Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

so i am now officially certified as an epic web developer or whatever, but now that i can actually start working on my project again i am having a lot of trouble shifting my brain back into give-a-gently caress mode. i hate having to context switch from doing nothing but doing code-along tutorials to actually working on something substantive again. it's the downside to the way epic does these monolothic "camps" to train people on stuff.

i feel you i got pulled off my normal thing to do a SUPER CRITICAL TOP PRIORITY!!1!!1! thing for a couple weeks and after getting back to my usual project it took me a whole day to figure out how to do a thing that i should normally be able to do in like 15 minutes

congrats, btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

so i am now officially certified as an epic web developer or whatever

congratulations

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I'm definitely a little bit jelly shoegaze

I'll try using daemon+clients (and thanks to others that suggested that). probably have to setup an alias for 'vi' if I want to have a chance of success :sigh:
here's my tiling-within-iterm setup on osx:

emacs on top, shells on the bottom. then more shells inside of iterm tabs, with shell things going on inside them.

it works for me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i've tried learning emacs several times over the last few years and just cannot get over the initial hurdle

then again i don't like vi(m) much either

too much of a gui nancyboy i guess

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gvim is vgood

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

for whatever reason whenever i've needed a quick+dirty text edit i've always gravitated to nedit, and pico/nano on the cli

as for programming, eclipse because i get lost and confused without go to definition etcetc

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

so i am now officially certified as an epic web developer or whatever, but now that i can actually start working on my project again i am having a lot of trouble shifting my brain back into give-a-gently caress mode. i hate having to context switch from doing nothing but doing code-along tutorials to actually working on something substantive again. it's the downside to the way epic does these monolothic "camps" to train people on stuff.

are you sure that's the downside???

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

quiggy posted:

this is especially fun in a pre-C++11 environment, because std::map::at doesn't exist. in c++11 and later you just call at() and wrap that in a try/catch and call it a day, but in c++03 you instead have to call find() and check the returned iterator for equality with end() to know whether or not the thing you're looking for exists. map::operator[] is a massive horror and i always make sure to call out why im doing what im doing in comments when i use it

doesnt std::map::count exist in c++03?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

its cool that theres at least some form of training tho

agreed. usually there's still a months-long process of deciphering the horror of actual production code, but it's nice to have a solid base to work from. nobody gets dumped into their job here with no idea how poo poo works.

Soricidus posted:

congratulations

thanks. not that web forms is exactly a hot resume item these days :). but at least i "know" type script

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i use vi if I'm ever doing a thing over putty but gently caress if i enjoy the experience

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

are you sure that's the downside???

i mean, personally, i think it is unqualifiedly good that a capitalist enterprise is willing to pay its employees to spend a month+ at a time being trained on the tech they work with and doesn't expect them to produce during those time periods. how many places will pay you to just go learn a new framework for 5 weeks? it's nice that they value keeping us informed and up-to-date (relatively speaking) on our skills.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Flat Daddy posted:

so after i saw visual studio for mac was released yesterday i opened up our asp.net project in it and it just freaking works. amazing

wat

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

well my employer sure pays for a lot of posting learning time

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

mirth is the same way. the training wasnt bad but i know more about dicom than ill ever need to know in any circumstance.

health interoperability is bad

edit: good in theory but bad in reality

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

current terrible programmer interview status:

looks like I got better at whiteboarding but got worse at thinking. 4 technical interviews, 1 lunch that totally isn't an interview we promise, and 1 interview with the sdev manager. overall a good experience. now it's time to sit in the airport think of everything I did wrong

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Ciaphas posted:

i've tried learning emacs several times over the last few years and just cannot get over the initial hurdle

Zmacs and Fred were nice and had real GUI

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shaman Linavi posted:

I did a great interview and the interviewer was really excited, then I found out the job was in Jersey City, the downside of listings with Greater New York Area and had to cancel.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bone app the teeth posted:

or windows server lmao

windows server is the best

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

windows server is the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo&hd=1

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FrexxEd is nice and fast and scriptable (three things you don't expect from an editor from 1993) and I'm using it now for my Amiga C adventures

I can even run smake with a key chord which SAS/C's built-in editor is too dumb to do for some reason

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

MrMoo posted:

I did a great interview and the interviewer was really excited, then I found out the job was in Jersey City, the downside of listings with Greater New York Area and had to cancel.

"greater new york area" always means new jersey. how did you not know the company location before you interviewed?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

the thing with emacs is that by default its godawful garbage and only really becomes usable after you've curated a snowflake config of your own for months/years/decades

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

at this point i use eclipse for java and emacs for everything else (lately cpp/python/go/bash/md)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

the thing with emacs is that by default its godawful garbage and only really becomes usable after you've curated a snowflake config of your own for months/years/decades

this one weird little tip for getting an accurate github-style rendering of .md files: just query github, lol!!

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

throwing things on AWS as a way to unload responsibility for them is a recipe for disappointment

nah it's p great

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

you've seen my app????

i think more like he's seen any jquery based app.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
sql is so good guys. postgres is the best.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Shaman Linavi posted:

looks like I got better at whiteboarding but got worse at thinking. 4 technical interviews, 1 lunch that totally isn't an interview we promise, and 1 interview with the sdev manager. overall a good experience. now it's time to sit in the airport think of everything I did wrong

if the lunch was with 1 person then it may have been a not-interview, but if it was with multiple people then it was totally an interview

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

epic win!!!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So I had a problem where a subprocess would sometimes hang when run overnight as part of a hugely parallel job, but I could never seem to reproduce it when I ran it directly during the day as a serial job. After a solid week of bashing my head against the heisenbug I figured it out! The answer was that it wasn't hanging at all and that the "subprocess timed out" message was firing incorrectly. :ughh:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

actually speaking of callback hell, is there a way of populating dependent dropdowns in .net mvc that isn't to just create an endpoint to serve the list options and then loading it in to the second dropdown by firing an ajax request off the onchange from the first?

i mean, that works fine (and i even did one with promises for some reason i can't recall) but it just seems so messy.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

so a coworker ran into some poo poo yesterday that broke my brain and made me realize I am even more terrible than I thought, C# code

code:
    public void SomeMethod(...) {
        if(object == null) {
            var object = new rear end();
            object.listOfAsses = await AssService();
        }
        var objectCopy = new rear end();
        objectCopy.listOfAsses = new List<AssList>(object.listOfAsses)

if(firstTime)
            objectCopy.SetAllAssesToFullOfFarts();

}
why the gently caress is SetAllAssesToFullOfFarts() operating on object as well? shouldn't declaring objectCopy as new have it's values at a new place in memory? all SetAllAssesToFullOfFarts does is run a foreach on this.listOfAsses to access a subList within it where it sets a field to true. we were banging our heads against this for like 2 hours before we decided to go drink instead.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

so a coworker ran into some poo poo yesterday that broke my brain and made me realize I am even more terrible than I thought, C# code

code:
        if(object == null) {
        }

if(firstTime)

}
why the gently caress is SetAllAssesToFullOfFarts() operating on object as well? shouldn't declaring objectCopy as new have it's values at a new place in memory? all SetAllAssesToFullOfFarts does is run a foreach on this.listOfAsses to access a subList within it where it sets a field to true. we were banging our heads against this for like 2 hours before we decided to go drink instead.

i had this exact problem and thought i was going crazy at first but yeah that will act as a mutator.

because i don't know what im doing i forced a new object by creating a method in the same class that would do something like

code:

Object CreateNewAss(originalAss)
{
Object newAss = new Object(){copy rear end properties here}
Foreach(fart oldFart in originalAss.ListofFarts)
{
newFart = new fart(){name = oldFart.name ......}

NewAss.ListofFarts.add(newFart)
}
}

Return NewAss

i mean that's pretty crude but it worked

edit: yeah i literally didnt know what lambda expressions were when i did that hence why it's so verbose

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 18, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

code:
        if(object == null) {
        }

if(firstTime)

}

If the List<AssList> is a list of objects then it'll be a list of object references. If you instantiate a new list with that list of object references, I believe you'll get a new list of references pointing at the same objects. So you've got two distinct objects, with two distinct lists, but both lists contain pointers to the same objects so when you iterate over them you're looking at the same data.

You can do something like
code:
objectCopy.listOfAsses = new List<AssList>(object.listOfAsses.Select(x => x.Clone()));
Which should mean you get a copy of each AssList object. Perhaps. Your asses are confusing me somewhat.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 18, 2016

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Bad C#?

code:

public string getAssId(assName){
    try{    
            var assReturn = ([horrible linq to SQL]).where(x=> x.name == assName).firstOrDefault().ToString();
            return assReturn;
        }catch(Exception ex){
            console.WriteLine(ex);
            return ex.message;
    }
}

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

MrMoo posted:

Yo send this my way

edit:

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

code:
Object CreateNewAss(originalAss)
{
Object newAss = new Object(){copy rear end properties here}
Foreach(fart oldFart in originalAss.ListofFarts)
{
newFart = new fart(){name = oldFart.name ......}

NewAss.ListofFarts.add(newFart)
}
}

Return NewAss

I think I suggested something like this towards the end before we decided to gently caress off.

but this seems better.

Chalks posted:

If the List<AssList> is a list of objects then it'll be a list of object references. If you instantiate a new list with that list of object references, I believe you'll get a new list of references pointing at the same objects. So you've got two distinct objects, with two distinct lists, but both lists contain pointers to the same objects so when you iterate over them you're looking at the same data.

You can do something like
code:
objectCopy.listOfAsses = new List<AssList>(object.listOfAsses.Select(x => x.Clone()));
Which should mean you get a copy of each AssList object. Perhaps. Your asses are confusing me somewhat.

will report back if we remain terrible

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 18, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

will report back if we remain terrible

If the object you're calling clone() on doesn't actually implement that function, you may be able to very quickly implement it yourself using MemberwiseClone or you might have to do something more fancy in the clone method. I've not used that function myself, but it looks cool.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

raminasi posted:

"greater new york area" always means new jersey. how did you not know the company location before you interviewed?

doesnt it sometimes mean connecticut?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

floatman posted:

Bad C#?

code:

public string getAssId(assName){
    try{    
            var assReturn = ([horrible linq to SQL]).where(x=> x.name == assName).firstOrDefault().ToString();
            return assReturn;
        }catch(Exception ex){
            console.WriteLine(ex);
            return ex.message;
    }
}

im AssId "sqlexception"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

wait, List doesn't have it's own Clone method????

• Locked thread