Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So how about Last Week Tonight, huh?

You might as well bail on this thread for a couple months so you don't have to read, well, all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Here's an alternative to bailing out the banks: bailing out the people. Give the money to the people so they can pay off their mortgages, and the banks get their money in the process. Or, as was done, we could give the money to the banks with no oversight and let them work everything out. I'm sure they'll do the right thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

THIS IS THE LAST TIME I'M SAYING THIS:

THIS IS NOT THE TV/IV POLITICS THREAD

If you really want to discuss various problems with politics there is an entire subforum for it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Looks like the folks in charge are trying to bail out this thread.

FWIW, the only complaint I have about this last episode was that part where they said there'd be no more LWT until February. The election results and the ugly campaign notwithstanding, I hadn't really put together what a lovely-rear end bullshit shittyshit year of poo poo 2016 was. I think I'd been so constantly overwhelmed with negativity and idiocy that I became desensitized to it sometime around April or so. Didn't help that my favorite baseball team didn't do that well this year either.

Just wow. Two thousand sixteen was easily the shittiest year I can remember, and I can remember THREE YEARS.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

tarlibone posted:

Looks like the folks in charge are trying to bail out this thread.

FWIW, the only complaint I have about this last episode was that part where they said there'd be no more LWT until February. The election results and the ugly campaign notwithstanding, I hadn't really put together what a lovely-rear end bullshit shittyshit year of poo poo 2016 was. I think I'd been so constantly overwhelmed with negativity and idiocy that I became desensitized to it sometime around April or so. Didn't help that my favorite baseball team didn't do that well this year either.

Just wow. Two thousand sixteen was easily the shittiest year I can remember, and I can remember THREE YEARS.

I know the schedules are decided far in advance and this was an unpredictable election, but you would think they would have at least two or three episodes between election and inauguration.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

swickles posted:

I know the schedules are decided far in advance and this was an unpredictable election, but you would think they would have at least two or three episodes between election and inauguration.

If history holds, there will be videos posted to the YouTube channel during the break.

I'm really not sure why a weekly news editorial show needs an off-season though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TheCenturion posted:

I'm really not sure why a weekly news editorial show needs an off-season though.

Two reasons, budget and they do a lot of research for the segments.

TheArtist 314
Dec 25, 2004

What is your purpose?!

I just wanna rock!
It's confirmed the show will return Feb 12th. I actually hadn't realized it wasn't renewed until I saw the renewal news today. That's a long wait.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Assuming trump doesnt buy hbo

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So how about Last Week Tonight, huh?
It's a funny show I enjoyed watching this year

Anyone want to recommend their favorites for the dry spell?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

It's a lovely show about Trump. Good thing we don't have to care about that anymore. :v:

Gimme foreign election-stories or scummy corporations, please!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm simply looking forward to the torturous logic that will be put forward to prove that Trump is not, in fact, breaking a whole fuckload of conflict of interest laws and other poo poo by naming his immediate family members as top secret cleared (I know brothers or sons-in-law are a super big no-no after JFK and Bobby Kennedy), or how he's got a brand new hotel in DC that is literally suing the government because they want their property to be valued at 28 million dollars rather than 98 million dollars.. But where do you think anybody wanting to curry favor with the president will rent a few penthouse suites for extended periods? :a2m:

We still have not and will likely never see Trump's tax returns, so I'm looking forward to the immediate impeachment shitstorm - I mean look at how much trouble Carter was in just because his alcoholic brother was embezzling funds fro the family peanut farm

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

coyo7e posted:

I'm simply looking forward to the torturous logic that will be put forward to prove that Trump is not, in fact, breaking a whole fuckload of conflict of interest laws and other poo poo by naming his immediate family members as top secret cleared (I know brothers or sons-in-law are a super big no-no after JFK and Bobby Kennedy), or how he's got a brand new hotel in DC that is literally suing the government because they want their property to be valued at 28 million dollars rather than 98 million dollars.. But where do you think anybody wanting to curry favor with the president will rent a few penthouse suites for extended periods? :a2m:

We still have not and will likely never see Trump's tax returns, so I'm looking forward to the immediate impeachment shitstorm - I mean look at how much trouble Carter was in just because his alcoholic brother was embezzling funds fro the family peanut farm

A Trump impeachment is a real interesting prospect. Tossing him jettisons some real guaranteed radioactive scandals that will inevitably come from President Trump. It also put in Mike Pence, the very embodiment of your typical Republican assholery. The problem is Trump's voters would be out for blood next cycle and almost nothing would placate them. Also it makes a Trump a mythic icon of the blatantly racist and bigoted right. On the other hand, not impeaching Trump fucks with the rest of the base who voted Trump with the understanding that the big boys would be in charge and he'd be kicked out if he acted up.

The next four years are going to be a treasure trove of nihilistic comedy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I honestly can't imagine what's going to happen in the next four years, but I have such little faith in our government that I don't think much will come from Trump's illegal disregard of conflict of interest issues. The republicans have a balancing act ahead of them in certain areas because I can see trump supporters going batshit clive bundy crazy if they try to kick him out, or if Trump tweets to war because the Repubs have pissed him off somehow.

CrashCat posted:

It's not newscomedy, but You're the Worst is some of the funniest, dark comedy/drama on the air.

Also, check out Ash vs Evil Dead, as it is one of the best comedy/action.horror shows that has ever existed. Starring Bruce Campbell.

Both are half hour long episodes.

And The Exorcist (the series) is fantastic, surprisingly so. Straight up drama.horror. Not really many jump scares here, thankfully. Just some cool people acting their asses off.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gyges posted:

The next four years are going to be a treasure trove of nihilistic comedy.
Rachel Maddow's opening segment last night was nothing if not that - playing tapes of mitt romney ted cruz etc etc all lambasting Trump - and then endorsing him and talking about working together with him http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/trump-makes-servile-puppy-dog-of-ted-cruz-812045379517

Also the bit where Cruz almost says that he's "not going to be a servile bitch" and instead stumbles and forces in "puppy dog" :laugh:

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

coyo7e posted:

Rachel Maddow's opening segment last night was nothing if not that - playing tapes of mitt romney ted cruz etc etc all lambasting Trump - and then endorsing him and talking about working together with him http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/trump-makes-servile-puppy-dog-of-ted-cruz-812045379517

Also the bit where Cruz almost says that he's "not going to be a servile bitch" and instead stumbles and forces in "puppy dog" :laugh:

It doesn't really sound like he's trying to say bitch at all honestly listening to it. It's a stretch at best

Also that's my first exposure to this Rachel Maddow person. What is she, the left equivalent of O'Reilly?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

CrashCat posted:

I binged Nathan for You recently after I was too lazy to override Hulu's autoplay and was pleasantly surprised. I remember when Dumb Starbucks happened and didn't realize that this show was responsible for it (it takes up an entire episode). In general it's an incompetent business major with social anxiety giving struggling small businesses horrible ideas and strategies and watching them fail.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Servaetes posted:

Also that's my first exposure to this Rachel Maddow person. What is she, the left equivalent of O'Reilly?

:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_suKDC8gyPI

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Servaetes posted:

She started out really progressive but MSNBC slowly but surely turned her into yet another corporate media hack.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAFS1gwzTTs

Gay people don't care about John Oliver.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

who is Wendy Williams?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Daytime talk show host. Back in the day she was in one of THE premiere NYC radio shock jocks.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
She talks poo poo on people and airs their dirty laundry is her claim to fame.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was always an Ed, Lisa, and Dre guy myself.

It's the roll call...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vodos posted:

She started out really progressive but MSNBC slowly but surely turned her into yet another corporate media hack.

I really don't get what's happened to MSNBC, it's like someone told them they had a left wing bias and they completely balked at the thought and did their utmost to become bland and centrist as possible. Like, what is their identity now? Why should I watch them?

Admittedly I had it on all afternoon because of the shooting news, but I probably in hindsight should've just gone to the local feed - I just knew I didn't want to go FOX/CNN (bleh) or BBC (pointless) so they were the leftover. Is that their raison d'être now?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vodos posted:

I haven't watched her / MSNBC regularly in years. What has changed about her show? I remember it seeming like she did a good job of researching topics and fact checking.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

raditts posted:

I haven't watched her / MSNBC regularly in years. What has changed about her show? I remember it seeming like she did a good job of researching topics and fact checking.
You're not wrong and that hasn't changed - she still will throw down a 10-20 minute in-depth examination of something that's happened in the last 24 hours that nobody else even bothered to report let alone take into historical context.

But you know, MSNBC so nothing on her show is worth examining :jerkbag:

edit: her (second) interview with kelly Ann Conway was pretty legit (although it wasn't the "OMG LAW AND JOURNO PROFS WILL TACH THIS IN CENTURIES TO COME" that people kept wanking about) and nobody else is bothering to even try to do poo poo like that.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 7, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I really don't get what's happened to MSNBC, it's like someone told them they had a left wing bias and they completely balked at the thought and did their utmost to become bland and centrist as possible.

Turns out you need ratings to sell advertising to remain in business as a network.

I'm about as far left as you get and msnbc was real bad last time I checked in. Let's all remember that this is the network that runs prison reality tv shows literally all weekend.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I've avoided MSNBC for years and can't say much about Maddow, but I imagine the network really hasn't ideologically shifted in at least a decade. It's been consistently, conventionally milquetoast liberal, not unlike the New York Times opinion pages.

Liberals in the media have been pretty comfortable with bashing conservatives while quietly trying to keep the left in line without giving it a voice. You know, ten degrees to left of center in good times...

Also, I googled Wendy Williams.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Even Bill Maher said of Hillary versus Bernie, if you can't have the fish, take the chicken and shut your pie hole.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Propaganda Machine posted:

Even Bill Maher said of Hillary versus Bernie, if you can't have the fish, take the chicken and shut your pie hole.

No sir, I'm not gonna compromise. Either I get that fish or I'm gonna make both of us eat pound after pound of poo poo!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

EL BROMANCE posted:

I really don't get what's happened to MSNBC, it's like someone told them they had a left wing bias and they completely balked at the thought and did their utmost to become bland and centrist as possible. Like, what is their identity now? Why should I watch them?

Admittedly I had it on all afternoon because of the shooting news, but I probably in hindsight should've just gone to the local feed - I just knew I didn't want to go FOX/CNN (bleh) or BBC (pointless) so they were the leftover. Is that their raison d'être now?

They refused to go in on being the Left alternative to Fox or even try and be CNN but competent, so all they have for an audience are people who want to watch 24 Hour News but for what ever reason don't want to watch Fox or CNN at the moment. Add in that if you want some news on the weekend you can't get any from MSNBC, because it's all prison reality tv, and it's no wonder they haven't managed to build much of an actual audience.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekoETowzmAo

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

No sir, I'm not gonna compromise. Either I get that fish or I'm gonna make both of us eat pound after pound of poo poo!

I accepted the chicken even though I knew the fish was better and now the drive thru got both our orders wrong and gave us poo poo.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Larry!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

So good!

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Looking forward to shaking my head at some of you folks in here and laughing at the funny English man once again

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

That promo owns.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Someone doing a new thread for the new season starting tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a point? This isn't exactly a drama.

• Locked thread