Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Shaggar posted:

even if you are using a laptop on your lap 15" is the best. esp xps 15 which is a 15" laptop in a 14" form factor.

Just ordered my XPS 15 today. Thanks for the advice, Shaggar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
my 15 inch touchbar mac arrives on monday

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

GameCube posted:

my sierra installation has been saying "about 33 minutes remaining" for the past hour. meanwhile my windows 10 upgrade went flawlessly. this is the hosed up world we live in

I wish companies would stop calling updates "upgrades"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
did they fix the Windows 10 Anniversary update breaking people with their user folders on a separate drive yet

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jony neuemonic posted:

some manufacturers don't inflict a 1280x800 work area on their 13" users.

i use the 1680x1050 work area setting on mine, op

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://twitter.com/luke_dot_js/status/799271787133403136

i don't g... *eyes scroll down the image* uhhh

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Linguica posted:

lol

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Pinterest Mom posted:

well, it's very simple

“It’s noteworthy to say that the brand strategy of ‘Intel makes amazing experiences possible’ has become the company’s business strategy,” said Penny Baldwin, vice president and general manager of Intel’s global brand management, in an interview with VentureBeat. “We believe Intel’s longstanding history of being ruthlessly focused on Intel Inside has effectively rendered the brand invisible. We have been trapped inside the box, distanced from the consumer, with no clear role or relationship with the consumer.”

Baldwin added, “Instead of focusing on where we are with Intel Inside, we have elected to focus on why we are. The why lays a direct claim to the amazing experiences we enable outside. We are not abandoning our Inside heritage. We are simply bridging from the inside to the out, and making a direct connection between the role our breakthrough technology plays and the experiences that technology enables.”

“Part of our strategy is to see this new brand promise at a 30,000-foot level, which is the Amazing Experience campaign, and to pay off that brand promise with experiential activations that clearly highlight the role our technology plays,” Baldwin said.

i see

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

rapeface posted:

did they fix the Windows 10 Anniversary update breaking people with their user folders on a separate drive yet
ms wants to help its users by convincing them to buy bigger ssd's so no

poty
Jun 21, 2008

trilljester posted:

Just ordered my XPS 15 today. Thanks for the advice, Shaggar.

shaggar is like bizarro worlds the wirecutter

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Linguica posted:

lmao

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Phoenixan posted:

ms wants to help its users by convincing them to buy bigger ssd's so no

wonderful

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Linguica posted:

is his password "mypassword" or are those random suggestions?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I think it's suggestive typing gone awry. That, or it's making autocorrect suggestions for his password. :downsgun:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Linguica posted:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
in iOS safari the password manager appears in the same place as the autocorrect l, above the software keyboard, so using the touch bar for the password manager would make sense but it looks like that's just autocompleting which seems v bad

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Doc Block posted:

I think it's suggestive typing gone awry. That, or it's making autocorrect suggestions for his password. :downsgun:

it is the latter. autocorrect/complete is attempting to correct his password.

it probably is a case of the input box somehow not being properly marked as a password box, like showed up all the drat time on iOS when autocomplete suggestions were first introduced.

still funny computer though. why the hell do you need suggestions when using a laptop with a full keyboard?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

still funny computer though. why the hell do you need suggestions when using a laptop with a full keyboard?

kids are already having problems learning to touch type after using phones all their young lives. now this will ensure that they never need to learn lol.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

it probably is a case of the input box somehow not being properly marked as a password box, like showed up all the drat time on iOS when autocomplete suggestions were first introduced.

courage

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

Apple sucks now. The New Function Key 13" MacBook will be my last laptop.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Citizen Tayne posted:

you'll change your tune once you use it. it's an amazing computer.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Citizen Tayne posted:

to be fair it might be lastpass doing something stupid in their app, although it would be p funny if apple was so busy jerking off over touchid that they didn't even consider that someone might still hand type a password

ufarn
May 30, 2009
an addendum to the design book

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/799576333701550080

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

to be fair it might be lastpass doing something stupid in their app, although it would be p funny if apple was so busy jerking off over touchid that they didn't even consider that someone might still hand type a password

if it is a password manager it should say something like "password for account <userid>" there's like no way it should ever say "my password" that is just insane

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lol at that just straight up reading your password

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

touch disease: the revenge of bendgate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

you'll change your tune once you use it. it's an amazing computer.

A computer is a tool, not an end unto itself, and the touchbar is a stupid rear end gimmick.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

C.H.O.M.E posted:

if it is a password manager it should say something like "password for account <userid>" there's like no way it should ever say "my password" that is just insane

no i mean lastpass might have rolled a non-standard password box that wasn't marked as "do not parse this input" for whatever api the touch bar interfaces with. it wouldn't have been a problem until now so they might just need to fix their app. real question is whether password fields in every app do this or just lastpass

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Linguica posted:

yeah, lastpass is certainly a piece of poo poo.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

no i mean lastpass might have rolled a non-standard password box that wasn't marked as "do not parse this input" for whatever api the touch bar interfaces with. it wouldn't have been a problem until now so they might just need to fix their app. real question is whether password fields in every app do this or just lastpass

safari seems to know

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Linguica posted:

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

C.H.O.M.E posted:

osx is suggesting different auto completes for the text field cause it doesn't know its a password field. you cant say "password fo account whatever" becauyse its litterrally the text field where he is entering his password to login. its probably a custom text field or something but its still really lol that its opt out instead of opt in.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Linguica posted:

how does the touchbar manage to gently caress this up but iOS suggestions don't

I mean you'd think this would be a use case they'd check

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

ah i see your problem. stop using lastpass

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

osx is suggesting different auto completes for the text field cause it doesn't know its a password field. you cant say "password fo account whatever" becauyse its litterrally the text field where he is entering his password to login. its probably a custom text field or something but its still really lol that its opt out instead of opt in.

because programmers are lazy and programmers who write anything with a pass shouldn't be

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.twelvesouth.com/store/product/new-mac-candle

:slick:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

you might be in a cult

poty
Jun 21, 2008

the daily fireball with john gruber posted:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/11/16/sal-soghoian

this is bad and i dont even use any of this poo poo. bad ceo. tim will go down in history as apples steve ballmer

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

i remember at QuickTime live expo he gave a talk on QT and applescript, he was so popular that at the end of his talk his team threw panties onstage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
process and workflow automation, on a computer?

no, i can't imagine why we'd need that, we sell apps

• Locked thread