Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr Pepper posted:

I chased Lightbringer VI and got literally every relic on the banner but it.

Never chase.

I chased Lightbringer VI except I got it on the dollar pull.

I think the moral is instead "do dollar pulls".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I won't lie, I'll be a bit disappointed if I don't get OK BSB in two 11-pulls, but that's still just a 30.31% chance, so I'll be perfectly happy with Luneth's BSB, OK's SSB, or Arc's new SSB.

Obviously OK BSB is the big prize, but I have zero native 5* relics for III so literally anything represents an improvement. The only way I'll be disappointed is if I get nothing but Arc stuff, because I could really use some melee synergy.

I'll have like 430 mythril by the time OK starts (unless the buff lucky draw drops between now and then and is curated enough that I decide to do it), but I do have a bunch of other pulls I want to make over the next couple months so I can't go too overboard. I'll probably make 3 pulls, max. If I get OK BSB or 2+ melee weapons before that I'll stop.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

I won't lie, I'll be a bit disappointed if I don't get OK BSB in two 11-pulls, but that's still just a 30.31% chance, so I'll be perfectly happy with Luneth's BSB, OK's SSB, or Arc's new SSB.

What "sucks" (world's largest airquotes) is that I was pretty resolute about not chasing Vessel of Fate before Ramza's brand new USB was revealed. I love Tictacs and Ramza to death, whereas Onion Knight is a red nobody from a game I don't care about. I thought I'd be happy just getting by with Shout and Sheepsong... but Vessel of Fate, and Onion Knight, really are that good. And there's good, solid synergy for an OK/Ramza pairing in the future. If I want to keep using my boy Ramza without him feeling redundant, pointless or outdated, I'll need new SBs for him to pair with Vessel of Fate. Chant would be good but the new USB buff would be absolutely perfect... and of course, for that pairing to matter at all, I'll need the Onion Gauntlets. So now I'm going from one don't give a gently caress pull on OK 1 to gauging how many pulls I can afford to spare for that one item, complete with potential heavy disappointment, whereas I didn't even want it that much as little as a week ago. gently caress!!!

Shoenin posted:

and with that, I bid so long guys, I am done with this game for good if its going to give me a giant gently caress you like this.

Yeah, that's probably a good call. Nine tenths of your posts in this thread and the last were bitching, you'll be happier not bothering. Honest.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So hard not to pull on this banner, but I've only got 90 mythril in the bank right now and there's too much good stuff coming up. Also hard not to blow all these growth eggs, but I know I need to save them in case I get an insane relic for some random character I haven't leveled yet, which is almost all of them.

Making slow progress with my hones, too. I'm back to being able to take out the U and U+ fights without much trouble. This U++ looks pretty nuts, but I *do* have Greg's BSB, so maybe it won't be so bad. It is going to feel so good when I finally pull that drat Wall and I can start RWing fun damage stuff so that every U and above fight isn't just a major slog when I run out of hones and have to rely on SBs to finish stuff off. That or I need to snag one more good mitigation SB - Vaan's would be nice but I'm not crossing my fingers.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
I just can't be assed to pull more than once on most banners, unless the first pull is very unusual.

Kain's BSB is pretty good, and I get fan pulls (Onion banner is going to be hard for me, I have nearly 400 Mythril when it comes up and I am the strange person that genuinely likes Onion Kids and I am a pretty large FF3o fan...), but the moment I got a native Boostga/Faithga for FF4 I'd have just shrugged and went "oh okay got one of the solid items off, now the banner is way worse, rip pulling more on it".

I've got two pulls budgeted for Onion 1 but if I only make one, it'll be unsurprising.

'sides Onion Gauntlet comes back on two soul-crushingly good banners(One with every single piece of Onion gear on it and the other being the amazing Ultros banner. Concievably we might get our own poll for Ultros banner... if so it'll still be on it...).

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
According to Reddit, anyone with a good mage team (or AoE-heavy phys team) will have a very easy time with this event's U++. Like, "kill it before its main mechanic happens" easy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm ready to go all in OK if I have to. My ff3 synergy is non existent so way I see it I win even if I lose.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I had 50 mythril so I used the 50 mythril and I got 2 5*s. Abel's Lance and Sleipnir's Tail. They good?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Charles Bukowski posted:

I had 50 mythril so I used the 50 mythril and I got 2 5*s. Abel's Lance and Sleipnir's Tail. They good?

They're only both of the bursts on this banner.

Lemme spell out the Kain strategy for ya. You're gonna wanna pack Lifesiphon and the new Lightning Dive once you get it. Lifesiphon up to the burst, use it. Do damage, get enthunder. First burst command removes delay from your next two jumps. Use that and then two Lightning Dives. That's all you need, since the second command will restore your ability charges. Use the Burst again whenever possible, since enthunder will make it even stronger. Congratulations, you're wrecking anything that doesn't resist thunder.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Charles Bukowski posted:

You got two En-Element BSBs. They're very good. Arguably the grand prizes of the banners.

Abel's Lance has Kain do AOE damage and gain En-Lighting. His Burst Commands restore one of your commands and remove the delay on Jump attacks

Rydia's is simpler, just AOE Earth damage, En-Earth, and the Brust Commands are Single Target and AOE Earth/Non-Elemental Damage.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Haha yay! Kain was always my favourite from FF4 but this is my first relic for him and frankly he's not been treated well in this game so far. Actually I think this is my first relic spear with anything good on it. I only had that generic fire spear from FF12.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Alxprit posted:

Use the Burst again whenever possible, since enthunder will make it even stronger. Congratulations, you're wrecking anything that doesn't resist thunder.

Seriously an Elemental Soul Break while under the effect of it's En-Element is absurd. It boosts the final damage by 80%

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
And the real kicker is that the new Dragoon ability is a thunder element 4-hitter. Thus far, the only elemental 4-hitters have been Burst commands and those are definitely powered at 4* level. Dragoon's Glory-powered Lightning Dives are almost definitely going to hit for 40K on thunder-weak enemies.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

According to Reddit, anyone with a good mage team (or AoE-heavy phys team) will have a very easy time with this event's U++. Like, "kill it before its main mechanic happens" easy.

I'm more worried about the Cid's Mission U+. No Dancers makes it difficult considering you have to deal with five enemies at once. I'd say scrap Edward, but you need a debuff for the medal condition.

If I can do it with only one healer, I'd probably go Rosa/Edward/Cecil/Golbez/Rydia. If I really need to get Porom for extra healing, I'd probably drop Edward and have Cecil bring Magic Break.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm more worried about the Cid's Mission U+. No Dancers makes it difficult considering you have to deal with five enemies at once. I'd say scrap Edward, but you need a debuff for the medal condition.

If I can do it with only one healer, I'd probably go Rosa/Edward/Cecil/Golbez/Rydia. If I really need to get Porom for extra healing, I'd probably drop Edward and have Cecil bring Magic Break.

Don't worry about medals. You don't need to complete mastery with the Cid Mission team, it only costs 1 stamina to go back and wreck it with your A-team for mastery.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I only have 50 mithril and debated rolling on this IV banner as my IV synergy is garbage, but my III synergy is worse, plus OK. Gotta go with III.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Yeah, that's probably a good call. Nine tenths of your posts in this thread and the last were bitching, you'll be happier not bothering. Honest.

Yeah pretty much, dunno bout last thread though <_<
But its been pretty clear Ive had to force myself to continue to play through the events. This pull wave was pretty much the last straw.

Anyway its been fun gents, godspeed and goodluck.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Also, the 100 gem pull from that nightmare banner gave me my 4th Assault Gun, which I'm taking means the game is punishing me for not mashing three of them together then reforging so whatever let's do this

Gimme Barret's SSB. Fulfill the Prophecy.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The only character I've 'completed' in RK thus far is Agrias (since she only has two SBs atm), but I also have pulled multiple relics for Pecil, Gilgamesh, Yuffie, Squall, and Vivi. Oh and Tyro but I feel like he shouldn't count since he has about a billion relics.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

The Paradox Alpha Ult+ fight, is there any exploit I should be trying before I jump into it? Is it the one that I should be doing drawtaliate for?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Shoenin posted:

Yeah pretty much, dunno bout last thread though <_<
But its been pretty clear Ive had to force myself to continue to play through the events. This pull wave was pretty much the last straw.

Anyway its been fun gents, godspeed and goodluck.

I'll miss you. it was fun reading your rage posts in Skinner's voice :rip:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Zebia posted:

The Paradox Alpha Ult+ fight, is there any exploit I should be trying before I jump into it? Is it the one that I should be doing drawtaliate for?

No, drawtaliate is for the U++ fight. Not really any gimmicks to speak of for the U+, just make sure you focus on dealing damage while it's charging the orb. It resists fire/ice/lightning/wind though, so keep that in mind.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
U+ is pretty pretty much just a straight up hones/general competency check with no real gimmicks and a surprising amount of HP(considering no weakness), that probably would make me cringe if I hadn't been fighting U++ for a while now.

I think the only really super notable things are that, with the gimmick with the chargeup, A: Break timers pause(thankfully) while he's untargettable, and B: If you have a PBlink, you only miss medals if you see Ultimate Ground Slap twice, so if you want you could just use that on the three turn timer one. (Or maybe just tank it, I don't know how actually damaging it is.)

If you do that, you'd probably want to just do normal attacks during that timer to save hones, of course.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Decided to pull once on this banner, because my IV mage synergy is abysmal, nor do I have a Medica for it, and also always-be-pulling-in-moderation...

Mission loving successful. And my first BSB finally oh my god!! :aaaaa:

Guess I gotta hone Chain Stonega at some point. Or maybe even have Titan as my first 5* summon.

(edit) Wait, duh, I just realized I have Rosa and her Curaga+Magic Blink medica. This is why I shouldn't make pulling decisions when I wake up. :v:

Attestant fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 18, 2016

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Dr Pepper posted:

For instance, Paperwind has Rosa's SSB. Rosa has Support 4, so slap her bow on her, give her a good bracer and an ATK accessory and her Breakdowns will do decent damage. With that they can have a CM Team of DCecil/Porom/Rosa/Yang/Other FFIV physical character. Throw out the stacking boostgas, use Rosa's Medica when needed.

This is actually not a bad idea. Other FFIV physical would be my record-dived and SSB-having Kain. I hadn't realized the two boostgas would stack, so that's a spicy meatball.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

Also, the 100 gem pull from that nightmare banner gave me my 4th Assault Gun, which I'm taking means the game is punishing me for not mashing three of them together then reforging so whatever let's do this

Gimme Barret's SSB. Fulfill the Prophecy.
Him and Tyro are the only people that can use it anyway - until they release Dyne or something - so probably not a bad idea

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Gah I want to pull on this so bad just because I have literally zero IV synergy aside from a couple 4+ weapons, but I just don't think it would leave me with enough mythril for all the good stuff that's coming.

I've got 90 now and I know for sure I want to pull on OK, OSB Fest, Minfilia, maybe the XIII banner, the guaranteed BSB Lucky Draw, and that crazy Nightmare Lucky Draw with all the mage stuff. Assuming one pull each, that's 225 mythril spread from now til the beginning of January - 275 if I can save enough for XIII, too. We are getting 50 more from that Thanksgiving daily rewards, and I'm guessing we get some for Christmas too? Still don't think I'd be able to swing a draw on this Kain banner, too, unless I'm underestimating how much mythril we'll get between now and then.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How the hell does Tyro use a gun-arm?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Fister Roboto posted:

How the hell does Tyro use a gun-arm?

probably with a hacksaw

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Shoenin posted:

and with that, I bid so long guys, I am done with this game for good if its going to give me a giant gently caress you like this.

"loving Terra"

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I am very happy right now. I will be very sad when this doesn't happen on OK.

FruitPunchSamurai fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 18, 2016

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Kains bsb + Kaiser shield + lightning dive + Dragoon RM is pretty darn silly

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Still sad I didn't get Kain's BSB, but I am embracing Yang's SSB after the initial disappointment.

Turns out that I can run an effective Earth squad consisting of mostly mages. I even have two Earth-boosting robes in my inventory. I may have to hone Titan down the line, but here is what I am thinking:

Against naturally earth-weak bosses:
Rydia/Krile/Tyro/Rosa/Wild Card

Easy enough since I have Sheepsong and SG. I can pack both natural Faithga and Wall. Just RW any BSB that does Earth damage and has an Earth command. Probably follow a few Rydia RWs and have Krile or the Wild Card mage pop it off. Tyro is there to apply Full Break and get SG up ASAP via Lifesiphon, and Rosa is Wrathing up Divine Heal.

If the foe is not weak to earth, then Yang comes to bear in the Wild Card with his imperil Earth SSB. The team composition and RW choices would remain the same otherwise. Perhaps spec Tyro toward MAG and he could also summon the RW.

This all changes down the line with Gaia Cross and future banners, but it's nice to have a totally unique team setup to whip out if I get bored with my usual physical A-team's wrecking ball.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
So, how do you use a Mage BSB anyways?

Normal skills charge the soul break pretty slow, so would it be worth using something like Mako Might or Ace Striker, instead of a damage boosting RM?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

ApplesandOranges posted:

Master it first with A team. Go back and win sloppily with CM team. That's the only sane way to do CMs

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I wish IV had a good breakdown character besides Rosa, darn it.

Elewem
Dec 4, 2013

Jar Jar Binks in my Spirit Animal
Pulled Abel's Lance, and was disappointed due to it not being a Sleip Tail and the fact that I left kain in the 30's level wise. Then I read what all it did. I still want a Sleip Tail, but this is a pretty good consolation prize. I read someone mentioning an upcoming new skill called Lightning Drive, though I feel like I'm far from being able to get it, something to look forward too though.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Well, for those of us that missed out on Rydia's BSB, there's another shot next week!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Elewem posted:

Pulled Abel's Lance, and was disappointed due to it not being a Sleip Tail and the fact that I left kain in the 30's level wise. Then I read what all it did. I still want a Sleip Tail, but this is a pretty good consolation prize. I read someone mentioning an upcoming new skill called Lightning Drive, though I feel like I'm far from being able to get it, something to look forward too though.

You should definitely never be disappointed by getting a BSB. poo poo is good, yo.

Even the "bad" ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elewem
Dec 4, 2013

Jar Jar Binks in my Spirit Animal
Yeah I'm still fairly newish. I have maybe 4-5 characters at level 65. Seeing all the talking of BSB's, and OSB's I knew what the letters meant, but never really looked into functionally what they meant. All I've gotten before now is Supers, Uniques and Shareds.

• Locked thread