Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Lol I just discovered Sombra's really douchey "cheers love" when you translocate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Opposing Farce posted:

Here's something I've been scratching my head over: why does Sombra's gun feel kind of piddly? Looking at the numbers on the wiki, it seems pretty solid--8 damage per round with 20 rounds per second means it's dealing 160 DPS per second before reloads and should be killing people just as fast if not faster than Tracer's pistols (which are 20 rounds per second at 6 damage per round). It's possible the numbers are wrong, but I shot a couple bots in the practice range and even took a quick video to review the timing and I'm pretty sure Tracer and Sombra do in fact have very similar TTKs if they're landing 100% bodyshots. In practice, though, it definitely doesn't feel like Sombra's killing people as fast as Tracer, and I'm not sure why that is. Is it just because she's not evasive and tenacious the way Tracer is? Tracer's blinks and rewind let her get in close and be a persistent nuisance, but Sombra generally has to bounce out of the fight entirely once you put pressure on her, so maybe she only feels like she lacks damage because she loses more DPS from spread and falloff than Tracer generally does and she can't always confirm her kills because she can't stay in the fight as long. Or maybe I'm full of poo poo and I don't understand math or maybe Sombra's gun is actually super good and everybody who's been saying it feels weak is just wrong or something, I don't fuckin know.

Sombra's problem is that the large clip doesn't help her that much. I very rarely found myself fully emptying it in most fights because I needed to GTFO or the enemy dived behind cover or used defense matrix or reflect or something. It's handy for wailing on Rein shields but there's a good chance some randomly fired arrow will fly a few feet past your head and kill you while you do it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sombra's gun has decent damage and drop off but the spread is bad so you have to be really close to get the most out of it. unlike tracer tho, sombra can only get in and out of an engagement one time, using cloak and translocate respectively, and she's slower in general so it's harder to stay in your optimal range as sombra than as tracer. so while on paper the gun is pretty strong, sombra herself makes using the gun effectively harder than any of the other offensive heroes. that's not necessarily a bad thing tho

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Opposing Farce posted:

Here's something I've been scratching my head over: why does Sombra's gun feel kind of piddly? Looking at the numbers on the wiki, it seems pretty solid--8 damage per round with 20 rounds per second means it's dealing 160 DPS per second before reloads and should be killing people just as fast if not faster than Tracer's pistols (which are 20 rounds per second at 6 damage per round). It's possible the numbers are wrong, but I shot a couple bots in the practice range and even took a quick video to review the timing and I'm pretty sure Tracer and Sombra do in fact have very similar TTKs if they're landing 100% bodyshots. In practice, though, it definitely doesn't feel like Sombra's killing people as fast as Tracer, and I'm not sure why that is. Is it just because she's not evasive and tenacious the way Tracer is? Tracer's blinks and rewind let her get in close and be a persistent nuisance, but Sombra generally has to bounce out of the fight entirely once you put pressure on her, so maybe she only feels like she lacks damage because she loses more DPS from spread and falloff than Tracer generally does and she can't always confirm her kills because she can't stay in the fight as long. Or maybe I'm full of poo poo and I don't understand math or maybe Sombra's gun is actually super good and everybody who says it feels weak is just wrong or something, I don't fuckin know.

Tracer does 240 damage over 1 second while Sombra does 160 is one of the differences. Over 3 seconds they both do the same damage numbers wise, doing 480 damage/3 seconds, but Tracer's burst damage is higher.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

As someone on a Winston kick right now, I'm greatly enjoying the frequency of Sombras in each game right now.

Some are pretty smart in hanging around invisible in their team's backline, wait for me to leap in to try to gank their healer, then hacking me so I can't jump out. Just a lil tip for any Sombras getting wrecked by Winston.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i feel like sombra should be able to overwrite each others hacks so she isn't so terrible on offense

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

One day I will be an average Sombra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXU1wkVKcI

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Relin posted:

i feel like sombra should be able to overwrite each others hacks so she isn't so terrible on offense
I'd rather the hacks just disappear when you kill her, so you don't need a Sombra to counter a Sombra

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you don't really need to counter sombra at all

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
been gone for three days havent popped in any thread at all

how is the sombra? shpould i worry?? or just hook another 1 pop with a gun

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
You should worry if Sombra is on your team

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

verbal enema posted:

been gone for three days havent popped in any thread at all

how is the sombra? shpould i worry?? or just hook another 1 pop with a gun

She is awful. You have nothing to worry about. She's basically a free kill for most of the cast.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think she's actually that bad but she's situational and roadhog shouldn't have too much trouble with her. She's more annoying to rein, zen and lucio

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
All of Sombra's cooldown's are too god drat long, it's a miserable experience. I dont ever have more than 1 or 2 kits hacked because you NEED to save it for rein's shield

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
is this like an ana rewind kind introduction dealio or she is just not v good rn?

not tryna talk S i'm just curious cuz ana was actually p drat ok off rip

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

she has a cool kit that can do really nasty things but people are bad at her and her gun's not amazing. trying to play her like you would tracer is gonna get you killed more often than not. I could see her getting some buffs like ana did post release and becoming really really good, also like ana, but it's too soon to tell if she actually needs them or not

roadhog is better than he was post patch tho so your "just hook her" plan will work fine either way

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:slick:

now for golden balls

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

she has a cool kit that can do really nasty things but people are bad at her and her gun's not amazing. trying to play her like you would tracer is gonna get you killed more often than not. I could see her getting some buffs like ana did post release and becoming really really good, also like ana, but it's too soon to tell if she actually needs them or not

Yeah, peoples' reaction to Ana when she first dropped was kind of quaint in retrospect but to be fair she did get some slight buffs and I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility for Sombra to receive the same. Like Ana I feel like her kit is mostly in a good place of being all the tools she needs, but being tweaked slightly could make her come into her own.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dre2Dee2 posted:

All of Sombra's cooldown's are too god drat long, it's a miserable experience. I dont ever have more than 1 or 2 kits hacked because you NEED to save it for rein's shield
The only long cooldown she has is hack, and you usually don't need it-most of the time you wanna hack healthpacks which lasts forever, throw tele on healthpack, invis to run behind enemies and then try to get a pick or at least harass before tele'ing back(and once you build ult doing this, use ult to stuff enemy pushes). tele and invis have 6s cooldowns so you can do this on a loop constantly without running into cooldown trouble as long as you don't overextend

of course, managing to get picks like that depends on you having good tracking+sense of when to engage and IMO tracer's better on average. also she's better on defense?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
where's my OW mod that makes small medkits slices of pizza and large medkits full pizza pies

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh wait, healthpack hacks last the whole match? That's actually kinda handy, even if you can only reasonably do a couple before you're needed elsewhere.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Xarbala posted:

Oh wait, healthpack hacks last the whole match? That's actually kinda handy, even if you can only reasonably do a couple before you're needed elsewhere.

No, they last for 60 seconds. "Forever" was an exaggeration. It is a very long time, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can rehack a health kit before the timer on the hack runs out tho

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Opposing Farce posted:

No, they last for 60 seconds. "Forever" was an exaggeration. It is a very long time, though.

Oh

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Do you get punished if you leave right when a game starts, so the game doesn't count?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

qkkl posted:

Do you get punished if you leave right when a game starts, so the game doesn't count?

In comp? Yes.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

qkkl posted:

My understanding is you can pull out during the "assembling heroes" countdown, but any time after that (including during setup) is a strike, and if you get five strikes over your last twenty games you take a -75% experience penalty for a few games.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm trying to get my girlfriend's brother into OW, we're both PS4 scrubs. I have downloaded the client on his PS4 while he's at work (9gb), is it going to pull the bullshit 'lol you have to download the rest of the game horrendously slow when free weekend goes live' or are we all set for good video game times when it starts?

I didn't bring my copy because I'm just visiting and in another county.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean the Sombra patch a couple of days ago was 10GB so it might make you download that

I dunno how free weekends work on PS4 though

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
People are so terrified of being hacked by sombra. It's astounding how much less people pay attention to the point on ps4 when there's the chance they'll be hacked.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There are some whiney rear end babies when people are bad at a character or don't heal correctly or don't play correctly in the random hero brawl. Like goddamn man if you want to play that seriously go play competitive or even quick play now. The arcade should be the last place you should be taking the game seriously. ESPECIALLY in a mode where it's possible to end up with like 4 sombras

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lol i was battling hard against sombra last night, then come in here and see everyone talk about how bad she is. I'm super new (lvl 20) but mostly play Pharah so I definitely feel the pain. She's a fast moving target with good accuracy who can disable the healthkits + jumpjets pharah relies on. It's a bit rough!

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
Sombra is good right up to the point you shoot her in the teeth. If she catches you out alone, some classes def rely on abilities more than others though.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kehveli posted:

Sombra is good right up to the point you shoot her in the teeth. If she catches you out alone, some classes def rely on abilities more than others though.

Like Tyson said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

To me it's frustrating that there's a character who people play like tracer lite + stuns + area control + invisibility. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it certainly is a combo to get used to.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
1v1 seems to favor some heroes, although I'll admit I only played 4 or 5 match ups so far. But in every match I've played Symmetra, Torb, and Zarya. Symmetra and Zarya and especially uninteresting cause people hide in a room or retreat to allow shields to recharge. Barfo

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Sombra is as complex as Genji, it's going to take people 30+ hours of playing her before her true potential is realized. Genji didn't even see a lot of play in comp until people started reliably doing his combo and destroying everything else with his ult.

Her problem is that she needs to be played the same way as Winston: avoid jumping into the middle of the fight until the death-balls are engaged, then flank the healers and be ready to disappear if the front line turns around. People are literally playing her like Tracer instead.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Wildtortilla posted:

Symmetra and Zarya and especially uninteresting cause people hide in a room or retreat to allow shields to recharge.
As long as you're within range of the other Zarya they should never get away, and then it's just a matter of outtracking them with m1+punishing m2 with barrier.
Sym 1v1 is actually hotass garbage though, just a test of patience.

Top tier 1v1s:
  • McCree
  • Pharah
  • Widowmaker
  • Genji
  • Reinhardt(ALL MINDGAMES BABY)
  • Soldier 76
  • Ana

Good 1v1s:
  • Tracer(not top tier because of kiting to get rewind off cooldown)
  • Sombra
  • Junkrat
  • Zenyatta(no footsteps means sneaky zen strats)
  • Mei
  • Zarya
  • Bastion if you both decide to have an honorable recon mode duel

Tolerable 1v1s:
  • Hanzo(sonar arrow+arrows around corners makes it a bit slow/binary)
  • Torbjörn
  • Roadhog
  • Winston
  • D.Va

poo poo tier 1v1s:
  • Symmetra
  • Bastion if you don't both decide to have an honorable recon mode duel

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
I want 1v1 to be a modified version every other week with changed hero abilities, to the tune of no turrets, limited selfhealing etc. It's fun sometimes, but with torb if you want to just get it over with it's essentially rush in and plink them in the nose and hope you chose the right route, with bastion if you want to secure a win it's farming your ult for a minute, symmetra it's either honorable no turrets or waiting for the to be bored etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Mei duels are hardly tolerable. Unless you score 2 headshots in a row before they block it's usually up to whoever gets ult/freeze off first. Otherwise they just block+wall to stop killing shots.