Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Played a 4 player game of Arkham yesterday. We barely made it through the first scenario alive, I think due to the fact that one guy could not draw anything good out of the chaos bag and kept getting monsters attached. 10/10 will play again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

ConfusedUs posted:

Whoa really?

I pulled the -8 token against one of those and thought I just instantly died. Made me swear off the higher difficulties.

It creates interesting scenarios like if you test against a value of 0, only the autofail token will make you fail. Also, say that you use the flashlight to lower shroud from 4 to 2, then investigate. You are then guaranteed to be able to either get a clue or be able to use "Look what I found"(http://arkhamdb.com/card/01079), since you will always be in range 2, even if you autofail.

Also, autofail setting your skill value to 0 can also be really important, when using the shotgun and damaging another investigator, for example :cry:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That shotgun is no joke, if you find a way to build it up.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Where can I buy this :C

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

What other FFG games lie to you in the tutorial, and how?

If I remember correctly, the tutorial for Game of Thrones has you randomly determine who sets up their face down cards first, but in tournament games both players just flop down their cards simultaneously. Not so much of a lie as a shortcut though.

From memory both Star wars Armada and the Warhammer Quest card game both had major discrepancies between the two books. I don't remember specifics any more.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Crossing my fingers since my preordered core sets are set to ship today. I'm glad to hear it's having a successful launch though if its sold out near everywhere.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Me reading the cards: How bad can the 1/1/3 rats be?

Spoilers! Pretty brutal if you try to ignore them. The last boss of the first scenario is a tank and will knock out Roland in two turns. The rats and the double-action curse on Wendy meant that when the boss turned his attention to her, it was all over. The game punishes you for taking your time, but you probably shouldn't waste the first turn just getting out of the Study. The game lures you into a false sense of power because most of the early enemies go down in one or two attacks, but you need those cards in hand and resources available for the final showdown.

Game is great.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Quidthulhu posted:

Where can I buy this :C

I certainly wish I knew

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

More adventures in Not Knowing the Rules in AHLCG: apparently you clear all the Doom counters when you advance the Agenda deck. I was thinking there's no way to complete the first Scenario in time until I looked it up...

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

More adventures in Not Knowing the Rules in AHLCG: apparently you clear all the Doom counters when you advance the Agenda deck. I was thinking there's no way to complete the first Scenario in time until I looked it up...

As a follow-up to this, you clear all doom counters, not just all doom counters on the agenda. My group screwed this up on the second scenario, which made things quite a bit more difficult....

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Oh poo poo, really? You can clear the counters on enemies?

Man I've been making this game harder for me than I thought.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I had some free time to break out Arkham last night and gave it a try. I wanted to run a solo deck to see if I could hack it so I put together a Skids deck. I made a couple of deckbuilding choices but on regular difficulty I almost made it through the first scenario (I misplayed something at the end-used backstab when I shouldn't have been able to). I think with a better grasp on the rules I should be fine making it through next time. Skids seems easily the best candidate for solo runs mainly due to all the extra actions he can pick up. Having will as his low stat seems to be the least punishing (I'm saying this not knowing all the encounter cards, so there's probably a bunch that hose will I just didn't hit). Most of the time I could easily take out whatever dude showed up with a couple machete hits or a backstab which allowed me to never have a pile of dudes around and freed me to set up for getting clues.

Also want to say that the game's really fun. I actually have all the Arkham Horror board game & expansions, and this gives much the same feel without all the tedious setup/breakdown. I'm kinda disappointed because it's yet another LCG that I'll have to keep up with after I was hoping to limit myself...

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah Skids' high evasion and ability to punish exhausted enemies makes him really good solo. I really want to try building a two core deck with him to see what happens.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How's AGOT 2nd Ed for a casual board game-like experience? My group of friends is HUGE into GoT.

Also, did anyone ever answer that one question someone asked further back in the thread re: Conquest's current situation balance-wise?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Azran posted:

How's AGOT 2nd Ed for a casual board game-like experience? My group of friends is HUGE into GoT.

GoT2E is pretty good from a casual experience. Melee is a really fun format and plays very differently from Joust. The downside is that everyone still needs to know the cards and what to look for from the various factions, and is best when everyone has their own cards. If you aren't super serious about it, everyone could grab a deck with some proxy cards for resources/plots and you could make 4-5 decks from the cores and use those for a while. Core only decks would get pretty old after 3-4 plays.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Alright, thanks for the answer. I'm a bit wary about FFG's LCGs mostly because of limited pack availability in my country, so I think I'll give it a pass.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Was legions of death the final premium expansion for conquest?

Thinking about grabbing every expansion and the tyranids at least while such a steep sale. Yeah the games dead but still fun

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Was legions of death the final premium expansion for conquest?

Thinking about grabbing every expansion and the tyranids at least while such a steep sale. Yeah the games dead but still fun

Where's the sale?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Where's the sale?

https://holiday-sale.fantasyflightgames.com/

All the packs are 3 bucks. Big boxes 10

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Shipping is killer though. My friend tried to get the full on sale Conquest, and shipping was $31 on it, basically nullifying the benefit of the sale.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Meh packs are normally 15, sale for 3 bucks. Anything past 4 packs has paid any and all shipping plus taxes easily assuming in us

Maybe because i need every pack plus 2 and both deluxe boxes has me so Okay with it

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Looks the all but the new Survivor from Dunwich Legacy has been shown off.

Guardian- Zoey
Rogue- Jenny Barnes
Survivor- ???
Mystic- Jim Culver
Seeker- Rex Murphy

Seeing as how they've done of a gender swap from the characters in the Core Set, I wonder who the new survivor is going to be?
Ashcan Pete? Will he get a faithful dog?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Looks the all but the new Survivor from Dunwich Legacy has been shown off.

Guardian- Zoey
Rogue- Jenny Barnes
Survivor- ???
Mystic- Jim Culver
Seeker- Rex Murphy

Seeing as how they've done of a gender swap from the characters in the Core Set, I wonder who the new survivor is going to be?
Ashcan Pete? Will he get a faithful dog?

Do each of them go the opposite direction on the theoretical "class wheel?"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ugh TTS is such an awful interface for AH

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Do each of them go the opposite direction on the theoretical "class wheel?"

I believe they can all use cards from every class, but only the first rank.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Different deck building requirements. They can have 5 of any other class's cards.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

In LOTR, if you have a card that instructs each enemy to make an attack, does that give you window to use Boromir's ability to ready for defense?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

In LOTR, if you have a card that instructs each enemy to make an attack, does that give you window to use Boromir's ability to ready for defense?

Yes.

FAQ posted:

(1.26) Enemy attacks outside of the combat phase
If an enemy attacks outside of the combat phase, it is
still dealt a shadow card at the beginning of the attack.
Then follow the 4 steps under Phase 6 “Combat” in the
rules. Any shadow cards dealt to the attacking enemy
are discarded after the attack resolves.

If this happens during questing this can also allow you to perform actions when you normally can't - for example using Henamarth Riversong part way through staging.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

StashAugustine posted:

ugh TTS is such an awful interface for AH

Oh no. It'll be my first time using it tonight. I have a campaign in progress with a friend but want to try out stuff while my physical cards are occupied. :ohdear:

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 18, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Curse of the Rougarou is available! It's a side quest type expansion for Arkham Horror LCG.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

BJPaskoff posted:

Curse of the Rougarou is available! It's a side quest type expansion for Arkham Horror LCG.

Ordered it today, they shipped it 3 hours later :stare:

My FLGS' distributor is... Not good at getting the POD stuff

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

alg posted:

Ordered it today, they shipped it 3 hours later :stare:

My FLGS' distributor is... Not good at getting the POD stuff

Yeah both of mine said this is "print on demand" so they won't get it for up to 2 months and coolstuffinc is saying sometime in December

Looks like I'm paying full price and I'm down for that

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Huh, so this is POD? Has FFG done stuff like that before?

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah. All of the LotR Nightmare decks are POD.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
This was the quest they released at Arkham Nights this year. The turn around on getting it out in POD is pretty impressive.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

frgildan posted:

This was the quest they released at Arkham Nights this year. The turn around on getting it out in POD is pretty impressive.

Anyone have an opinion on how it plays? Quest worth picking up?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Any idea if you can combine S&H on orders from the Holiday sale and the normal FFG store?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Hauki posted:

Anyone have an opinion on how it plays? Quest worth picking up?

At this point in the franchise, just buy everything so you don't have to worry about things ever being out of print!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kai Tave posted:

All of the LOTR convention adventures. The Massing at Osgiliath was the first time they did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
What does POD mean for someone who can't order from FFG directly on account of living in Europe?