Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also going to be interesting to see Pokemon on the same network as Yokai Watch, the franchise that dethroned it in Japan, especially with the Sun & Moon season debuting today taking an obvious influence from Yokai Watch's anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Waffleman_ posted:

It's also going to be interesting to see Pokemon on the same network as Yokai Watch, the franchise that dethroned it in Japan, especially with the Sun & Moon season debuting today taking an obvious influence from Yokai Watch's anime.

Well they are both Nintendo properties, heck it isn't even the first time Nintendo has had another Mon series around, they also did Fossil Fighters, although that one never took off quite like Yokai Watch has

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Nintendo does not own Yokai Watch, it's a Level 5 property.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waffleman_ posted:

Worth noting that Japanese Pokemon sales beat the poo poo out of worldwide Yokai Watch sales, which are starting to nosedive after the third 'generation' and Pokemon SM is tracking to blow its previous generation out of the water. It didn't so much dethrone as much as put pressure and flood the market as Level-5 is known to do. Wouldn't be too surprised if the games stop being pumped out in two years.

I really hope that the move to Disney XD is a sign of things to come, they aired the Nintendo World Championship there last year and Nintendo's openly spoken about trying to get their IPs out there more (and announced yesterday a zelda themed sorta room escape) so maybe the move to Disney XD could mean some cooperation, like a Splatoon cartoon or something?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Is the Pokemon cartoon even really all the popular anymore? I know the franchise is still big but I always took CN's airing it early in the morning more of a reflection of viewer demands.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

glam rock hamhock posted:

Is the Pokemon cartoon even really all the popular anymore? I know the franchise is still big but I always took CN's airing it early in the morning more of a reflection of viewer demands.

CN doesn't really have a good track record these days with shows neither made at CN Studios nor named Teen Titans Go (or even some of the shows that are made at CN Studios)

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

glam rock hamhock posted:

It was for a bit, but then Mega-Charizard hosed it up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rudoku posted:

It was for a bit, but then Mega-Charizard hosed it up.

Can you elaborate on this?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Xelkelvos posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

Ash looked like he was gonna win he Kalos League against a guy he got beat by like 4 times in a row after powering up his French Frog Ninja that had special anime hype powers. But didn't. To a black Charizard. Look up "Ash loses Kalos league" for a few laughs.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I've been under the assumption that the Pokemon cartoon hasn't been as popular as the games for some time now. CN barely runs the show anymore and they haven't seemed particularly interested in it for years.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
When Pokemon first came out I expected there to be an end-goal for Ash becoming a Pokemon Master. Like, there are champions but they don't call them masters. And even if they were the masters Ash hasn't ever won a tournament...I think.

drat it, let Ash grow up and become an adult! Let him start a gym and teach the next generation of pokemon trainers. He's earned that much.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Wait, I know that DC has been super serious as of late, but they don't even deliver on action?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

MrSlam posted:

When Pokemon first came out I expected there to be an end-goal for Ash becoming a Pokemon Master. Like, there are champions but they don't call them masters. And even if they were the masters Ash hasn't ever won a tournament...I think.

drat it, let Ash grow up and become an adult! Let him start a gym and teach the next generation of pokemon trainers. He's earned that much.

No. He's in school now learning about Z-Moves to improve his skills and you go buy your own Z-Ring for 29.99 and all the Z-Crystals to maximize your skills as they do lights and sounds when you use your Z-Move in Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon (39.99 each) in your New 3DS system (99.99 for the Super Mario edition this Black Friday and Holidays) :colbert:

I hope this new season of the anime takes off, the new art style looks way more interesting, specially the color palette and it has the best scene with the best new pokemon (video is darkened for some reason)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait, I know that DC has been super serious as of late, but they don't even deliver on action?

It is touch and go outside of picking really good series like All-Star Superman and maybe loving up the presentation depending on how faithful they stick to the source material. I remember watching Throne of Atlantis with Waffle and it was the most boring poo poo ever. Like peak New 52 schlock that couldn't loving make anyone care about what was going on no matter what happened, while Crisis of 2 Earths was sort of okay. The Killing Joke was really ruined by a sort of more tame art style and some really stupid changes to a flawless story. You can have Atlantis attack the army in Washington DC or Giant Sea Monsters battling the whole JL and if you can't care for them making Aquaman look good by having everyone else job, the action is a complete waste of time. All grim gritty flash with no substance. Oh an the occasional swear - how exciting!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MrSlam posted:

Ash is legitimately a terrible Pokemon trainer in pretty much every respect, it's honestly embarrassing that they still have him as the main character in the anime

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

No. He's in school now learning about Z-Moves to improve his skills and you go buy your own Z-Ring for 29.99 and all the Z-Crystals to maximize your skills as they do lights and sounds when you use your Z-Move in Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon (39.99 each) in your New 3DS system (99.99 for the Super Mario edition this Black Friday and Holidays) :colbert:

I hope this new season of the anime takes off, the new art style looks way more interesting, specially the color palette and it has the best scene with the best new pokemon (video is darkened for some reason)

I really like the new show's animation style. It's very fluid which is rare in anime.

drrockso20 posted:

Ash is legitimately a terrible Pokemon trainer in pretty much every respect, it's honestly embarrassing that they still have him as the main character in the anime

Truth. But think how awesome it would be if the show embraced this and made Ash's defining trait that he's lovely at his job. I don't think I've ever seen a show (particularly an anime) where the main character was irredeemably bad at the thing they dream to do. It would be like if Dragonball's main character was Krillin.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

readingatwork posted:

I really like the new show's animation style. It's very fluid which is rare in anime.

Truth. But think how awesome it would be if the show embraced this and made Ash's defining trait that he's lovely at his job. I don't think I've ever seen a show (particularly an anime) where the main character was irredeemably bad at the thing they dream to do. It would be like if Dragonball's main character was Krillin.

That would get old really drat fast

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

Don't they already do that with Team Rocket?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

He still has to use his Pokedex. After all these years. To be fair though they keep making more loving Pokemon.

readingatwork posted:

Like Curb Your Enthusiasm but with Pokemon. I wonder how willing Japan would be to take the piss out of that genre.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

drrockso20 posted:

This is from years ago and probably outdated but I remember seeing a list of how he got all of his gym badges and for a majority of them he never even beat the gym leader, he'd lose (or something would interrupt the battle), then he'd prove himself some other way, and then they'd give him a badge without him actually beating them.

Darn millenials with their participation trophies :argh:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MrSlam posted:

He won the Orange Island League! You know, the one that doesn't exist in any game...

(man, I remember the Orange Island arc of the anime starting soooo many playground rumors back in ye olden days about how you could totally find them in R/B/Y because my uncle at Nintendo said so)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Ash's Mom is just glad to have him out of the house and out of her life at this point. Guy's basically dropped out of school to not even be that good of a pokemon trainer. Just another deadbeat in the grass, waiting for some kid to beat him and take his lunchmoney in some random battle.

Gary's a loving Pokemon Scholar, Misty's running a gym in who the gently caress cares, Brock's macking on girls somewhere. But Ash? Ash's gotta pretend he's still in his, what? His early 20s at this point?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Crabtree posted:

Ash's Mom is just glad to have him out of the house and out of her life at this point. Guy's basically dropped out of school to not even be that good of a pokemon trainer. Just another deadbeat in the grass, waiting for some kid to beat him and take his lunchmoney in some random battle.

Ash's mom moved to Alola with him

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

^she did not. Mr. Mine won a little contest for a trip to Alola. Oak asked them to deliver a pokemon egg to his brother, Samson Oak, in his Pokemon School. Ash saw the gimmick of this generation and went "i'm staying here in school to learn all the z-moves!" while his mom went home.

Pakled posted:

This is from years ago and probably outdated but I remember seeing a list of how he got all of his gym badges and for a majority of them he never even beat the gym leader, he'd lose (or something would interrupt the battle), then he'd prove himself some other way, and then they'd give him a badge without him actually beating them.

Darn millenials with their participation trophies :argh:

I think that by Gen 4 he's been mostly winning his gym battles and doing well by himself. Ironically enough, it's more like 90's participation trophies and having to work for himself once we're deep into the new millennium.

Crabtree posted:

Gary's a loving Pokemon Scholar, Misty's running a gym in who the gently caress cares, Brock's macking on girls somewhere. But Ash? Ash's gotta pretend he's still in his, what? His early 20s at this point?

Brock's a Doctor now. But to Ash's credit, he's finally gonna finish his education this season.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MrSlam posted:

He still has to use his Pokedex. After all these years. To be fair though they keep making more loving Pokemon.

Like Curb Your Enthusiasm but with Pokemon. I wonder how willing Japan would be to take the piss out of that genre.

CYE with Pokemon would actually star Professor Oak as he tries to study Pokemon for his Pokedex project (since IIRC Oak created the Pokedex) on them only to have some guy pop in just as he's almost finished and go "Hey Professor Oak, Professor [tree name] in [New Region] just called to say he found 100 new Pokemon! I guess you'll have to update all your research!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TwoPair posted:

CYE with Pokemon would actually star Professor Oak as he tries to study Pokemon for his Pokedex project (since IIRC Oak created the Pokedex) on them only to have some guy pop in just as he's almost finished and go "Hey Professor Oak, Professor [tree name] in [New Region] just called to say he found 100 new Pokemon! I guess you'll have to update all your research!"

*Frolic played by Hoenn trumpets*

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

readingatwork posted:

I think there's like two Pixar films with this moral.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Waffleman_ posted:

In an interesting bit of news, The Pokemon Company announced today that the broadcast rights for all 19 seasons of the Pokemon anime, the movies, and the upcoming Sun & Moon season are now in Disney XD's hands instead of Cartoon Network. Apparently, TPC was displeased with how CN treated the anime, and I can see that. They pretty much just put it at the rear end end of the morning and nowhere else.

That anime started my freshman year of college and I can't loving believe it's still going. There are adults that were born when that show started.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

raditts posted:

That anime started my freshman year of college and I can't loving believe it's still going. There are adults that were born when that show started.

Lots of animes aimed at little children keep on going for a long while, the main thing is that it's aimed at seven year olds and when they're teenagers and start thinking it'd dumb and drop it... there'll be a brand new crop of seven year olds ready to watch.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I still don't understand the adults who can watch that show religiously. Even as a young kid I thought the Pokemon cartoon got boring and tedious fast.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
They just want to be the best like no one ever was

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

To watch old Pokemon episodes is their quest. To write wikia articles on them is their cause.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MrSlam posted:

To watch old Pokemon episodes is their quest. To write wikia articles on them is their cause.

WIKIA?

Bitch, PLEASE. Bulbapedia is twenty times the quality of the very best Wikia purely by virtue of not being hosted on Wikia.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The parts of the show I remember most fondly are the bits earlier on anyways, when they didn't give a poo poo for how game mechanics were supposed to work and the VAs still couldn't really figure out how to say "pokemon".

At this point, Ash is some kind of weird 30-year-bum constantly moving from town to town like he's running some kind of scam, and palling around with whatever new young kid represents the current generation of the games.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Mob Pokemon Psycho. Ash is the mostly useless adult following around the "real" protagonist, yet the kid believes he's really the best trainer ever.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Even as a kid/young teenager watching the Pokemon anime, I was annoyed at how much Ash bumbled his way to glory. It's all well and good when you start out, but at some point you gotta learn. Granted, I stopped watching sometime after the Mahogany Town gym battle (a legitimate win, IIRC) but before the Blackthorn City gym battle, and it looks like things have changed over time.

MrSlam posted:

Curb Your Enthusiasm but with Pokemon
i must have this

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ash has gotten better about actually winning Gym battles, but he's still an abysmal trainer from the catching perspective, I'd have to double check the exact number but if I remember properly he's only caught like somewhere between 48 and 76 Pokemon(not counting the herd of Taurus he has), not to mention releasing or otherwise getting rid of like at least 10 to 20 of them, which is just really dumb on his part(honestly Ash is too soft as a person and lacking in actual desires to be a good trainer)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

Even as a kid/young teenager watching the Pokemon anime, I was annoyed at how much Ash bumbled his way to glory.

It helps that his best buddy has to be like level 300 at this point.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I recently watched all of Steven Universe, most of Teen Titans Go, and most of the first season of Amazing World of Gumball.

Half the episodes were really annoying. I think that mostly because the creator intended it to be autobiographical and wrote almost all of Gumball's classmates to be annoying. Richard is all right when he's being clever at being lazy, like tricking Gumball into taking out the trash by asking him to play bank robber with the garbage sack. Sometimes they'll have a really funny joke and then negate it by repeating it several times. The animation for Gumball is fantastic and really creative, though. It's just that they have a lot of repulsive gross-out scenes where Gumball is drinking a mix of sweat and used underwear or something. I hear that the other seasons are a lot better, and I guess I've got time.

Teen Titans Go is great. I like that it has episodes that end with everyone turning into household appliances or deciding to reject violence forever. It defies the usual pattern of either having continuity or returning everybody by the status quo by the end of the episode. Steven Universe is better than any cartoon I've ever watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

I'm betting some heads are going to roll at CN over this, cause that's a huge loss for them, not to mention some pretty bad PR as well

Prob'ly not. CN have always been antagonistic as gently caress to outside properties. They barely care for DC (except for TTG, of course) and it took Viz getting the rights to JoJos for Toonami to get a look in when that was WB.

The people who finaly drove TPCI off so they can air more TTG probably got a fair boost to their pay packet.