Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Jan posted:

Yeah, since my post, I spent a little while catching up on SSD developments and the 960 EVO seems like it'll be a better value -- provided it's as good as 850, which is my plan B if not. The 850 might not be NVMe but meh.

As for the power supply, well, the HX650 is not available at any Canadian retailers anymore, so the closest choice is the RM650. It also seems like a reliable and quiet product line, so yeah, not a bad tradeoff. I'll put the difference towards a fancier motherboard.

Thanks, I'll stay tuned for the 960s. e: And Black Friday, come to think of it.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#W=500,650&p=1&e=6,5,4

I see an RMx right near the top of the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Khablam posted:

If 1.95v is your DRAM voltage that is very aggressively volted for DDR4-3000. 1.35v is where you want to be.
You can memtest to look for damaged sticks, but largely is the motherboard posts then the RAM settings are fine.

Yea I don't know what that reading was about, i restarted and it's now down at 1.32 and I did the prime 95 test that says it does some memory stuff and it stayed under 1.32

Seems to be all set now

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Yea I don't know what that reading was about, i restarted and it's now down at 1.32 and I did the prime 95 test that says it does some memory stuff and it stayed under 1.32

Seems to be all set now

Did you update the BIOS to the most current release?

If not, be sure to write down exactly what you changed before updating.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Wondering if anyone here would have any suggestions for cheap, decent monitors that have the following:

Display Port, 144hz, matte black coloring

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Wondering if anyone here would have any suggestions for cheap, decent monitors that have the following:

Display Port, 144hz, matte black coloring

Price range and/or desire for G-Sync?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Price range and/or desire for G-Sync?

$250 ish, not that important.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

https://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-1920x1080-144Hz-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0

NOTE: This is just a high-refresh screen, it doesn't even have FreeSync. nVidia sold a "G-Sync upgrade kit" for this monitor that cost an eye-watering $200. This monitor was also released in 2013.

Keep in mind you're not getting anything other than a TN panel at the ~$250 price range if you want ultra-high-refresh. The cheapest you're going to get with G-Sync will be the Dell S2716DG, which is a 1440p TN panel that Dell occasionally sees fit to put on sale for $399. 1080p G-Sync is all but extinct, as the only people left selling them are second-tier resellers who are charging out the rear end for them because ~E-SPORTS~ (turns out it's easier to get 144fps consistently out of 1080p than 1440p, who knew).

-----

Also, while I'm here - people were saying 6GB 1060s for ~$200 were rare leading into Black Friday? Here ya go: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1264797-REG/msi_geforce_gtx_1060_gaming.html (tax in NY)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 18, 2016

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Did you update the BIOS to the most current release?

If not, be sure to write down exactly what you changed before updating.

Yea bios is updated to a version that was released last week

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Is there any real difference, performance or otherwise, between the M.2 and SATA versions of Samsung 850 SSD's?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Boz0r posted:

Is there any real difference, performance or otherwise, between the M.2 and SATA versions of Samsung 850 SSD's?

Nope, except you'll need an mSATA to 2.5" adapter to grandfather it to any future builds.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
anyone see any good 1060 6gb deals for the UK?

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'll second the Asus VG248QE recommendation. It is a good monitor that is below $250 and has 144hz. It's 1080p with a 1ms response time and has DisplayPort. I picked one up at best buy about 2 weeks ago for about $220.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I noticed an issue this morning where my display goes black for a second or two and then comes back. I don't know if it's the video drivers, video card, or the amazon hdmi cable. Everything was running fine for two days.

The black out is very short and it's similar to when you flip screen resolution. Any ideas? I'm gonna try swapping the hdmi cord first.

edit: I have a hunch it is GraphicsCardEngine (32bit) running in my task manager. I think that's the driver for the integrated graphics on the mobo interfering with the new GPU.

Housh fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 18, 2016

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Housh posted:

I noticed an issue this morning where my display goes black for a second or two and then comes back. I don't know if it's the video drivers, video card, or the amazon hdmi cable. Everything was running fine for two days.

The black out is very short and it's similar to when you flip screen resolution. Any ideas? I'm gonna try swapping the hdmi cord first.

edit: I have a hunch it is GraphicsCardEngine (32bit) running in my task manager. I think that's the driver for the integrated graphics on the mobo interfering with the new GPU.

I had this happen on one of my work monitors when the HDMI-DVI adapter I was using was just slightly loose. Check your connections, if it's a software thing then it may well be showing up in the Windows event viewer.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

It seems to be fine after I uninstalled all the gigabyte software that came with my mobo. I think the integrated video driver was conflicting with the new nvidia gpu drivers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CPU cooler died on my Ivy Bridge (LGA1155). Looking for one, preferably with same-day Amazon delivery and found this:
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Singl...6%3A10155283011

Seems like it would be pretty decent. Anyone have any experience with it?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'm sure it will work, but with 6 heatpipes and the size it really looks like it's intended for an LGA2011 or one of the high-wattage AM3 procs and would be overkill on a 95W proc, even with a reasonable overclock. You would be fine with something a lot cheaper like a Hyper 212.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Eletriarnation posted:

I'm sure it will work, but with 6 heatpipes and the size it really looks like it's intended for an LGA2011 or one of the high-wattage AM3 procs and would be overkill on a 95W proc, even with a reasonable overclock. You would be fine with something a lot cheaper like a Hyper 212.

At half the price, I'll deal with it taking a couple extra days delivery. Sold. Thank you!

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I was just about to pull the trigger on an Asus Max VIII Hero Alpha, butter over at Newegg it has a bunch of poo poo type reviews, albeit from people that think a one line review rife with misspelling is helpful, but can someone briefly discuss why one of these ROG boards is better than say an ASrock? Are the quality of life features that much better?

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

osker posted:

I was just about to pull the trigger on an Asus Max VIII Hero Alpha, butter over at Newegg it has a bunch of poo poo type reviews, albeit from people that think a one line review rife with misspelling is helpful, but can someone briefly discuss why one of these ROG boards is better than say an ASrock? Are the quality of life features that much better?

MoBo reviews are just like that. You don't think about it when it works.

If you don't know why you'd need a feature, odds are you don't.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

repiv posted:

IIRC Bluetooth 4.0/4.1/4.2 all use the same hardware, the later versions just add more features to the software side that's handled by Windows.

Perhaps Wikipedia is wrong, but it says that some features will require new hardware.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Got my Newegg order in and processor + Mobo reserved at Microcenter, but I'm thinking of optioning over to an i5-6600k when I go pick them up, except a 212 Evo won't fit in the case I ordered (Fractal Design Core 1100) and I'm afraid an h7 might not arrive in time to test everything, what with the holiday and all.

So, either:
What's the next most popular cooler that'll fit in an mATX case?

Or

What's a cheap, small, good looking case that fits the 212?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

ItBreathes posted:

Got my Newegg order in and processor + Mobo reserved at Microcenter, but I'm thinking of optioning over to an i5-6600k when I go pick them up, except a 212 Evo won't fit in the case I ordered (Fractal Design Core 1100) and I'm afraid an h7 might not arrive in time to test everything, what with the holiday and all.

So, either:
What's the next most popular cooler that'll fit in an mATX case?

Or

What's a cheap, small, good looking case that fits the 212?

I like the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX, though I haven't had it in my hands. It is a front runner for me using the same setup. The case has 200mm of space for the CPU cooler, the Evo 212 is 159mm.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Building a dedicated streaming-PC (As in, I will be encoding/streaming from it, while doing my stuff on my existing machine). Looking for input on this build, as there's conflicting info everywhere about what you really need for a machine that will be used for nothing except encoding/streaming:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FTGx2R

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Real-time encoding of a few mbits or so is not very intensive at all, I comfortably get 5-10x h.264 encoding for 1080p sources on a 6700k before OC, unless I go crazy with the profile settings.
Swap that RAM for DDR4 though.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 19, 2016

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I haven't really used NCIX in a while -- certainly not around Black Friday. It so happens that they drastically reduced price of the CPU, motherboard and power supply I was looking at in what I think is their "surprise special". How spurious are these? Am I likely to find a better deal by Black Friday?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($409.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($349.99 @ NCIX - $30 mail-in)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.98 @ NCIX - $20 mail-in)

E: vvvvvv
Yep, our Black Friday is a pale imitation of the real thing. No stampedes, just orderly Canadians politely apologizing under their breath for getting cut off in line. :canada:

Jan fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 19, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jan posted:

I haven't really used NCIX in a while -- certainly not around Black Friday. It so happens that they drastically reduced price of the CPU, motherboard and power supply I was looking at in what I think is their "surprise special". How spurious are these? Am I likely to find a better deal by Black Friday?

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($409.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($349.99 @ NCIX - $30 mail-in)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.98 @ NCIX - $20 mail-in)

The first question to ask is "do you live within three hours roundtrip of a Micro Center?"

Oh wait, Canada. Never mind.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bought things at Micro Center last night. Got an open box Asus Z170-AR complete - still in static wrap, all bits present, everything looked good - for $120. They seemed to think I'd still be able to claim the mail in rebate for another $25. They gave me $30 off for bundling with their $180 6600k.

Good time to buy, I suppose.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Crucial MX300 525GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive

Any idea how the above compares with an 850 evo? I was going to grab an 850 but it looks like the price jumped up a bit on them (at least on amazon). The price on this seems pretty good but I didn't see any good comparisons.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Combination Peeta posted:

Crucial MX300 525GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive

Any idea how the above compares with an 850 evo? I was going to grab an 850 but it looks like the price jumped up a bit on them (at least on amazon). The price on this seems pretty good but I didn't see any good comparisons.

http://www.storagereview.com/crucial_mx300_ssd_review

If you're quick on the draw, 1TB 850 EVOs will be $250 at Newegg on BF.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 19, 2016

eternalbuffalo
Jun 8, 2005

Life still hard.
Hi everyone.

I am posting this because I am not sure where else to ask, and I am certainly not what you would call 'part smart' - one video card to another, different types of RAM, it all kinda baffles me to a degree.

The thing is that I found out a few years ago I could lease a computer so I signed on to get myself an Alienware X51. Back then, it was a really good machine in terms of running which games I wanted and the like. It still runs awesome to this day and I really have no solid complaints about it except now the video card is out of date with newer games. Being a smaller case, the card is a mini version. This makes it a little hard to upgrade in terms of my options but I don't have a ton of cash for a whole new rig.

The idea is floating around that I can transfer the entire motherboard into a new larger case, but I am not sure how viable that would be. So I guess my question is this: Is that something I can do safely? Will it work?

And exactly what video card should I be looking for?

Some details:

- I game. I play pretty much anything but shooters are my general choice. I want to be able to run DooM 2016 and Dishonored 2.
- Budget is not large: 400 max.
- I live in Canada, if that matters at all, and my province does not have a ton of options in terms of stores: Best Buy, Walmart, a few mom and pop stores. That being said, I would probably just order online.
- I want to be able to run these games in an enjoyable fashion, I don't need Ultra graphics (though that would be delightful) but I just wanna be able to run it and enjoy it while playing it in terms of graphics - no stuttering, tearing, etc.
- I attempted to run DooM 2016 and it blue screens on me or just hangs in blackness.

Specs:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 3.4 GHz
Number of Cores 4

RAM 8.0 GB

Video Card 1:
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Manufacturer Intel
Chipset Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Dedicated Memory 64 MB
Total Memory 1.7 GB
Pixel Shader Version 5.0
Vertex Shader Version 5.0

Video Card 2:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Dedicated Memory 2.0 GB
Total Memory 3.9 GB
Pixel Shader Version 5.0
Vertex Shader Version 5.0

I can provide further info if needed.

What are my options here?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

eternalbuffalo posted:

Assuming that's a non-overclockable 3770, go with a 6GB 1060.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Okay So i'm back with an updated list based on your guys' recommendations.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($190.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B150 PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($39.95 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($139.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $543.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-19 18:47 EST-0500

How does it look now?

Also a few more questions:

I've only ever heard of newegg and amazon for pc parts. Are these other retailers trustworthy?

PC Partpicker estimates the wattage at 215. Will my power supply be alright? I've no plans for overclocking or anything fancy except adding my old HDD and in the future, an SSD.

Do I need an aftermarket cooler or more fans?

Thank you guys for your help.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

eternalbuffalo posted:

- I game. I play pretty much anything but shooters are my general choice. I want to be able to run DooM 2016 and Dishonored 2.
- Budget is not large: 400 max.
- I live in Canada, if that matters at all, and my province does not have a ton of options in terms of stores: Best Buy, Walmart, a few mom and pop stores. That being said, I would probably just order online.
- I want to be able to run these games in an enjoyable fashion, I don't need Ultra graphics (though that would be delightful) but I just wanna be able to run it and enjoy it while playing it in terms of graphics - no stuttering, tearing, etc.
- I attempted to run DooM 2016 and it blue screens on me or just hangs in blackness.

[....]

You might want to diagnose this before you go further. It really should not do that. Doom 2016 works on your existing setup, albeit not at wonderful settings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Q_c9fkTnY. This is usually temperature related on those desktops, they are not well cooled.
Those alienwares are m-ITX boards, so any case that will house a m-ITX board will work. The PSU is custom so you'll need a new one.
When you're moving it be sure to properly clean and re-paste the CPU cooler.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What monitors are you guys rolling with? I'm falling in love with my system and I think it needs a proper monitor. I'm going to be on the look out this BF for deals.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Housh posted:

What monitors are you guys rolling with? I'm falling in love with my system and I think it needs a proper monitor. I'm going to be on the look out this BF for deals.

Pretty much any proper 1080/1200/1440p IPS display will be an upgrade over a 'common' LCD. It entirely depends on what you're looking for - your options are pretty wide-ranging in the "I just want a monitor capable of 'wow' image display," but narrow considerably once you start saying "I want something ideal for fast-paced gaming."

The monitor thread would be better at answering your question than I or pretty much anyone in here could.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I didn't even think about case cooling. The case I have has two 120mm exhaust fans (besides the fans attached to the PSU and CPU cooler, of course.) There are places for intakes but maybe just the exhaust will create enough airflow?

I doubt there's any way it'll get hot enough to cause damage, so I guess I could just run something demanding and keep an eye on temperature. But I'm always curious about goon thoughts.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Boxman posted:

I didn't even think about case cooling. The case I have has two 120mm exhaust fans (besides the fans attached to the PSU and CPU cooler, of course.) There are places for intakes but maybe just the exhaust will create enough airflow?

I doubt there's any way it'll get hot enough to cause damage, so I guess I could just run something demanding and keep an eye on temperature. But I'm always curious about goon thoughts.

You generally want to encourage flow-through, because *just* exhaust means you can develop 'hot spots' within the case where hot air can matriculate and 'stall' before it can be whisked out. If anything, I'm contemplating reversing a few fans in my Air 540 because at present I've got 4x140 blowing *inward*, and only one 140mm actively exhausting air. It might be better were I to reverse the two side 140s to blow outward.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Boxman posted:

In general it's good to try to create positive pressure. That means more intakes than exhausts. This way you'll always have fresh air and in theory you'll have less dust in the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You generally want to encourage flow-through, because *just* exhaust means you can develop 'hot spots' within the case where hot air can matriculate and 'stall' before it can be whisked out. If anything, I'm contemplating reversing a few fans in my Air 540 because at present I've got 4x140 blowing *inward*, and only one 140mm actively exhausting air. It might be better were I to reverse the two side 140s to blow outward.

Once you have at least one fan coming in, and at least one fan going out, any other fans offer extreme diminishing returns on performance against noise. Or even just performance. Your config is probably on-par for cooling and great vis-a-vis positive pressure.