Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

Engine on Talonbane. Hes gonna really struggle to get range 1 or escape to range 3 without it.

I think Vectored Thrusters is not a bad choice either, gives you more arc dodging albeit with less over all speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

Mouzer posted:

I really want to try out this variation:

JumpMaster 5000: · Manaroo (27)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Kihraxz Fighter: · Talonbane Cobra (28)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Vectored Thrusters (2)
Protectorate Starfighter: · Fenn Rau (28)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Autothrusters (2)
Concord Dawn Protector (1)

With 5 points left to season manaroo with.

I flew a version for a while, alternating between Cloaking Device / Stygium Particle Accelerator or Engine Upgrade on Talonbane. Its a good list, The cloaking device version is a gamble but super cool. There is also a real advantage to having two of your ships pick the order they move in with mind link.

Example: I want to do a red with Ship A. If Ship B has to move after Ship A then it probably wants to do a green in order to clear stress, but if you choose which goes first then Ship B can do a white and get its action before Ship A stresses everyone out.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Firespray-31: · Kath Scarlet (38)
Predator (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Tail Gunner (2)
Glitterstim (2)

YV-666: · Bossk (35)
Crack Shot (1)
Homing Missiles (5)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
· 4-LOM (1)
· Zuckuss (1)
· Dengar (3)
Inertial Dampeners (1)

I originally had Fearlessness on both ships but it would be wasted on Kath; if she boosted to get Range 1, she can't mod dice without a previous TL or the one round of Glitter. I also considered PtL but the greens on a Firespray are so bad! Thoughts?

Edit: Maybe Glitterstim on Bossk instead of the dampeners, to guarantee the Homing Missile does a fuckton of damage?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 17, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Man, x7 Palp Defenders are just so hard to play against.
Doesn't help that I've been on a losing streak and am feeling a little discouraged about this game. I don't get to play it as often as I'd like, either. :negative:

I played Nien Nunb and Rey vs. Kenkirk/Palp and x7 Ryad last night, and couldn't keep Rey alive after I'd killed the Decimator. At that point it was a knife fight of Nien Nunb vs. the best knife fighter in this game.
Second game was Baes of Biggs vs. Whisper/Zeta Leader/Ryad. The girls took Whisper to one hull in the first round of shooting, but I couldn't get wheeled around to pursue fast enough to close the deal. I lost it 100-0.

The x7 ships are so ridiculous. Without something like Gunner or Zuckuss, it seems like you've got to have 3 or more good 3+ dice attacks on them in a round in order to do any damage.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

What's the order of dice changing? I've assumed roll, enemy change if possible, active player has final change. Also, how do Crack Shot and Palp interact?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Slandible posted:

What's the order of dice changing? I've assumed roll, enemy change if possible, active player has final change. Also, how do Crack Shot and Palp interact?

Pretty much, yeah.

Palpatine works when the player with Palp is modding his own dice, and there's not really any gotchas in the order of operations there.

Crack Shot gets decided and activated once all the dice modding is done, and you're comparing dice results to each other. That way, there's really no way to "waste" Crack Shot, because by the time you're deciding if you're going to use it, the defending player has no more decisions to make.
That's part of why it's great.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Slandible posted:

It changes for atk/def dice though. Attack dice, defender mods first, and on defense dice, attacker mods first (IIRC).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

It changes for atk/def dice though. Attack dice, defender mods first, and on defense dice, attacker mods first (IIRC).

Yeah. The dice roller does the final modding.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

This bomber Miranda list + TLTs went 6-0 in Swiss and took 4th after the cut at San Diego regionals
Gold Squadron Pilot + Twin Laser Turret
Gold Squadron Pilot + Twin Laser Turret
Miranda Doni + Twin Laser Turret + Extra Munitions + Homing Missiles + Sabine Wren + Ion Bombs + Conner Net + Advanced SLAM
(100)

I ran this in five games last night and it's Real Good. I won four out of five games; the one I lost was lost because I let Miranda get separated from the Y's for too long.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

canyoneer posted:

Yeah. The dice roller does the final modding.

With the caveat of course that you cannot reroll a reroll so sometimes it works against you.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:captainpop:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

:perfect:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

gently caress yes!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:redass:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
First attempt to get my radar dish for my carrier is rejected.

cool

all I want is the little radar dish guys

come on

Adonis
Oct 15, 2004
Greek gods almighty!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Firespray-31: · Kath Scarlet (38)
Predator (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Tail Gunner (2)
Glitterstim (2)

YV-666: · Bossk (35)
Crack Shot (1)
Homing Missiles (5)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
· 4-LOM (1)
· Zuckuss (1)
· Dengar (3)
Inertial Dampeners (1)

I originally had Fearlessness on both ships but it would be wasted on Kath; if she boosted to get Range 1, she can't mod dice without a previous TL or the one round of Glitter. I also considered PtL but the greens on a Firespray are so bad! Thoughts?

Edit: Maybe Glitterstim on Bossk instead of the dampeners, to guarantee the Homing Missile does a fuckton of damage?

I played almost that exact same YV666 and felt like I didnt get a ton of mileage out of the mangler. I flew:

Bossk 35
Crack Shot 1
Mangler Cannon 4
4LOM 1
Zuckuss 1
Dengar 3
Engine Upgrade 4

+2 TLT Y-wings

Even with engine upgrade at least half my shots were outside primary or didn't get a crit. I didn't use EU too much at first but it saved my rear end at the end when it was just Bossk vs Poe. I kind of feel like it's a must for this ship. Without it I think Poe would've been able to stay out of arc.

Adonis fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 18, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Adonis posted:

I played almost that exact same YV666 and felt like I didnt get a ton of mileage out of the mangler. I flew:

Bossk 35
Crack Shot 1
Mangler Cannon 4
4LOM 1
Zuckuss 1
Dengar 3
Engine Upgrade 4

+2 TLT Y-wings

Even with engine upgrade at least half my shots were outside primary or didn't get a crit. I didn't use EU too much at first but it saved my rear end at the end when it was just Bossk vs Poe. I kind of feel like it's a must for this ship. Without it I think Poe would've been able to stay out of arc.

If you're using Zuckuss aggressively enough, you'll never be stress free to be able to boost. I don't understand your first sentence because Mangler will always give you a crit if you hit, unless you mean your secondary arc shots never crit.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Can you Feedback Array a ship touching you?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yes. It is not an attack.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Nien Nunb with Pattern Analyzer, PTL and Stressbot is a kick in the pants. Starting unstressed, dial in any move you want and as long as you can boost into R1 of something, you never take the stress from the red move/PTL/stressbot.

I'm really trying to make a Hot Cop/Gunner build work.
Here was my first idea:
Rey (45)
Swarm Tactics (2)
Finn (5)
Kanan Jarrus (3)
Millennium Falcon (TFA) (1)

Lothal Rebel (35)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)
Gunner (5)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

But my problems with it are that Rey must stay within R1 for the Lothal Rebel to shoot first, and Lothal Rebel doesn't have space for FCS and must rely on the good target being in his arc. Hmm.

My next thought was, hey, make em both PS3.
Resistance Sympathizer (38)
Gunner (5)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)
Millennium Falcon (1)

Lothal Rebel (35)
Fire-Control System (2)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Hera Syndulla (1)
Rey (2)

Total: 94

View in Yet Another Squad Builder
My issue here is that you have an awkward amount of points left, and even if you drop the TLT without replacing it you can only afford a Z-95 (as if this list needs more blockers). Switch to autoblaster turret and add missiles? Drop Rey for Sabine and add bombs? Antipursuit lasers for both?

Broadly, low agility lists are essentially on timers for when they explode. I don't know if either list puts out enough damage to kill Defenders or Brobots before losing a ship.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So, this is just tangentially related to X-Wing (as in, really not at all...), but whats the deal with the Star Wars: Destiny game that gets released today? Like, why are people freaking out about it? At the casual X-Wing night tonight, there are going to be people lined up to get this launch kit, and I read the rules and stuff....and I just don't get why its a big deal beyond 'Star Wars stuff'. If it wasn't random packs, maybe, but still.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It's a fast, fun CCG that's going to have massive support from a company that makes good games.

Totally not my thing, but the hype is HUGE. Covenant has had a demo set available for over a month at their physical store, and it's seen near constant use since they put it out.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Well it looks fun. It's not my bag, but I play Magic Duels semi-frequently and I might try out Destiny on TTS one day so I don't need to go buy boosters and collect a bunch of pre-school sized dice.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Is there a specific time to declare 4LOM, or can you just wait until all dice have been modded to use it?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Slandible posted:

Is there a specific time to declare 4LOM, or can you just wait until all dice have been modded to use it?

You do it during the "attacker modifies dice" step. Basically last thing before greens are rolled.

So you roll reds, opponent gets a chance to mod your reds (ex: sensor jammer), you mod your reds, you choose to use 4-LOM.

And then greens are rolled.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

enigmahfc posted:

So, this is just tangentially related to X-Wing (as in, really not at all...), but whats the deal with the Star Wars: Destiny game that gets released today? Like, why are people freaking out about it? At the casual X-Wing night tonight, there are going to be people lined up to get this launch kit, and I read the rules and stuff....and I just don't get why its a big deal beyond 'Star Wars stuff'. If it wasn't random packs, maybe, but still.

It's a CCG it's Star Wars it's FFG it's gonna be big. I don't get the hype personally and I'm irked that it might be distracting from x wing previews.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

enigmahfc posted:

I can only hope they attempt to start Friday night Star Wars to compete with the magic crowd. :getin:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah i dont get it either. Ccg poo poo has zero appeal to me.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I put my name on the list for the prerelease event (rey art print? :swoon: ) thing, but any game with collectible in the descriptor is pretty much a non-starter for me these days. Figure it's worth trying out at least, see if it goes anywhere locally.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I dunno what it says that I finally ran out of room for x-wing minatures on top of my liquor cabinet. Either I have too many x-wng minatures, or too much booze. Maybe if I drink it all, I can hide my duplicates in it? Like one of the two falcons, and the two kihraxzes and star vipers and one of my 12 xwings(I have 6 t65s and 6 t70s now)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
So I've heard back from Asmodee, the people who process FFG's parts thing. They don't have the radar dish or whatever for some reason, and there's no ETA for when they could replace it. I'm assuming it's why they initially rejected my request. Honestly it looks like a whole bunch of Assault Carriers left the factory with no radar dish, and they aren't really fussed.

I'm pretty disappoint really, not sure if I'll be buying anything X-Wing related for a while.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Why did Z swarms never become a thing like TIEs? Less green, no evades, no Howlrunner?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Why did Z swarms never become a thing like TIEs? Less green, no evades, no Howlrunner?

If you're swarming, your points are better spent on TIEs. The only people I see attempt Z swarms are diehard "Rebel players" (setting aside the smart idea of a small swarm with a more expensive centerpiece ship)

At 24 points would I rather take 2 Z's or a TLT Y Wing?

Rebel swarm lists are the handjob of swarms: this is nice but it's not what you really want

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Recoome posted:

So I've heard back from Asmodee, the people who process FFG's parts thing. They don't have the radar dish or whatever for some reason, and there's no ETA for when they could replace it. I'm assuming it's why they initially rejected my request. Honestly it looks like a whole bunch of Assault Carriers left the factory with no radar dish, and they aren't really fussed.

I'm pretty disappoint really, not sure if I'll be buying anything X-Wing related for a while.

Have you checked if Shapeways has any sort of replacement up? I'd certainly not want to spend 10+ bucks for a Gozanti radar dish, but if it's bothering you that much it's an option, potentially.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

canyoneer posted:

If you're swarming, your points are better spent on TIEs. The only people I see attempt Z swarms are diehard "Rebel players" (setting aside the smart idea of a small swarm with a more expensive centerpiece ship)

At 24 points would I rather take 2 Z's or a TLT Y Wing?

Rebel swarm lists are the handjob of swarms: this is nice but it's not what you really want

:colbert:

M3-A Interceptor: · Serissu (20)
Veteran Instincts (1)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (2)
Flechette Cannon (2)

Z-95 Headhunter: Black Sun Soldier (13)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)
Guidance Chips (0)
Black Market Slicer Tools (1)

Guidance Chips (0)

Guidance Chips (0)

Guidance Chips (0)

Guidance Chips (0)

Ugh this is garbage.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I think the other thing that precludes Headhunter swarms is the fact that there aren't any Howlrunner-type ships (Except for Serissu, I guess) that make everyone around them better, and Headhunters have a much worse dial. I certainly like Headhunters as filler ships, but for taking a swarm TIEs have far more options and are far more powerful.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

the z-95 equivalent is Cracken, who gives a single free action out when he attacks, which is pretty worse than Howl's and Serissu's abilitiy.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

the z-95 equivalent is Cracken, who gives a single free action out when he attacks, which is pretty worse than Howl's and Serissu's abilitiy.

Airen Cracken (19)
Squad Leader (2)
Experimental Interface (3)

Total: 24

Perfect.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Airen Cracken (19)
Squad Leader (2)
Experimental Interface (3)

Total: 24

Perfect.

So he gives out two free actions? Once during the action phase, and one during the combat phase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005
I've been trying to make Z swarms work, I brought 5 and Old Teroch to worlds. They soak 4 hit attacks better than TIEs, generally, but die as fast to three dice attacks and probably faster to two dice attacks.

Thread tracers is not a terrible substitute for Howlrunner, throw two or three of them in otherwise empty missile slots.

I think the scum Zs are better right now, and about two Slicer Tools is enough. Fill the rest of your points with feedback Array and you can fight most things.

X7 defenders still eat swarms for lunch.

• Locked thread