Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I'm having some fun with the Viper-C (5x SPL, 4x MG). Though I'm using 6 weapon groups. It's a fun gimmick mech. Wubble-Crow is still a lot better.

Yea, its fun if not impressively effective.
Im still trying to find that one build thats clicking with me.
Torso-space is the greatest issue imo, since anything stored in arms is usually gone after 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Okay, after further testing if you're a dumbshit like me who likes to give PGI money, the purifier (kit fox clan hero) is the only hero mech worth buying out of the available lot after looking through them. The only reason to do this besides the +30% cbills is because the two side torsos come with two energy hard points each. The kit fox is still a dumpster fire without the side torsos, but with the extra firepower slapped onto it it is really good. PGI decided to give the non-ECM arms on the kit fox +20 armor, which means you can have 40 armor arms. That means your arms have more effective HP than your side torsos.

The kit fox has reasonably large arms that you can block your side torsos with if you torso twist and look up, and with 8 medium lasers and two machine guns with 1/2 tons of ammo, you can fit an additional six heat sinks onto it. Kit fox CTs have an extra 15% heat dissipation for free, so you can generally get 12 medium laser shots off before you have to consider cooling down. If you decide that you need ECM you can use the ECM arm and replace one of your medium lasers with it, but I've been doing just fine running around without it due to how tough its little arms are.

For a comparison to the arctic cheetah-

-It is 35ish kph slower
-If you want ECM, you have to give up a gun
-If you want jump jets you have to give up heat sinks
-It has a wider body, so it can't as easily peak a corner and shoot all of its arm weapons at once
-:10bux:

+If you go for full kill mode without jump jets or ECM you have 8 energy hard points and 2 ballistic hard points compared to 6 on the cheetah. A full outfit can be 8 small pulse or 8 ER medium and 2 machine guns (you CAN do medium pulse lasers but it sucks really bad and you don't cool down.)
+Its arms have +20 armor, so when you torso twist and block properly they will have to bore through that to do you any real harm
+It has +50% acceleration and deceleration quirks, and a +45% turn rate quirk, making it very maneuverable.
+It has five more heat sinks than the small pulse cheetah, and a 15% heat dissipation quirk on the CT. Two of those sinks are in the legs so it can stand in water to cool quicker.
+It has 4 high central mounted energy hard slots in the side torsos compared to the cheetah's two, so it is much better at hill humping.
+People are still ignoring kit foxes because the purifier is new and not a lot of people have bought them, and not a lot of people are using them in this way. They prioritize bigger mechs and cheetahs.
+As far as I am aware (I have done about 5 seconds of verification) this is the most heavily armed light mech you can get in the game.
+You have the option to switch out heat sink tonnage for jump jets or a weapon for ECM.

I'm gonna keep trying different builds to see if anything outshines the 8 ERML/2 MGs, but so far it's been the most consistent performer for me.

Here's a link to the build I'm currently using, since smurfy's just updated to have the clan hero mechs.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=476&l=66f31fecbe04054a8d074669a7612cbf24ff579f

I hope that they do more clan heroes, and that the gargoyle will have side torso weapons. Gargoyle side torso weapons would be a day one buy from me honestly.

edit: The build I posted is definitely as good as it gets. I've had three 700+ damage games in it in a row.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 16, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Commoners that sounds like a legitimately scary mech

it makes me happy because the slower gunboat lights were my favorite back in MW4

shoot I may have to check it out. What is the KFX hero, like 10bux?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah, it's ten dollars. I'm 99% sure that it will get the kit fox nerfed at some point, because if people catch on and start using it then it is going to way outperform everything else. The only problem with nerfing the kit fox exclusively because of the two side torsos is that it will turn the mech into a huge pile of poo poo if you aren't buying the hero mech.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Commoners posted:

Here's a link to the build I'm currently using, since smurfy's just updated to have the clan hero mechs.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=476&l=66f31fecbe04054a8d074669a7612cbf24ff579f

Hows the heat?
I dont mean alpha, i mean 2x4. Im having heat issues on clan assault mechs with 8 mediums.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Hows the heat?
I dont mean alpha, i mean 2x4. Im having heat issues on clan assault mechs with 8 mediums.

Firing 3x4 puts you at 90% heat on forest colony. Each group of four gives you 33% heat, and it takes about 5 seconds to bleed off 30% heat.

It definitely isn't intended to brawl with medium lasers, but with small pulses it can brawl pretty comfortably besides its torsos being pretty fragile since they don't get any structure quirks and it's still a 30 tonner. Using mediums and fighting at their optimal range has given me the best performance out of it, because it makes it easier to withdraw and cool down.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Commoners posted:

Firing 3x4 puts you at 90% heat on forest colony. Each group of four gives you 33% heat, and it takes about 5 seconds to bleed off 30% heat.

It definitely isn't intended to brawl with medium lasers, but with small pulses it can brawl pretty comfortably besides its torsos being pretty fragile since they don't get any structure quirks and it's still a 30 tonner. Using mediums and fighting at their optimal range has given me the best performance out of it, because it makes it easier to withdraw and cool down.

3x4 mediums is 84 damage, which is a lot of damage to put out in a short amount of time

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Sounds amazing for coring butts

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Commoners posted:

I swear to loving god if you make me buy a shitfox...

But you need the hero, right?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Commoners posted:

Yeah, it's ten dollars. I'm 99% sure that it will get the kit fox nerfed at some point, because if people catch on and start using it then it is going to way outperform everything else. The only problem with nerfing the kit fox exclusively because of the two side torsos is that it will turn the mech into a huge pile of poo poo if you aren't buying the hero mech.

It was already a huge pile of poo poo though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Light mechs are the cobblestones making up the road of progress. If one of them sticks up a bit it needs to be smashed back into the ground so the Heavy / Assault freeway maintains unimpeded traffic.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Need Assistance!

This guy was so mad he teamkilled our whole lance.

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs

Ash Rose posted:

Need Assistance!

You're doing the Lord's work. :allears:

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Ash Rose posted:

Need Assistance!

:bravo:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
That is always the best feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrI-UBIB8Jk

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Do we want to do another Centurion pubbie run Sunday night?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

do you even have to ask

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Ash Rose posted:

Need Assistance!

we apologised so many times

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Lord Dudeguy posted:

After last week's event I got myself a max speed Centurion armed with a shotgun. I'm so ready for this.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Pattonesque posted:

do you even have to ask

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
trip report on Commoners' 8 ER-ML hero Kit Fox: it owns

I think maybe I would switch out one of the legs to get some jump jets but I haven't tried it yet

PURIFIER (8 ERML, JJs, No ECM)

Could also try something like this with one fewer ERML and ECM

PURIFIER (7 ERML, JJs, ECM)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Hotfix.

• Stormcrow SCR-PRIME: Fixing an issue where the intended -5% ER Laser Duration Quirk was implemented as a -0.05 ER Laser Range Quirk.
• Kit Fox KFX-S: Fixing an issue where the intended -10% Energy Heat Generation Quirk was implemented as +10%.

Welp, the game is back to all lrms and ppcs. NO hope for playing sober.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 17, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I finally Mastered my Loyalty Centurion after just finishing basicing my A NCIX and AL.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
just saw an urbie carry our team with 6 kills and 950 damage.

tier 5 owns

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Good news: The new event is called the Kerensky Bowl, which is perfect for a lot of the names we use.

Bad news: You can no longer bowl with Dragons. This is always bad news.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754592&pagenumber=450#lastpost

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

oh lordy, :pgi:

From the patch notes:
• Kit Fox KFX-S: Fixing an issue where the intended -10% Energy Heat Generation Quirk was implemented as +10%.

:pgi:

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
What is MWO?
A gripping tale, as visioned by Microsoft Captionbot.

How would you describe Mechwarrior Online to someone that has never been a robot Kerensky? It's tough, because we all carry our own Mechwarrior biases that taint our perceptions. I believe it is impossible for any of us to accurately describe Mechwarrior Online to another human without having our own perceptions and experiences corrupt our Mechwarrior narrative. :(

Fortunately, out friends in Redmond made a solution for us! Microsoft Captionbot, using the powers of science, optics, and possibly nanites, can process images and return 100% accurate, unbiased results! I asked MS Capbot to evaluate my Mechwarrior Screenshots folder so that we could all gain the perspective of a perfect, unbiased, robotically superior megamind. I will share the results with you, because you are the best of friends. Except for Veedub.

There you go. Mechwarrior Online can best be summarized as, "A person carrying luggage past a store display while two non confident giraffes enjoy some green bananas by a fireplace."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That's a surprisingly good event.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
You know, there are only so many mechs in this game, and only so many GOOD/fun mechs in this game.

How can you guys need so many mechbays?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

You know, there are only so many mechs in this game, and only so many GOOD/fun mechs in this game.

Gotta catch buy 'em all.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Anita Dickinme posted:

Gotta catch buy basic 'em all.

FTFY

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Artificer posted:

There aren't that many good mechs. There are a lot more fun mechs.

Also, what's good and what's fun both shift often enough that it's better to just have a huge stable of mechs so you'll have something you can enjoy no matter what instead of hemorrhaging cbills every time they change the balance.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lonjon posted:

What is MWO?

Added this masterpiece to the OP.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Lonjon posted:

What is MWO?
A gripping tale, as visioned by Microsoft Captionbot.

How would you describe Mechwarrior Online to someone that has never been a robot Kerensky? It's tough, because we all carry our own Mechwarrior biases that taint our perceptions. I believe it is impossible for any of us to accurately describe Mechwarrior Online to another human without having our own perceptions and experiences corrupt our Mechwarrior narrative. :(

Fortunately, out friends in Redmond made a solution for us! Microsoft Captionbot, using the powers of science, optics, and possibly nanites, can process images and return 100% accurate, unbiased results! I asked MS Capbot to evaluate my Mechwarrior Screenshots folder so that we could all gain the perspective of a perfect, unbiased, robotically superior megamind. I will share the results with you, because you are the best of friends. Except for Veedub.

There you go. Mechwarrior Online can best be summarized as, "A person carrying luggage past a store display while two non confident giraffes enjoy some green bananas by a fireplace."

:golfclap:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Oh good there is literally no reason to play until the 25th. Excellent event :pgi:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

That comes from the tabletop i guess, where you couldnt slap 3 large+4 mediums on everything but had to work with what the mech had.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

veedubfreak posted:

Oh good there is literally no reason to play until the 25th. Excellent event :pgi:

unless you want a free hero hunchie? or 250mc for like a solid day's component hunting.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 18, 2016

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

woops. quote is not edit.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Rysithusiku posted:

unless you want a free hero hunchie? or 250mc for like a solid day's component hunting.

I need every warhorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Ive never paid attention to that, does a destroyed side torso count as 2 components since it kills off the arm as well?

This will be leg day, all day, every day.

e: hope you manage to get in a game every day for 2 weeks straight without missing a single one if you want that Grid Iron, lol.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 18, 2016

• Locked thread