Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Sarkozy For Prison 2016! Lock Him Up!
Not used since Berlusconi's Mediaset conviction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vJvwD3XADc
Still i will wait for it to actually happen before celebrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:iceburn:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Well someone is probably betting Trump will damage America economy so much, liberating the spending could allow some countries to spend their money to attract fleeing American corporations, not help the citizens. Watch germany spend billions, moving COCA COLA HQ from Atlanta to Munich.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 16, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

:getin: full big government now :gizz:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MiddleOne posted:

And then he announces his intent to reform the Holy Roman Empire.

I'm on board.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://twitter.com/carstenbrzeski/status/798987298306068481

It's exactly the same stuff they are preaching for years, but at least it made you guys feel good I guess.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

MiddleOne posted:

And then he announces his intent to reform the Holy Roman Empire.

Interesting. Tell me more.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

It's exactly the same stuff they are preaching for years, but at least it made you guys feel good I guess.

No it's not - this is the first time that the Commission has called for a 'positive fiscal stance' overall in the Eurozone. The Commission and the Council have been calling on Germany to raise public investment for years, but not to increase its deficits. I'm afraid nothing much will come of it though because Germany's economists live in a fundamentally different intellectual universe, but maybe the election will help.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

GaussianCopula posted:

Cant wait to see Wilders use this during Dutch election season going all ''we have to pay for lazy eastern/soutern europeans AGAIN!!!" and watch him gain another 20 seats in the polls.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Some light reading
http://www.elgaronline.com/view/journals/ejeep/13-2/ejeep.2016.02.06.xml

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Pluskut Tukker posted:

No it's not - this is the first time that the Commission has called for a 'positive fiscal stance' overall in the Eurozone. The Commission and the Council have been calling on Germany to raise public investment for years, but not to increase its deficits. I'm afraid nothing much will come of it though because Germany's economists live in a fundamentally different intellectual universe, but maybe the election will help.

Read the actual report here http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-16-3711_en.htm

quote:

From the perspective of the Commission, Member States in the Excessive Deficit Procedure and others still needing to progress towards their medium-term budgetary objective should continue to do so, as recommended to them. Member States with fiscal space should be encouraged to carry out a more expansionary fiscal policy, including by making full use of the tools of the Investment Plan for Europe in order to maximise the impact on the real economy, such as guarantees to the European Fund for Strategic Investments.
To support this process, the Commission will continue to apply the Stability and Growth Pact with the economic reading which the rules foresee, including taking account of the challenges and priorities of the euro area as a whole. This approach is also reflected in the opinions on the 2017 Draft Budgetary Plans of euro area Member States adopted today (see below).

Or read the Annex that details what the EC wants every country to do here http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/economic_governance/sgp/pdf/dbp/2016/communication_to_euro_area_member_states_2016_dbp_annex_en.pdf

This is nothing new, even if some guy of Twitter wants you to believe that it is.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Let's hope not. After having our countries hosed by these policies for almost a decade now I bet I'm not the only one in the south that wants "austerity for everyone, forever" if only to wipe the smug of the northerners that spent the last years telling us "having hospitals or schools is above your means, deal with it". Everyone should get the full austerity experience, see how they like it. See how true the "there is no other way" adage is. Not very it seems, once it starts affecting "people that matter".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MeLKoR posted:

Let's hope not. After having our countries hosed by these policies for almost a decade now I bet I'm not the only one in the south that wants "austerity for everyone, forever" if only to wipe the smug of the northerners that spent the last years telling us "having hospitals or schools is above your means, deal with it". Everyone should get the full austerity experience, see how they like it. See how true the "there is no other way" adage is. Not very it seems, once it starts affecting "people that matter".
Everyone has had austerity, Northern economies are just fundamentally more compatible with that of Germany so we haven't had our politicians haven't had an excuse to go as far.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Everyone has had austerity, Northern economies are just fundamentally more compatible with that of Germany so we haven't had our politicians haven't had an excuse to go as far.

No friend, "all of us" didn't "have austerity". Austerity is going to the hospital and dying in a stretcher after 20 hours because having neurosurgeons during the weekend is "above our means".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

No friend, "all of us" didn't "have austerity". Austerity is going to the hospital and dying in a stretcher after 20 hours because having neurosurgeons during the weekend is "above our means".
Austerity is cutting spending (generally services and welfare) in the name of a budget surplus/balance. That we started at a higher level and have sounder economies just means it hasn't dipped anywhere near as bad as it has in the south.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Austerity is cutting spending (generally services and welfare) in the name of a budget surplus/balance. That we started at a higher level and have sounder economies just means it hasn't dipped anywhere near as bad as it has in the south.

I'm sorry but saying that you had austerity is like a billionaire saying "I'm starving". Yeah... you had cuts but those cuts didn't really cause people to die, abandon school, or leave the country in droves because there is zero hope of a better future. And having to listen to foreigners telling you that you have been "living the life" and "there is no alternative" on top of that really didn't help swallowing it down.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I don't think our economies where sounder, or that the southern economies where that unsound, they where just driven by domestic consumption rather than exports. And the euro forces everyone in it to basically become an export economy. As per the link I posted earlier.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

I'm sorry but saying that you had austerity is like a billionaire saying "I'm starving". Yeah... you had cuts but those cuts didn't really cause people to die, abandon school
Except for all the cancer patients, who are getting massively shafted in the current round of cuts. At least I'm pretty sure not getting treatment, or even being told the result of biopsies, can kill if you've got cancer. As for abandoning school, we'll have to see, now that they're finally taking on the student allowance.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't think our economies where sounder, or that the southern economies where that unsound, they where just driven by domestic consumption rather than exports. And the euro forces everyone in it to basically become an export economy. As per the link I posted earlier.
I wrote "have sounder", not "had sounder".

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

-

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 17, 2016

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I wrote "have sounder", not "had sounder".

I had a reply and all, but honestly I am just really confused at this so I deleted it. Best I can tell, have/had... It doesn't make a difference, our economies where/are export driven, the souths where/are domestic demand economies. One type works in the eurozone better (though none work well).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I had a reply and all, but honestly I am just really confused at this so I deleted it. Best I can tell, have/had... It doesn't make a difference, our economies where/are export driven, the souths where/are domestic demand economies. One type works in the eurozone better (though none work well).
What I mean is, the economies of the south are clearly not sound within the current expression of the logic of the Eurozone. That this might very well have more to do with the logic of the Eurozone being unsound is another matter entirely, the mismatch is still largely being felt in the south rather than the in the core of the EU.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Merkel apparently announced that because to Trump, TTIP is loving dead. Hail Satan.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What I mean is, the economies of the south are clearly not sound within the current expression of the logic of the Eurozone. That this might very well have more to do with the logic of the Eurozone being unsound is another matter entirely, the mismatch is still largely being felt in the south rather than the in the core of the EU.

OK we're on the same page then.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
There is only one single person that can save the world and why the gently caress does it have to be Merkel?! I'm looking at you Justin Trudeau you juvenile little brat.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
The irony of Melkor complaining about Northern Europe "not experiencing austerity" while his government expects a bailout from countries with GDP per capita under 10,000 euros in Eastern Europe.

Yeah those guys really need to pay for your hospitals and teachers. All these Portuguese dying prematurely because of a lack of hospitals (= same life expectancy as Finland and Germany, who are also expected to pay for your spending).

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Geriatric Pirate posted:

The irony of Melkor complaining about Northern Europe "not experiencing austerity" while his government expects a bailout from countries with GDP per capita under 10,000 euros in Eastern Europe.

Yeah those guys really need to pay for your hospitals and teachers. All these Portuguese dying prematurely because of a lack of hospitals (= same life expectancy as Finland and Germany, who are also expected to pay for your spending).

Yes, all of this is very ironic. A great jape really, but ask for me tomorrow and you shall find me a grave man.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 17, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

There is only one single person that can save the world and why the gently caress does it have to be Merkel?! I'm looking at you Justin Trudeau you juvenile little brat.
Merkel can't take credit for St. Trump killing neoliberalism.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

Read the actual report here http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-16-3711_en.htm

Or read the Annex that details what the EC wants every country to do here http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/economic_governance/sgp/pdf/dbp/2016/communication_to_euro_area_member_states_2016_dbp_annex_en.pdf

This is nothing new, even if some guy of Twitter wants you to believe that it is.

Dude, I did read the Annual Growth Surveys for the previous years, as well as a bunch of the Country-Specific Recommendations detailing what the Commission and Council want member states to do. This year's call for a positive fiscal stance is a change in comparison to previous years. You can find the AGS's here if you don't believe me.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Biggest economic growth in the eu last quarter bitch,we'll be bailing YOU out next. And all we had to do was become the retirement home of europe

So easy bing bing bong

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That Obama is anointing Angela "Schaüble is in my government" Merkel as the last hope of western civilization against populism is very funny, given how Angela "the entire continent must submit to deflationary austerity" Merkel is largely responsible for so many European countries being tempted by populism.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Think about is this way though:
It's so much harder to go from absurdly opulent to very rich than from starving to dead.

I hope I made you think. :D

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Not to mention that Schaüble is, essentially, a populist, just one that appeals to a different kind of national pride than what most other modern examples of populists do.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
For the non-Germans, it's Schäuble.

And Greece grew unexpectedly this quarter? It's at least a small glimmer of hope that things might get better, despite austerity.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

It's actually the French's fault for creating the Euro and forcing it on everybody

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

caps on caps on caps posted:

It's actually the French's fault for creating the Euro and forcing it on everybody
And we will play the it's "Germany fault for not killing us all first" card. :france:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

caps on caps on caps posted:

it's Kohl's fault actually, he could have said Nein (and skip the Wiedervereiningung, too!)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

throw to first drat IT posted:

Merkel apparently announced that because to Trump, TTIP is loving dead. Hail Satan.

Seeing same reports in local news now. Hail orange satan?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Seeing same reports in local news now. Hail orange satan?

It was most likely already dead even before his election.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Torrannor posted:

It was most likely already dead even before his election.
It was basically admitted as "dead" two months ago because :france: but let's blame the far right for it, sure. :rolleyes: If it's just to explain the american people why it failed without telling the true.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't TTIP terrible?