Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
New Balances are mentioned by name in a tribe called quest song and are an enduring symbol of the 90's, this is just another example of appropriation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

They also recently started making some pretty sweet skate shoes. Was actually looking to pick up a pair to replace my aging Janoskis.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

highme posted:

They also recently started making some pretty sweet skate shoes. Was actually looking to pick up a pair to replace my aging Janoskis.

Nothing is more comfortable than skateboard shoes. I wear DC, Supra, and Adidas skate shoes, usually hightop. The padding around the ankles and heel are amazing. It's like walking on air, and the shoes are built to last.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

negromancer posted:

Nothing is more comfortable than skateboard shoes. I wear DC, Supra, and Adidas skate shoes, usually hightop. The padding around the ankles and heel are amazing. It's like walking on air, and the shoes are built to last.

yeah i haven't skated in like 16 years but i never gave up the shoes. they are just so damned nice!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

I'm loving obsessed with Supra. They singlehandedly turned me into a sneakerhead. Gotta get those gum soles.

highme
May 25, 2001

negromancer posted:

Nothing is more comfortable than skateboard shoes.

While I agree with you for the most part, after 42,000 steps over the weekend in LA wearing my Janoskis, I was seriously wishing I had packed my dad rear end New Balance running shoes. I almost gave in & purchased some Adidas Sucius when shopping with my daughter on Melrose, but with how easy it is to get passes to the Nike & Adidas employee stores I have a hard time paying retail for shoes.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

highme posted:

While I agree with you for the most part, after 42,000 steps over the weekend in LA wearing my Janoskis, I was seriously wishing I had packed my dad rear end New Balance running shoes. I almost gave in & purchased some Adidas Sucius when shopping with my daughter on Melrose, but with how easy it is to get passes to the Nike & Adidas employee stores I have a hard time paying retail for shoes.

How easy is it exactly? Be specific. :shittypop:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It's troubling that New Balance's marketing guy is a Trumper, but OTOH it seems like one of the best things you can do to try to fix our society is to buy poo poo that is made in the USA. The more jobs there are here, the less ground conservatives have to stand on when claiming that liberals and minorities are destroying the economy.

:psyduck: were you not around for the Benghazi Spectacular 2000? It doesn't matter if you have any ground to stand on, all that matters is how much penetration your message gets.

highme
May 25, 2001

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

How easy is it exactly? Be specific. :shittypop:

Adidas used to be stupid easy, you could shake a tree and employee store passes would fall out. They've become a little more hard to come by, but I can usually still find one if I need to. I tend to get 2-4 Nike passes a year, but since Mrs. Highme is absolutely certain I have enough pairs of shoes (I don't) I tend not to go too overboard there. There's also a steady stream of barely worn samples etc., that hit the local Goodwills.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

negromancer posted:

They suck if you're flat-footed. Like highme, I pack some dad-kicks like NB or my kitchen shoes stuffed with arch pads if I plan on walking like a ton. I won't trade my heels and ankles for fashion.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 17, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

botany posted:

:psyduck: were you not around for the Benghazi Spectacular 2000? It doesn't matter if you have any ground to stand on, all that matters is how much penetration your message gets.

Sure, but maybe it would shut up all the liberals who keep telling me "they voted for Trump because they're scared about the economy, not because they hate gays and blacks".

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Sure, but maybe it would shut up all the liberals who keep telling me "they voted for Trump because they're scared about the economy, not because they hate gays and blacks".

Show them the NYT exit polls, where people who were most concerned about the economy went for Clinton by 10 points. The only people who went for Trump were the people who were most concerned about terrorism and immigration (i.e. the racists).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

We didn't lose because liberals went Trump, we lost because a lot of them just straight up stayed home. Also a lot of college educated suburbanites and white women in particular didn't show up or flipped. The election can't just be pinned on poor white people, it's the suburbanites who knew what they were voting for and did it anyway because tax cuts that deserve most to burn.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

negromancer posted:

Nothing is more comfortable than skateboard shoes.

Not if you're overweight. Asics / Nike type running shoes are way more comfortable and other shoes feel like there's nothing between your foot and cement.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lightning Knight posted:

We didn't lose because liberals went Trump, we lost because a lot of them just straight up stayed home. Also a lot of college educated suburbanites and white women in particular didn't show up or flipped. The election can't just be pinned on poor white people, it's the suburbanites who knew what they were voting for and did it anyway because tax cuts that deserve most to burn.

no, I think I'm not articulating myself here. I am trans, black, and native american. I am scared shitless. And all these liberals I know keep trying to spin bullshit like "don't worry, the people who voted for Trump are scared about the economy, they don't don't really want to electrocute the queer out of you". And no matter how many times I try to explain to them to shut up and listen to the minority, they just want to trample all over me with "The problem is that the two side just won't talk to each other." Maybe if the economy was good and the racists were still racist these loving dipshit white liberals could get off their high horse for a second and realize that half of america isn't just being deceived by the Republicans, half of America really is just a bunch of racist, misogynist, homophobic, transphobic shitheads.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Well...yeah. But between voting disenfranchisment and low turnouts, we still need white people to turn out In some degree for democrats, don't we?

VikingofRock posted:

Show them the NYT exit polls, where people who were most concerned about the economy went for Clinton by 10 points. The only people who went for Trump were the people who were most concerned about terrorism and immigration (i.e. the racists).

Ooh, link?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

no, I think I'm not articulating myself here. I am trans, black, and native american. I am scared shitless. And all these liberals I know keep trying to spin bullshit like "don't worry, the people who voted for Trump are scared about the economy, they don't don't really want to electrocute the queer out of you". And no matter how many times I try to explain to them to shut up and listen to the minority, they just want to trample all over me with "The problem is that the two side just won't talk to each other." Maybe if the economy was good and the racists were still racist these loving dipshit white liberals could get off their high horse for a second and realize that half of america isn't just being deceived by the Republicans, half of America really is just a bunch of racist, misogynist, homophobic, transphobic shitheads.

I think that things are a self-reinforcing cyclical loop. People are hateful at worst and indifferent at best to minorities and then the economy is bad so they are mad about that and then in comes an orange clown who nearly ties it all together into a scapegoat narrative and drives them into a goddamn frenzy and the hatred against everything reaches a fever pitch. There's decent evidence that this isn't a localized event either. Governments throughout Europe are falling to economic populism mixed with white nationalist and anti-immigration parties.

Trump got less votes than Romney, McCain, or Bush. I think we can fix this long term, but I am not going to deny that white people were complicit in or indifferent towards the suffering of millions and inflicted Trump on us all. It's also probably gonna get worse before it gets better. :smith:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think Trump actually passed Romney after more votes from out west were tallied.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

whydirt posted:

I think Trump actually passed Romney after more votes from out west were tallied.

Ah, hadn't heard that. Well, he managed to get more votes by being a racist shitbag than a literal Wall Street robot pretending to be a presidential candidate, so congrats?

countdown to "haha you mean Hillary right?"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Can you expand a little on being black and Native American sometime? That seems like a very interesting experience. I have native friends, but the rest of their family is white.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

McCloud posted:

Ooh, link?

Here. But I think that by posting that I may have accidentally started the eternal "who exactly is to blame for the election loss" holy war in yet another thread, so I'm gonna go ahead and apologize for that and drop the topic. This thread is consistently really good and interesting, and I don't want to be the white guy who barged in and turned it into another USPOL.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Here's another thing I hate, whites/liberals/etc keep saying "We've gotten through everything, we'll get from this"

But what they don't understand or willfully ignore is that not all of us got through it. People were killed. And they will continue to be killed. Jut because the country "made it" and you exist doesn't mean that many people weren't lost.

There's been a huge spike in violence. There will still be violence. This streak of white supremacy will only fester until it's crushed. And it must be crushed.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 18, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'm sorry if that's what you thought I was trying to say KM, that's not how I meant it.

I'll see myself out. :smith:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm sorry if that's what you thought I was trying to say KM, that's not how I meant it.

I'll see myself out. :smith:

Oh no that wasn't you. It mostly a response to Tom Hank's dumbass speech.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tom Hanks is right. Multi-millionaire actor Tom Hanks is going to be just fine.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Koalas March posted:

Here's another thing I hate, whites/liberals/etc keep saying "We've gotten through everything, we'll get from this"

But what they don't understand or willfully ignore is that not all of us got through it. People were killed. And they will continue to be killed. Jut because the country "made it" and you exist doesn't mean that many people weren't lost.

There's been a huge spike in violence. There will still be violence. This streak of white supremacy will only fester until it's crushed. And it must be crushed.

Yeah, that's the line here in Canada too -- "nothing's really going to change for us anyway". Well, guess what? The civil war in Syria probably isn't going to materially change my life either, but I'm still free to express my displeasure at it and see what, if anything, I can do to lessen its effects or stop it.

I mean, yeah, I'm actually quite pleased that there's comparatively little chance of anything significantly impacting my life as a result of Trump's election compared to an American or particularly an American who's a minority, but that doesn't make it right to simply ignore it as a result.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

VikingofRock posted:

Here. But I think that by posting that I may have accidentally started the eternal "who exactly is to blame for the election loss" holy war in yet another thread, so I'm gonna go ahead and apologize for that and drop the topic. This thread is consistently really good and interesting, and I don't want to be the white guy who barged in and turned it into another USPOL.

It's kind of funny how Negrotown has become a geography club, even if it's not all that fair.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can you expand a little on being black and Native American sometime? That seems like a very interesting experience. I have native friends, but the rest of their family is white.

I can't really speak to her experiences (obviously) but my grandpa on my mom's side was Black and Native American and grew up on a reservation. He never talked about his childhood all that often but the place he grew up in was/is horrifically poor and he experienced a great deal of racism from the community.

Similar to my situation with my own dad's family, my mom's frequently told me about how her great-grandmother seemingly disliked her and my grandfather's family. Whenever my mom and uncles would visit her, she'd hide them away whenever she had visitors. One story my mom mentioned before is about when my great-grandmother's boss showed up to pick up his laundry from her. Her boss had his daughter with him and she went to the side of the house where my then five-ish year old mother was playing with her doll. She and my mom played for a few minutes and when it was time for them to go, the boss's daughter ran off with my mom's doll. My mom ran over to grab the doll and according to both my mom and uncles, my great-grandmother smacked her across the mouth and apologized to her boss on my mom's behalf.

My mom's in her early 60s now and to this day she still tears up when she talks about that story. Things like that happening to her when she was younger is why I feel like Trump's election barely registered with her and my uncles.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

there wolf posted:

It's kind of funny how Negrotown has become a geography club, even if it's not all that fair.

Negrotown is like Springfield in the Simpsons. It's everywhere but nowhere.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

Negrotown is like Springfield in the Simpsons. It's everywhere but nowhere.

Negrotown, North Tacoma

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I feel like Negrotown would be in the Nutbush City Limits, personally.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So this might be verging on rage fodder, but I guess it's kinda pertinent to the election, and I haven't seen it discussed much elsewhere.

For a while, it's been known that Facebook can tell quite a lot about its users, like their relationship status, sexual preference or ethnicity. Facebook lets advertisers use this information when targeting ads, with potential consequences along the lines of the kind of BS that required the Fair Housing Act.n So apart from this being the next potential totally-legal form of redlining, the next logical step was Donald Trump's election campaign using Facebook to target voter suppression campaigns against black people in swing states:

quote:

To compensate for this, Trump’s campaign has devised another strategy, which, not surprisingly, is negative. Instead of expanding the electorate, Bannon and his team are trying to shrink it. “We have three major voter suppression operations under way,” says a senior official. They’re aimed at three groups Clinton needs to win overwhelmingly: idealistic white liberals, young women, and African Americans. Trump’s invocation at the debate of Clinton’s WikiLeaks e-mails and support for the Trans-Pacific Partnership was designed to turn off Sanders supporters. The parade of women who say they were sexually assaulted by Bill Clinton and harassed or threatened by Hillary is meant to undermine her appeal to young women. And her 1996 suggestion that some African American males are “super predators” is the basis of a below-the-radar effort to discourage infrequent black voters from showing up at the polls—particularly in Florida.

On Oct. 24, Trump’s team began placing spots on select African American radio stations. In San Antonio, a young staffer showed off a South Park-style animation he’d created of Clinton delivering the “super predator” line (using audio from her original 1996 sound bite), as cartoon text popped up around her: “Hillary Thinks African Americans are Super Predators.” The animation will be delivered to certain African American voters through Facebook “dark posts”—nonpublic posts whose viewership the campaign controls so that, as Parscale puts it, “only the people we want to see it, see it.” The aim is to depress Clinton’s vote total. “We know because we’ve modeled this,” says the official. “It will dramatically affect her ability to turn these people out.”

I feel like this is the sort of thing that needs to be addressed with legislation (similar to the Fair Housing Act), but that legislation is definitely not going to happen with the Republicans in control of all three branches.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
That actually came up in USPOL in October when that story first broke. That guy is an idiot because that's not what "voter suppression" means. Voter suppression is the government intentionally making it harder for (certain types of) people to vote, via ID laws, reducing DMV hours, cutting early voting days and hours, and cutting polling places.

What that guy is talking about is targeted ads to try and demoralize the opposing base and get them to stay home, which in general is a legitimate tactic and while I think that their ads were stupid and that the "superpredator" meme is played out, they were actually relevant to their target audience. It was the same basic strategy being employed by the Hillary campaign to attempt to get business conservatives or neoconservatives to stay home and avoid Trump because he's a piece of poo poo, just being used by morons.

That said, the massive amount of unaccountable data collection on users is super hosed up, though I doubt we could ever get somebody to do anything about it. I'm more concerned about them using data collection to let companies decide to just straight up exclude black people from seeing their ads, which is a thing Facebook actually does.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

VikingofRock posted:

I will say that there's a lot of surprising stuff there. 17% lgbt, 30% hispanic/asian, 53% white women (!). These groups are like the last groups I would have expected to vote for him. I am deeply dissapointed in my people. drat log cabin repblicans

McCloud fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 18, 2016

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Holy motherfucking poo poo, Trump somehow picked an AG even worse than Giuliani

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

quote:

In 1986, Sessions became only the second nominee in 50 years to be denied confirmation as a federal judge after allegations that he had made racist remarks. Those included testimony that in 1986 he had called an African-American prosecutor "boy," an allegation Sessions denied.

Sessions said he was not a racist, but said at his hearing that groups such as the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the American Civil Liberties Union could be considered "un-American."

gently caress

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
No really guys both candidates were equally bad.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Trump's just going to keep appointing monsters to cabinet positions, and in the end there wont be enough resources to deal with all the poo poo raining down on vulnerable groups.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Clinton is a piece of poo poo, but nothing is worth a Trump presidency. I support faithless electors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Dexo posted:

No really guys both candidates were equally bad.

Guys, can't we just stop all the hate? American is divided and we need to be united :(

Something people have unironically be posting at me today

• Locked thread