Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think I've picked up anything from the McElroys.

.....Unless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Unless?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
That's untenable

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

And all the folksy sayings, I've picked up. Like "shoot the cannon indoors", "throw your hat over the fence", "keep your light under a bushel", "if you're going to town, might as well go in a Lincoln", etc. Not quite sunk to the level of "finer than a frog's hair split four ways (sanded down)" yet but I'm getting older, I'm sure that'll happen eventually

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I like this mbmbam where Griffin goes insanely elitist about Pokemon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OncNhxdVR70&t=145s

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

purple death ray posted:

And all the folksy sayings, I've picked up. Like "shoot the cannon indoors", "throw your hat over the fence", "keep your light under a bushel", "if you're going to town, might as well go in a Lincoln", etc. Not quite sunk to the level of "finer than a frog's hair split four ways (sanded down)" yet but I'm getting older, I'm sure that'll happen eventually

"Put the tiger on the table and yell at it", "Part the kimono."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FutonForensic posted:

Which is great because he's 100% wrong because Bug type has gotten buffed ever single gen and they're kind of a loving beast nowadays.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Anyone who has seen his Nuzlocke run knows he is totally fronting because he is not great, though no less fun to watch.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Which is great because he's 100% wrong because Bug type has gotten buffed ever single gen and they're kind of a loving beast nowadays.

Bug type gyms are still generally really early and weak though

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bug types took till fifth gen to get good. If that was pre-gen V that was totally accurate. Besides Scizor and arguably Heracross, nobody used Bug types competitively, and it was only because Steel and Fighting were two of the most popular types in the game, with the former being genuinely broken as a typing to the point where TPC invented another type just specifically to counter Steel. If anything Scizor and Heracross being part Bug was a weakness, since the typing has so many weaknesses, so few strengths, and for the longest time there weren't any worthwhile Bug moves besides X-Scissor.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Counter steel? But fairy is weak to steel.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Bug types took till fifth gen to get good. If that was pre-gen V that was totally accurate. Besides Scizor and arguably Heracross, nobody used Bug types competitively, and it was only because Steel and Fighting were two of the most popular types in the game, with the former being genuinely broken as a typing to the point where TPC invented another type just specifically to counter Steel. If anything Scizor and Heracross being part Bug was a weakness, since the typing has so many weaknesses, so few strengths, and for the longest time there weren't any worthwhile Bug moves besides X-Scissor.
I only really know the first red/blue game but if I recall Pin Missile was a good move, if only because for some reasons certain non-Bug types could learn it (Jolteon comes to mind) and it was good against I want to say Psychic?

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 18, 2016

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Always pretty surprised when people have a Pokemon strategy beyond "I picked this one because its cute".

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kojiro posted:

Always pretty surprised when people have a Pokemon strategy beyond "I picked this one because its cute".

I was going to pick the kitty but I picked the seal because she becomes very pretty.

My favourite pokemon is rapidash because it's a fire unicorn and that's basically maximum cute.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Asiina posted:

I was going to pick the kitty but I picked the seal because she becomes very pretty.

My favourite pokemon is rapidash because it's a fire unicorn and that's basically maximum cute.

I'm gonna pick that Nick Robinson owl

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Kojiro posted:

I'm gonna pick that Nick Robinson owl

I named my Babylowlian :3

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FutonForensic posted:

that's genuinely one of my favorite bits.

"Yea, fire type, so ONE KID WITH ONE BLASTOISE CAN WRECK MY SHOP"

"Ok rock type then"

"THE SAME BLASTOISE"

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Kojiro posted:

Seriously. I haven't played a Pokémon game in years but whenever my Moon comes in (I have a bunch of flights coming up next month and need entertainment) I'm 100% picking only cute or cool looking dudes and dudettes for my party.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Tatum Girlparts posted:

that's genuinely one of my favorite bits.

"Yea, fire type, so ONE KID WITH ONE BLASTOISE CAN WRECK MY SHOP"

"Ok rock type then"

"THE SAME BLASTOISE"

Griffin making GBS threads on Travis is a beautiful thing. This and The Gushie Incident are somewhere in my top ten of MBMBAM moments.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Counter steel? But fairy is weak to steel.

Oh wait, fairy was the dragon nerf. My mistake.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
It's funny because I've heard both Justin and Griff turn on Travis on a dime, and then go full force. It's like every once in a while they have to purge and then they're cool again. drat that's middle child as hell.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDIjvQkaaXs
Hey! This hat wearing geekaboy needs to get outta the way!

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

It's funny because I've heard both Justin and Griff turn on Travis on a dime, and then go full force. It's like every once in a while they have to purge and then they're cool again. drat that's middle child as hell.

I realized early on that most of the things that annoyed me about Travis stemmed from behaviors he developed because he's the middlest brother.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Thank Travis for Travis

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think I've picked up anything from the McElroys.

.....Unless.

I think my vocabulary is like 40% McElroy language now

Big Bidness posted:

I realized early on that most of the things that annoyed me about Travis stemmed from behaviors he developed because he's the middlest brother.

Travis is great.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I have basically never played video games except in the most casual sense, I can't even get past the tutorial for any first-person shooter on even the lowest difficulty setting, but I'm so into all of Nick and Griffin's Polygon stuff. Kind of a masterstroke for Polygon I guess!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Also Travis is a bright shining light of goodness and also character commitment in The Adventure Zone and I think it would be a lesser show without him (though that also goes for the rest of them)

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLUl3WV8AjA

e: oh my god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc2OvHzPXY0

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I will be shocked if there is not eventually a Adventure Zone animated series. I don't know if it would just be using the original audio or if they'd re-record the dialog but whenever I see the Dan Harmon d&d fantasy cartoon thing I just want an AZ show to be real.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Another good one: http://starfishsketches.tumblr.com/post/153008638972/ive-had-this-bit-stuck-in-my-head-for-like-3-days

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1KC8iLhN2M

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Holy poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKpz7zQvHAw

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

showbiz_liz posted:

Also Travis is a bright shining light of goodness and also character commitment in The Adventure Zone and I think it would be a lesser show without him (though that also goes for the rest of them)
I definitely was not expecting Travis to be the best RPer of the bunch, given that almost all his goofs in mbmbam are sentence-long quips and he's rarely willing to even play the straight man when Justin or Griffin want to flesh out a bit. TAZ helps solidify that it's just a middlest-brother thing and he's comfortable improvising in a less established dynamic.

snucks fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 19, 2016

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

snucks posted:

I definitely was not expecting Travis to be the best RPer of the bunch, given that almost all his goofs in mbmbam are sentence-long quips and he's rarely willing to even play the straight man when Justin or Griffin want to flesh out a bit. TAZ helps solidify that it's just a middlest-brother thing and he's comfortable improvising in a less established dynamic.

I think it fits, actually. Clint and Justin are quick to abandon the story and their character in order to make a goof, though Justin has managed to fold that into Taako's personality most of the time. Travis seems much more concerned with the 'reality' of the story and being true to his character, and he's cut off a lot of potential jokes to do so.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Travis did like a 4 hour long AMA on his twitter as Magnus once.

He has fully developed his character.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Travis will legally change his name to Magnus when the campaign is over

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

It makes perfect sense to me that the guy who loved stage acting enough to briefly pursue a career in it (albeit as a set designer) would be the most RP happy.

Also, Travis had me rolling in the latest TAZ. Dude is funny as hell, he just works best when playing off of others. Nothing wrong with that.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

misadventurous posted:

It makes perfect sense to me that the guy who loved stage acting enough to briefly pursue a career in it (albeit as a set designer) would be the most RP happy.

Also, Travis had me rolling in the latest TAZ. Dude is funny as hell, he just works best when playing off of others. Nothing wrong with that.

Did he design shows? I know he was a carp for Cincy Shakes for a while, and he mentioned being in a few shows.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Did he design shows? I know he was a carp for Cincy Shakes for a while, and he mentioned being in a few shows.

Yeah, to my knowledge he worked as a set designer at the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Spaced God posted:

Yeah, to my knowledge he worked as a set designer at the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company

Seems odd that one of the carpenters at a theatre with resident designers would be doing any designs, but alright.