Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Baby I Love Your Way is a very fun song to learn on guitar. Just throwing that out for whoever cares and might need something fresh to work on.

Frampton rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Comfort Strapps for life.

http://comfortstrapp.com/

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah gently caress talking about music i need to ask which straplocks sit closest to the body

(frampton is a cool dude)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

canyoneer posted:

Comedy answer:
Get a strap that looks like CAUTION or POLICE LINE yellow tape.

Hey now! :mad:

Although I've upgraded from "CAUTION tape" to "BIOHAZARD" to "RADIOACTIVE", which fits the costume the most.

God, I put so much thought into impressing drunks.

EDIT - I also acquired yet another strap with skulls on it, this one for my Harmony/Silvertone Rocket-thing, please help me.

After The War fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 17, 2016

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

yeah gently caress talking about music i need to ask which straplocks sit closest to the body

(frampton is a cool dude)

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/17/470807870/peter-frampton-tiny-desk-concert This is so good like the dude just bleeds music and looks like he's having the best time

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My wife was holding my phone when I got an alert that I received a counter-offer on Reverb and she asked me what that was all about. I tried to explain that it's kind of like meteors or asteroids or whatever, and that she'd rather not know about all of the close calls we have or else she'd spend all day staring up at the sky worrying :(

Also this is a sick deal for anyone wanting more P90s in their lives:

https://reverb.com/item/3344975-michael-kelly-valor-ii-vintage-p90s-2015-rootbeer-flame-maple

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Everyone needs a p90 at least once. I found myself playing my Chinese LP jr. More than my Gibson atm - there's something very mojo about playing a 1 pickup, 1 volume, 1 tone geetar into a Marshall (Friedman kekekekeke).

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Yeah Epi LP Specials with P90s are a guitar I recommend a lot for people just getting into playing for something that's dirty cheap, sounds great, and isn't absolute crap.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have a vintage and spent a little cash for a hand wound p90 and it's got some crazy raunch.

Q) is a vibe plus fuzz a one trick pony?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

fullroundaction posted:

Yeah Epi LP Specials with P90s are a guitar I recommend a lot for people just getting into playing for something that's dirty cheap, sounds great, and isn't absolute crap.

LP junior doublecuts with dual p90s are where it's at.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

LP junior doublecuts with dual p90s are where it's at.

I've got the Fender version of that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i love phagz amps

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

That p90 strat is awesome, what does it sound like? Les-paul-ish? Or still stratty?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

field balm posted:

That p90 strat is awesome, what does it sound like? Les-paul-ish? Or still stratty?

throaty distortion, gritty crunch tones, bell-like chimey cleans

there I've just hit the magic trifecta

▲ ▲

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love SGs, and on youtube a popular vintage music shop posted a '61 Les Paul "SG" that a collector probably wouldn't be interested in (re-necked, one pickup is suspected not to be original). Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKXs06HmYgo

I know nothing about vintage instruments. What do you think this guitar is actually worth?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Speaking of SGs I got some free VIP tickets to see The Damned last night and Captain Sensible rocked a cool SG, sounded really good.

He's in there somewhere on the left :v:

After the gig I turned around and he was stood next to me, we were in a small area above everything, pretty much up in the lights. It was surreal and cool!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Speaking of shows, I saw Dillinger last weekend. Here's someone else's video of me getting a flying elbow to the back of the head from their singer:

https://youtu.be/LSVnFqbg4Co

In guitar news, one of their guitarists was playing a Vigier blackout strat which was super cool, and the first Vigier I've seen in the wild. Such an awesome show. I've been a fan since I was a part of the NJ hardcore scene in the late 90s, and I'm glad I got to see them for their final farewell.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Sockington posted:

I've got the Fender version of that.

Must say this is pretty sweet. I have something similar that I used a chisel to rout for a humbucker in the neck. Ended up putting a hum-sized p90 like those instead. Have a bucker in the bridge and have 1 tone and 1 volume. Thinking of changing out the bridge pickup to a p90 the same way as that.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I'm in the market for something shreddy. Currently leaning towards Ibanez RG something or other and am going to hit up my local shop to tool around on a few. My budget is around 600 so probably going to go used regardless, especially as anything I have leftover gets to go into pedals and poo poo.

Currently I've got a LP, Silverburst Tele and one of those Joyo vintage OD pedals to run through my Blackstar HT-1. This post is twofold as I don't really know poo poo about Ibanez (or the other makers in this segment) and wouldn't mind some guidance on models to look out for, and also suggestions on some inexpensive pedals (reverb, gnarlier OD?).

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

fullroundaction posted:

Speaking of shows, I saw Dillinger last weekend. Here's someone else's video of me getting a flying elbow to the back of the head from their singer:

https://youtu.be/LSVnFqbg4Co

In guitar news, one of their guitarists was playing a Vigier blackout strat which was super cool, and the first Vigier I've seen in the wild. Such an awesome show. I've been a fan since I was a part of the NJ hardcore scene in the late 90s, and I'm glad I got to see them for their final farewell.

I was never a fan of Dillinger until I saw them live back in the day, they opened and were in a side room of some divey bar venue. I'm surprised people didn't knock down the walls.

Semi-guitar related I went to a show last week with Plini opening for Animals as Leaders and it was awesome. My current desire for something with a fast neck surely has nothing to do with this experience.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 20, 2016

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I used to look at people like Tosin and write off the kind of stuff he does as guitar/pickups/effects based and I could probably do that with enough practice. And then I see his random instagram videos of him picking up whatever 6 string happens to be in the room and doing the same thing with no FX rack and I'm like ... why do I even play.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Is it normal for my fret hand (especially the muscle between my thumb and index finger) to get super exhausted by playing fingerstyle songs. I guess generally it would just be playing arpeggios, but I only really do this for entire songs for playing fingerstyle patterns over the chord progression of a song. For example I have been practicing House of the Rising Sun for a couple of months and my hand still gets exhausted to nearly giving out by the end of the song every time I play it, which is several times a day. This same thing doesn't happen from fretting the same chord shapes through songs if I'm strumming, or if I'm flat-picking all individual notes or playing scales.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Quite A Tool posted:

I'm in the market for something shreddy. Currently leaning towards Ibanez RG something or other and am going to hit up my local shop to tool around on a few. My budget is around 600 so probably going to go used regardless, especially as anything I have leftover gets to go into pedals and poo poo.

Currently I've got a LP, Silverburst Tele and one of those Joyo vintage OD pedals to run through my Blackstar HT-1. This post is twofold as I don't really know poo poo about Ibanez (or the other makers in this segment) and wouldn't mind some guidance on models to look out for, and also suggestions on some inexpensive pedals (reverb, gnarlier OD?).

I have an RG Prestige and an S Series, the Wizard iii neck on the S is my preferred for fast playing as its wider and flatter but either are great. If you go the RG route either get one with aftermarket pickups (DiMarzio, Duncans) or leave enough in your budget for them. For what my RG would have cost me new (i traded a Jaguar for it) I would have been a bit peeved. I switched the magnets round in them which improved a bit but really need to get some Invaders or something in there.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm an Ibanez S player, so that's what I like. But yeah, Ibanez pickups are junk. Get one with Dimarzios or Seymours in it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
When my S arrived I initially thought the box was empty, how the hell does a guitar so light sustain so well?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Maybe take a look at Schecter guitars if you're looking for something in the Ibanez vein

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Quite A Tool posted:

if you're going used a jackson dk2 is within your budget and comes with duncan pickups stock

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fullroundaction posted:

I used to look at people like Tosin and write off the kind of stuff he does as guitar/pickups/effects based and I could probably do that with enough practice. And then I see his random instagram videos of him picking up whatever 6 string happens to be in the room and doing the same thing with no FX rack and I'm like ... why do I even play.

Sometimes his music falls entirely flat on me but not only is he realistically the most knowledgeable and talented player alive but also completely formed his own style. He's a beast on many levels.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

if you're going used a jackson dk2 is within your budget and comes with duncan pickups stock

Some of those hot rod designs would fit in nicely in the ugly guitar thread

edit: but I saw a blue flame that was really nice

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 21, 2016

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
So if I went Jackson something like this? It'd be nice to be closer to 400 than 600 as that would leave me room for pedals and poo poo.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/5836444927.html

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Quite A Tool posted:

So if I went Jackson something like this? It'd be nice to be closer to 400 than 600 as that would leave me room for pedals and poo poo.

To live in America. I don't know Jacksons, but from what I've seen looking at them that seems like a pretty decent deal.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Quite A Tool posted:

If you don't mind the HSS setup that's a fuckin steal.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's the finish I was talking about. It's purty. There's a similar guitar on Reverb but no Floyd and much more expensive.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

maybe not quite steal but definitely reasonable

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 21, 2016

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

fullroundaction posted:

My wife was holding my phone when I got an alert that I received a counter-offer on Reverb and she asked me what that was all about. I tried to explain that it's kind of like meteors or asteroids or whatever, and that she'd rather not know about all of the close calls we have or else she'd spend all day staring up at the sky worrying :(

:lol: nice save

Quite A Tool posted:

Semi-guitar related I went to a show last week with Plini opening for Animals as Leaders and it was awesome. My current desire for something with a fast neck surely has nothing to do with this experience.

They are finally coming through Asia and I am hype as all hell. Plini has quickly become one of my all time favorite musicians, all of his stuff just clicks with me for whatever reason.

When Tosin was doing his masterclass tour, Ibanez convinced him to add a date in southern Taiwan(no one ever goes outside of Taipei, in the north), and I wound up interpreting for a good portion of it. That was a pretty cool experience. Real nice guy and definitely knows his poo poo. Even just watching him warm up was a learning experience.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

this is a stickup posted:

Plini has quickly become one of my all time favorite musicians, all of his stuff just clicks with me for whatever reason.

Some of the riffs on his album are pure loving bliss. They make me wish I had somehow found them first.

e: quick question in case anyone has been in the same situation. I'm planning on getting Logic Pro X by Christmas. Would it make sense to buy Superior Drummer or would that be redundant considering Logic's Drummer is a thing? It's on $99 at Sweetwater right now.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 22, 2016

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
FYI, Sweetwater has Superior Drummer on Black Friday sale for $99: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SupDrum2e

Kilometers Davis posted:

Some of the riffs on his album are pure loving bliss. They make me wish I had somehow found them first.

e: quick question in case anyone has been in the same situation. I'm planning on getting Logic Pro X by Christmas. Would it make sense to buy Superior Drummer or would that be redundant considering Logic's Drummer is a thing? It's on $99 at Sweetwater right now.

Hahaha, what timing!

I have Logic Pro X, and the answer to your question is: if you want specific control over the drums, then you want Superior Drummer. Logic's drummer you can vary a lot, and it's easy as hell to use and sounds good, but you can't "write" drum parts with it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have no idea what to look for in an acoustic electric, but I am considering getting one as a gift for someone. Can anyone give me information specifically about acoustic electrics or whatever acoustic with a pickup, as far as what are indications of good quality? Also a good resource for buying a decent one relatively inexpensively?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lumpy posted:

FYI, Sweetwater has Superior Drummer on Black Friday sale for $99: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SupDrum2e

Hahaha, what timing!

I have Logic Pro X, and the answer to your question is: if you want specific control over the drums, then you want Superior Drummer. Logic's drummer you can vary a lot, and it's easy as hell to use and sounds good, but you can't "write" drum parts with it.

Does that come with samples or do you have to buy those separate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Spanish Manlove posted:

Does that come with samples or do you have to buy those separate?
Superior Drummer 2.0 comes with 20 GB of meticulously sampled quality drums, recorded in the legendary Avatar Studios in New York City by engineer duo Neil Dorfsman and Pat Thrall together with drummer Nir Z.
Then you buy the other packs separate. They've got a black friday weeklong thing going on their webstore if you're interested https://www.toontrack.com/black-friday/