Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

However, I would say in general you want to scale spell damage, elemental damage and area damage for a vortex build. Area of effect radius will also help your clear speed greatly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
This isn't a straightforward question at all, it hugely depends on how your character works, what has dropped for you, what currency you have, what league you're in, what you want to achieve, etc.

The short answer is play a lot, both at end-game and on multiple varied builds, and you'll start to get a feel for it.

I've been playing on and off since release and feel like I only really got a good handle on noticing weaknesses and solving them in this latest temp league. For some actual useful advice, I wouldn't worry too much about trading for gear until late merciless. This statement certainly isn't true for every character though, and if you have plenty of currency you can make levelling much quicker and easier. Exceptional build guides will give you suggestions of stuff to keep an eye out for while levelling.

Another thing I only worked out recently is that while unique items can enable builds or be very fun, they have an enormous opportunity cost in that you're no longer wearing a rare in that slot with +life/es and resists.

E: shoulda known therat would get in there while I was phoneposting

..btt fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 16, 2016

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

Hi, new player here. Is there a guide I'm overlooking from the OP that goes over the basics of gearing? Like how to know what gear you need, what drops you should ignore automatically, etc etc. I'm about 11 hours played on my Ice Nova Templar (now a Vortex Templar because I never realized how big a dps gain that skill is) and I'm just hitting Act 4. I know that some of my slowness is going to be because I'm new, don't know layouts or what paths im supposed to be taking specifically but I can't help but feel that it's really slow due in part to me messing with my gear.

Generally you'd want to try to keep your resistances positive. Negative resistances really end up killing you in tougher difficulties. Focus a decent amount in your defensive stats picking up both passives and armor that contain whatever you are focusing on: armor/evasion/HP/ES. Templar's area is mostly HP/Armor/ES so those are some things to look out for. Offensively things get a bit more complicated due to the sheer number of possible combinations to play with. Again Templar has access to a lot of elemental dmg, aoe, and totem nodes. So looking at some possible builds for what youre going for can give you some ideas to run with. Personally, I'm finding that I should've focused a bit more on survivability- i'm in merciless and finding myself repeccing here and there into HP/Resist/Evasion.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Anyone had problems getting PoE to run on newer nvidia drivers? Tried everything to force it to use nvidia and not my integrated card and no dice.

Maybe just an incompatibility on PoE's part?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
2.4.2 drops in about 24 hours, details on 2.5 and the next challenge league the day after.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Art criticism on the new channeling skills: Instead of the weird foot sliding animation when you spin, it would be cool if they could make your character raise into the air and levitate at the beginning of the cast.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I've truly fallen into mtx despair in that I'm probably gonna buy that $60 pack for that god drat cape (looks so sick)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Luna Was Here posted:

Hi, new player here. Is there a guide I'm overlooking from the OP that goes over the basics of gearing? Like how to know what gear you need, what drops you should ignore automatically, etc etc. I'm about 11 hours played on my Ice Nova Templar (now a Vortex Templar because I never realized how big a dps gain that skill is) and I'm just hitting Act 4. I know that some of my slowness is going to be because I'm new, don't know layouts or what paths im supposed to be taking specifically but I can't help but feel that it's really slow due in part to me messing with my gear.

As a followup, I just stumbled across a build guide for inquisitor (templar) ice nova, https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1668096 . LiftingNerdBro usually makes pretty decent beginner-guides.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

fennesz posted:

Anyone had problems getting PoE to run on newer nvidia drivers? Tried everything to force it to use nvidia and not my integrated card and no dice.

Maybe just an incompatibility on PoE's part?

How new? I haven't had issues lately.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1768466

quote:

Update: We've substantially narrowed down where the problem is and expect to have a solution within a couple of hours. Very sorry about the delay.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Holy poo poo those skills are looking like they're going to be absurdly strong under most circumstances

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

zxqv8 posted:

Holy poo poo those skills are looking like they're going to be absurdly strong under most circumstances

Yuuup.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I can't decide if I want to do RF with Scorching Ray or get a big ole 2h staff.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah Ok, scorching ray looks like it could put out some disgustingly strong singletarget dps and synergize extremely well with non-crit ignite builds. I could probably whack it on my det dead elementalist in a 4L and improve my boss kill speed.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

soscannonballs posted:

I can't decide if I want to do RF with Scorching Ray or get a big ole 2h staff.

I'm looking at an RF Chieftain that should have enough regen without needing a Phoenix so I can use a Searing Touch :unsmigghh:

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

zxqv8 posted:

Aren't these skills going to be fairly impaired at the high end since the late game bosses require a significant amount of mobility?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
10 minutes to go.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Probably going to do an IW/RF/Ray maurader at the start of the new league. Probably chieftan but maybe berserker.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Aren't these skills going to be fairly impaired at the high end since the late game bosses require a significant amount of mobility?

It depends on the build really. I'm convinced inquisitor will work really well for at least scorching ray and blight, as inq benefits from being rooted on consecrated ground, plus whenever a big hit pops up, you can shield charge away, gain 25% more cast speed from ascendancy for a few seconds, and refresh the skill on the boss.

We'll see how it all holds up, I guess.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

zxqv8 posted:

It depends on the build really. I'm convinced inquisitor will work really well for at least scorching ray and blight, as inq benefits from being rooted on consecrated ground, plus whenever a big hit pops up, you can shield charge away, gain 25% more cast speed from ascendancy for a few seconds, and refresh the skill on the boss.

We'll see how it all holds up, I guess.

Yeah, I've been planning on trying a very high es regen Inquisitor going ci. Just consecrated ground alone is 8% es regen with the ascendancy.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

dyzzy posted:

How new? I haven't had issues lately.

Patch date is 11/10. It's weird because I can usually force games to recognize my GPU by manually launching the .exe or going into nvidia's 3d settings. All of that poo poo doesn't work. I'll just wait for the next few GGG patches to drop. That might fix it.

e: Yeah it might be a display error? I've ran PoE without my GPU before and it was dogshit (obviously). Seems to be running way better than that so maybe it's just my GPU but PoE is lying to me?

fennesz fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 18, 2016

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
I'm thinkin' blight with a singularity.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Essence league is still on right? I got stalled out since my EA character was having trouble with reds and I decided to do a LL Pathfinder with no gear and little currency outside of a Shav's I found. Have prices on gear fallen as the league went on?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The good flasks are still pretty expensive but pathfinder can do a lot without them anyways, especially if you can run low life.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Looks like blade flurry is actually super powerful and clears well. Nice.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah what I saw on Mathil's stream looked really good. I'll probably make that as my 'I have currency now' build next league.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I watched mathils stream. It's beyond broken and will be nerfed by the end of the weekend I predict.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

I just finished gearing a RF chief but fitting in laser beams sounds fun. Guess I got to drop the Kaoms

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
As expected, spell damage scales the Searing Ray damage where it doesn't on Searing Bond, probably replacing it on totems and making Searing Bond redundant

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
What supports do you think would be ideal for Ray? Controlled Destruction/Elemtal Focus/Less Duration/Faster Casting/???

J
Jun 10, 2001

Rapid Decay maybe? And I'm not sure less duration will be necessarily good since that will give you less time to maintain your beam stacks on a boss where you have to move around. I guess you could still use less duration for trash clearing and swap in empower for bosses if that is a problem.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I watched mathils stream. It's beyond broken and will be nerfed by the end of the weekend I predict.

What is "It" here?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Skyl3lazer posted:

What is "It" here?

Blade flurry

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Stuck a Blade Flurry on my scourge necro. It's level 12 and it already feels more effective than my lvl 20 q 20 Bladefall or Spectral Throw gems.

Also Flesh Offering on a necro and Blade Flurry go together like chocolate and peanut butter. I hope they don't nerf it till the league is over so I can coast to completion on my challenges.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Soothing Vapors posted:

Stuck a Blade Flurry on my scourge necro. It's level 12 and it already feels more effective than my lvl 20 q 20 Bladefall or Spectral Throw gems.

Also Flesh Offering on a necro and Blade Flurry go together like chocolate and peanut butter. I hope they don't nerf it till the league is over so I can coast to completion on my challenges.

finally a viable melee witch *wipes tears away*

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Blade Flurry Claw Occultist

Dagger would definitely be more damage, but using Claws means my weapon will be cheaper and it'll be easier to get enough leech to sustain.

Free power charges, tons of EHP thanks to Occultist & CI, instant leech, nutso damage from Blade Flurry assuming it doesn't get nerfed into the ground.
Bandits would be passive, passive, Power Charge.

This Dagger Version could work with some adequate leech from gear. May consider picking up the first point of the Essence Sap cluster, and using Energy From Within + Blood Drinker for some life leech.

I definitely want to start as claw, though. Blade Flurry is gonna be meta as gently caress next league unless it gets nuked ahead of time, so anything to make gearing easier will help.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
I put Blade Flurry on my spectral throw raider to try out, and it was nuts for only being 3l. I think I'll add it as a single target skill since spectral throw eats a ton of my mana.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So what's the next league? Isn't something new starting in a couple weeks?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Info about it releases in like 3 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.twitch.tv/mathil1/v/101661560 Time stamp is 5h 25m. Just watch him destroy Aztiri with a level 12 Flurry.

• Locked thread