Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

Kat is playing 35 minutes a game, which is less than Anthony Davis (who has an injury history) and as many as Durant of Giannis did last year, but no one talks about those guys minutes. Marc Gasol played 34.5 last year and is 11 years older and probably 25 lbs heavier. I'd like KAT's minutes a little less, but Thibs IS in line with what other coaches are doing, but that has nothing to do with criticism in today's world. Just say stuff, ignore reality.

It's not in line with what other good coaches are doing. Take a look at the leaders in minutes per game among Centers over the last half decade or so. It's a who's who in guys with injury problems.

Gasol missed the second half of last season with a broken foot. Not sure he'd be the go-to example of a big guy handling big minutes in today's NBA.

Lockback posted:

Wiggins is playing less minutes than like a half dozen other wings so I don't know how to even start there.

I said I don't mind it as much for wings. I think it's a dumb strategy as you go into the playoffs against good teams who have more rested players. I don't think it was a coincidence that many of Thibs playoff teams were riddled with injuries and gassed come playoff time here.

And you're not arguing with me about this. You're arguing with coaches like Popovich and Kerr who feel this stuff matters. I guess they'll continue to ignore "reality" too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

35 minutes per game is a completely normal amount of minutes for a star player to play. The problem with those bulls teams was that you have Deng/Rose playing 37-40 MPG and he was not taking them out when they had no reason to play.

I don't see any problem with KAT playing that much, but if you see him going higher then I'd start to worry. Everyone on this Wolves team is playing a completely reasonable minutes total.

e: I suppose you could argue that Zach Lavine is playing too many minutes, but it's not like he is taking playing time away from players that matter.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 18, 2016

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Niwrad posted:

It's not in line with what other good coaches are doing. Take a look at the leaders in minutes per game among Centers over the last half decade or so. It's a who's who in guys with injury problems.

Gasol missed the second half of last season with a broken foot. Not sure he'd be the go-to example of a big guy handling big minutes in today's NBA.

I said I don't mind it as much for wings. I think it's a dumb strategy as you go into the playoffs against good teams who have more rested players. I don't think it was a coincidence that many of Thibs playoff teams were riddled with injuries and gassed come playoff time here.

And you're not arguing with me about this. You're arguing with coaches like Popovich and Kerr who feel this stuff matters. I guess they'll continue to ignore "reality" too.

Looks like Pop played Duncan similar minutes until he got old?

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/215/tim-duncan

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Adun posted:

lol owned

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Pop also thought threes weren't worth shooting and Bruce Bowen should be in the league, he's not infallible

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Steph Curry literally looks like a child so this makes sense.

How does Ayesha look at herself in the mirror.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
It also seems wrong to compare teams that are obviously conserving players for long runs in the playoffs vs. young teams with a new head coach trying to teach his system

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
https://www.google.com/#q=thibodeau+quote+minutes
About 605,000 results (0.64 seconds)

Thibs' minutes distribution has been called into question for years now, and I seem to remember those most stories about it in 2014 and I do believe Thibs offered up a fair amount of pushback quotes that seemed to take offense and deny it was a problem. Basically "Jordan did it so it's okay" and "you need to work hard ALL the time" and some things that didn't exactly deny the problem. BUT at the time the Bulls front office was busy talking poo poo about him nonstop because that relationship was ending. I never personally saw a firm conclusion as to the extent of the problem, but it really does seem like the Bulls training staff wasn't exactly competent so they may not have been giving him the best modern sports science advice.

Everything I've read about him seems to indicate that he's a an oldschool hardass workaholic who puts in endless minutes himself and expects his players to be the same.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
People always focus on that extra 3-4 minutes in a game because that's what they see but it seems like the workload/rest between games is a much bigger factor in injury risk. I don't think Thibs is doing anything wrong with his rotations.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

nachos posted:

People always focus on that extra 3-4 minutes in a game because that's what they see but it seems like the workload/rest between games is a much bigger factor in injury risk. I don't think Thibs is doing anything wrong with his rotations.

Yeah, that was one of his responses. Kind of "you don't know what we're doing in practice!"

But the problem with that is he's Tom Thibodeau which means he's probably working them really hard in practice.

edit: accidentally used Thom Bombadilleaux spelling

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 18, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
When I commented yesterday on thibs, I was talking about him playing his starters heavy minutes in blowouts

If you need 40 minutes to win a single game fine, but when you're up by 30-40 most of the time, I think that's time better spent working in the bench for experience

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I haven't been able to watch sixers games at all recently. From box scores embiid looks like a typical young big who has potential. Has he been doing some cool highlight poo poo?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Cool Buff Man posted:

Honestly he is most likely very upset that the team is doing well without him so he's going to become locker room AIDS at any moment and become completely ostracized, it's a pattern

Sounds like an alpha move tbh

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Time posted:

I haven't been able to watch sixers games at all recently. From box scores embiid looks like a typical young big who has potential. Has he been doing some cool highlight poo poo?

Every single game.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Tae posted:

When I commented yesterday on thibs, I was talking about him playing his starters heavy minutes in blowouts

If you need 40 minutes to win a single game fine, but when you're up by 30-40 most of the time, I think that's time better spent working in the bench for experience

Yeah that was my (admittedly somewhat flippant) point in posting it. 38 mins a game is fine, but playing that many in a huge blowout seemed a bit odd.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Time posted:

Yeah he's really good

Last night thibs just smothered him tho

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/799605513591947264

Alphas don't pass

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

Timberwolves games have all been really close. Last night he wanted his starters to finish the game because they haven't been able to finish all season. He played guys somewhat long minutes 1 time and everyone immediately starts the tired narrative that doesn't fit the other 10 games at all.

Niwrad posted:

Last year Draymond Green played less than a minute less than KAT is playing this year, so no. I'm not arguing with them either, Kerr is perfectly fine with young centers playing 35 minutes per game. I'm arguing with people who are arguing against reality.

Paul Zuvella posted:

The problem with those bulls teams was that you have Deng/Rose playing 37-40 MPG and he was not taking them out when they had no reason to play.

Deng did play big minutes, but didn't really have injury problems. Rose played 1 season @ 37 minutes per game (which was the less than guys like Eric Gordon, Deron Williams, and John Wall) and the rest of the time he averaged under 36. Rose's injuries had nothing to do with minutes played, his knees were just messed.

Noah probably should have played less minutes in 2 of the 5 seasons Thibs coached him. I think that has a lot more to do with how Noah plays, and KAT seems like he's built a lot better to withstand more games.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

Last year Draymond Green played less than a minute less than KAT is playing this year, so no. I'm not arguing with them either, Kerr is perfectly fine with young centers playing 35 minutes per game. I'm arguing with people who are arguing against reality.

Draymond is 6'6. KAT is 7'. 7-footers are much more prone to injury.

Lockback posted:

Timberwolves games have all been really close. Last night he wanted his starters to finish the game because they haven't been able to finish all season. He played guys somewhat long minutes 1 time and everyone immediately starts the tired narrative that doesn't fit the other 10 games at all.

No, this wasn't some exception. He played Bulls starters deep in blowouts all the time. This is the norm.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

They feast.

Also, ESPN with the deep dive into the Cuban/Parsons bromance, because... poo poo, I have no idea why.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18059446/chandler-parsons-mark-cuban-bromance-threatened-mavericks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I feel like we've been talking about thibs playing time issues for decades.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Jack's Flow posted:

They feast.

Also, ESPN with the deep dive into the Cuban/Parsons bromance, because... poo poo, I have no idea why.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18059446/chandler-parsons-mark-cuban-bromance-threatened-mavericks

quote:

As the booze flowed, Cuban made joking low-ball offers, Parsons chuckled at them, and they eventually moved on. When it was almost time to make the short trip back to the Skirvin Hotel, Cuban was settling up the tab and posing for pictures with some of the wait staff, while the taxi the club's management had called for the owner idled in the alley out back.

Spotting the cab as he left with friends, Parsons saw an opportunity to get the last laugh. He hopped in with his boys, slipped the driver a $100 bill and told him to take off.

The timing worked to perfection. Just as the cab started rolling, Cuban walked out. Parsons rolled down the window and stuck out his head.

"Max or nothing, m-----f-----!" Parsons hollered at Cuban, cracking up his crew.

really digging parsons here

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

euphronius posted:

I feel like we've been talking about thibs playing time issues for decades.

That's what I was sayin'! It never got even close to resolved, partially (mostly?) because of the nonsense surrounding the Bulls front office and their media relations. Chicago posters could probably talk a bit more about the why and how of that, but I got the impression they were siding with Thibs and finding the minutes thing to be a bit of a called-hit on him by his bosses?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This was mentioned yesterday, but, hey, a twitter link!

https://twitter.com/brohrbach/status/799690411543560192

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Joel Embiid is the most self aware human being on the planet and I love it

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder if owners could funnel more money to players by offering a beverage contract to a player's branded beverage at the arena.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Watching Wiggins and Embiid laughing and talking during a foul shot warmed my Jayheart.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

They feast.

It's because tonight is the first game Parsons plays in Dallas since leaving.

Cuban should be too old to be going clubbing like the article describes.

edit: "At one point, Parsons pitched his boss on something bold: Say farewell to high-scoring free agent Monta Ellis, who clashed with Parsons and wore out his welcome with many in the Mavs organization" I knew Parsons was behind this. Crazy that MacMahon is still throwing shade at Monta. (Multiple other reliable Mavs reporters have claimed that McMahon's claims regarding Monta wearing out his welcome/being an issue are false.)

It's especially funny when you consider Parsons isn't on the team and Monta is EXACTLY the type of player the Mavs have needed this season. While you can't blame him for getting injured and not living up to his deal on the court, I'd argue running Monta out of town is worth booing him.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 18, 2016

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I'm legit excited to watch Devin Booker kill the Pacers tonight. He's fun as hell to watch.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spacebump posted:

It's because tonight is the first game Parsons plays in Dallas since leaving.

Cuban should be too old to be going clubbing like the article describes.

edit: "At one point, Parsons pitched his boss on something bold: Say farewell to high-scoring free agent Monta Ellis, who clashed with Parsons and wore out his welcome with many in the Mavs organization" I knew Parsons was behind this. Crazy that MacMahon is still throwing shade at Monta. (Multiple other reliable Mavs reporters have claimed that McMahon's claims regarding Monta wearing out his welcome/being an issue are false.)

It's especially funny when you consider Parsons isn't on the team and Monta is EXACTLY the type of player the Mavs have needed this season. While you can't blame him for getting injured and not living up to his deal on the court, I'd argue running Monta out of town is worth booing him.

The Seth Curry Show is going to be interesting

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Spacebump posted:

It's especially funny when you consider Parsons isn't on the team and Monta is EXACTLY the type of player the Mavs have needed this season.

A healthy body....?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Paul Zuvella posted:

Joel Embiid is the most self aware human being on the planet and I love it
I feel like he's starting this business solely from some combination of either a) it's funny or b) so he can get good pre-made Shirley Temples in his fridge

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
where's the postmortem on the lin/parsons bromance

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Adun posted:

I don't think 28 is old and yes Pop played guys a lot of minutes until the science came in. Kawhi doesn't average 38 minutes despite the Spurs not having a real SF to replace him. Pop seems to think 33-34 minutes is what players should be averaging. I'm sure that would change a bit if it was a one man team like in New Orleans but rest is important to him.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tae posted:

A healthy body....?

A guard that can drive/penetrate. Also, a player that can score points.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://instagram.com/p/BM9zDz6jjrp/

proclick

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/Con_Chron/status/799725210807267329

If someone would like to buy me a Christmas gift.....

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

25 dunks on 187 . . . law and order dunks on murder.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Did LAC change its name from "Los Angeles Clippers" to "LA Clippers" while I wasn't looking.

Personally I think they should go with "LA Clippers of Los Angeles"

Dunking on dudes followed by taunting is my poo poo but iunno this one makes me feel weird.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Metapod posted:

https://twitter.com/Con_Chron/status/799725210807267329

If someone would like to buy me a Christmas gift.....

Lol thats not very nice like jerry rice

• Locked thread