Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

HALF A GODDAMN HOUR TO RESET YOUR BIOS?!
That is what the leak says. We'll have to see what actually ships.

Probably some sort of on package capacitor has to be discharged to clear the BIOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Yeah I don't think the half hour is going to be a thing on consumer and server products, it's an artifact of having to deal with so much poo poo for ES silicon that it's at the bottom of the list of things to fix, probably far behind "get good clockspeeds", "get good silicon", "get the errata fixed", "reduce power consumption".

Also how would having the BIOS on package not leave it open to being bricked? Even in a dual bios situation for idiot consumers, someone with malicious intent could gently caress the BIOS and then what? AMD sends you replacement chips, refurrbs the bricked chips, and pushes out a BIOS update to repair vulnerabilities?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If there is a way to clear the BIOS settings then I don't see how its going to be bricked.

Most corrupted BIOS issues happen during updating from what I know, not from bad settings, even when overclocking.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
How often do you reset your bios that it even matters?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ideally, resetting your BIOS is something that shouldn't be a thing you should have to do in the course of building or tweaking a computer. It should just boot without fail, with any settings that could break things being enabled after post. I think we're all just used to lovely BIOSes from motherboard manufacturers who don't really know what they're doing, maybe taking this stuff out of their hands is the solution to that mess.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And putting into AMD's hands is better?! Look, I want them to succeed like anyone else here in this thread, and I absolutely think that they can make 2017 the year that AMD unfucked itself on both the CPU and GPU sides, but...

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 11, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Better than some underpaid engineer in Taiwan.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I wonder if it'll be a unified overclocking service for CPUs and GPUs through Wattman. That would be pretty interesting.

As far as advantages go, I think the leak mentioned (or maybe one of the follow up comments here) that it would be much much cheaper for motherboard manufacturers to make the boards, a pretty big bonus for an aggressive strategy to regain market share,and likely simplifying things even more for mobile products.

As long as BIOS execution is "good" or better, that bodes pretty well. It's very exciting at least that there's something to differentiate from Intel feature wise, so hopefully it works out.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Isn't BIOS reset time one of the things that might get improved before retail sampling anyways

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, I wouldn't get too worked up about the BIOS procedures until this thing hits the market, it's almost certain to change.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's been 10 or 11 years since I actually had a reason to update the BIOS on a computer

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I did it a month ago on my laptop so there's that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FuturePastNow posted:

It's been 10 or 11 years since I actually had a reason to update the BIOS on a computer

i had to do it to fix a persistent crash related to my video driver, but that was it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Oh, I'm sure there are reasons why people have to update a BIOS or uEFI. But it's just not a common or frequent thing even for computer enthusiasts.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FuturePastNow posted:

Oh, I'm sure there are reasons why people have to update a BIOS or uEFI. But it's just not a common or frequent thing even for computer enthusiasts.

At most you do it once when you get the hardware, and once if a new processor comes out on the same socket and needs new chipset firmware to handle it. It's not something you really have any need to do during regular operation.

I've done it twice in the last 2 years, one was to push a Z87 board forward for Haswell Refresh compatibility and the other was a X99 motherboard that needed an update out of the box to get it to POST (lol gently caress you, sincerely Gigabyte). After you do it you're done. Unless you're developing microcode you should literally never have to do it after you get your hardware going.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 12, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

This does eliminate the need to be concerned over board compatibility though, right? AMD could pump out any number of Zen revisions that would normally require a BIOS update for support, but the BIOS is on package so...just drop it into any AM4 motherboard with enough cooling and power delivery?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Paul MaudDib posted:

At most you do it once when you get the hardware, and once if a new processor comes out on the same socket and needs new chipset firmware to handle it. It's not something you really have any need to do during regular operation.

I've done it twice in the last 2 years, one was to push a Z87 board forward for Haswell Refresh compatibility and the other was a X99 motherboard that needed an update out of the box to get it to POST (lol gently caress you, sincerely Gigabyte). After you do it you're done. Unless you're developing microcode you should literally never have to do it after you get your hardware going.

There's a particular x86 instruction that for some reason won't show up as supported to the 64-bit Windows 10 (or 8.1, I think) installer on some Yorkfield Core 2 Quad/Xeon processors with factory microcode. I saw it on a Q8200 and an X3350, but there may be others. Applying a BIOS update that includes a microcode update to fix this is required to advance, although 32-bit Windows 10 or 64-bit Linux installs work perfectly.

That's kind of a corner case though.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 12, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Eletriarnation posted:

There's a particular x86 instruction that for some reason won't show up as supported to the 64-bit Windows 10 (or 8.1, I think) installer on some Yorkfield Core 2 Quad/Xeon processors with factory microcode. I saw it on a Q8200 and an X3350, but there may be others. Applying a BIOS update that includes a microcode update to fix this is required to advance, although 32-bit Windows 10 or 64-bit Linux installs work perfectly.

Interesting, I've got a Q8200 with similar behavior, whats the process to begin remedying this?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Eletriarnation posted:

Even still, your hardware doesn't work and you do the update once and you're done. It's still not something you do regularly.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

And it's probably right that this is just a symptom of them being engineering samples anyway.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

FaustianQ posted:

Interesting, I've got a Q8200 with similar behavior, whats the process to begin remedying this?

Apply your motherboard's newest BIOS update available and the microcode update should be included. If that doesn't work or you already flashed the newest BIOS with that processor in, you may need a motherboard with newer updates to fix it. Both times I saw this it was with Intel boards - DP35DP and DX48BT2 - and both times the update fixed it.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I thought microcode was loaded by the OS during boot, not updated with a BIOS flash. Was I wrong?

Edit: just checked and it is installed during the OS boot. Is there a rudimentary microcode supplied by BIOS chips first, in case the OS doesn't supply microcode?

apropos man fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 15, 2016

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

apropos man posted:

Edit: just checked and it is installed during the OS boot. Is there a rudimentary microcode supplied by BIOS chips first, in case the OS doesn't supply microcode?

Yes, and it does get updated when you flash a new BIOS (and there's new microcode that was added)

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Ah. Makes sense now.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The Bios update can also do things for other controllers on the board. Take my X79 for instance, when it first dropped, it didn't support TRIM in Raid-0 with the Intel ports until like 3 version later. (The X79 was a pretty big mess when it launched). That and certain ram modules and other configurations get updated as bios fixes roll out.

Finally the last update is like 3 years newer than when the board dropped, and fixed a lot of little things along the way. If your system is running fine, then usually you ignore bios updates, but sometimes a Bios update can fix a lot of specific little issues, increase compatibility, and offer some overclocking benefit as certain things get tweaked post launch.

It also is a major thing on a lot of mobile devices as the cooling and battery control can be handled by the Bios as well. (now seems to be changing to smaller independent FW updates like the Surface Pro 3's are having with their batteries)

The good thing is Bios updates have gotten reliably easier to install from Windows itself, and a lot of modern motherboards have safety fallbacks to flash the bios from as USB drive directly in those rare cases something really gets borked.

I actually had to do this with my ACER W500 tablet as for whatever reason, letting an insider preview install of Win 10 expire on the thing rendered the tablet unable to boot. I also had no way of getting to the bios as the USB ports seemed to be rendered completely useless from the Quick Boot/Secure Boot of windows and the UEFI bios.

The only way I finally got the thing to boot was to put the bios file on a fat32 drive, and boot it with a button press combo, which luckily worked and I was once again able to boot and reinstall Windows from USB normally. Fun in Bios land for sure.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
A new WCCFT article for all to winnow what scant few truths can be had from the chaff.

http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-summit-ridge-prices-details-leaked/

Note that the cited source post on Chiphell has been purged, so... Salt now so you're not salty later?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 17, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

This contradicts ShockG's leak earlier that the baseline unlocked 8C/16T model will be ~299$, as 220$ for even the SR3 SKUs would mean an incredibly dense product stack and in which case, if there is only 80$ difference between a 4C/8T and 8C/16T why on earth would I buy the cheaper one? Also, lol, why would most people pay for 4C/8T Haswell-E @ 220-250$ when Kabylake or even Cannonlake would offer similar core counts, higher IPC and lower power consumption for either similar price for number of cores or ~100$ for similar threads?

There was an oddly good comment (for the wrong reasons) on that article that AMD needs to match 4C/4T to i3, 4C/8T to i5 and 8C/8T/16T to i7s even if they achieve Haswell-E performance, otherwise what is the incentive?

EDIT:

So now 8C/16T are all core boost of 3.5Ghz, up from 3.15Ghz just a couple weeks ago, which means single core boost has to be close to 4.0Ghz. Begin to arzy.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 17, 2016

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think the 4C/8T Haswell-E exists so "gamer PC" makers like Alienware can offer another price point.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
AMD is going up uP UP!

up like 25% in 2 days

much like power consumption on Zen and Polaris

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WTF? I knew I should have bit at $6~

Wonder if it's too late to jump on or still to early. Hmm

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit: I'm dumb

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Malcolm XML posted:

AMD is going up uP UP!

up like 25% in 2 days

much like power consumption on Zen and Polaris

I've been long on AMD so long I got my shares for $2.49

Yea :(

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020
This is kind of a shot in the dark, but does anyone have experience running VMs on something like an Athlon 5370 or A6-5200? I ask because I just moved and the movers appear to have had coitus with a bear on/in my workstation(*), so my old phenom II machine is pretty much toast. Something in the sub-$100(**) range that'd let me run a few VMs and do light programming work would be wonderful. The most intensive VM use I get up to is usually spinning up win7 around tax time to run tax software.

(* The loving HSF came loose as far as I can tell and boned the gently caress out of the CPU so bad the system won't even POST. Suuucks.)
(** The power supply tests ok, and I'm hoping the RAM/HDDs are alright, so in theory popping in an AM1-based build or the a6-5200-based all-in-one board Newegg has should maybe get me back on my feet? The stuff I'm looking at all seems to use the same ddr3 ram I've got, even if I'll be going to 2x4gb instead of 4x4gb from the old build... Based on fan activity/LED, I think my video card may have been unscathed too, but these days I don't really have time to game so even the integrated graphics should be fine. There's at least a 50% chance this resurrected frankenbox would end up running headless in a closet somewhere as it is.)

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

volkadav posted:

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but does anyone have experience running VMs on something like an Athlon 5370 or A6-5200?

You should be fine. Provided you aren't trying to mine bitcoin on them or do video editing.

roadhead posted:

I've been long on AMD so long I got my shares for $2.49

Yea :(

I got in late, at 3.59 :( Come on baby, let's go to 15.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

We appear to have some new leaks, saw these linked on Dresdenboy's twitter so not just random crap here.

Its a 4 page thread so I just c/p'd the most relevant or interesting parts here. The BIOS being on package/die and requiring 30 min. to clear is one of the oddest tidbits to come out so far about Zen. Maybe just a thing for their engineering samples? I dunno.

'Only AMD can update the BIOS code' bothers me a little bit, especially after hearing all the security crap that went on with Lenovo and their BIOS installing bloatware or leaving people vulnerable to BIOS code hacks. Stop taking control away from end users, we don't need another Apple running around and forcing bullshit rules on consumers.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What are the advantages of on chip BIOS?

I get it removes some external circuitry. I imagine AMD think (if this will happen in retail chips) there are other advantages too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What are the advantages of on chip BIOS?

I get it removes some external circuitry. I imagine AMD think (if this will happen in retail chips) there are other advantages too.

Putting the BIOS on-chip means earlier AM4 boards should Just Work with later AM4 chips, unlike Intel where you need a BIOS update to support newer chips but can't update without either an older CPU or a high-end board that can flash itself with no CPU.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If someone manages to put malware on it you're super screwed.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I wonder what it would do for Post times though..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Probably nothing since post times are mostly the system trying to make heads and tails of what peripheral ports and things are connected to it. Like: Counting USB ports. There are still three. Thunderbolt, 1. Graphics card in PCI-e slot 4 and so on.

• Locked thread