Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Aatrek's favorite episode, "The Juvenilia Society."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Five Nights In Sick Bay
Chaotica's Betrothed
Kes Is Old And Mad
Course: Morrowind
The Siege Of Alamo-558
The Trebuchet Of Kahless

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
e: turns out it has been mentioned. The Greatest Generation is awesome. I wish they'd put the episode name in the title; I don't memorize production numbers.

Related, does anyone listen to Mission Log? For some reason I've become increasingly bored of them, which is weird since they are just getting into the meat of TNG that I like.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 18, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

01100011 01110010 01100001 01110000

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
Captain's Halloween
Comb of Honor
Kardashians
Turnabout Visitor

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

MisterBibs posted:

e: turns out it has been mentioned. The Greatest Generation is awesome. I wish they'd put the episode name in the title; I don't memorize production numbers.

Related, does anyone listen to Mission Log? For some reason I've become increasingly bored of them, which is weird since they are just getting into the meat of TNG that I like.

I've just found out about The Greatest Generation and I can confirm it is really fun, a nice podcast for not taking Trek so seriously and it's already given so many characters a character trait or running joke that enhances the viewing or listening experience. They really hit on the right approach to appeal to a mass audience and not the hardcore Trekkie.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I like how they keep referring to ships and shuttles as various old cars, especially the rounder shuttle from the first couple seasons, aka "the Toyota Previa of shuttles."

I still enjoy Mission Log but I agree that they're in a bit of a lull. Maybe it's just the relative weakness of the episodes they're covering right now. TNG Season 5 drags a ton in the middle, at least for me. Still over a year until they hit DS9, too. :psyduck:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Deep Space Eight (The Ocho)

Doggles fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 18, 2016

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I've been hopping around, but I need to find where they decided that Riker was obsessed with consent. I figure it had to be early on. Riker being called out as having all the sex will never get old though.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Riker having a consent fetish somehow seems so perfect that I just kind of see it as a natural part of his character now.

...except for that whole episode where he's possibly a rapist :smith:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

NowonSA posted:

I've been hopping around, but I need to find where they decided that Riker was obsessed with consent. I figure it had to be early on. Riker being called out as having all the sex will never get old though.

I want to say The Vengeance Factor is where he first makes it verbally explicit that boinking has to be between equals, but I might easily be forgetting some earlier example.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The_Doctor posted:

A Glass Fell Over on Deck 12

Upper Deckers

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

more like The Motionless Picture, am I right y'all?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

McNally posted:

Star Trek IV: We Need to Go Back, I Forgot My Wallet

Star Trek IV: Double Dumb rear end on You
or; The One With The Whales

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So does Starfleet specifically only promote crazy people to Admiral or does the act of being promoted to Admiral make you crazy?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

So does Starfleet specifically only promote crazy people to Admiral or does the act of being promoted to Admiral make you crazy?

In order to get to Admiral you have to spend a long time as a captain dealing with all the insane poo poo captains deal with on a weekly basis.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

Admirals are the people they no longer can trust with a ship.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Explains why they promoted Janeway.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

Starfleet has an ingenious system where there are secretly two types of admirals: the real ones and the powerless 'promote them the gently caress out of the captain's chair' admirals whose only job is to relay things to Picard on the phone.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can't recall if this thread has ever talked about Genesis II, but

it sounds loving bonkers.

This is really neat and insightful, thanks. They could use a proofreader at trekmovie.com though, jeez.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tragedienne posted:

Turnabout Visitor

A Captain Nick Wright adventure?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Chiming in to say I too love The Greatest Generation. I have a long commute and while I usually listen to the news, some days when I'm tired and coming home I'd much rather forget that Dukat just got elected president and instead imagine that I have two buddies in the back seat who like making dick jokes about Trek episodes. :smith:

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I'm very impressed that they somehow missed Gowron's head vulva. They don't go for the obvious.

(And 100% Worf banged Pulaski in the space Irish episode guaranteed, I don't know how I missed that before)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

If nothing else, TGG will inform you of who was banging who, whether it's subtly implied or outright stated. Even going with just plain text and not subtext, TNG puts the original series to shame in the sex department, upgrading it from basically just Kirk to Riker, who makes Kirk look like a chaste Christian, and his roaming band of sexual dynamos. And you add to that the Holodeck, which you know had to be used as the personal sex palace of so many characters...

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Riker totally would've been down for a threebe with Picard and that holodeck lady in the episode where those computer aliens trick everyone off the enterprise and hijack the ship but Picard was way too big of a prude to get down that way. You could see the lusty gears of rikers brain spinning away when she told Picard not to go and Riker was all like yeah stick around wink wink. A sexual dynamo if there ever was one.

And that's to say nothing of the nerdy flipper alien that outright blackmailed him into humping when he was in that alien hospital. Actually finding the guest stars he didn't nail might be the shorter list

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I want a STO expansion where all of Riker's illegitimate kids band together to take down the Federation.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Pokemaster #421 posted:

And that's to say nothing of the nerdy flipper alien that outright blackmailed him into humping when he was in that alien hospital. Actually finding the guest stars he didn't nail might be the shorter list

This isn't really a Riker Thing, though. An alien Bebe Neuwirth is still Bebe Neuwirth, and no man would turn that down.

Question about The Greatest Generation to those who have listened longer: do the hosts actually dislike Mission Log, or is it a joke? I was listening to an episode last night where their joke about not being invited to some podcast thing turned from "Heh, that's funny" to "This is getting uncomfortable" rather quickly.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

It was a running joke at the beginning before they became the biggest Start Truck podcast. They have long since disavowed punching down at the less popular Star Trek pods. They were slightly annoyed not to be asked to attend some Star Trek pod meetup in Vegas but they also didn't seem to actually want to go.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wait, are you telling me there's a con for Star Trek podcasts?

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

I think it was a regular Star Trek con that has a pod panel.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Doggles posted:

Deep Space Eight (The Ocho)

I've always wondered why fighting with giant q-tips was the "ultimate form of martial arts"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TheBigAristotle posted:

I've always wondered why fighting with giant q-tips was the "ultimate form of martial arts"

After WW3, humanity mildly mutated to have denser than normal ear wax. As such, Q-tips became much more valued, as they weren't able to be produced because of all the warfare. People regularly fought and killed each other over them.

Over time, they were able to be produced and all was well, but humanity never forgot fighting over sticks with round tuffs on the end. So as new forms of ritual combat came up, they used the the same shape they once killed over.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

MisterBibs posted:

Question about The Greatest Generation to those who have listened longer: do the hosts actually dislike Mission Log, or is it a joke?

Maybe it was a little of both at first, but it's probably just a joke now or they wouldn't have turned it into that west coast/east coast hip-hop gag.

The Post-Atomic Horror has also poked fun at Mission Log on occasion, so maybe it's just a fairly common thing for the comedic podcasts to take shots at the more analytical ones, like how just about everyone busts out an NPR voice once and a while.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TheBigAristotle posted:

I assumed to repel the Ferengi

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Those are Ferengi sex toys.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Starfleet has some hosed up values. Worf's brother has his entire life ruined and becomes suicidal. He comes to Worf for an assisted suicide ritual so he can die with dignity but everyone is outraged and shits all over their culture as barbaric and wrong. The happy ending is that they wipe his memories in his sleep to make him into a new person.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pwnstar posted:

Starfleet has some hosed up values. Worf's brother has his entire life ruined and becomes suicidal. He comes to Worf for an assisted suicide ritual so he can die with dignity but everyone is outraged and shits all over their culture as barbaric and wrong. The happy ending is that they wipe his memories in his sleep to make him into a new person.
I guess that's at least consistent with the TNG episode where Worf breaks his back and tries to get Alexander to put him out of his misery, and the human crewmembers are horrified

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want a STO expansion where all of Riker's illegitimate kids band together to take down the Federation.

This but they band together to take down Thomas Riker.

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Actually finding the guest stars he didn't nail might be the shorter list

Marina Sirtis bragged that she banged every male guest star.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 19, 2016

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Even the guy from MASH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Doctor Butts posted:

Marina Sirtis bragged that she banged every male guest star.

Shut up, liar, of things impossible