Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

It's amusing that you think buying rifles works like it does in a video game or something. Huge numbers of M16 pattern rifles are made in China, there are Filipino companies that make knock off versions of Chinese M16s. Rifles aren't jet engines, the technology content of a M16 rifle is about the same as that of a $5 non-stick frying pan.
There's also the option of going Israeli, that way you use the same ammo and get to enjoy dealing with some other moral degenerates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Duterte to suspend writ of habeas corpus if 'forced'

quote:

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte warned that he can suspend the writ of habeas corpus, a safeguard against warrantless arrests, if lawlessness – particularly the illegal drugs trade – persists in the country.

"If you force my hand into it, I will declare the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus, not martial law," Duterte said on Friday, November 11, at the launch of the Pilipinong May Puno Foundation in Davao City.

Duterte, who made the warning as he spoke about the gravity of the drug situation in the country, said he "might be forced" to do this if lawlessness continues. "[That's just a warning I am giving out to them. I don't want to do it because it's not nice]," Duterte said.

"Habeas corpus" is a Latin phrase that means "that you have the body."

Through the writ of habeas corpus, a court can order the state to produce the physical body a person detained. "In general, the purpose of the writ of habeas corpus is to determine whether or not a particular person is legally held," the Supreme Court said in a ruling.

The suspension of the writ of habeas corpus, then, allows the state to arrest and jail anyone without trial.

The late dictator Ferdinand Marcos, for example, suspended the writ of habeas corpus when he placed the Philippines under martial law, a time of human rights abuses and forced disappearances.

The 1987 Constitution, however, allows the President to suspend the writ of habeas corpus "in case of invasion and rebellion, when the public safety requires it."

Duterte said of the law, "Those are really provisions intended to protect the Republic of the Philippines."

He added: "I can be ordered by the Supreme Court to stop it but there are things that they cannot, and maybe I will not, stop. [Come what may, I'll tell them I have to finish this first] then I can go to jail. File all the charges that you can think of. But this country, in my time, will not deteriorate any further."

Duterte, who won the presidency because of his anti-crime platform, cited the difficulty of building a case and the huge manpower required to gather enough evidence against crime suspects.

Senator Richard Gordon earlier pushed for a law to suspend the writ of habeas corpus to help Duterte fight illegal drugs and terrorism. Duterte is waging a war on drugs that has killed at least 4,812 people since July 1, with 3,001 of them having been slain in extrajudicial or vigilante-style killings.

Before Gordon pushed for this law, Duterte already declared a state of national emergency because of lawless violence after a bombing in Davao City, which he led as mayor for two decades.

Worth noting that the nationwide "State of Lawlessness" that was declared after the Davao bombings on Sep 2 still has not been lifted.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Malacanang said early Nov 12 that the burial of Ferdinand Marcos at the National Heroes Cemetery may still push through within the year.

The Director of the National Capitol Region police has said that they would be instituting a strict "no-permit-no-rally" policy for the burial

Ilocos Governor Imee Marcos, Ferdinand Marcos Sr's daughter, said that the country should not expect a legal admission of guilt from the family.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana released a statement saying that Marcos would be buried as, and because, he was a soldier, and that this would not necessarily mean he is a national hero. This reasoning is still specious, as even by US Army standards, Marcos's war record in WW2 was largely made up.

The Senate attempted to pass a resolution expressing its sense that Marcos "unfit" to be buried at the National Heroes Cemetery, but it was defeated in a vote of 8-6-6 (11 required to pass).

Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar used his opinion column on Inquirer to weigh on the protests surrounding the Marcos burial, which contained this passage:

quote:

Both the Americans protesting the outcome of a fair election and the Filipinos objecting to the well-considered ruling of our own Supreme Court are undermining institutions. They are temperamental brats refusing to concede to the outcome of regular processes.

Senate President Koko Pimentel, who as the formerly-highest-ranking member of Duterte's PDP-Laban party and is subsequently threading a Paul Ryan-esque needle, then spoke out against Andanar's characterization of protesters as brats.

Andanar apologized for his remarks earlier today.

===

Damage control on Duterte's remarks about the possible suspension of Habeas Corpus: Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said it was "just an idea". He also said that this should be taken as an indication that the government has failed to contain the drug problem. He further said that such a suspension would be because of the drug war, despite Duterte's own words that it was because of lawlessness and rebellion in Mindanao.

More damage control: Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre says that Duterte's statement was just trying to scare lawless groups in Mindanao, and that the President wasn't actually going to do it.

PNP Police Chief Bato de la Rosa weighs in: suspending the Writ of Habeas Corpus would be a big help, it would make the jobs easier, and would serve as a deterrent for drug traffickers.

Senator Panfilo Lacson commented on the possible suspension, saying that such an act would belie the administration's claim that it is "winning" the War on Drugs.

Four Senators from the Liberal Party have decried Duterte's statements.

Members of Congress have also weighed in on the danger of Duterte's statement.

Here's a University Law Dean discussing the Constitutionality of such an act.

But for his part, Speaker of the House and staunch administration ally Pantaleon Alvarez says such a suspension would be "up to the President to decide"

===

The Office of the Ombudsman has recommended dismissal for Senator Joel "Tesdaman" Villanueva, who campaigned with and ran under the Liberal Party during the 2016 elections, for malfeasance regarding his use of 10 million PHP in pork barrel funds during his term as a Congressman.

===

Economic news: Peso touches P49 per dollar, weakest in nearly 8 years

===

And in the latest Duterte diatribe:

Duterte: Forget human rights if Islamic State comes to Philippines

quote:

MANILA - Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte warned on Monday that Islamic State militants driven out of Syria and Iraq could set up in his country, and if that happened he would forego human rights obligations to keep his people safe.

Duterte said the southern Philippine province of Mindanao was already a hotbed of rebellion and banditry and he was worried about "looming terrorism" and an influx of extremists who could exploit the insecurity.

"Once the terrorists of the Middle East are deprived of the land area, the real estate area where they can sleep ... they will wander to other places and they will come here and we have to prepare for that," he said during a speech at a law enforcement agency.

"Remember, these guys, they do not have an iota of what is human rights, believe me. I will not just simply allow my people to be slaughtered for the sake of human rights, that's bullshit."

Duterte: Sometimes, rule of law can be stupid proposition

quote:

For President Rodrigo Duterte, ensuring the safety of Filipinos in a country “rocked with rebellion and extremism” and “flooded with drugs” can be “hell” and nightmarish.

“You know countries like the Philippines, you do what is right, it is wrong. You do what is wrong, it’s still wrong,” Duterte said in his speech during the 80th founding anniversary of the National Bureau of Investigation in Manila.

“And that’s how I balance governance. Whether to do wrong or to do right, to commit a wrong or do a wrong thing, to make it right,” he added.

“The rule of law is good, if the rules are followed. Very easy to say rule of law. And it applies not only to the government and to us—it applies to all citizens,” he said.

Recalling his experience as a prosecutor and mayor of Davao City, Duterte said he had to make a choice whether to “innovate” the rule of law or let his people suffer because “shabu was flowing in and out.”

“I would like to follow the rule of law. It is rules which make up the law. But when shabu was coming in, strong and fast, we had to make a choice. We innovate the law, the rule of law, or we let our people suffer. That’s the choice,” Duterte said.

“The rule of law and the obedience of the law are just principles of the law and they are really good if everybody follows. The problem here is, there is no obedience of the law, and sometimes the rule of law becomes a stupid proposition,” he added.

Warning against “evil persons who’d want to make money at the expense of the blood and over the bones of his countrymen,” Duterte maintained that the death toll in the drug war was not entirely carried out by government security forces.

“We have an accurate count of those who defied the law and got killed in the process. But we do not have the truth and the statistics of how many of the 3,000 were killed, were murdered. But when the Human Rights came, they would always say, ‘You know, Duterte, under your administration, you have killed 3,000.’ And I would try to explain that this was not all ours. Remember, I fired six generals when I assumed the presidency for involvement in the drug industry,” he said.

“The order is simply this: Go out. Arrest them if you can but if there is no peaceful method of doing it and you are presented with a violent resistance, thereby placing in jeopardy your life, you shoot the son of a bitch. Shoot them dead,” Duterte added.

Citing rebellion and acts of terrorism in Mindanao, the President said he would use a “calibrated response” in dealing with these crimes and not just allow Filipinos to be slaughtered in the name of human rights.

“We have a strong rebellion in Mindanao, terrorists in Jolo conduct abductions almost every day,and every time they do it they slap us in the face… We have to prepare for it because once terrorists got booted out of Middle East, they will come here,” Duterte said, adding that he had agreed with Malaysia and Indonesia in fighting terrorism.

“I will not just sit down and allow my people to be slaughtered for the sake of human rights,”

Duterte to police scalawags: Just choose how you want to die

quote:

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday warned law enforcers that he would be unmerciful to them if he finds out that they are into illegal activities.

“But, if you are accused of extortion, kidnapping, some of you who are involved there, do not do it in my time. You do it, [I will kill you. How do you want it done? A Barrett sniper rifle? Or ambush?]” he said during a speech delivered at the 80th founding anniversary of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) in Manila.

Duterte, nonetheless, stressed that he would believe their side of the story as long as they were saying the truth.

“But if you do your duty, do not worry about cases, I will protect you, believe me,” he said as the NBI personnel cheered.

“Just do it right. We have our trainings, that you can only kill, if your life in danger. And you are there performing the duty of a law enforcer. That’s about it,” Duterte added.

"[If you say to me, 'Sir, this is what happened', but if I ask you], just tell me the truth. [Doesn't matter what kind of story it is], tell the truth. [So that I'm not going to stand here like some crazy person] - so that I know how to present the truth to the public. Do not poo poo with me. [Tell me the truth. Especially when it comes to your work,]" the President explained

As he once again explained before a crowd his rationale behind his war on drugs, Duterte also told government workers not to get involved in the narcotics trade.

“Now, [for us in the government], I am asking you earnestly, I’m pleading to you. Do not go into drugs, [especially the agents],” he said.

Duterte: Leaders need to do 'wrong' to protect people

quote:

MANILA, Philippines – For someone who has described himself as a stickler for the law, President Rodrigo Duterte sounded almost disdainful of the concept of “rule of law,” saying that, sometimes, a leader has to do the “wrong thing” for the good of the country.

“For us who has been leaders for a time, we are now made to choose, sometimes, what to do. Either we do something to protect society or do something sometimes wrong to protect society,” he said on Monday, November 14, during the 80th anniversary of the National Bureau of Investigation.

Earlier, he described the Philippines as a country rocked by “rebellion, extremism, and the flooding of drugs," a situation that forces its leaders to make tough choices.

In such a situation, following the law sometimes leads to suffering and not the improvement of lives of the people.

“We in government are admonished to say follow the rule of law and that is what makes it hard, because you follow the rule of law, sometimes it could lead to perdition for people,” said Duterte on

He then said the Filipino people faces a tough decision that may require “innovation” of the law.

“I would like to follow the rule of law. It is rules which make up the law. But when shabu was coming in, strong and fast, we had to make a choice. We innovate the law, the rule of law or we let our people suffer. That’s the choice,” he said.

Just two days earlier, Duterte had warned he might be “forced” to suspend the writ of habeas corpus if the state of lawless violence, especially due to drugs, continues. Doing so would allow the government to arrest or jail individuals even without a warrant.

Based on the Constitution, suspension of the writ may only be done “in cases of invasion and rebellion."

Duterte appeared to reflect out loud on the moral dilemma of following the rule of law without attaining results for the benefit of the people.

“You know, countries like the Philippines, you do what is right, it is wrong. You do what is wrong, it’s still wrong,” Duterte said.

“And that is how I balance the governance. Whether to do wrong or to do right, to commit a wrong or do a wrong thing, to make it right,” he added.

Duterte, who has long insisted that “rule of law” is his basis for making decisions, including allowing the hero’s burial of former President Ferdinand Marcos, said the rule of law only works when it is followed.

“The rule of law and the obedience of the law are just principles of the law and they are really good if everybody follows. The problem is, there is no obedience of the law and sometimes the rule of law becomes a stupid proposition,” he said.

During his speech, he again mentioned the Philippines’ drug problem, citing the outdated figure of 3 million drug addicts estimated by former Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency director Dionisio Santiago.

He also spoke of the “strong rebellion in Mindanao and the kidnappings by terrorists in Sulu which have been “putting a shame to our country.”

Acts of terrorism and violence in Mindanao and the spread of drugs were his reasons for declaring a state of national emergency due to lawless violence last September.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Duterte has again said something about leaving the UN, and instead joining a "new order" with China and Russia.

quote:

President Rodrigo Duterte would not hesitate in joining a "new order" organized by China and Russia.

In a pre-departure briefing in Davao City on Thursday, Duterte said that he would leave the United Nations (UN) if China and Russia form a new group of nations.

"If China and Russia would decide to create a new order, I will be the first to join. I will be the first to join. [I will leave that] ... there used to be a League of Nations before. It was in Hague something. [This predecessor of the] United Nations, it used to be called League of Nations. Nothing happened. There is still war. United Nations, [did not accomplish anything]. Series of war ... Vietnam, Taliban, [now also over here]," he said.

This was not the first time Duterte threatened to leave the UN.

And, hot on the heels of Vladimir Putin, he has also threatened to pull out of the International Criminal Court.

quote:

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte may just order the Philippines' withdrawal from the International Criminal Court (ICC), following the actions of his "idol" Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"[That International Criminal (Court) is nothing. It is dumb. They (Russia) withdrew its membersjip. I might follow]," Duterte said on Thursday, November 17, before heading to Lima, Peru, to join 20 other leaders at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Leaders' Summit.

On Wednesday, Putin signed an order formally withdrawing Russia's signature from the founding statute of the ICC, claiming the court was "one-sided and inefficient" and that it has failed to live up to hopes of the international community.

The move comes after the ICC published a report classifying the Russian annexation of Crimea as an occupation.

Duterte also expressed dissatisfaction with the tribunal, claiming it has not helped small countries like the Philippines wracked with violence and injustices.

"Why? [We are the only ones, us small fry, that get beaten up by these arrogant fools. All the killing,] it's by the thousands, bombing children, women," he said.

Duterte cited the example of Aleppo in Syria and Mosul in Iraq where human rights abuses continue to happen despite the ICC's existence.

The ICC has previously called out the Duterte administration for possible human rights violations in its anti-illegal drugs campaign. An ICC judge said she was closely monitoring the "drug war."

The ICC investigates genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity.

Other countries that had served notice of a pullout from the ICC are Gambia, South Africa, and Burundi. Gambian Information Minister Sheriff Bojang earlier charged that the ICC had been used "for the persecution of Africans and especially their leaders" while ignoring crimes committed by the West.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
At 10:45 AM local time, the Philippine National Police confirmed that Ferdinand Marcos Sr would be buried at the National Heroes' Cemetery at 12:00 NN local time.

https://twitter.com/ANCALERTS/status/799443434821992448

The burial rites are on-going as I write this. They gave him a 21-gun salute.

https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/799464094281580544

Media and all other visitors were blocked off from entering the area, with barbed wire put up on all other entrances.

https://twitter.com/gmanews/status/799462433609785344

On a personal note, gently caress this administration for pulling a fast one. They knew announcing it ahead of time would draw all sorts of rallies, so they just did it on the spur of the moment.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Is that place normally accessible to the public? Like I am sure that it's going to be a very popular place for vandalism.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ihatepants posted:

Is that place normally accessible to the public? Like I am sure that it's going to be a very popular place for vandalism.
Lines and lines of people willing to piss on Marcos' grave. :allears:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Duterte is actually out-of-country at the moment, attending the APEC summit in Cebu

Side note 1: He took a more circuitous route heading there, just to avoid landing in/flying over the US.

Side note 2: He gave another rambling diatribe just before he left

PNP Chief Bato dela Rosa said that Duterte "is aware" of the burial, but it's not clear whether he meant "knew that the burial is (present tense) ongoing", or "knew that the burial was already scheduled for today" (or that he know of it before he left the country)

This is in conflict with a response from the Presidential Communications Office that they were not aware of the date of the burial.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well gents/ladies, if the outrage reaches a fever pitch and Duterte cracks down on this likely November 30 mass protest with Martial Law 2.0, it's been nice knowing you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There were already mass protests scheduled for today and tomorrow even before the burial was confirmed, but this blitzkrieg burial has forced people their schedules up: http://www.rappler.com/nation/152828-schedule-protest-rallies-marcos-burial

I just wish I didn't have to adult so I could join.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/799390317266944000

AHAHAHAHAHA

Now we get to say "My God, he really is the American Duterte"

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
On the subject of Marcos, my dad said earlier that the gargantuan World Bank debt during Marcos's tenure was due to the various infrastructure projects he had. Does that make sense?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Disharmony posted:

On the subject of Marcos, my dad said earlier that the gargantuan World Bank debt during Marcos's tenure was due to the various infrastructure projects he had. Does that make sense?

Yes. If you're willing to take me at face-value rather than a well-sourced explanation, the short answer is that Marcos regularly borrowed huge sums from the WB to fund an infrastructure project, only the cost would be padded as gently caress, and he'd pocket the difference.

And then he'd pass on the debt to the taxpayers (some of which is still being paid of even today!)

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes. If you're willing to take me at face-value rather than a well-sourced explanation, the short answer is that Marcos regularly borrowed huge sums from the WB to fund an infrastructure project, only the cost would be padded as gently caress, and he'd pocket the difference.

And then he'd pass on the debt to the taxpayers (some of which is still being paid of even today!)

That's what I thought too, which is why I was hoping there's a source (i.e. webpage, post) that I could readily reference whenever I hear that crap.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.modernghana.com/news/219270/1/imf-and-world-bank-agents-of-povert.html

quote:

In Philippines during the regime of the dictator Ferdinand Marcos, the Bank and IMF were absolutely aware of the fact that most loans to Philippines were transferred into the bank accounts of Ferdinand Marcos and his generals; nevertheless they considered it as a necessary bribe for paying the political staff in power in order to ensure the acceleration of the neoliberal counter reform. As a result World Bank lent Marcos $400m in 1980; $251m in 1982 and $600m in 1983 and Marcos deposited the money in his accounts in Switzerland. So far the Philipinos are still paying for the policies of the Bank and IMF.

Dr. Susan Hawley author of Exporting Corruption has written extensively about how loans taken and diverted into private banks by Ferdinand Marcos have gruesomely affected Philippines´ development and her quest to reduce poverty. She says: "The US company, Westinghouse won a contract in the early 1970s to build the Bataan nuclear plant in the Philippines. It was alleged that Westinghouse gave President Ferdinand Marcos US$80 million in kickbacks. The plant cost $2.3 billion three times the price of a comparable plant built by the same company in Korea. Filipino taxpayers have spent $1.2 billion servicing the plant's debts even though the plant has never produced a single watt of electricity because it was built at the foot of a volcano near several earthquake faultlines. The Philippine government is still paying $170,000 a day in interest on the loans taken out to finance the nuclear plant and will continue to do so up to the year 2018. A Philippino Treasurer Leonor Briones recently commented on the loans: "It is a terrible burden which never fails to elicit feelings of rage, anger and frustration in me. We're talking of money that should have gone to basic services like schools and hospitals". Source: Dr. Susan Hawley.

Patricia Adams, executive director of Probe International, in her book Odious Debts estimates the Philippino dictator, Ferdinand Marcos, and his wife Imelda, pocketed literally one-third of the Philippines' entire borrowing – much of it in the form of kickbacks and commissions on aid and loan-funded projects. His personal wealth when he was overthrown was $10 billion. Source: Jubileeresearch.org.

This entire long article by The Guardian is a good read:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/07/10bn-dollar-question-marcos-millions-nick-davies

quote:

The PCGG archive shows how, in the same way, Marcos used his own companies to take over the three other key areas of agriculture: coconuts, tobacco and bananas. Granting himself government contracts, monopoly deals and tax exemptions, he levered his way into dominating industries across the whole economy – logging and paper, meat, oil, insurance, shipping and airlines, beer and cigarettes, textiles, hotels and casinos, newspapers, radio and TV. His was an early and particularly rapacious version of privatisation.

Crucially, he saw his crime through a lawyer’s eyes. Of course people would observe that the Marcoses were suddenly very wealthy – they could live with that. What mattered was to ensure that there was no evidence. Repeatedly, he set up his companies so that outwardly they belonged to other people. Marcos deployed dozens of cronies: relatives, golf partners, political allies, anybody who shared his greed. The crony would sign a deed transferring ownership of most of the business – usually 60% – but would leave a blank space for the name. Marcos would hold the deed and leave the space blank. There was no “evidence” that he owned the 60%.

Marcos stole, then stole more. The Japanese paid reparations for the second world war; he skimmed it and put the profit into his Swiss accounts. He stole international aid money, gold from the Central Bank, loans from international banks and military aid from the US. He decreed that more than a million impoverished coconut farmers must pay a levy, supposedly to improve the industry, amounting to $216m. He had already issued decrees to gift most of the coconut trade to one of his own companies; now he stole great chunks of the levy fund, all the while taking kickbacks on government contracts.

All this theft created a logistical problem: how to handle the tidal flow of money. The PCGG archive shows how Marcos set up his own banking system, using cronies to buy private banks and others to control the state banks. These were useful for stealing more money, in loans that would never be repaid, and for accessing foreign currency – although eventually he set up his own specialist bank to trade currency on the black market.

Above all, the banks acted like a network of dykes receiving his ocean of income. Bank staff would make regular – sometimes weekly – trips to the palace, to pick up cheques and bundles of cash, which were then deposited in dozens of accounts. The millions were then channelled into Marcos’s expanding reservoir of offshore accounts (he had 69 in Switzerland alone). Then all he and Imelda had to do was turn on the taps anywhere in the world and cash would come pouring out; cash that had been washed clean of its connection to crime.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm just happy the students led the charge for today's rallies. At least Marcos’s whitewashing of history hasn't quite succeeded yet.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Thanks bud!

Why can't we have points here? lol

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Wow, what a crazy day, eh? I feel like I should apologize for not going to the rally, but in any case, thank you to those who did. I don't know what end result we're hoping to accomplish here but I'm glad that there's SOMETHING the sane people aren't allowing the administation to get away with. And still I have friends defending Duterte.

Also it looks like the riot police have arrived, but it looks like they're not doing anything other than securing the perimeter. I hope I don't wake up tomorrow to find out otherwise.

Since my thread titles are apparently prophetic now maybe I should have the current one changed to a title about how everything turned out okay.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This was from around 7:30 this evening:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

What does he even mean by this.

quote:

LIMA, Peru — Goodbye, Asia. Hello, Europe?

President Rodrigo Duterte, in a bizarre turn of phrase, told Russian President Vladimir Putin on Saturday that the Philippines had been “longing to be part of Europe.”

In the first bilateral meeting between the two leaders, Mr. Duterte, who had long expressed disdain for the European Union, inexplicably remarked that he wished for his country to be part of Europe.

“I have been looking for this moment to meet you, Mr. President, not only because you represent a great country but [because of your leadership] too,” he began.

“And we’ve been longing to be part also of — despite the distance — we have been longing to be part of Europe, especially in commerce and trade around the world,” Mr. Duterte told the Russian leader.

The Philippine president proceeded to talk, in his typical rambling style, about the “hypocrisy” of the West in intervening in the affairs of other countries while advancing their own interests.

“They want to seem to start a war but are afraid to go to war. That is what’s wrong with America and the others. They are waging war in so many places: in Vietnam, Afghanistan and in Iraq,” he said.

“And for one single reason that there was a weapon of mass destruction [in Iraq] and there was none. They insist, if you are allied with them that they follow you. They go to the Korean war, nothing happened. They did not defeat them,” Mr. Duterte said.

The talk between the two leaders was held at about 12 noon Saturday (1 a.m. Manila time) in a hotel room under tight security on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) Economic Leaders Meeting here. The media were allowed to cover only the first 10 minutes before being shepherded out.

It was the first meeting between the Russian and Filipino leaders, though Mr. Duterte had been making plenty of friendly overtures toward the latter.

Last week, the Philippine president spoke about his readiness to join a “new world order” under the leadership of China and Russia.

Putin, for his part, expressed his hope for the diplomatic ties between Russia and the Philippines to flourish.

He congratulated Mr. Duterte on winning the election on May 9, which he described as an auspicious date, as it fell on “a very pride day, a public holiday that marks the victory in the great patriotic war over the Nazi group.”

The Russian president credited Mr. Duterte for laying the groundwork for stronger ties with Russia.

“Well, you have been able to do a lot in a short period of time in terms of developing all round partnership between our countries and with respect to promoting greater trust and confidence between us,” he said.

I wonder if he's just naming past failed wars from America or if he thinks Vietnam is actually still going on.

Also, hahaha him saying he'd like us to be part of Europe. Does he just want us having stronger ties with Europe, or does he mean he wants us to literally be part of Europe? Because he's sure gonna be in for a shock when someone tells him about the European Convention on Human Rights.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Argue posted:

Because he's sure gonna be in for a shock when someone tells him about the European Convention on Human Rights.

Just in: Duterte, after joining the European Union, manages to beat Theresa May in withdrawing from the European Convention on Human Rights.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Just in: Duterte, after joining the European Union, manages to beat Theresa May in withdrawing from the European Convention on Human Rights.

Don't you know human rights are just silly concepts ivory-tower liberals made up in order to Help The Terrorists Win? :downs:

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

It sounds like he was just naming past American wars, Korea is in there too which apparently was a failed imperialist event because north Korea still exists?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hmmm, things seem to be looking more and more serious in over there by the day, I wonder what my wall has to say about Duterte

Ah yes, excellent work world

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hmmm, things seem to be looking more and more serious in over there by the day, I wonder what my wall has to say about Duterte

Ah yes, excellent work world

The real crime here is how bad these rhymes are

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dex_sda posted:

The real crime here is how bad these rhymes are

"Get Drugged, Get hosed" brings pain to my mind.

I'm noticing a conspicuous lack of rhymes about opiates in that image, unless "pills" count as such.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Ytlaya posted:

"Get Drugged, Get hosed" brings pain to my mind.

I'm noticing a conspicuous lack of rhymes about opiates in that image, unless "pills" count as such.

drug crises are pretty much a media fabrication about a problem that's hilariously easy to solve if you care about results more than elections. As such they reflect local panics about whatever has gained media traction. Meth is the big bad in SE Asia. In the UK it's Ecstacy, then legal highs

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Spangly A posted:

drug crises are pretty much a media fabrication about a problem that's hilariously easy to solve if you care about results more than elections. As such they reflect local panics about whatever has gained media traction. Meth is the big bad in SE Asia. In the UK it's Ecstacy, then legal highs

How exactly do you solve drug crises? Treat it as a public health issue? I'd agree that it lessens and mitigates the damage and is generally a better approach, but solve is a pretty strong word in this context. If you have a specific approach, or better yet a case study I'd love to read it. I'm being completely serious, I can't name a country that has solved the drug problem.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Shooting Blanks posted:

How exactly do you solve drug crises? Treat it as a public health issue? I'd agree that it lessens and mitigates the damage and is generally a better approach, but solve is a pretty strong word in this context. If you have a specific approach, or better yet a case study I'd love to read it. I'm being completely serious, I can't name a country that has solved the drug problem.

Portugal is generally the model here. The article notes that other reforms Portugal has made, like a GMI, have likely had a significant effect on the country's drug problems. But at the same time, the effect of decriminalizing drugs and treating it as a health problem and not a criminal one has been potent.

EDIT: Another source.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I think Portugal is widely regarded as a success, but nobody wants to copy their policy of decriminalizing all drugs and treating the matter as a health issue. It's easier to go to rehab if admitting addiction doesn't risk prison time and I want to say their health insurance covers rehab a lot easier too.

E: f,b

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I think Portugal is widely regarded as a success, but nobody wants to copy their policy of decriminalizing all drugs and treating the matter as a health issue. It's easier to go to rehab if admitting addiction doesn't risk prison time and I want to say their health insurance covers rehab a lot easier too.

Yeah it's sad how little health policy makes sense. Still its important to be able to say this is what we SHOULD be doing, even if its not possible in the present context, if only so you can start taking baby steps in the right direction.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

no no no son

they have universal healthcare, the same as pretty much all of Europe: this is one of the main reasons that their system worked; in that it tied it into an already working, large scale system and one of the reasons why anyone who doesn't have this system, whether the yanks or whatever godforsaken nations have an even worse system can't follow it properly even if they wanted to

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Argue posted:

I wonder if he's just naming past failed wars from America or if he thinks Vietnam is actually still going on.

Also, hahaha him saying he'd like us to be part of Europe. Does he just want us having stronger ties with Europe, or does he mean he wants us to literally be part of Europe? Because he's sure gonna be in for a shock when someone tells him about the European Convention on Human Rights.

And he'll still have a better chance of joining the EU than Turkey. :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Argue posted:

He wants to be part of the Eurasian Union I bet, some kind of dystopian Putinist wet dream.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, Philippine social media is insanely fired up right now. Admin supporters seem to be getting more desperate with their bullshit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

toasterwarrior posted:

Man, Philippine social media is insanely fired up right now. Admin supporters seem to be getting more desperate with their bullshit.

To be clear, the latest insane rumor being circulated by the Duterte Fake News Vanguard is that our 51-year-old widow of a Vice President is supposedly pregnant.

The other thing I've seen from my Twitter circles today is the swirling hullabaloo over how people shouldn't attend THIS rally or THAT rally, because THIS rally is lead by a pro-Duterte group, or a group with ties to the CPP/NPA, etc.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Totally. Let's check in with our new representative to the UN and see what he has to say about this.

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/799550788318150656
https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/799639019214643200
https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/799642232059899904
https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/799642519571046400
https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/799751718963527681
https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/799769374617804800
https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/800503949220409344

Well okay.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You missed a couple!

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/798452986661859329

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/796525742410596352

https://twitter.com/teddyboylocsin/status/798903233603215361

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"Teddy Boy" sounds like an alias you'd see in a high-profile organized crime indictment. Where'd Locsin pick it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

"Teddy Boy" sounds like an alias you'd see in a high-profile organized crime indictment. Where'd Locsin pick it up?

His real name is Teodoro. That gets shortened to Ted, or Teddy.

And then he's a Junior, as his father was also Teodoro, so you add the "-boy" because he's the younger one.

Teddyboy.