Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Baron Snow posted:

If anyone feels this way and didn't click this link the last time I posted it, it's still the best/worst I got.

I'm seconding this recommendation too because god drat, this is the most self indulgent thing I've ever read and I love it.

EDIT: Well, as long as I'm sniping this page...

Baron Snow posted:

Kami-sama Gakuen @ Armeria is probably the dumbest fluffy shoujo thing I've ever read. I can't stop reading it for some reason, and I can't bring myself to describe it, so I'm copy-pasting from Batoto here: "Yanagawa Rokuhana is a student from Armeria - a school where only 30 students are attending. Little did Yanagawa realized that she was actually the chosen one by God to protect the world from the almighty, God of the Death."

VibrantPareidolia fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MonsieurChoc posted:

There was also Papa Haydn as everyone's mentor and Paganini who made all the ladies swoon. Are they in this?

Edit: I'm dumb, Paganini wasn't a composer. Haydn's in it though! As a kid?
Paganini was definitely a composer, he's just much more well-known as a violin virtuoso

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Coaaab posted:

Paganini was definitely a composer, he's just much more well-known as a violin virtuoso

And Liszt wants to be just like him, I love this stupid manga. :allears:

coathat
May 21, 2007

pandabear posted:

This is the best reverse harem shoujo manga about dead classical musicians ever. Let it cleanse your soul: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Classi9

I only read a chapter of this but I remember laughing at it a lot http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/boku-no-chopin-r3728

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
In today's Tamen De Gushi, we learn that food has expiry dates for a reason.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mikl posted:

In today's Tamen De Gushi, we learn that food has expiry dates for a reason.
Did she just leave it in her locker? :barf:

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
I don't know if anyone else reads I'm Concerned about Nekota but in the latest chapter, a powerful new rival appears and it is very very good.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

dordreff posted:

I don't know if anyone else reads I'm Concerned about Nekota but in the latest chapter, a powerful new rival appears and it is very very good.

I read it! Pretty interesting development. Basically just speculating but... I'm guessing it's like, Mikki never bothered with getting to know people because she was always moving around, but because of his cat head, she got interested in Nekota and that led to her being friends with everyone. And now new girl has hangups about guys because of her deadbeat dad, so maybe her teaming up with Mikki to figure out Nekota's deal will help her get over that??

Doesn't really explain why it's always Nekota or why he specifically has a cat head, though.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
In the latest Kaguya:

:laugh:

(Being Hayasaka is suffering.)

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

dordreff posted:

I'm looking forward to Amane and the new powerful girl having fun together. They can both sit on the balcony together or talk about how strange Nekota is over ramen :3:

I also like the fact that the series is continuing beyond elementary school. Makes me wonder if we'll ever get a high school/college arc, but at the very least more chapters is always a good thing!

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Mikl posted:

In the latest Kaguya:

:laugh:

(Being Hayasaka is suffering.)

I aspire to reach this level of treat yo self

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

pandabear posted:

reverse harem shoujo manga

Speaking of this genre.

This started recently http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Akuma-ni-Chic-x-Hack

Demon gets summoned by a kid, but gets unsummoned before she can fulfil his desperate, crying wish. Comes back years later, and disguises herself to transfer into his all-boys school. Everyone immediately begins falling for "him", and the little boy is a shoujo-manly man now and he might be in love with a classmate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

VibrantPareidolia posted:

I aspire to reach this level of treat yo self

What in god's name is she pouring in that pool? :stare:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Bath salts.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

pandabear posted:

This is the best reverse harem shoujo manga about dead classical musicians ever. Let it cleanse your soul: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Classi9

chopin is a cutie. I'm still weirded out by Mozart though.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Chucking a beach chair into the bath is a new and clever technique. At least until the rust starts.

Great chapter. And that cover from a few weeks ago is apt... Kaguya herself is probably the least liked girl among the main characters!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Plastic beach chairs can't rust.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Darth Walrus posted:

What in god's name is she pouring in that pool? :stare:

Something that's more recognizable as a drug these days.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Cool thanks

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8n9NN7sAi0

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy crap, a ton of stuff happened in this one single chapter of please love the useless me. It felt like I read like 3 chapters.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dame-na-Watashi-ni-Koishite-Kudasai/Vol-006-Ch-024?id=329325

I literally can't wait to see his reaction

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Michiko made so many amazing faces this chapter. So many.

And yeah wow, a ton of stuff happened.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Two new chapters of Virgin's Empire. Chie and Ah-chan are still the best, but Ayano earned some points. http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/virgins_empire_ch79

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In the new chappie of Machida, Machida gets friggin married.

http://bato.to/reader#ce8a103cef151e44_2

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Chie and Ah-chan are still the best
Its true

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I want to marry Machida

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Same, he's a wonderful guy.

I'm currently reading Franken Fran while taking breaks to read things like Machida. It is a good way to manga.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

And a great UFC fighter too.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Fan dub of Tsurezure Children! Anime when

https://youtu.be/ifce1kw5x58

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been reading Out of Control and it's pretty good, kind of like His Favorite but more grounded (no weird sadism humor). A lot of the drama is around bullying and naturally one character has a tragic past that makes them act like a turd, and the art is a bit sloppy but I think the style works for this. It's complete at 82 chapters so if you want to read the whole thing in one go it should be out fairly soon. I can do without reading "ew webtoon" remarks so if you have issues with that format just move along and pretend you saw nothing here.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hi guys sorry for disappearing a bit...

Everything Burrito posted:

I've been reading Out of Control and it's pretty good, kind of like His Favorite but more grounded (no weird sadism humor). A lot of the drama is around bullying and naturally one character has a tragic past that makes them act like a turd, and the art is a bit sloppy but I think the style works for this. It's complete at 82 chapters so if you want to read the whole thing in one go it should be out fairly soon. I can do without reading "ew webtoon" remarks so if you have issues with that format just move along and pretend you saw nothing here.

This actually looks really great - definitely reminds me of His Favorite a bit so far except with a good deal more realism and no bizarre humor that pretty much breaks the fourth wall (which His Favorite is prone to doing and not often successfully). I'm a bit leery of this whole coin thing and the pay structure though... I like tangible things...

Speaking of which! I recently won a lucrative eBay auction that contained like 12 yaoi manga, but among them was Dog Style volumes 1-3 by Modoru Motoni in brand new condition, which is pretty awesome! I had never read it and had NO IDEA what I was gettting myself into.

This is just a goddamn fantastic manga, I would hesitate to even *classify* it is yaoi because it's got WAY too much realism and attitude and its own independent style. This is 'yaoi' I'd feel comfortable recommending to straight readers it's so well done, to be honest. It just has an attitude, art style, character style, and point of view that feels very unique and outsider-like. And it's one of the VERY few 'yaoi' manga that actually portrays gay sex semi-realistically.

For example, early on the bottom isn't really getting off from the guy topping him, and in fact the guy topping him is so inexperienced/over-excited/accidentally rough (and I've been with guys like this and had to deal with this exact thing) that he's just going at you without much consideration and you just grit your teeth and bear the pain and finish yourself off afterwards. And maybe it IS arousing and great in its own right and just because it was painful and you didn't come during sex doesn't mean it was BAD... but it's also a very delicate situation because you don't want to damage someone's ego, particularly if they're younger or less experienced....

Anyway, I've only read volume 1 and a tiny bit of volume 2 so far - this is so good I want to take my time with it. But like I said, I am fairly blown away by the realism of the sex.

note: A small but very significant reason why I really love Dog Style is also because... well... one of the two main characters GREATLY resembles L from Death Note at times. And uh, that's tough to resist. But all of that aside, it's one of the best manga I've ever read so far in my life and I'm afraid to finish it because I don't want it to end yet, so I'm just re-reading the first book, even though I have 2 and 3!

I'm also *finally* making my way through all of ZE by Yuki Shimizu. I read volumes 1/2 years ago and long since finished collected all 11 volumes, with several copies of the formerly impossible-to-find volume 6... Anyway it's a fun series... It is just SO much like the yaoi-Fruits Basket that it's almost comical... Except the role of Tohru is played by an exceptionally well-hung tall blonde boy :pwn: He's not really much of a focus after the first 2 volumes of this 11-part series it seems, though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

kaworu posted:

Dog Style volumes 1-3 by Modoru Motoni

Congrats, I didn't know that had a regular release, thought it was just a digital license since that's all mangaupdates lists for it. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed that one, I was a little leery of that author since it seems like a lot of her works are full of terrible people causing themselves drama but I liked the characters a lot. Can't really respond on the realism point though :v:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Congrats, I didn't know that had a regular release, thought it was just a digital license since that's all mangaupdates lists for it. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed that one, I was a little leery of that author since it seems like a lot of her works are full of terrible people causing themselves drama but I liked the characters a lot. Can't really respond on the realism point though :v:

Yeah the book copies are like... I dunno $50 a pop and like $75-125 for all 3 usually. I got a drat good deal with an auction that had all three along with some other Kitty books, another by the some mangaka (Poison Cherry Drive which I havent read yet) and about seven 801 titles from June - I already had copies of 3, but 4 of them are new. I've almost got every 801 title ever printed now. I'm only missing maybe... 3 or 4. It's impressive 'cos a lot of them are uncensored.

But yeah the sex (at least based on my reading 1.2 volumes of the 3 volume series) is WAYYYYY more accurate to real gay sex (except the whole part about it being outside) than about 98% of yaoi manga out there. They actually use a condom, and it's painful as gently caress for the experienced bottom because the top is a goddamn horny 16-year-old who doesn't know what he's going. In nearly every yaoi in the world every 16 year old is usually magically amazing at sex whether they're a top or a bottom because that's all part of the fantasy. And that's okay sometimes!

I'm just saying that I appreciate some realism and SOME real-life masculinity in my yaoi without having to freakin' read bara or something. Guess I should stick to stuff like Kou Yoneda/Kano Miyamoto/Youka Nita if I want that... Oh wait I own everything they've printed over here and even read most of their scanlated stuff :(

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

kaworu posted:

I'm just saying that I appreciate some realism and SOME real-life masculinity in my yaoi without having to freakin' read bara or something. Guess I should stick to stuff like Kou Yoneda/Kano Miyamoto/Youka Nita if I want that... Oh wait I own everything they've printed over here and even read most of their scanlated stuff :(

You should really add Kotetsuko Yamamoto to that list! I know you hate the digital stuff but unfortunately there's very little if any of her work printed here and it's so good. For a good place to start I think you can buy most if not all of her baseball stories in English, they're stand-alone but interconnected with some of the same characters and teams crossing over, and it's just cool because you can tell she really loves some baseball when drawing these guys but most of it isn't about the games it's just the setting. My favorite of those is Love and Baseball because it shows the end of a lovely relationship with a mature and drama-free breakup, and the two main characters are a guy who sells sports equipment to pro teams and a player who got injured after moving up to the majors so he's dealing with having to put his career on hold so they aren't superstars, just guys who really love baseball and meet through their profession.

(Honto Yajuu updated the other day and I read the new chapter this morning so I gotta evangelize)

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Man, that is SO funny you mention her because literally a few days ago I pulled a random June one-off I haven't read off the shelf for something different - you see, at some point I accumulated *so goddamn many* of those cheap oversized June titles that there are at least a dozen or so I still haven't read. So every now and then when I'm bored I just pull one off the shelf - maybe 25% of the time it turns out to near-unreadably bad and poorly done, 50% of the time I am fairly amused and pleased, and maybe 25% of the time I hit upon something I genuinely really like.

So anyway, two days ago I spun the roulette wheel and pulled "New Beginning" by Kotetsuko Yamamoto off the shelf - didn't know her, had fairly low expectations (as described above) and was blown the gently caress away by how good it was. It was just this INCREDIBLY adorable puppy love story between these two characters who felt... so three dimensional and so real. And there was no 'action' because the writing was so good and the characters so true that it just... It really blew me away. It also blew me away by having a female side-character who turns out to be gay as well and this works its way into the mainstream story in a big way. I suppose it was just that all the characters and their feelings really were handled with a great deal of sensitivity and respect. Also, the way he was drawn, the tall character Chihiro who is gay and confesses his love early on, the way he is drawn he just looks *eerily* like an idealized anime version of me at that age that it simultaneously is creepy and satisfying in a way.

But yeah, holy poo poo - I just saw that online there's a freaking SEQUEL to this I can get (Doki Doki Crush) so I'm sold. And is the baseball story you mean 'Tweeting Love Birds", 2 volumes? I freaking love both yaoi and baseball so the combination of the two is always fantastic - Ellie Mamahara (another underrated mangaka who draws real men in her own unique style) did a good one, Baseball Heaven, but it kinda loses its way/focus walkfway through and isn't the awesome baseball yaoi I've always wanted. So I have semi high expectations here :ohdear:

edit: I cannot stress how incredibly adorable I found Chihiro and Keigo from New Beginnings, though. Most yaoi couples I forgot about almost immediately when I'm not reading a manga about them, but they stuck in my head for sure.. I can't wait to read the sequel~ (I'd squee but my vocal register doesn't go high enough)

kaworu fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 18, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah Tweeting Love Birds is where it starts, then there's a sequel to that and Love and Baseball is a spinoff from the sequel but each story is more or less standalone, I read part of them out of order tbh. New Beginning is so freaking good, and I totally forgot there was a print version (which I own even lmao). But really I can't think of anything that I've read of hers that I didn't like, some of them just stand out to me more than others.

I was dumb and skipped her manga for a long time because the covers were so blah, which was a huge mistake that I have since rectified by reading everything

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah Tweeting Love Birds is where it starts, then there's a sequel to that and Love and Baseball is a spinoff from the sequel but each story is more or less standalone, I read part of them out of order tbh. New Beginning is so freaking good, and I totally forgot there was a print version (which I own even lmao). But really I can't think of anything that I've read of hers that I didn't like, some of them just stand out to me more than others.

I was dumb and skipped her manga for a long time because the covers were so blah, which was a huge mistake that I have since rectified by reading everything

Haha, I guess I really need to catch up now :) So nice to have stuff like that to look forward to reading. Just a shame nobody is much interested in publishing real yaoi books anymore besides Viz/Sublime, and DMG'll only release new titles if WE fund them via kickstarter basically it seems but they don't even get off their arses to do that, and frankly the artist they just finded via kickstarter (Sakira) well, her books really kinda sucked badly. Hate to say it. Maybe it just ain't my taste but man. I like masculine men but not with, uh, cleavage from pecs the size of breasts. To think they could have funded a GOOD artist with STORYTELLING ability? Nah, we'll go censored pseudo-bara so you don't even get to enjoy the smut because it's defaced with dozens of white blanks :rolleyes: Oh well.

Oh, in some really awesome news, TEN COUNT v. 2 just came out, and those who like to support good yaoi should buy it - with the caveat that volume 2 may be more offensive/challenging than volume 1, and if you thought this was gonna be a manga light on sex scenes, you are going to be proven wrong... But I think it was actually extraordinarily well done and I don't think what Kurose did could really be construed as rape for a number of reasons.

Also, I've been making friends with some of the other yaoi fanatics on eBay - one of the really big ones sellers with tons of books for sale at any given point turned out to be a real sweetheart - I mean, he's like 56 and divorced with kids in their 20s, but that's part for the course with regard to a lot of yaoi fans. When I was a teenage yaoi fan I was literally inundated with surrogate mother figures online fussing over me and trying to protect me from any pervy older guys who'd show up on the boards, it was funny...

But anyway we've been e-mailing back and forth for weeks now, just chatting about yaoi and life and the political crap going on and whatnot. Last weekshe told me that she was sending me a present to make me feel better about the Trump victory, which I finally got in the mail this morning, and it just like *made my week*. What was it? I shall show you:

You guys should be able to figure out who those adorable little chibi figurines are. I just *really* love Shirotani as a character and identify with him and it's just awesome to have my little Shiro and Kuro charms... I'm afraid to put Shiro on my keychain because I dunno if he'd survive, but I think they both find good homes on my School-Bag somewhere, as well as be in positions of prominence with other declarations of queerness :3:

But man, the Japanese sure know how to make awesome cute stuff huh? We could take a lesson. I mean Kuro and Shiro are just... EEEEeee so cute... Shiro even has his white gloves and his little notebook and his pen :xd:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm completely confused by how much I am enjoying Classi9. I don't normally like reverse harem stuff that isn't Ouran.

I think part of it is just the utter absurdity of all these people involved.

And also the fact that the girl is also a famous composer.

...a male one, because of course.

(It is also super weird to me to see Wagner portrayed in a way that makes him an rear end in a top hat yet doesn't even begin to touch on his antisemitism, but that's neither here nor there.)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ahhh those charms :3: that's so awesome
I was looking at the Ten Count swag on CD Japan the other day but it was all sold out unfortunately (or fortunately, for my wallet :v: ). Thanks for the reminder about v2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

kaworu posted:

You guys should be able to figure out who those adorable little chibi figurines are. I just *really* love Shirotani as a character and identify with him and it's just awesome to have my little Shiro and Kuro charms... I'm afraid to put Shiro on my keychain because I dunno if he'd survive, but I think they both find good homes on my School-Bag somewhere, as well as be in positions of prominence with other declarations of queerness :3:

But man, the Japanese sure know how to make awesome cute stuff huh? We could take a lesson. I mean Kuro and Shiro are just... EEEEeee so cute... Shiro even has his white gloves and his little notebook and his pen :xd:

There's the Rihito artbook Mirrors if you're looking for more 10 Count art works. I browsed through it hoping for her other lesser known art but mostly just covers and colored two-pages of them. Although I like the little charms I always feel bad since Idk where to attach them as I don't really use cellphone charms and it'd get beat-up on my keys.

New manga I picked up based off a novel: I Sold Off My Lifespan, For 10,000 Yen A Year
A man strapped for cash finds out about a store where he can sell his lifespan. After selling it in desperation, he comes to learn the value of life.

http://vgperson.com/other/mangaviewer.php?m=3

Alder fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 19, 2016