Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQseahtPVAA&t=119s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
someone had the idea to try Microsoft Teams for Business with my team. highlights:
  • notifications don't include the message text, just "<name> replied to your message"
  • intuitively, there's no notification at all when a file is shared in a channel
  • conversations in each channel are threaded, but the interface presents it as a chat room. so your instinct is to just type and go and then it makes a new thread
  • threads are displayed in the chat in the order of most recent message, so you'll have conversations spread out over multiple threads (see above) appear completely out of order
  • when you have a room open, you'll get bright, obnoxious notifications for activity in that same room showing up in the notifications area, but an almost imperceptible "New Messages" popup actually visible in the room
  • when that popup appears, it steals keyboard focus if you're typing

slack killer.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
someone at microsoft actually said "you know what slack is missing? threading, in the middle of a realtime conversation"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

chmods please posted:

someone had the idea to try Microsoft Teams for Business with my team. highlights:
  • notifications don't include the message text, just "<name> replied to your message"
  • intuitively, there's no notification at all when a file is shared in a channel
  • conversations in each channel are threaded, but the interface presents it as a chat room. so your instinct is to just type and go and then it makes a new thread
  • threads are displayed in the chat in the order of most recent message, so you'll have conversations spread out over multiple threads (see above) appear completely out of order
  • when you have a room open, you'll get bright, obnoxious notifications for activity in that same room showing up in the notifications area, but an almost imperceptible "New Messages" popup actually visible in the room

slack killer.

another quality microsoft product

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

oh right lol

oddly enough, we never saw the flies when they were alive, only after they died

the popular theory was that a raccoon got caught in the rafters and died

that wasn't quite as bad as the time an asylum patient shat in front of our door (one of the cheap complexes next door to us was a mental ward)

seeing a Mormon midget pick up poo poo is one of the funniest things ever, btw

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

leftist heap posted:

a few pages back there was talk about retraining users from bad software. when i did contracting for the provincial government their users had a pathological fear of the back button in their browsers from years and years of lovely webapps that couldn't handle it. they always always requested a soft back links for everything and were wary when i would tell them "you know you can just use the back button right?"

it's still a problem lol. worked with government over the summer, their webapp broke on back

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Arcsech posted:

well i mean, my prediction would be walls that look like a preschool because people will start writing on the walls assuming they've been whiteboard-painted and welp

lol its this

we also just throw the markers and erasers on the floor next to the walls like cavemen

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
they painted whiteboard paint on the walls here except that it's actually black and it's not actually whiteboard paint. it's just this glossy black paint. they provided some sort of special paint markers too and these erasers that basically look like mr clean magic erasers and probably are. they're just as ablative as mr clean magic erasers and if you try to erase anything they rapidly begin to disintegrate in your hand

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
in the winter here there's always a shitload of dead flies and ladybugs that pile up near windowsills, idk where they come from or what they eat to survive

also were near a wooded area so when it starts getting cold a shitload of box elder beetles cover the building to overwinter

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Phobeste posted:

they painted whiteboard paint on the walls here except that it's actually black and it's not actually whiteboard paint. it's just this glossy black paint. they provided some sort of special paint markers too and these erasers that basically look like mr clean magic erasers and probably are. they're just as ablative as mr clean magic erasers and if you try to erase anything they rapidly begin to disintegrate in your hand
in the majority of my building my options are those weird foam blocks and actual whiteboard erasers so heavily caked in previously erased crap that they just smear. it's just the majority because sometimes there will be just one or neither of those options

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

so they claim it integrates with skype 4 biz. this is what actually happens:

1) someone starts a new one-on-one conversation in skype 4 biz
2) teams gets it first, and shows a new conversation notification in the lower right corner of the screen
3) s4b gets it a quarter second later and shows a new conversation request window in the lower right side of the screen, covering the one from teams
3a) if you click "accept" in s4b, it opens the conversation, and teams has no record of it existing
3b) if you click "reply" in teams, it opens the conversation, and s4b never sees it. however, it will show up on your skype 4 biz mobile app, and say that the conversation has been connected elsewhere

microsoft

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

chmods please posted:

slack killer.

its got built in teleconferncing/video sharing which... ugh wahtever I wish slack had just added that because my company is moving to teams. I'm going to keep the slakc ghetto alive as a place to hang out (it's like my companies yospos), but god drat why didn't we just stay with loving skype for business then - it's the same thing?

e: oh wait, with teams you can just wander into existing/ongoing meetings so I guess there is that.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

chmods please posted:

2) teams gets it first, and shows a new conversation notification in the lower right corner of the screen
3) s4b gets it a quarter second later and shows a new conversation request window in the lower right side of the screen, covering the one from teams
3a) if you click "accept" in s4b, it opens the conversation, and teams has no record of it existing
3b) if you click "reply" in teams, it opens the conversation, and s4b never sees it. however, it will show up on your skype 4 biz mobile app, and say that the conversation has been connected elsewhere

microsoft

same

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

skype for business text chat is poo poo, teams is also poo poo

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Agile Vector posted:

half the time the problems, for us, are people treating the cables like poo poo so they just break and since theyre almost exclusively vga so ever clunky hp from 2005 can still project in every room theyre prone to all the usual pin issues too

not even corporate can escape the tragedy of the commons
is that irony? it feels like irony

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

OldAlias posted:

it's still a problem lol. worked with government over the summer, their webapp broke on back

yeah when I did poo poo for the government i tried my best to make webapps that actually behaved OK wrt to things like back and refresh and had, you know, useful URLs, but most people i worked with were too stupid for that poo poo.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

KoRMaK posted:

oh wait, with teams you can just wander into existing/ongoing meetings so I guess there is that.

finally, a teleconferencing solution that recreates the awkward moment where someone walks into the wrong room

technically we also have that now but its because we all share the tp number so people just pop into view at random then excuse themselves like a weird game of corporate hollywood squares

c daily tps: had the best dialin ever while sitting at home today. we not only dialed in successfully, but also added a line, then they connected us to another person. i will never talk to the remote participants again

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

literally everything microsoft tries to ape ends up being poo poo garbage, and its almost always because they have some other company/infrastructure that they bought and they feel like they HAVE to use it

we were evaluating office 365 and thought, "hey, maybe one drive for business would make a good alternative to box"

lmao

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
remember how second life tried to advertise itself as a way to host virtual meetings lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol just lol
iI wish it were tho just so i could have fuckin piston arms and when the devs babble some bs i can send an endless stream of dicks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

chmods please posted:

microsoft

don't run skype 4 b and teams at the same time. they are both skype 4 b clients

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Shaggar posted:

don't run skype 4 b and teams at the same time. they are both skype 4 b clients

is skype4b really so lovely it can't candles multiple clients connected simultaneously in tyool 2016

I mean, I know the answer to that question but seriously what the gently caress

And the really sad part is that we switched from skype4b to jabber and jabber is a thousand times worse in every way

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Arcsech posted:

is skype4b really so lovely it can't candles multiple clients connected simultaneously in tyool 2016

I mean, I know the answer to that question but seriously what the gently caress

And the really sad part is that we switched from skype4b to jabber and jabber is a thousand times worse in every way

s4b doesnt do offline messaging or even chat history, whats the loving point of using it if I have to send a loving email or check outlook half the time

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Tatsujin posted:

s4b doesnt do offline messaging or even chat history, whats the loving point of using it if I have to send a loving email or check outlook half the time

Afaict our jabber doesn't do chat history either. At least with s4b it put it in outlook

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
what the gently caress is the point of yammer

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

FrozenVent posted:

it exists so my boss can decide we're going to use it, get everyone to sign up for it and then unceremoniously drop it in less than a month

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
sametime is the only good business chat app. unfortunately it comes with notes

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
is Spark still a thing these days?

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

FrozenVent posted:

microsoft moneygrab for dumb execs who decided that since they can't keep people off facebook all day they might as well make it a work-facebook, without understanding that the last loving people you want to interact with on facebook is coworkers.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
we have yammer at work. it's run by and consists of the marketing team almost exclusively outside of a few directors and upper levels that took pity on their group and joined in. no one else uses it.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

we have yammer at work. it's run by and consists of the marketing team almost exclusively outside of a few directors and upper levels that took pity on their group and joined in. no one else uses it.

ours got set up a few years ago and they were scrambling to set rules on it not long afterwards (2012, lol). we replaced it with Jive last year which lets the internal marketing people handle news stories and poo poo a little better but it still gets very little use.

when we went to shut down yammer we were told we can't because apparently the financials department had REALLY taken to it, and were the only people to post more than a message a month in the whole time it was live.

but speaking of outdated technologies, i just submitted a request to our telecomm people to ask if they can just turn my loving voicemail off. my boss cannot loving let go of VM, no matter how many times I've told him it's a waste of time and it slows me down in getting him a response. got another 2 minute long one last night that i just loving deleted. hopefully they'll let me shut it off and force the issue, though i expect the answer will be no.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Maximum Leader posted:

sametime is the only good business chat app. unfortunately it comes with notes

surprisingly, the enterprise im system built on eclipse isn't the worst one available

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

carry on then posted:

surprisingly, the enterprise im system built on eclipse isn't the worst one available

ibm makes better software than microsoft, but that's an extremely low bar to pass

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have not checked my work voice mail nor answered my work phone in over two years

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

same re: vms but i find it much easier to agree to a bunch of things over the phone and then not do them than in person

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Bloody posted:

i have not checked my work voice mail nor answered my work phone in over two years

same, op

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

haha i just found out that ms teams threaded messages thing and :laffo: what a goddam retarded decision

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
threaded chat is retarded and its gonna take a while for them to pull it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Iridium posted:

microsoft moneygrab for dumb execs who decided that since they can't keep people off facebook all day they might as well make it a work-facebook, without understanding that the last loving people you want to interact with on facebook is coworkers.

My company piloted Facebook At Work (now Workplace By Facebook) and it's trash

• Locked thread