunch of random game folders.

I can sure as hell delete the background in the same way that one would select a new image, but I can't for the life of me find the file location. It's made worse because I've forgotten what the hell the name of the file(s) were.
If you're looking for the file itself, it should be in whatever folder you put it in, usually downloads if you got it off the Internet, you can use the file explorer to navigate to it. If you just want to set it as the wallpaper you should be able to do it right from the gallery, it should show up there under whatever folder you put it in unless you did something really unusual.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Scalping isn't against the law, and in fact there's nothing wrong with it as long as you're not ethically retarded. No one is forcing you to pay a scalper. If you don't like it, wake up early to get in line (like they did), or wait until things are restocked.

No one "forces" you to pay a scalper, but they reduce availability to low-stock items and force you to go through unreliable second-hand sellers to get something in high-demand. It's not illegal, but it's scummy and definitely unethical. It's very well within Google's rights to kill those peoples accounts. It's not a "digital execution", these people can just make new accounts. They probably lost a bunch of poo poo, but that's directly on them for doing something unethical and against a ToS they agreed to by purchasing a product. If you want to become a second-hand retailer for an item, go through the necessary steps to do so legitimately.

I'm not going to shed a tear for lovely scalpers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

monster on a stick posted:

The problem is that you can have your bills sent to a friend/relative/remailing service to bypass income tax.

That adds a step of complexity most of them aren't willing to do, especially if the shipping address is checked against known reshippers or analyzed for aggregated shipments being received, and only taxed on the billing address when there's a match.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Taffer posted:

No one "forces" you to pay a scalper, but they reduce availability to low-stock items and force you to go through unreliable second-hand sellers to get something in high-demand.

There have been people here in SA who were the first to get a Nexus or Oculus Rift or something similar on pre-order, and realized "hey, these are selling for a lot, I could use the money more than the gadget right now". Some sell them back on SA Mart at-cost because they have buyer's remorse or are just being altruistic. Some mark it up $50 bucks for their trouble. Some head to eBay for a bigger profit. Some flip it right away and some wait a week or a month. Is Google being transparent about how they define a scalper? Maybe they banned 100 accounts and hit one innocent bystander. Is he going to get his day in court? Nope, Google has some Judge Dredd motherfuckers, and they're coming for you one day. Sorry you didn't opt-out of your arbitration clause, now spread your cheeks.

Edit: OK, Google has now reversed their bans, all is right in the world: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/98444

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 18, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Scalpers = bad, companies loving us = good.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Desk Lamp posted:

If you're looking for the file itself, it should be in whatever folder you put it in, usually downloads if you got it off the Internet, you can use the file explorer to navigate to it. If you just want to set it as the wallpaper you should be able to do it right from the gallery, it should show up there under whatever folder you put it in unless you did something really unusual.

I put the file on the phone more than a year or so ago. I manually looked in each folder.

My phone knows its there, cuz its displaying as the background. But I can't find it. :negative:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

There have been people here in SA who were the first to get a Nexus or Oculus Rift or something similar on pre-order, and realized "hey, these are selling for a lot, I could use the money more than the gadget right now". Some sell them back on SA Mart at-cost because they have buyer's remorse or are just being altruistic. Some mark it up $50 bucks for their trouble. Some head to eBay for a bigger profit. Some flip it right away and some wait a week or a month. Is Google being transparent about how they define a scalper? Maybe they banned 100 accounts and hit one innocent bystander. Is he going to get his day in court? Nope, Google has some Judge Dredd motherfuckers, and they're coming for you one day. Sorry you didn't opt-out of your arbitration clause, now spread your cheeks.

Edit: OK, Google has now reversed their bans, all is right in the world: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/98444

I would say that's still a pretty lame thing to do but not unethical. But it sounded to me like the bans were only for people who bought a shitload of them and sold them en masse. Banning those people is completely okay with me.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Explorer posted:

Scalpers = bad, companies loving us = good.

I too identify as a scalper

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I must've missed the new Android Scalper phone.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

monster on a stick posted:

That'll cause the address check on your credit card to fail.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I noticed my Nexus 6P was still on the August security patch today.

Did some Googling and discovered it was due to enrolling in the beta to cut out the wait for OTA and the version I got and version pushed live were different. Which left me cut out of the upgrade path.

Reenrolled to correct this and found out that 7.1 has visual voicemail on Verizon (where as before it sent me some wacky text). Guess I won't be rolling back to live, because that's a feature I've needed since getting the Nexus 6P.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 18, 2016

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

OhFunny posted:

I noticed my Nexus 6P was still on the August security patch today.

Did some Googling and discovered it was due to enrolling in the beta to get the cut out the wait for OTA and the version I got and version pushed live were different. Which left me cut out of the upgrade path.

Reenrolled to correct this and found out that 7.1 has visual voicemail on Verizon (where as before it sent me some wacky text). Guess I won't be rolling back to live, because that's a feature I've needed since getting the Nexus 6P.

Huh. I second handed my 6P to my partner and I've given him the same bugged out thing because I was impatient. Fixing it now, thanks for the heads up.

edit: For the rest of the class to follow if they need to: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz6x7k-VkpUJRjl6WjRhVmdXU0E/view but I recommend pre-downloading the most recent OTA from https://developers.google.com/android/ota cos now I'm sitting here waiting 15m with my phone's dick swinging in the wind.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Taffer posted:

No one "forces" you to pay a scalper, but they reduce availability to low-stock items and force you to go through unreliable second-hand sellers to get something in high-demand.

We're also talking about phones, so saying anyone is "forced" to buy it second-hand is a bit of a stretch in the first place. Shouldn't be hard to wait an extra two weeks for your consumer electronics.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
So the google pixel only uses one of the speakers on the bottom of the phone or is it just my phone not working correctly?

Playing music or games, if I cover the right speaker, no change in sound and I don't feel the vibrations in my finger. Cover the left one, it goes silent and I can feel the music vibrations in my finger.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Only one. The other is for the mic.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Alan_Shore posted:

+ screen is gorgeous
+ has some nice features, like a lock screen that changes the image and shows your step count
+ audio is incredible

Thanks for sharing this, I like hearing about other phones in the Pixel thread. How's the low light performance on the camera?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is there a way to do the screen search thing on a pixel? Used to be I held the home button and it would scan the screen for searchable info, which was great for UPS shipping numbers and the like. On this phone it just brings up the assistant.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Stan Taylor posted:

Is there a way to do the screen search thing on a pixel? Used to be I held the home button and it would scan the screen for searchable info, which was great for UPS shipping numbers and the like. On this phone it just brings up the assistant.

It's still there. After you invoke assistant, swipe up.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

bull3964 posted:

It's still there. After you invoke assistant, swipe up.

Awesome! Is there a guide or some other way to intuit any other secret functions?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

+ screen is gorgeous
+ audio is incredible

I love the way that phone looks, would be a definite tempting buy if it was CDMA capable.

Hopefully they release a upgrade next year with a similar design and CDMA (or the CDMA carriers finally turn on VOLTE and drop CDMA altogether already. Ugh)

Also trying to help my sis get a new phone on Verizon, they have to pretty much go used to get something good under $250 as everything else new is crap, payment plan, or what I still don't get, is why anyone would do the 2 year lock in, to only get charged another $20 per month (which is better than $28 a month for the full payment plan).

Was this all changed around 2012 when all the 2 year renewals went away? Even before I went SERO and my parents had to change their Verizon plan to the new one, I don't remember the 2 years going UP or Down in price depending on your phone upgrade eligibility. In the old days, you got the phone and the 2 year contract at the start, and when the 2 year was up and you were phone eligible, you would just either continue with your current setup, nothing changing, or you had the option to save $200 or so and get a new phone. This is still the case with my Sprint SERO account as I can get a new subsidized phone and extend my contract as a lock in for 2 years and not pay a dime over $50/m (Did this for a LG G3 in 2014).

I understand that carriers got sick of paying for peoples phones, but drat does it suck for the people who don't upgrade often, but when they do, have to settle for used, lower end, or float the cost of a $500-800 phone over 24 months. And being on Verizon/Sprint you have even less options to go to (hence the Axon 7 being fantastic value, but GSM only :argh: ) Oh also the $40 activation fee because you got a new phone an buttons need to be pressed or something. Ugh.

TL:DR ISP's/Cell Carriers all suck rear end these days.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

Awesome! Is there a guide or some other way to intuit any other secret functions?

There's this page, but I don't know how up to date it is. https://get.google.com/apptips/tips/#!/

There are usually visual cues. When you activate the assistant in an app there is the top of a card peeking out below the "I'm listening" graphic, indicating there is more below the fold.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

I put the file on the phone more than a year or so ago. I manually looked in each folder.

My phone knows its there, cuz its displaying as the background. But I can't find it. :negative:

If all else fails, install a custom launcher, hide the dock and notification bar, then take a screenshot.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Alan_Shore posted:

+ screen is gorgeous
+ audio is incredible

I've had mine for a little while. Previously was using a G4 that kept being annoying with losing its wifi connection and resetting the shortcuts in the pulldown menu.

My biggest complaint is that I've amassed enough micro USB cables to encircle the globe that I now need adapters for.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

I love the way that phone looks, would be a definite tempting buy if it was CDMA capable.

Hopefully they release a upgrade next year with a similar design and CDMA (or the CDMA carriers finally turn on VOLTE and drop CDMA altogether already. Ugh)

Also trying to help my sis get a new phone on Verizon, they have to pretty much go used to get something good under $250 as everything else new is crap, payment plan, or what I still don't get, is why anyone would do the 2 year lock in, to only get charged another $20 per month (which is better than $28 a month for the full payment plan).

moto g4

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My wife moved to a Moto g4 from a n5 and likes it. Seems pretty quick and the extra 2gb of ram helps her with her open chrome tab addiction . It's a neat phone but just too drat big for me. I love the size of the n5 but everything else is huge. I've been eyeing the Axon 7 mini but for for now I guess I'll just stick to the n5

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Alan_Shore posted:

+ screen is gorgeous
+ audio is incredible

Glad you like it! I'm loving mine, nougat in January

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

Pretty sure Verizon's line access fee for subsidized phones is $40, $20 is for payment plan/non-contract lines.

Edit: So you'd be paying $40 + $on-contract cost, versus $20 + $monthly payment.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EdEddnEddy posted:

Was this all changed around 2012 when all the 2 year renewals went away? Even before I went SERO and my parents had to change their Verizon plan to the new one, I don't remember the 2 years going UP or Down in price depending on your phone upgrade eligibility. In the old days, you got the phone and the 2 year contract at the start, and when the 2 year was up and you were phone eligible, you would just either continue with your current setup, nothing changing, or you had the option to save $200 or so and get a new phone. This is still the case with my Sprint SERO account as I can get a new subsidized phone and extend my contract as a lock in for 2 years and not pay a dime over $50/m (Did this for a LG G3 in 2014).

I understand that carriers got sick of paying for peoples phones, but drat does it suck for the people who don't upgrade often, but when they do, have to settle for used, lower end, or float the cost of a $500-800 phone over 24 months. And being on Verizon/Sprint you have even less options to go to (hence the Axon 7 being fantastic value, but GSM only :argh: ) Oh also the $40 activation fee because you got a new phone an buttons need to be pressed or something. Ugh.

TL:DR ISP's/Cell Carriers all suck rear end these days.

Cricket's been good to me, though my experience is only as someone who joined by default when they merged with Aio/ATT and stopped being the place to take a stolen phone. I can see the appeal of carrier subsidies, though. It's just not worth it for my situation, but great if you can afford the monthly payment but not the rapidly-approaching-a-thousand-dollars price tag for unlocked flagships.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

sleepwalkers posted:

Pretty sure Verizon's line access fee for subsidized phones is $40, $20 is for payment plan/non-contract lines.

Edit: So you'd be paying $40 + $on-contract cost, versus $20 + $monthly payment.

Nah the line access fee is always just $20, doesn't matter if you own the phone outright or are on a payment plan.